Piaf dedicated her recording of the song to the French Foreign Legion. At the time of the recording, France was engaged in a military conflict, the Algerian War (1954–1962), and the 1st REP (1st Foreign Parachute Regiment) — which backed a temporary putsch of 1961 by the French military against the civilian leadership of Algeria — adopted the song when their resistance was broken. The leadership of the Regiment was arrested and tried but the non-commissioned officers, corporals and Legionnaires were assigned to other Foreign Legion formations. They left the barracks singing the song, which has now become part of the French Foreign Legion heritage and is sung when they are on parade.
- Updated !Earthquakes in the last 24 hours in the world seismic activity in the U.S. 5.5 and 5.2 ! More info here.
- Japan : For the most accurate info on the nuclear disaster go to: Paul Langley’s Nuclear History Blog.Here.
- Obama regime again usurping Congress.(TownHall).As the Obama agenda proves increasingly impotent, Americans have witnessed Obama’s czars crash and burn or run for cover over the past thirty months. From Van Jones to Kevin Jennings to Nancy-Ann DeParle to Todd Stern to Ron Bloom, Obama’s style of management — bypassing the senate-confirmed agency heads — has failed to yield the results promised to the American people. You would think Obama would give up on the failed idea of using a curious collection of White House czars to manage complex economic and regulatory issues. No way.Instead, in the American Jobs Act, Obama is proposing a new group of czars as a part of his “jobs” act — the American Infrastructure Financing Authority (AIFA) czars. President Obama’s newest czars will be given the authority to manage over a trillion dollars of federal funding for roads, bridges, buildings, waterways, dams and other infrastructure. . . .As with Obama’s other czars, the AIFA czar comes with infrastructure requirements of his own: staff, office space and technology needed to perform the job. Managing what is in reality a trillion dollar budget is going to require a huge new staff that will, essentially represent an entire new federal agency. Make no mistake: the AIFA Czar position is redundant. All of the infrastructure projects and tasks identified to be performed by Obama’s new Czar are already the responsibilities of the Senate-confirmed heads of Department of Transportation, the U.S. General Services Administration and the Department of Energy.Of course, nowhere does President Obama tell us why a new czar is required to manage infrastructure projects. More importantly, Obama does not explain why the vast federal bureaucracy now responsible for these activities must be bypassed and a new, redundant agency is built.Hmmmm……Communist Dictatorship rising.Read the full story here.
- Obama heads to U.N. touting Libya, backing Israel against Palestinian statehood.(AlArabiya).U.S. President Barack Obama embarks on a diplomatic marathon this week at the United Nations, touting his approach to Libya, but hoping to contain a Palestinian ambitions for statehood.Leaving behind for 48 hours domestic battles with Republican opponents and an uphill battle to see his jobs plan move through Congress, Obama will huddle with a host of world leaders on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly and speak before the chamber early Wednesday.Obama will “have a chance to address the dramatic change that’s taken place in the course of last year,” including the emerging nation of South Sudan, transfer of power in the Ivory Coast and a wave of unrest and transformation with the Arab Spring, said Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes.On the Israel-Palestinian issue, the U.S. leader will also “express our support for a negotiated, two-state solution between the parties,” Rhodes told reporters on Friday.His agenda will likely hinge on that crisis burning in the Middle East, as the Palestinians make a landmark bid for statehood, despite the promise of a U.S. veto at the Security Council as Washington solidifies its staunch backing of Israel.If the Security Council effort fails, however, the Palestinian leadership is set to take the effort to the more sympathetic General Assembly.“The United States finds itself in an impossible position,” said Jon Alterman, a Middle East expert at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS).The Obama administration “will end up once again on the wrong end of a lopsided vote in the General Assembly, surely leading to all sorts of complaints the administration has no credibility in the international stage,” he added.Obama anticipates meeting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in New York, but there is no meeting on his itinerary with Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas.Beyond the immediate issue, Obama also plans to meet one-on-one with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, amid Ankara’s concurrent move to distance itself from Israel over the raid of flotilla ships to Gaza last year.However, beyond the geopolitical crises and revolutionary movements shaping the world, Europe’s debt burden will also be a key topic, threatening to drag down European countries down and stall the US economy recovery.“I believe that we are watching what has been over an 18-month crisis starting to morph into a slow-motion collapse,” said Heather Conley of CSIS, noting it was certainly set to be a topic for hallway chatter in the halls of New York this week.Hmmmm…..What is the ‘relation’ between Erdogan and Obama, is he Obama’s attackdog against Israel?Read the full story here.
- House Speaker John Boehner Says US Must Be A Strong Partner And Reliable Ally For Israel.(Matzav).House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner says the U.S. commitment to Israel should be stronger now as the American ally faces challenges to its existence in the volatile Middle East.In an address today to the Jewish National Fund conference in Cincinnati, the Ohio Republican dismissed suggestions that Israel has isolated itself and he argued that the Jewish state stands above others as the “one true beacon of freedom and opportunity” in the region.The U.S., he said, must stand by Israel’s side “not just as a broker or observer – but as a strong partner and reliable ally.”A text of Boehner’s address was made available in advance.Boehner’s remarks come on the eve of the U.N. General Assembly session in New York, which is shaping up as a difficult diplomatic period for Israel.The Palestinian Authority intends to seek recognition of statehood despite a threat of a U.S. veto in the Security Council and the strong objections of the United States and Israel.Boehner’s speech comes amid renewed attention to President Barack Obama’s policies toward Israel. Republicans say the president isn’t forceful enough on behalf of Israel, and political questions have been raised on whether the Republicans can capitalize on the discontent and make inroads with Jewish voters.Last Tuesday, Republican Bob Turner scored a surprising win in a historically Democratic New York congressional district in part because of complaints about Obama’s Mideast policies. The district also has a large concentration of Orthodox Jews.In May, Obama called for Israel’s 1967 borders with mutually agreed land swaps to serve as the starting point in Israeli-Palestinian negotiations. That proposal was rejected by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.Boehner, in his speech, did not mention Obama, but did recall his invitation to Netanyahu to address a joint session of Congress, also in May, and the message the prime minister delivered.“The American people deserved to hear from him – and Washington, quite frankly, needed to hear what he had to say,” Boehner said. “I invite the people in this room – and anyone as concerned as I am about the future of Israel – to speak out. Washington needs to hear from you, too.”Boehner said Israel has shown that it seeks “nothing more than peace … a peace agreed to by the two states and only the two states.” The speaker said Netanyahu understands that peace will require compromise.Hmmmm…..Message to Obama?Read the full story here.
- Kaiser Family Foundation 2009 grant to Michelle Obama’s ‘Urban Health Initiative’ sparks more Solyndra ‘crony capitalism’ questions.(DailyCaller).A Daily Caller review of the George Kaiser Family Foundation’s income tax returns found that during the same year billionaire investor George Kaiser successfully secured $535 million in government loan guarantees for the now-failed solar panel manufacturer Solyndra, his private philanthropy donated to a political cause close to the hearts of several high-ranking Obama administration officials. Kaiser, a major Obama donor, was a frequent White House visitor during the week before the Obama administration approved that taxpayer-underwritten financial deal.A $10,000 donation to the Urban Health Initiative at the University of Chicago Medical Center appears on the group’s 2009 tax forms. It was also in 2009 that Kaiser successfully sought to lock down a loan guarantee for the green-energy company Solyndra through his two investment vehicles: Argonaut Ventures and the GKFF Investment Company.While this donation seems small compared to the far larger numbers involved in the Solyndra scandal, it adds to the pattern of possible connections between the Obama administration and the growing Solyndra scandal.Several of President Barack Obama’s senior inner-circle advisers worked with or for now-first lady Michelle Obama when she held a leadership post at the University of Chicago Medical Center and helped create the Urban Health Initiative program. The Washington Post reported in 2008 that Valerie Jarrett was the medical center’s chairwoman, and David Axelrod provided community support-building services.“One of Barack’s best friends, Eric Whitaker, is executive vice president at the center and is now in charge of the Urban Health Initiative,” the Post added in the year Obama was elected to the presidency. Whitaker is still in that role today.George Kaiser’s four White House visits during the week before Solyndra secured its $535 million loan guarantee — and his $53,500 in donations to the president’s 2008 presidential campaign – have drawn scrutiny from critics questioning whether the Obama administration engaged in political favoritism. Now Kaiser’s philanthropic gift to one of Michelle Obama’s public health projects is another indication of what may amount to a White House fully engaged in crony capitalism.Hmmmmm…..Thugocracy in it’s natural habitat?Read the full story here.
- The Dutch Ask Their Central Bank: “Where Is Our Gold?”(ZeroHedge).Think Ron Paul is the only person asking questions about the actual gold supposedly backing the currency in circulation. Think again: the “ask your central banker where his gold is” tour just went global after the Dutch the Dutch Socialists Party (SP)’s spokesman for financial affairs, Mr. Ewout Irrgang, asked the Dutch Secretary of the Treasury 10 detailed questions about the gold supposedly held by the Dutch Central Bank. Questions vary from: where is the gold? why are gold and gold receivables one line item? how much gold is loaned out? As Dutch website Vrijspreker.nl points out, “This is potentially a big breakthrough for global awareness on how central banks hide crucial info from the public and the disastrous effects central banks have on society.” Is Belgium next to ask the same question in a vain attempt to understand just how much of its gold is permanently “lent out”? And after Belgium, everyone else with a central bank perhaps?The Questions:
- Did the Dutch Central Bank (DNB) loan part of their gold? If yes, how much and to whom?
- Why are gold and gold loans stated as one line item in the annual report 2010 instead of mentioned as 2 separate items?
- Can you give an overview of the yearly yields of the gold loans during the past years?
- Where IS the physical gold of DNB? At which locations and how much is where? What is the reason that the gold is still at these locations?
- What was the most important reason for DNB to sell the gold in the past? Are the storage costs a reason? What are the actual costs to store the gold?
- Can you confirm that since 1991 of the 1700 tons of gold about 1100 tons have been sold? Is the remark of journalist Peter de Waard correct that because of these historic sales there is a loss of about 30 billion euro? If not correct, what is the right amount?
- How much of the National Debt has during the past 20 years been paid off with the proceeds of the gold sales? Are you of opinion that the sustainability of the national debt will be improved by paying off the debt and at the same time selling the gold?
- What is in your opinion the present function of the gold stock?
- What is the relation between the size of the market of the gold stock and the size of the market of gold derivates? What are the possible consequences of this?
- Can you confirm that recently a number of countries have even enlarged their physical gold stock? Do you have an explanation for this development?Read the full story here.
- Muslim Group Seeks to Ban Sharia Law in America.(DocsTalk).The debate over Sharia law in America is taking some interesting twists and turns.In Oklahoma, courts are debating whether citizens have the right to ban Sharia law. And in Michigan, a group of Muslims have actually come out in strong opposition to Islamic law in America. In the case of Oklahoma, a 2010 ballot initiative put a stop to considerations of Islamic laws in making state court decisions. The measure, which passed by a 70 percent margin, was challenged by the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR). The group claimed that the initiative was a direct violation of the Constitution’s Establishment Clause. ABC News has more:Now, a panel of judges from the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals will decide whether a lower court was right to block the ballot initiative. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) joined CAIR in challenging this anti-Sharia measure.In a separate debate, the American Islamic Leadership Conference (AILC) recently announced support for a Michigan bill (HB 4679) that would prevent state judges from utilizing foreign laws. This, to the surprise of some, would include Sharia law. This group, comprised of Muslim adherents, is opposed do any state court decisions that would conflict with American law. In an official release, the group writes:
As American Muslims, we believe that the law should treat people of all faiths equally, while protecting Muslims and non-Muslims alike from extremist attempts to use the legal instrument of shari‘ah (also known as Islamic jurisprudence, or fiqh) to incubate, within the West, a highly politicized and dangerous understanding of Islam that is generally known as “Islamism,” or “radical Islam.”
In the statement, the group also claims that it sees no problem with the law and that it will not, as some would likely charge, hamper the rights of Muslims. Additionally, the AILC opposes the “fear mongering” it claims more radical groups are undertaking here in America, writing:As American Muslims we are conscious of the fact that Muslim Brotherhood legacy groups and other Islamists and their surrogates in the U.S. are trying their best to portray any opposition to manifestations of shari‘ah law as “racism” and “discrimination against Muslims.”According to the Huffington Post, Manda Ervin, who signed on to the release and who heads the Maryland-based Alliance of Iranian Women, explained why she’s opposed to Sharia law here in America:“Many of us fled the Muslim world to escape Shariah law…We do not wish these laws to follow us here.”But not all Muslims agree with state laws that would officially forbid Sharia compliance. Abdullahi Ahmed An-Na’im, a law professor at Emory University in Atlanta, has the following to say about initiatives like the ones currently being debated in Oklahoma and Michigan:“It‘s fearmongering and it’s reckless. It’s ridiculous that state legislatures are wasting time on a law that tells judges to do what they are already constitutionally bound to do anyway.”Michigan and Oklahoma are not alone. More than 20 states are examining laws that would ban Sharia in courtrooms. It is important, however, to understand that each of these laws have a different focus. While some explicitly point out Islamic law and solely target its tenets, other proposals — like the one in Michigan — more broadly target foreign laws. The AILC has come out in support for latter but not the former.Read the full story here.
Last Of A Dying Breed: Investigators Wayne Madsen and Robert S. Finnegan at Obama statue in the courtyard of the public school he attended as an INDONESIAN CITIZEN. It was illegal for ANY foreigner at that time to attend ANY public school, and Madsen now has the Indonesian Law Statues to prove it, along with the documentation to prove Obama’s attendance. So just exactly what WAS Obama’s citizenship when he attended school here?
Bomb Shell – Barack Hussein Obama renounced his American citizenship in Indonesia!
A coalition of Canadian churches, under the auspcies of Christians United for Israel, together with Canada’s grassroots organization, B’nai Brith Canada, held a rally at Canada Christian College to protest the unilateral declaration of Palestinian Statehood.
The keynote speaker was the Honourable Jason Kenney, Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism. Also in attendance were provincial and municipal politicians as well as pastoral and rabbinical leaders.
- Updated !Earthquakes in the last 24 hours in the world seismic activity in Japan 5.8 and 5.1 ! More info here.
- Japan : For the most accurate info on the nuclear disaster go to: Paul Langley’s Nuclear History Blog.Here.
- Will Erdogan declare war on Cyprus and the European Union?Turkey is ready to send an exploration rig, accompanied by a warship, to claim its rights off Cyprus.(HurriyetDaily).Tension between Turkey and Greek Cyprus is moving toward crisis in the eastern Mediterranean Sea with Ankara’s announcement of plans to send an oil and gas exploration rig to the already unstable area, accompanied by a warship. “We have accomplished all preparatory work. We are ready to finalize the agreement [with Turkish Cyprus] to begin the process and send our platform off the Cyprus coast,” a Foreign Ministry official told the Hürriyet Daily News on Sunday.The statement followed news that Texas-based Noble Energy, operating under license from the Greek Cypriot government, had moved its drilling rig into position over the weekend. It is expected to start work soon on a block southeast of the island.The Greek Cypriot initiative pushed Turkey and Turkish Cyprus to announce their own action plan in retaliation. Under the plan, the Turkish Petroleum Corporation, or TPAO, will be licensed by Turkish Cyprus to launch exploration and drilling activities in the disputed area. A senior Energy Ministry official was in Nicosia on Sunday to review the current state of agreement, which will likely be signed within days if the Greek Cypriot administration does not retreat from its position.“We will be very cautious in this process; all our steps will be taken as retaliation and [in response] to Greek Cypriot moves,” the Foreign Ministry official said. Noting that Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu will meet with U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon in New York this week, the diplomat said Turkey will try all diplomatic channels to avert this crisis. “If we cannot succeed, there will be no room left for us other than to retaliate,” the official said. The Greek Cypriot drilling plan will also kill off the U.N.’s plan to reunify the divided island, Davutoğlu said Sunday. “The Greek Cypriots are intending to sabotage the talks, to change the nature of existing ties by the way of provocation,” he said, warning that such unilateral actions would doom the island to permanent division. “If they claim they have their own area where they can do whatever they want, then, by implication, they accept that the [Northern Cyprus] has its own area as well. This is a shift to a two-state mentality.”If the Greek Cypriots begin drilling, Davutoğlu added, Turkey and northern Cyprus will respond by signing a continental shelf delimitation accord to pave the way for their own exploration and “the two-state prospect will further deepen.”Davutoğlu said he discussed the latest tensions with the U.N. envoy in Cyprus, Alexander Downer, and was planning to hold further talks with Ban in New York this week. Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Beşir Atalay meanwhile said late Saturday that Turkey will freeze its relations with the European Union if Cyprus takes over the union’s rotating presidency next year before a solution is reached on the divided island. “If the negotiations [on Cyprus] do not end positively and the EU hands over the presidency to southern Cyprus, the main crisis will be between the EU and Turkey. Because then we will freeze our relations with the EU,” the Anatolia news agency quoted him as saying.Hmmmm….NATO must remove Turkey from their Group,clearly these actions are against the NATO Charter.Place the rocket shield in Bulgaria or even better in Israel!Read the full story here.
- Related – Turkey blocks Israeli bid for opening NATO office.(HurriyetDaily).Turkey has blocked an Israeli move to open a representation office at NATO headquarters, its foreign minister said Sunday, adding that data collected by a radar system in eastern Turkey would not be shared with Israel.“Israel recently made an attempt to open an office at NATO [headquarters] in Brussels. We said we would veto this attempt and the issue was not even put on the agenda,” Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said in an interview with the CNNTürk news channel.A Foreign Ministry official told the Hürriyet Daily News that Israel made the request under NATO’s Mediterranean Dialogue program, launched in 1994 with seven Mediterranean countries.Israel attempted to have its request approved earlier this month after Ankara downgraded ties with Tel Aviv over its failure to apologize for a deadly raid on a Gaza-bound aid ship, the official said, adding that the issue could not even make its way onto NATO’s agenda after Turkey threatened to use its veto.Davutoğlu insisted that information gathered by a U.S.-led radar system, to be stationed in Turkey’s Malatya province as part of a NATO missile-shield project, would be available for use only by alliance members, denying suggestions that intelligence would be shared with Israel.“We will provide support only for systems that belong to NATO and are used solely by members of NATO,” he said.The minister dismissed as “manipulation” a newspaper report that quoted an unnamed U.S. official as saying that data collected by the radar would be used to help defend Israel, stressing that Washington had assured Ankara that no such official existed.According to a Wall Street Journal report Friday, U.S. officials said they planned to fuse data from radars in Turkey, Israel and other sites to create a comprehensive picture of the missile threat to the region. Turkey, for its part, could also benefit from real-time data from radar the United States already operates in Israel, the report said.Hmmmm…..It is high time for NATO and The US to act against this rising Ahmadinejad style Islamic retoric.Read the full story here.
- The Solyndra Fraud – Fraud against the United States is one of the most serious felony offenses in the federal penal law.(NationalReview).The solar-energy company was a con game.The Solyndra debacle is not just Obama-style crony socialism as usual. It is a criminal fraud. That is the theory that would be guiding any competent prosecutor’s office in the investigation of a scheme that cost victims — in this case, American taxpayers — a fortune.Fraud against the United States is one of the most serious felony offenses in the federal penal law. It is even more serious than another apparent Solyndra violation that has captured congressional attention: the Obama administration’s flouting of a statute designed to protect taxpayers.Homing in on one of the several shocking aspects of the Solyndra scandal, lawmakers noted that, a few months before the “clean energy” enterprise went belly-up last week, the Obama Energy Department signed off on a sweetheart deal. In the event of bankruptcy — the destination to which it was screamingly obvious Solyndra was headed despite the president’s injection of $535 million in federal loans — the cozily connected private investors would be given priority over American taxpayers. In other words, when the busted company’s assets were sold off, Obama pals would recoup some of their losses, while you would be left holding the half-billion-dollar bag.The criminal law, by contrast, is not content to assume the good faith of government officials. It targets anyone — from low-level swindlers to top elective officeholders — who attempts to influence the issuance of government loans by making false statements; who engages in schemes to defraud the United States; or who conspires “to defraud the United States, or any agency thereof, in any manner or for any purpose.” The penalties are steep: Fraud in connection with government loans, for example, can be punished by up to 30 years in the slammer.Although Solyndra was a private company, moreover, it was using its government loans as a springboard to go public. When the sale of securities is involved, federal law criminalizes fraudulent schemes, false statements of material fact, and statements that omit any “material fact necessary in order to make the statements made . . . not misleading.” And we’re not just talking about statements made in required SEC filings. Any statement made to deceive the market can be actionable. In 2003, for example, the Justice Department famously charged Martha Stewart with securities fraud. Among other allegations, prosecutors cited public statements she had made in press releases and at a conference for securities analysts — statements in which she withheld damaging information in an effort to inflate the value of her corporation and its stock.That’s exactly what President Obama did on May 26, 2010, with his Solyndra friends about to launch their initial public offering of stock. The solar-panel company’s California factory was selected as the fitting site for a presidential speech on the virtues of confiscating taxpayer billions to prop up pie-in-the-sky clean-energy businesses.By then, the con game was already well under way. Solyndra had first tried to get Energy Act funding during the Bush administration, but had been rebuffed shortly before President Bush left office. Small wonder: Solyndra, as former hedge-fund manager Bruce Krasting concluded, was “an absolute complete disaster.” Its operating expenses, including supply costs, nearly doubled its revenue in 2009 — and that’s without factoring in capital expenditures and other costs in what, Krasting observes, is a “low margin” industry. The chance that Solyndra would ever become profitable was essentially nonexistent, particularly given that solar-panel competitors backed by China produce energy at drastically lower prices.Yet, as Stiles reports, within six days of Obama’s taking office, an Energy Department official acknowledged that the Solyndra “approval process” was suddenly being considered anew. Hmmmm….Can we start up the Impeachment procedure now?Read the full story here.
- Hamas rejects U.N. bid as it compromises ‘historical Palestine’.(AlArabiya).Hamas on Sunday said it would not back a U.N. membership bid, and warned that no Palestinian leader had a mandate to sacrifice fundamental Palestinian rights.Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniya, speaking in Gaza, said the group also continued to support the establishment of a Palestinian state on any part of “historical Palestine” but would not seek to disrupt the U.N. bid.His comments came as Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas heads to New York to submit a formal bid for U.N. membership for a Palestinian state on the lines that existed before the 1967 Six Day War.Speaking to a meeting of the Palestinian legislative council, Haniya warned that Palestinian rights must be protected.“There is no mandate for any Palestinian leadership to infringe on Palestinian national rights, nor is there a mandate for any Palestinian actor to make historic concessions on Palestinian land or the right of the Palestinians, foremost among them the right of return,” he warned.“Given this position, we reiterate our rejection of this bid,” he added.But the leader of the Islamist group that rules the Gaza Strip stressed that Hamas would “not place obstacles in the way of the establishment of a Palestinian state with full sovereignty.”“We repeat today that we are with the establishment of a Palestinian state on any liberated part of Palestinian land that is agreed upon by the Palestinian people, without recognizing Israel or conceding any inch of historical Palestine.”Hamas has made clear it will not throw its support behind Abbas’s move, but has toed a cautious line, choosing not to condemn the plan directly.Speaking during the meeting, senior Hamas official Khalil al-Hayya said the legislative council should approach the U.N. for recognition of a Palestinian state on all of “historical Palestine,” including areas now in Israel.He called on the council to “apply for recognition of a Palestinian state on all the Palestinian territory and confirmation of the right of Palestinians to live within the borders of this state.”“We appeal to the U.N. to invalidate the entity that took the decision to establish itself on the land of another,” Hayya said, in reference to Israel.Hayya called on the international community to “apply pressure to ensure the implementation of international resolutions, particularly those that uphold the right of the Palestinian people to self-determination.”Abbas is expected to present later this week a formal request for U.N. membership of a Palestinian state on the pre-Six Day War lines, encompassing both Gaza and the West Bank, including annexed Arab east Jerusalem.The bid is fiercely opposed by Israel and the United States and has divided much of the international community, with Europe and Washington organizing last-minute diplomacy in an attempt to head off a Security Council vote on the measure.Read the full story here.
- Updated !Earthquakes in the last 24 hours in the world seismic activity in Japan 5.6 and Russia 5.4 ! More info here.
- Japan : For the most accurate info on the nuclear disaster go to: Paul Langley’s Nuclear History Blog.Here.
- Police Set Barricades as ‘Days of Rage’ Protesters Target Wall Street .Live updates-With Some Live Video.Source : TheBlaze .
- Obama says Americans must pay fair share to cut deficit and pay for his “PLAN”.(AlArabiya).President Barack Obama said on Saturday that Americans need to be ready to “pay their fair share” to narrow the U.S. deficit, previewing his proposals to Congress that are expected to include more taxes on the rich. In his weekly radio and video address, the Democrat said his $447 billion jobs plan that features tax breaks for workers and small businesses, plus funds for public works projects and schools, “will not add to the deficit. It will be paid for.”“On Monday, I’ll lay out my plan for how we’ll do that − how we’ll pay for this plan and pay down our debt by following some basic principles: making sure we live within our means and asking everyone to pay their fair share.”(Hmmm…..Adressing Congress it was “”Everything in this bill will be paid for. Everything.”)Obama has repeatedly argued for the wealthiest Americans to face higher taxes with fewer loopholes and exceptions as part of the effort to ensure the U.S. debt load remains in control. He is likely to float more taxes on the rich, as well as companies getting some tax breaks, in his Monday suggestions to a congressional “super committee” tasked with finding at least $1.2 trillion in budget savings over 10 years.Republicans, who have raised the volume on Washington’s fiscal problems as the November 2012 presidential election nears, see higher taxes on the wealthy as a problem for jobs, given that entrepreneurs and companies would be strongly affected.In his party’s weekly address, Republican Congressman Peter Roskam said Obama’s barnstorming about the jobs bill had masked other constraints on the economy that are keeping people from getting back to work.“Washington has become a red tape factory, with more than 4,000 rules in the pipeline − hundreds of which would cost our economy more than $100 million each annually,” Roskam said.The White House has conducted a regulatory overhaul to eliminate old and overlapping rules across U.S. government agencies. It was broadly welcomed by the private sector including major groups like the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.Roskam said more regulations should be pared back as part of the effort to tackle unemployment. “I hope the president will consider our ideas as we take a look at his,” he said.Hmmmm…….Read my Lips” More new Taxes”?Read the full story here.
- “The Perfect Solar Storm” – Storm Clouds Gather Over Obama, Solyndra.(Examiner).While the sun has set on Solyndra, the solar panel company that received more than $500 million of taxpayer money only to go bankrupt, storm clouds are gathering over the Obama administration and its relationship with the now-defunct company.Many of you may not know much about Solyndra and that is primarily because most media outlets have remained mum on the subject or are hiding the news. Like the Chicago Tribune, for instance. In its Sept. 14 edition, the unfortunate death of popular Chicago Bears player Brian Urlacher’s mother was the top “news” story. Coverage of House hearings into the bankruptcy of Solyndra and how it got $535 MILLION of taxpayer money was pushed all the way to the bottom of page 20. I guess taxpayers being on the hook for more than one-half a billion dollars is minor compared to the death of a football player’s mom.Anyway, in March 2009, at the urging of the Obama White House, the Department of Energy loan department approved a $535 million guaranteed loan to Solyndra. Of course, the administration is trying to blame the Bush White House (what new?) because the loan application occurred while Bush was president. The fact is the Energy Department under President Bush DENIED the loan request from Solyndra during the administration’s waning days in early January of 2009. The Bush Energy Department denied the loan because the “company didn’t have good long-term prospects.”However, that isn’t deterring the Obama Energy Department from rewriting history. Jonathan Silver, who heads the Energy loan program, said, “By the time the Obama administration took office in late January 2009, the loan program’s staff had already established a goal of, and timeline for, issuing the company a conditional loan guarantee commitment in March 2009.”History, Mr. Silver, proves otherwise. Internal Energy Department e-mails indicate the panel evaluating the loan unanimously decided to shelve Solyndra’s loan application two weeks BEFORE Obama took office. But that didn’t stop a green-driven Obama administration from changing course. Two months later, new Energy Secretary Steven Chu announced the government would give Solyndra a $535 million loan, funded with money from the stimulus program passed in February 2009.History also shows that the Obama White House asked the Energy Department to make a decision on the loan so they could schedule a visit by President Obama to the Solyndra facility to announce the loan. Records also show that Oklahoma billionaire George Kaiser was a private backer of the deal and that he raised tens of thousands of dollars in 2008 for President Obama’s presidential campaign. Kaiser made repeated visits to the White House as did Solyndra executives (more than 20 to be exact). Solyndra executives also were telling Democratic members of Congress that Solyndra was a financially strong company that was doing well. They were telling this to the Obama White House and Democratic members of Congress even just weeks before the company shut its doors and filed for bankruptcy.White House and Energy Department e-mails show the Obama administration was hot to trot over Solyndra. Vice President Biden appeared at the company’s groundbreaking ceremony in 2009 and President Obama showed up May 23, 2010 to tout the company, its green products and the green jobs being created. One month after Obama touted the green jobs being created at Solyndra, the company laid off 100 workers. One cannot make this stuff up.All of this took place even as administration analysts were skeptical of the company’s claims and business stability. “This deal is NOT (emphasis in original e-mail and not my own) ready for prime time,” one White House budget analyst wrote all the way back on March 10, 2009. A few days before Solyndra’s groundbreaking ceremony in September 2009, a Department of Energy official concluded the company would run out of money by September 2011. Wow, a government analyst actually got a prediction correct!Unfortunately, no one in the Obama administration seemed to care as it continually pushed the company as a shining light in the green movement and green jobs creation.Taxpayers lost more than half a billion dollars on this company, and now 1,100 people are out of work. The Obama administration, which received tens of thousands of dollars in campaign donations from those affiliated with Solyndra, continually touted the company as a shining example of the green economy and green jobs even as administration analysts doubted the company’s viability. And the agreement by the Energy Department to allow recent investors to recoup their investment before taxpayers is deemed illegal.And now the Obama White House is scrambling to approve another 15 loans through the Energy Department before Sept. 30. There is $10 billion still available in the Energy Department loan program that must be used by the end of the month or be re-allocated. Rather than wasting that money, wouldn’t it be better to either save that money or at least use it to help pay for the disaster costs associated with Hurricane Irene? I guess that makes too much sense.The worst presidency in U.S. history is now embroiled in a developing scandal, with another scandal brewing as well: the Fast and Furious gun-running program with Mexican drug gangs. Anyway, November 2012 can’t come soon enough, nor can January 2013.Hmmmm…..Can they startup the impeachment procedure now?Is this why they start Shoving Hillary on the front row?Realising Obama will get Impeached on this?Read the full story here.
- Related – White House Allowed Obama Campaign Donor To Act As Second Lender To Solyndra, Waived First Creditor Status.(NYTimes).Washington — The political brawl over Solyndra, the solar array manufacturer that received $528 million in government aid and then went bankrupt, shifted focus Friday to a decision by the Energy Department that allowed another lender to step in to help rescue the company.That decision in February gave Solyndra a temporary reprieve and a chance to survive, but it also forced the government to waive its privilege as first creditor in the event of a bankruptcy — which then occurred at the end of August.Complicating the politics of the situation for the Obama administration, the other lender was Argonaut, the investment company backed by George Kaiser, an Oklahoma oil billionaire who is an Obama campaign contributor. Argonaut was already heavily invested in Solyndra, and provided another $69 million in cash in exchange for taking over $75 million that Solyndra was owed by its customers.The Energy Department’s approval was required for Solyndra to borrow any new funds, because if the loan was consummated, the federal government would have to surrender its status as the most senior lender, in favor of the new lender.Hmmmm…….”Solyndra Gate”?Read the full story here.
- LightSquared Update: Obama Was A LightSquared Investor!(ObamaFailBlog).Earlier this week, we learned that the Obama administration pressured Air Force general William Shelton to change his testimony to help a company owned by Obama donor William Falcone.
The company is a LightSquared – a broadband satellite company.General Shelton contends LightSquared’s new wireless project interferes with military GPS systems.Turns out President Obama was doing alot more than attempting to help out a major donor – Obama himself was (or still is?) an early investor in LightSquared!
Obama himself was an early investor and came to the presidency a firm believer in expanding broadband. He remains close to other early investors, like Gips and investment manager George W. Haywood, inviting some to luxe social events at the White House and more intimate gatherings like a night of poker and beer.
Source: Huffington Post via The Lonely Conservative
And it gets worse… There were waivers involved:
Obama installed one of his biggest fundraisers, Julius Genachowski, a campaign “bundler” and broadband cheerleader, as chairman of the FCC, whose staff granted LightSquared a special waiver to operate.
Source: Huffington Post via The Lonely Conservative
Jeffrey J. Carlisle, the company’s vice president for regulatory affairs, served with Genachowski and Gips on Obama’s transition team.
Source: Huffington Post via The Lonely Conservative .Read the full story here.
Zulu is a 1964 historical war film depicting the Battle of Rorke’s Drift between the British Army and the Zulus in January 1879, during the Anglo-Zulu War.
The film was directed by blacklisted American screenwriter Cy Endfield and produced by Stanley Baker and Endfield, with Joseph E. Levine as executive producer. The screenplay is by John Prebble and Endfield, based on an article by Prebble, a historical writer. The film stars Stanley Baker and Michael Caine, in his first starring role, with a supporting cast that includes Jack Hawkins, Ulla Jacobsson, James Booth, Nigel Green, Paul Daneman, Glynn Edwards, Ivor Emmanuel and Patrick Magee. Future South African political leader Mangosuthu Buthelezi played Zulu King Cetshwayo kaMpande, his great grandfather. The opening and closing narration is spoken by Richard Burton.
A prequel, Zulu Dawn, about the Battle of Isandhlwana which immediately preceded the Battle of Rorke’s Drift, was released in 1979. It was also written by Cy Endfield, and starred Burt Lancaster and Peter O’Toole.
In 1879, a communiqué to the government in London, narrated by Richard Burton, details the crushing defeat of a British force at the hands of the Zulus at the Battle of Isandlwana. At a mass Zulu marriage ceremony witnessed by missionary Otto Witt (Jack Hawkins) and his daughter (Ulla Jacobsson), Zulu King Cetewayo (Chief Mangosuthu Buthelezi) is also informed of the great victory earlier in the day.
A company of the British Army’s 24th Regiment of Foot, depicted as a Welsh regiment, is using the missionary station of Rorke’s Drift in Natal as a supply depot and hospital for their invasion force across the border in Zululand. Upon receiving news of Isandhlwana from the Witts and that a large enemy force is advancing their way, Lieutenant John Chard (Stanley Baker) of the Royal Engineers assumes command of the small British detachment, being senior to Lieutenant Gonville Bromhead (Michael Caine), who, as an infantry officer, is rather put out to find himself subordinate to an engineer. Realising that they cannot outrun the Zulu army, especially with wounded soldiers, Chard decides to fortify the station and make a stand, using wagons, sacks of mealie, and crates of ship’s biscuit. When Witt becomes drunk and starts demoralising the men with his dire predictions, causing the soldiers of the Natal Native Contingent to desert, Chard orders him and his daughter to leave.
As the Zulu impis approach, a contingent of Boer horsemen arrives. They advise Chard that defending the station is hopeless before they flee, despite Chard’s desperate pleas for them to stay. Zulu riflemen open fire on the station from a neighbouring hill. Over the next few hours, wave after wave of Zulu attackers are repelled. The Zulus do succeed in setting fire to the hospital, leading to intense fighting between British patients and Zulu warriors as the former try to escape the flames. Malingering Private Henry Hook (James Booth) surprises everyone by taking charge in the successful breakout. Attacks continue into the night.
The next morning, at dawn, the Zulus approach to within several hundred yards and begin singing a war chant; the British respond by singing “Men of Harlech”. In the last assault, just as it seems the Zulus will finally overwhelm the tired defenders, the British soldiers fall back to a tiny redoubt that Chard had earlier ordered constructed out of mealie bags. With a reserve of soldiers hidden within the redoubt, they form into three ranks, and pour volley after volley into the stunned natives, who withdraw after sustaining heavy casualties. Later, the Zulus sing a song to honour the bravery of the defenders and leave.
The film ends with a narration by Richard Burton, listing the defenders who received the Victoria Cross, including Private Hook. Eleven were awarded for the actual fighting at Rorke’s Drift, the most ever for a regiment in a single battle in British military history.Hmmm……The highest number of Victoria Crosses ever awarded for a regiment in a single battle in British military history,they were Valiant as lions!
- Updated !Earthquakes in the last 24 hours in the world seismic activity in New zealand 6.0 , Japan 6.0 and Cuba 5.2 ! More info here.
- US hikers to be freed by Oman, Iraq help.(HurriyetDaily).Oman has sent a private jet to Iran for two U.S. hikers convicted of spying even as the Islamic republic’s judiciary said Wednesday that it was still reviewing the pair’s bail conditions, challenging earlier comments by the president.An apparent deal to release Shane Bauer, 28, and Josh Fattal, 29, on $1 million bail was thrown into doubt earlier Wednesday when Iran’s judiciary said the matter still needed review. The statement by the hard-line judiciary appeared to be a message that only its officials, and not the president, could set the terms of any possible release. President Mahmud Ahmadinejad is locked in a bitter power struggle with Iran’s ruling clerics, who control the courts.Just hours after the judiciary’s declaration, however, the Gulf state of Oman dispatched a private plane to Tehran for the hikers, according to an official at Oman’s Foreign Ministry. The Omani official gave no further details on any possible timetable for the release of the Americans, who were detained along the Iran-Iraq border in July 2009 along with a friend, Sarah Shourd. The present situation mirrors the circumstances surrounding Shourd’s release least year. Iran’s courts sidelined Ahmadinejad after his announcement of a $500,000 bail deal for her release and then set the ground rules for her to eventually fly out on an Omani royal jet just as Ahmadinejad was heading to New York.Oman has close ties with both Tehran and Washington and plays a strategic role in the region by sharing control with Iran of the Strait of Hormuz at the mouth of the Persian Gulf. Meanwhile, Iraqi President Jalal Talabani was also negotiating for the release of Bauer and Fattal with Iranian officials, an Iranian daily quoted an Iraqi envoy to Tehran as saying. “The Iraqi president contacted top Iranian officials after the pair’s families asked for his mediation … They will be handed over to the Swiss embassy in Tehran early next week,” the Thursday edition of Sharq daily quoted Nazem Dabbagh as saying.Read the full story here.
- Video- Netanyahu says he’ll address UN ahead of PA state vote.(JPost).After weeks of deliberation, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu announced Thursday that he would go to a United Nations General Assembly meeting next week to discuss the Palestinian statehood bid. Speaking at a press conference with visiting Czech Prime Minister Petr Nečas, Netanyahu said he will “speak the truth to those who want to hear it” at the UN General Assembly.Netanyahu said that the General Assembly is not “the place where Israel generally gets reasonable hearing,” but it was nonetheless important to present Israel’s position. For weeks there was internal debate inside the Prime Minister’s Office whether he should go, or whether Israel should be represented by President Shimon Peres. One government official said only this week that the decision would be based on whether Netanyahu felt he could have any impact on the European countries whose position on the matter has yet to be decided. The prime minister also called on Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas not to bring the matter to the UN, but rather to return to peace negotiations with Israel. When asked how his country planned to vote on the statehood bid, Czech Prime Minister Petr Nečas said, “I would like to emphasis that at this moment I am unfamiliar with the format and context of the request.” The press conference came after Netanyahu held late-night meetings Wednesday with US envoys Dennis Ross and David Hale, and with EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, in an effort to head off what one diplomatic official termed a “diplomatic train wreck” at the UN.The focus of last-minute diplomatic fury, according to the official, was to prevent a “one-sided anti-Israeli resolution from being adopted by the UN.”None of the parties involved in the talks are being specific about what is being discussed, and it is not even clear whether the goal is to prevent the PA from going to the UN and asking for any type of statehood recognition, or whether the aim is to convince the Palestinians to bring to the UN a resolution that Israel could live with and that would form the basis for future negotiations.Abbas is due to speak to the General Assembly on September 23.An aide to Netanyahu said the prime minister also would address the forum that day and that efforts were under way to try to arrange meetings with US President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.Opposition leader Tzipi Livni on Thursday expressed doubt as to the effectiveness of Netanyahu’s decision to speak at the General Assembly.”I am fine with him going, but he will not affect any real change,” Livni stated in an interview with Israel Radio. “To change things you must act and not just give a speech,” she added, reiterating her position that the government must act to renew negotiations with the Palestinians and the failure to do so has led to the Palestinian UN bid.Read the full story here.
- Communities Get Smart about CAIR.(IP).Communities in Washington state and Ohio recently questioned the appropriateness of CAIR’s involvement in community programs.In Puyallup, Wash., a school district is considering whether it should allow CAIR to teach about Islam in the classroom.”For America’s sake, we don’t think that it’s fair that Islam gets a pass and the other religions don’t, but also because CAIR is a front for the Muslim brotherhood,” said a member of a local ACT! For America chapter.”We have a real problem with organizations with ties to terrorism that come into the public schools.”One parent said that school is not the time or place to learn about religion. Dozens said that they did not believe that CAIR should teach Islam in the classroom while other religions went unrepresented.In August, an Ohio Catholic school cancelled an interfaith event with CAIR after the school received a flood of emails advising against the partnership. School president Kirsten MacDougal said the emails were from those who follow news about CAIR’s national office.”We share the concern over safety, but it is sad that this had distracted from our positive intent on both sides,” said MacDougal.CAIR was incorporated in 1994 by three members of the Islamic Association for Palestine (IAP), a propaganda outlet for a U.S.-based Hamas support network. The FBI severed relations with the group three years ago after reviewing evidence from a terrorism-financing prosecution which showed CAIR’s founders were part of the Hamas support network. Prosecutors cast CAIR as “a participant in an ongoing and ultimately unlawful conspiracy to support a designated terrorist organization, a conspiracy from which CAIR never withdrew.”CAIR’s petition to be removed from a list of unindicted co-conspirators in the case failed. A district court judge ruled that “the government has produced ample evidence to establish the associations of CAIR…with Hamas.Hmmmm…………..”By their fruits you will know them”.Read the full story here.
- “Strike Three” – GE Decides to Dump Offshore Wind-Power Plans Despite Collecting Millions in Stimulus Funds for Wind Projects.(GatewayPundit).GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt, the head of Barack Obama’s Economic Advisory Panel, was invited to sit with the First Lady during the president’s speech to Congress this past week. He’s been a strong supporter of the president since he took over the White House and his companies have received plenty of government funds as well.GE was awarded 44 contracts totaling over $46,000,000 and 44 grants totaling more than $79,000,000 from the Obama-Pelosi $757 billion dollar stimulus package. Millions of dollars in stimulus funds were used by GE in green energy projects.Today GE announced that it was going to gut its offshore wind-power plans.Forbes reported:
General Electric, the U.S.-based industrial giant and leading manufacturer of wind-power turbines, is scaling back efforts to expand its presence in the offshore wind power market.
The rationale: there is no meaningful offshore wind market to speak of – at least not yet.Given slower-than-expected industry growth, the offshore market may not mature as rapidly as many wind boosters once believed.In 2009, GE moved into the offshore market by acquiring Norway’s ScanWind, a developer of direct-drive turbines, based in the city of Trondheim.GE is considering laying off about 40 employees in Norway as it scales-back its offshore operations there, according to reports in Recharge. The company has also suspended plans to construct a manufacturing facility in the United Kingdom indefinitely.Immelt also said the stimulus would work way back in April 2009.Hmmmm…..Now what if all these ‘Alternative energy projects’ fundings were a cover to make Taxpayer money flow back to the re-election fund for Obama?Read the full story here.
- Solyndra employee: “Everyone knew the plant wouldn’t work”(TheRightscoop).This is a must listen. While we were focused on the debate last Wednesday night, Mark Levin got a call from someone who worked at the Solyndra plant, who gave some revealing details about this Solyndra scandal.This is one of the more interesting things the caller said:
While we were out there, while we were building it – cause it is a half a billion dollar plant – everyone already knew that China had developed a more inexpensive way to manufacture these solar panels. Everyone knew that the plant wouldn’t work. But they still did it. They still built it. She then emphasized that she isn’t even that high on the totem pole and she knew this stuff. So there’s no doubt in her mind that Obama and the White House knew that it wasn’t feasible.Levin replayed the call tonight. Hereis the full call.
- Erdoğan to hold talks with Obama in NY.(HurriyetDaily).Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and U.S. President Barack Obama will meet in New York next week, with Iraq expected to be high on their agenda, a senior Turkish official said Wednesday.The meeting, which will occur on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly, was requested by Washington and is likely to be a “lengthy” one, Deputy Prime Minister Beşir Atalay said on CNNTürk. He added that Turkey’s efforts to curb Kurdish militants based in northern Iraq and possible complications in Iraq in the wake of the U.S. military’s looming pullout would be discussed in detail. Atalay said there was “nothing more natural” than for Turkey to assume a more active role in neighboring Iraq after the withdrawal of U.S. troops.“We may have some demands from the United States as they are pulling out, and they may have assessments concerning Turkey,” the minister said, adding that Ankara had no plans “at the moment” to set up a buffer zone inside northern Iraq to thwart the infiltration of members of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party, or PKK.Erdoğan and Obama are also likely to discuss the simmering crisis between Turkey and Israel, the unrest in the Arab world and a Palestinian plan to seek statehood recognition at the U.N. General Assembly.Hmmmm……Since when is Turkey dictating US foreign policy?Once again it seems that Israel has nothing to fear but Obama and Erdogan?Read the full story here.
There is no such thing as democracy. Democracy is founded on principles of heresy. The ten principles of democracy constitute utter heresy: the freedom of religion, the freedom of belief – we have a punishment for apostasy – the rule of the people by the people and not by Allah, the capital belongs to the people.
In Egypt, there are 80 million citizens, only five million of whom are Crusaders – if you feel like it, you can say that there are seven million. Fine, I don’t care. They are a minority. A minority in a Muslim country has a certain status. Don’t say everyone is equal. Don’t tell me that every citizen enjoys equal and complete rights. Says who?! How can you possibly draw a parallel between the majority and a minority?
Let’s say, just for the sake of argument, that there are 7 million of them – and by God, there are less… There are 70 million of us! So how can you talk to me about equal rights? Whenever I build a mosque, he deserves to build a church?! Says who? I’ve never seen a Christian pray outside his church because it’s too crowded. Look how we Muslims have to pray in the streets. I swear by God that the Christians get more rights than us.Source.
Muhammad Abbas: If the Egyptian army were capable of wiping Israel out, I wish it would. I demand that the army do the most that it can, but these are not the appropriate circumstances. We do not yet have the necessary array of systems, politicians, and intellectuals, who represent the nation and fear for it. Today, everybody is trying to get the army into trouble. I am afraid that the army will get into trouble. Oh army, do what you can. If you are capable of killing 70 of them in retaliation for each of our martyrs – do so. I demand that the army do its best, but it should not go too far, so that they do not destroy us. Remember the defeat of 1967.
I wish we had the ability to take revenge. If we do, we should destroy them completely, and not leave a single one of them alive. Anyone who immigrated to Israel without the legal authorization of the Muslims must return to his country or be annihilated. “And the stone shall say: There is a Jew behind me”… But I fear that our enthusiasm might be detrimental to us. I have been against Israel all the way, and I am certain that it will come to an end. Indeed, it will. If you tell me that 10 million Egyptians will be martyred in return for the destruction of Israel – I am all for it. but having 10 million Egyptians martyrs, and then having Israel occupy Sinai and Cairo – absolutely not. We must plan properly.Source.