Search Box

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Russian Authorities name Kyrgyz national Akbarjon Djalolov as suspected St Petersburg terrorist.


Russian Authorities name Kyrgyz national as suspected St Petersburg terrorist.(Newsweek)(HLN).
 According to spokesman Rakat Saoelajmanov the man in question is Kyrgyz Akbarjon Djalolov, born in 1995. He may have acquired Russian citizenship.

At around 2.30 p.m. local time, there was an explosion on a train between two subway stations. The death toll was raised from 11 to 14 on Tuesday morning after three people died in hospital, while 49 others were injured, according to the BBC. Russian authorities have described the explosion as a “terrorist act.”

Kyrgyzstan’s security service has identified the bomber as Akbarzhon Jalilov, 22 and said he was born in Osh, the country’s second-largest city, in 1995, the BBC reported. Jalilov had lived in Russia for six years, The Guardian reported, citing news agencies.

Kyrgyzstan’s National Security Committee maintains contacts with the Russian special services investigating the terrorist attack in the St. Petersburg subway, the committee’s spokesman, Rakhat Sulaimanov, told TASS on Tuesday.

"It has been established that an individual suspected of carrying out a terror attack is a native of our republic," he said. According to Sulaimanov, it is also known that he was granted Russian citizenship some time ago.

According to the press service, the committee confirms that Akbarzhon Jalilov born in 1995 is indeed a native of Kyrgyzstan.

"However, we do not know whether this person is involved in the terror attack or not," the press service noted. It added that the committee had received information concerning Jalilov’s alleged involvement "from the Russian side." More

Update:
“Investigative Committee experts, working alongside FSB and the Interior Ministry rapid response teams, have established that the explosive device could have been set off by a male suspect whose fragmented remains have been found inside the third car,” Svetlana Petrenko, the committee’s spokeswoman, told Interfax.

She stressed that, while his identity is known, details will not be disclosed at this time “given the ongoing investigation.”

The official noted that the authorities are “carrying on with interrogations and inspecting CCTV cameras.”

“A blast assessment study, as well as a genetic examination, will follow,” she said.

The statement comes as the death toll continues to rise. Earlier on Tuesday, Russian Health Minister Veronika Skvortsova said three more blast victims had succumbed to their injuries, increasing the number of fatalities from eleven to fourteen.More.

There are conflicting reports as to whether the attack was a suicide bombing or whether the suspect managed to flee the incident. It is also unclear whether the bomber was acting alone or as part of a wider network. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

The Russian Investigative Committee said it has established the identity of a suicide bomber who apparently detonated an explosive device in the Saint Petersburg Metro on Monday after examining the attacker’s remains from the blast site. “Investigative Committee experts, working alongside FSB and the Interior Ministry rapid response teams, have established that the explosive device could have been set off by a male suspect whose fragmented remains have been found inside the third car,” Svetlana Petrenko, the committee’s spokeswoman, told Interfax.

St. Petersburg’s authorities have declared three days of mourning. The city is the birthplace of Russian President Vladimir Putin, who was in St. Petersburg at the time of the blast. Putin visited the scene of the incident on Monday evening to lay flowers at an impromptu shrine set up for the victims.Read the full story here. More here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...