Iran hurriedly retracted its claim that the S-300 missile defense system had arrived in the country. (TOI).
Iran hurriedly retracted its claim Monday that the S-300 missile defense system had arrived in the country, saying instead only that an agreement for delivery had been reached, according to local media.
On Monday, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Jaberi Ansari told local media explicitly that delivery of the system had already begun.
“Today I should announce that the first part of these equipment has arrived in Iran, and delivery of other parts will continue,” Ansari said at a press conference, according to a Mehr news agency report.
But just a few hours later, the agency’s story changed Ansari’s phrasing to: “Today I should announce that the first phase of the agreement is implemented, and the process will continue.”
Ansari also told the British Guardian newspaper the equipment had not actually been delivered, but rather that the “initial agreement for delivery” had been reached between the two countries.
The Iranian Tasnim news agency, which broke the story, similarly retracted its initial article and tweet about the S-300 delivery.Iran's FM spokesman clarifies earlier statement on S300 missile delivery, says initial agreement for delivery is struck, not delivered yet.— Saeed Kamali Dehghan (@SaeedKD) April 11, 2016
Instead, Tasnim quoted a Russian official who anticipated the delivery of the anti-aircraft battery would take place later in 2016. Read the full story here.