"UK police thwart ISIS plot on Armed Forces Day parade." (Guardian).
The Sun reports it tipped off authorities about planned London bomb attack after Isis leader recruited undercover investigator from newspaper.
Police have encouraged the public to attend events as normal after it was reported that an Armed Forces Day parade had been targeted by Islamic State (Isis).
An intended suicide bombing of a parade in south London on Saturday would have targeted soldiers from the same unit as murdered soldier Lee Rigby, according to The Sun.
The plot to explode a pressure-cooker bomb – to kill soldiers and bystanders on the route – was revealed after one of its leaders in Syria unwittingly recruited an undercover investigator from the newspaper to carry it out, the report said.It is alleged that a figure in Isis, whom it named as Junaid Hussain from Birmingham, told the investigator: “It will be big. We will hit the kuffar (unbelievers) hard InshAllah. Hit their soldiers in their own land. InshAllah. Soldiers that served in Iraq and Afganistan will be present. Jump in the crowd and detonate the bomb.
“They think they can kill Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan then come back to the UK and be safe. We’ll hit them hard InshAllah.”
The newspaper said the plot to bomb the parade in Merton, south-west London, was thwarted when it informed police and security services. Read the full story here.