Monday, February 20, 2012
- Updated !Earthquakes in the last 24 hours in the world seismic activity situation Indonesia 5.4 - 5.2 ; Fiji 5.1!More info here.
- Islam’s Establishment of Government Religion Not Protected by First Amendment.(BP).By Jack L. Treese, CWO US Army, Retired.The federal appeals court in Denver recently threw out an amendment passed by 70 percent of the voters of Oklahoma that would have prevented Oklahoma courts from recognizing international or Islamic law. Further, the court upheld the right of the executive director of the Oklahoma Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), Muneer Awad, to challenge the laws constitutionally.The First Amendment states: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…I contend that Islam is not a true religion and should not be classified as such. The basic element of most religions is worship; it is not controlling people’s lives through making and enforcing laws. It is not running countries through mullahs with puppet dictators like Ahmadinejad. It is not trying to impose its laws, customs and way of life through the court system of sovereign nations.The “Islamic Law” known as Sharia controls every aspect of a Muslims life. These laws have been promulgated over the centuries using the Quran and Hadiths.Britannica.com describes the Hadith as a: …record of the traditions or saying of the Prophet Muhammad, revered and received as a major source of religious law…second only to the authority of the Quran…the biography of Muhammad. Provisions of law are the primary element, enlarging Quranic legislation. According to Wikipedia:Hadiths are regarded by traditional Islamic schools of jurisprudence as important tools for understand the Quran and in matters of jurisprudence.According to Dictionary.com jurisprudence is defined as:
- The science or philosophy of law.
- A body or system of laws.
- A department of law: medical jurisprudence.
- Civil Law, decisions of courts, especially of reviewing tribunals.
Traditional Islamic schools of jurisprudence use the Hadith and the Quran in matters of jurisprudence and the four definitions of jurisprudence listed above all contain the word “law”.Webster’s defines “law” as:…any written or positive rule or collection of rules prescribed under the authority of the state…” Therefore, it is my opinion that Sharia laws should be considered statutes which of themselves are enactments made by governments.According to Webster’s a theocracy is:…a form of government in which God or a deity is recognized as the supreme civil ruler, the God or deity’s laws being interpreted by the ecclesiastical authorities. The website Islam 101 also provides a precedent for classifying Islam as a “government”; under the title “Essential Features of the Islamic Political System” are the following subheadings:
- Democracy in Islam.
- Purpose of the Islamic State.
- Executive and Legislature.
Doesn’t our own constitution define democracy, the state, and the executive and legislative branches?While Islam may be a religion I believe I have presented compelling justification to classify it as a “government” controlled and dictated by a religion. Therefore it should not be protected by the first amendment! Our judges need to wake up; “if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, it must be a duck.”Read the full story here.
- Iran - MP: Deployment of Iranian, Russian Flotillas in Syrian Coasts Clear Warning to US.(Fars). Tehran - A senior Iranian lawmaker stressed on Sunday that the deployment of Iranian and Russian flotillas along the Syrian coasts is a serious warning against Washington's adventurist plots against Damascus."The presence of Iran and Russia's flotillas along the Syrian coasts has a clear message against the United States' possible adventurism," Vice-Chairman of the parliament's National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Hossein Ebrahimi told FNA. "In case of any US strategic mistake in Syria, there is a possibility that Iran, Russia and a number of other countries will give a crushing response to the US," he added. The US and other western countries have intensified their interfering policies while the Syrian government has declared February 26 as the date for a referendum on the country's new draft constitution that would lay the ground for a multi-party political system. Syrian President Bashar al-Assad made the decision after he received the draft from a committee set up in October to draw up the new constitution. In January, Assad said that the new constitution will replace the current one which endorses his Baath party's dominant role.Read the full story here.
- EGYPT, YOU ARE FINISHED!Baha'is threaten Egypt's national security.(AM).A spokesperson for the Salafi movement in Alexandria has said that the religious minority of Baha’is poses a threat to Egypt's national security.Abdel Moneim al-Shahat, a prominent Salafi leader and former parliamentary candidate, said that the state should move to protect itself from those who claim that the Baha'i faith is a religion. Shahat has previously claimed that watching and playing football is prohibited under Islam, in the wake of violence following a Port Said football match."We will prosecute the Bahai's on charge of treason," Shahat said, in a telephone call with al-Haqiqa (The Truth) TV program host Wael al-Ibrashy on Dream 2 channel. "We as Salafis refuse to deal with Baha'is, because they do not exist by virtue of their faith.”According to Shahat, Bahai’s are not entitled to rights under Islam because they do not belong and are not recognized by the religion, and any new constitution should not include an amendment protecting their rights. He cited an Al-Azhar ruling that said Baha’is are not Muslims.Baha'is, who number between 500 and 2,000 in Egypt, call their faith's 19th-century founder, Bahaa, a prophet -- sacrilege to Muslims who believe Mohamed to be God's final messenger.Rights activists say Baha'is face systematic discrimination in the conservative Arab country, which does not officially recognize the faith. In 2008, Baha'is won the right to obtain government identity papers so long as they omit any reference to their faith.Read the full story here.
- Tunisia protests Egypt sheikh who supports FGM.(BM).CAIRO: Hundreds of Tunisians protested the visit of Islamic cleric Wagdy Ghonem near the capital Tunis after Ghonem’s statements stirred anger among in the country. Ghonem, who was visiting the country, said statements in favor of female genital mutilation (FGM), which angered Tunisians strongly and drove them to the street to protest.The crowd held signs reading “Ghonem must leave,” “purify your mind and heart Ghonem” and “we don’t accept hate language.”Ghonem, who began his visit over the weekend, successfully brought together different groups to protest his visit, including young men and women who were offended by his support of the controversial practice of cutting a young girl’s genitalia.He was called an “extremist” and an “intruder.”Ghonem, who sadly has been referred to as the “Egyptian Sheikh Ghonem” called for Islamic law to be applied in Tunisia and called for the circumcision of girls.He also attacked liberals and secularists in harsh tones.Tunisian women, who were previously the most liberated and had the most rights of all women in the MENA region, are fearing losses of those rights with the growing of political Islam in the country.FGM is banned in Tunis and in neighboring countries like Egypt, yet conservatives who believe the habit promotes “virtue” do it anyway, often in unprepared clinics, causing many young girls to bleed to death or get serious infections.Al-Azhar, the Sunni’s world most respected institution, condemned the practice years ago and said it was “un-Islamic” and encouraged families to not have the procedure done on their daughters.Read the full story here.
After going after Booze, Bikinis and Pyramides, Egypt Islamist MPs now want to ban porn sites.(BM).Cairo: Egypt’s ultra-conservative al-Nour religious party said on its Facebook page on Monday that the party’s MP Younis Makhioun has put forward a request for an “urgent briefing” to ban pornography websites from the Internet in Egypt.The request is expected to be discussed shortly in Egypt’s lower house.The news saw praise and condemnation alike from Egyptians as many commentators showed support and urged for the ban to be passed, while others objected on the loss of personal freedoms.Others feared that it would not stop at pornography sites, but would go on to crackdown on other websites conservatives believe go against their creed.
Statistics and reports conducted regarding the use of the Internet to view pornography material suggest that every second 28,258 people around the world are watching pornography online.
Almost $3,075.64 is spent on these websites at that time.
Shockingly, a new adult film is being produced every 39 minutes in the United States alone.
In 2011, Egypt landed in the number five spot globally in searching for “sex” online, joined by Algeria and Morocco also in the top 10, according to Google trends. Number One was Sri Lanka, Followed by Nr. 2.Pakistan, Nr.3. India and Nr.4. Vietnam.
Arabic language is used second only to English as the language of search choice for adult content online.Read the full story here.
PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas says his unity government with Hamas will respect agreements signed with Israel.
PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas says his unity government with Hamas will respect agreements signed with Israel.(INN).By Elad Benari.Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas said on Saturday that the unity government he will enter with the Hamas terror organization will respect agreements signed by the PLO, AFP reported.
The report cited the PA-based WAFA news agency which quoted Abbas as having said, “The next government will remain committed to the obligations and agreements signed by the Palestine Liberation Organization.” He was referring to the 1993 Oslo Accords signed between Israel and the PLO.
Abbas recently signed an agreement in Qatar with Hamas’ politburo chief Khaled Mashaal. The agreement calls for Abbas to head an interim government, which will be made up of "independent technocrats."
Abbas’ comments drew an angry reaction from Hamas, whose spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri was quoted as having said they “violate” the agreements between Abbas and Mashaal.
The agreement was recently slammed by Senior Hamas official Mahmoud al-Zahar, who said it was a “mistake” and criticized Mashaal for not having consulted anyone inside Hamas about it. Al-Zahar's comments seem to confirm recent analyses that the unity agreement with Fatah is causing a split within Hamas.Meanwhile, with or without an agreement with Hamas, the PA’s prime minister Salam Fayyad admitted this week his administration is actively defying Israel and operating in eastern Jerusalem."The PA is continuously trying to allocate resources inside the city, which Israel occupied in 1967," Fayyad said in his weekly radio address from Ramallah."The Israeli government is trying to impose its policies to control Jerusalem and its institutions, which is contrary to international law and signed agreements," Fayyad said."Israel must realize that there won’t be any chance of a long lasting peace without East Jerusalem as the capital of an independent Palestinian state," Fayyad said.
Under the 1993 Oslo Accords, to which Fayyad's government is beholden, Israel retains both full administrative and security control of Jerusalem.Read the full story here.
Strait partners: Iran and Oman to carry out joint naval exercises.(RT).An Iranian Navy commander says his country is set to conduct naval exercises with nearby ally Oman in March. Iran looks to be on its way to major naval power status, fighting piracy and cooperating with other countries in the region.
Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said the exercises will involve joint rescue and relief operations. He expressed his country’s readiness to cooperate militarily with other countries in the region in an effort to ensure the peace and stability of the Middle East.
Iran and Oman occupy opposite shores of the Strait of Hormuz. They have already conducted two drills together, in 2009 and 2011. Last year’s included four vessels, two fighter jets and one maritime helicopter under Omani command, with four Iranian naval ships.
With Iran’s decision to cut off oil supplies to France and the United Kingdom in response to the EU’s decision to ban Iranian oil imports, the country is on the lookout for new customers for its energy sector. Iran’s First Vice President Mohammez Reza Rahimi recently visited Oman to discuss the gas trade, and back in 2009 the countries agreed to jointly develop a 200-kilometer underwater gas pipeline. In September 2011, the National Iranian Gas Export Company said Iran had reached an agreement to export gas to Oman and India.
Over the past few years, Iran’s presence in international waters has been on the rise, with vessels visiting locations as far off as the Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea.Hmmmm.......I'm still Waiting to see Turkey to join in.Read the full story here.
Russia Would Use Nukes to Stave Off Threats – General Staff.(RN).Russia would use nuclear weapons in response to any imminent threat to its national security, Chief of the Russian General Staff
Gen. Nikolai Makarov said on Wednesday.“We are certainly not planning to fight against the whole of NATO,” Makarov said in an interview with the Ekho Moskvy radio, “but if there is a threat to the integrity of the Russian Federation, we have the right to use nuclear weapons, and we will.”The general said Russia’s nuclear deterrent is the cornerstone of strategic stability and serious efforts are being taken by the Russian government to modernize the country’s nuclear triad.The Russian Defense ministry is planning to acquire at least 10 Borey class strategic nuclear submarines, thoroughly modernize its fleet of Tu-160 Blackjack and Tu-95 Bear strategic bombers, and equip its Strategic Missile Forces with formidable Yars mobile ballistic missile systems.Makarov also stressed the importance of maintaining highly-efficient, mobile conventional forces.“Unfortunately, we are facing threats from a number of unstable states, where no nuclear weapons but well-trained, strong and mobile Armed Forces are required to resolve any conflict situation,” Makarov said.
Read the full story here.
Egyptian Presidential Candidate Tawfiq Okasha Predicts that Egyptian Army Will Open Fire on "Its Enemies" – the US, Germany, and Israel – Within Three Months.
Tawfiq Okasha: Hitler's principle was that the best race must become master of the world, and must spread worldwide. Hitler established German Nazism on this, in order to rule and own the world. On the other hand, we find that this is precisely the same philosophy as that of the Israelites and the Jews, who say: We are the Semitic people, we are the best people in the world, and we must rule and own the world, because the Semites are the kinds of the Earth and all that is upon it.
Hitler knew that the Jews upheld the same ideology. They shared the same ideology. Hitler believed that the Germans were the masters of the world, whereas the Jews believe that they are the masters of the world. Thus, a battle ensued – either the Jews would destroy Hitler, so that they would be able to continue pursuing their goal of ruling the world, or else Hitler would annihilate the Jews, and realize his own goal of ruling the world. This led the Jews to play a very important role in World War II, which brought about Hitler's defeat.
What all the intellectuals and all the people believe is that the reason for Hitler's defeat in World War II was that he moved his forces into Russia at a time of heavy snow. The temperature in Russia reached minus 7, 10, or 12 degrees Celsius, and the German soldiers and officers were not used to this climate. On the other hand, Hitler sent his forces to North Africa in June, July, and August, when the weather was very hot, and there too, his soldiers were unable to cope with the weather. People believe that these two fronts were the main reason for Hitler's defeat. That is what historians have written. But no. That is a mistake.
The truth is that a secret battle was conducted between Hitler and the Jews, and Hitler launched this battle with the Holocaust. All the Jews and all the historians say that Hitler burned the Jews in the Holocaust. Nope. Hitler gathered all the Jews that he could, and all the depraved people that he could… In other words, people who were unable to work – people with polio, people with special needs, and the elderly… He rounded them up and burned them. He said that they were non-productive and were a burden on the German economy, and therefore, let them enter the Holocaust.
The Jewish Holocaust was not only for the Jews, but for everybody who was "depraved," in Hitler's view. These included Muslims and Christians – everybody.
Hitler was defeated in World War II because the Jews conducted a clandestine battle against him, by planting one… Two of Hitler's advisors were working for the Jews. They were the ones who advised Hitler to mobilize his forces to Russia and to North Africa. Hence, the Jews managed to get close to Hitler, by means of his closest advisors.
See how long the Jews have been conspiring against the world? Since the end of World War II. They struck the Soviet Union, and it collapsed. They entered Eastern Europe through NGO's, under the pretext of promoting democracy, and so on. They divided all the countries. Yugoslavia was divided. In the Balkan countries, wars were waged and massacres carried out, and they conducted revolutions on rivers of blood, while claiming that this was non-violent, peaceful change. Get it? They conducted close to twenty bloody revolutions in order to achieve this goal. Why did Germany join all these NGO's? Because each party has its own interests. Germany is getting ready to rule the world once again.
I say this to the Jews: Brothers, do not lie to yourselves. You have played around with German demography as best you could, and you have managed to get the Germans to abhor marriage. This was in order to prevent births. But what is happening now in Germany? For the past five years exactly, marriages have sky-rocketed, and so has the birth rate in Germany today. America, Israel, and the European Union are planning to destroy three institutions in Egypt with exceptional malice: the Egyptian general intelligence agency, the Egyptian armed forces, and the Egyptian military intelligence.
As of today, the war effort of the people has begun. This is essential. A war effort! People, we are waging battle against the greatest country in the world, and against the second greatest country in the world. America is the greatest country in the world, and Germany is the second greatest country economically. We are fighting two superpowers. There are eight great industrialized countries in the world, and we are fighting two of them. We are currently at war with two of them – an official, declared war. The movement of the armed forces today means a real war, but worse is still to come.
Either the country is wide open, with holes like sieve, or else they call us enemies of democracy. What's that supposed to mean? That's what is written in The Protocols of the Elders of Zion.
This is a fierce and bitter battle, which began without any shooting, but will end with shooting. I say this here and now. The Egyptian army will open fire on the armies of the enemies. While you are talking to me right now, the battle with tanks, cannons, and airplanes is near.
Interviewers: I said at the beginning of the show that the war that Egypt is undergoing is not a war of shooting, of missiles, and so on. When will Egypt wage such a war?
Tawfiq Okasha: Within three months. Armed war will begin within three months.Hmmmmm........Perhaps waiting for the new 130 Abrams M1 first-line battle tanks Obama promised?
British FM joins
His comments in a BBC interview came as US National Security Adviser Tom Donilon met with Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem for talks focused on Iran.
Neither the Prime Minister’s Office nor the US put out a statement after that two-hour meeting, and Netanyahu said nothing about it – or the Iranian nuclear program – at a speech immediately after the meeting at the opening of the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations in Jerusalem.
Donilon also met with Maj.- Gen. (res.) Yaakov Amidror, his Israeli counterpart. He is scheduled to meet Defense Minister Ehud Barak on Monday before returning to Washington.
Donilon’s visit is taking place just two weeks before Netanyahu is scheduled to travel to Washington for AIPAC’s annual policy conference, and for an expected meeting with US President Barack Obama, where Iran is likely to dominate the discussion.
Hague, meanwhile, said he did not think “the wise thing at the moment” would be for Israel to launch a military attack on Iran.“I think Israel, like everyone else in the world, should be giving a real chance to the approach we adopted: very serious economic sanctions and diplomatic pressure, and the readiness to negotiate with Iran,” he said.Hague said that there were two possibilities if Iran went ahead with its nuclear program.
“Either, they [Iran] will be attacked, and there will be a war, or there would be a cold war, in which Iran for the long term would be subject to very intensive economic sanctions. They would find that other nations in their region developed nuclear regions, and they would be in permanent standoff with those countries.”This would be “like the Cold War, but without many of the safeguards against accidents and misunderstandings that we had in the Cold War,” he said.Hmmmm..........There would be no cold war once Iran obtains a nuclear weapon, unlike during the 'cold war', Iran does not follow the MAD doctrine.Why is it that the Foreign Secretary skipped Shia eschatology, the Mahdi, the Hidden Twelfth Imam and the realistic possibility that there cannot be a Cold War with
"Sanctions that Benefit" Turkey welcomes large number of Iranian firms.(HD).The number of Iranian firms established in Turkey registered a record increase last year, according to Anatolia news agency.Some 590 Iranian firms were established while the number of Iranian joint ventures hit a total of 2,140.
Iran was also the number-one country in terms of the increase in the number of firms in Turkey, hitting 41 percent in 2011.The sectors the international firms showed an interest in mainly spanned wholesale and retail trade, real estate leasing, transportation, communications and storage.
Some 347 of those firms had an authorized capital exceeding $500,000.Some 1,547 of these firms came from the European Union, while 412 of them were from other European countries. Another 1,245 of them came from the Middle East.Hmmmm........Obama said the United States is confident the world is "unified around Iran's ... This means crippling sanctions and these sanctions must be applied right now,"Read the full story here.
Euro judge warns Turkey on long jail terms.The number of pending cases at the European Court of Human Rights has reached 16,000.
Euro judge warns Turkey on long jail terms.The number of pending cases at the European Court of Human Rights has reached 16,000.(HD).The first female Turkish justice at the European Court of Human Rights has urged Turkey to maintain a balance between freedom of expression and anti-terrorism measures while also warning Ankara about the number of cases pending before the court. “The number of pending cases at the European Court of Human Rights has reached 16,000, and 245 of them pertain to the freedom of expression. All states take measures while fighting against terrorism, but the freedom of expression ought to be protected,” Justice Işıl Karakaş said, according to daily Cumhuriyet. Karakaş laid out her warnings in a briefing to 17 government institutions.Karakaş said 24 percent of all pending cases regarding Turkey at the European court are about the prolonged duration of legal proceedings, while 16 percent pertain to the violation of property rights and expropriation. “Respect for human rights... and the principle of [upholding] a state of law are crucial to the sensitive balance between security and freedom,” said Karataş, who arrived in Ankara upon the invitation of the Undersecretariat of Public Order and Security.
Karakaş also said certain articles of Turkey’s Anti-Terror Law harbor great perils to the freedom of expression and called for article 301 of the Turkish Penal Code to be scrapped entirely.
According to data released Jan. 26, a total of 159 cases filed against Turkey resulted in judgments that included at least one violation of human rights. Russia followed Turkey as the second most-convicted violator, with 121 judgments including at least one violation, while Ukraine came in third with 105 convictions.Most of the remaining verdicts pronounced against Turkey by the European court found it guilty of charges pertaining to “inhuman or degrading treatment,” “lack of effective investigation,” “right to liberty and security,” “right to a fair trial,” “non-execution” and “protection of property.”Hmmmmm.......Obama's best 'buddy' "A man is known by the company he keeps".Read the full story here.
How would $ 6 a Gallon sound Mr.President?Saudi Arabia cuts oil output, export.(CNBC).(BusinessWeek).The world’s top oil exporter, Saudi Arabia, appears to have cut both its oil production and export in December, according to the latest update by the Joint Organizations Data Initiative (JODI), an official source of oil production, consumption and export data.
The OPEC heavyweight saw production decline by 237,000 barrels per day (bpd) from three-decade highs of 10.047 million bpd in November, the JODI data showed on Sunday.
Saudi Arabia’s crude-oil consumption fell by 5.9 percent in December from the previous month, according to JODI. The world’s largest exporter of crude used an average of 1.73 million barrels a day of oil in December, compared with 1.84 million barrels in November. The kingdom’s oil consumption has grown at an average of 4.8 percent a year in the past five years, Riyadh- based Jadwa Investment Co., said in December.
The IEA said in its January monthly report that Saudi output was pegged at 9.85 million barrels a day. The IEA estimated January’s output for Saudi Arabia to be the same as December’s.
The Paris-based agency estimated Saudi Arabia’s spare capacity for December at 2.15 million barrels a day, which makes about 75 percent of OPEC’s effective spare capacity during the month.
For the third month in a row, no details were available for the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Libya, the immediate reasons for which are unclear. Hmmmm.......Is Saudi Arabia buiding up oil reserves for when needed?Read the full story here, more here.
Former Afghan FM: US Seeking to Legitimize Taliban through Negotiations.(Fars).Tehran - )- A prominent Afghan opposition figure said that the US is seeking to legitimize the Taliban through holding negotiations with the belligerent group, but meantime underlined that the US has failed to attain its goal."… No doubt the Taliban is eager to negotiate with the US since the group sees the talks a positive step towards its legitimacy," former Afghan Foreign Minister Abdullah Abdullah told FNA.
He said that some foreign countries have taken advantage and get involved in Afghan peace talks after the Afghan government failed to encourage the Taliban to hold talks with the central government within the geographical borders of Afghanistan. In January, first Vice-Speaker of the Afghan Senate Mohammad Alam Izadyar criticized the secret talks between the US and the Taliban, and stated that the so-called Afghan Peace Talks lack "transparency". "Details of the Afghan peace talks should not be hidden from the people of the country," Izadyar told Afghanistan TV at the time.
Taliban announced at the time that they had struck a deal to open a political office in Qatar that could allow for direct negotiations. In a statement, Zabiullah Mujahid, a spokesman for the Taliban, said that along with a preliminary deal to set up the office in Qatar, the group was asking that Taliban detainees held at the American prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, be released. Some analysts are skeptical of the prospects for meaningful peace negotiations with the Taliban.
The developments came as Pakistani media revealed last week that the United States' Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has removed the name of Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Mohammad Omar from the list of "most wanted terrorists."
The report came following Washington's secret meetings with the Taliban after one decade of war. US officials have held several meetings with representatives of the Afghan Taliban leader, headed by Tayyib Agha, in Germany and Qatar over the past months.
During the meetings, the US and Taliban negotiators reached a deal to transfer five Taliban militants, who are under custody in Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, to Qatar. The removal of Mullah Omar's name from the terror list comes after the prisoner deal.Washington removed Mullah Omar's name despite its continued allegations that the Taliban and Osama Bin Laden were behind the September, 11 attacks in the US. Mullah Omar was Bin Laden's staunchest ally and most intimate friend.Hmmmm........Details of the Afghan peace talks should not be hidden from the people of the country.Neighter Should they be hidden from the American People!Read the full story here.
Warning ! Video contains extreme and Graphic violence 18 +
Multiculturalism = the belief that cultures that stone women to death, promote suicide bombing, encourage hatred of other religions including Muslim ones, and foster ignorance and superstition are equal to Euro-American ones that promote scientific inquiry and individual freedom.HT: IsraPundit.
The Obama administration has made a strategic decision to join forces with the Islamists rather than fight them, at the peril of Israel.
The Obama administration has made a strategic decision to join forces with the Islamists rather than fight them, at the peril of Israel.(TIP).By Essam Abdallah.
"What this means is that the Obama administration has made a strategic decision to join forces with the Islamists rather than fight them. This policy has serious implications for America at home and abroad. It also has serious implications for Israel. It means that America will restrain Israel from besting the Islamists and will favour the Islamists over Israel. It is no accident that the Islamists are now in power in Libya, Tunisia and Egypt or that the The US has fully embraced Islamist Erdogan of Turkey and is supporting the advent of the MB in Syria. Nothing could be more ominous." Ted Belman.
A note from Investigative Project on Terrorism Executive Director Steven Emerson:
Please take the time to read this very important story written by a courageous Egyptian liberal intellectual about the Islamist and Muslim Brotherhood lobbies in Washington and the Obama Administration's secret collaboration with these pro-terrorist, anti-Western, anti-women, anti-American and anti-Semitic organizations. This is one of the most important articles I have read in years.
It was just revealed two days ago that FBI Director Mueller secretly met on February 8 at FBI headquarters with a coalition of groups including various Islamist and militant Arabic groups who in the past have defended Hamas and Hizballah and have also issued blatantly anti-Semitic statements. At this meeting, the FBI revealed that it had removed more than 1000 presentations and curricula on Islam from FBI offices around the country that was deemed "offensive." The FBI did not reveal what criteria was used to determine why material was considered "offensive" but knowledgeable law enforcement sources have told the IPT that it was these radical groups who made that determination. Moreover, numerous FBI agents have confirmed that from now on, FBI headquarters has banned all FBI offices from inviting any counter-terrorist specialists who are considered "anti-Islam" by Muslim Brotherhood front groups.
The February 8 FBI meeting was the culmination of a series of unpublicized directives issued in the last three months by top FBI officials to all its field offices to immediately recall and withdraw any presentation or curricula on Islam throughout the entire FBI. In fact, according to informed sources and undisclosed documents, the FBI directive was instigated by radical Muslim groups in the US who had repeatedly met with top officials of the Obama Administration to complain, among other things, that the mere usage of the term of "radical Islam" in FBI curricula was "offensive" and 'racist."
And thus, directives went out by Attorney General Eric Holder and FBI Director Mueller to censor all such material. Included in the material destroyed or removed by the FBI and the DOJ were powerpoints and articles that defined jihad as "holy war" or presentations that portrayed the Muslim Brotherhood as an organization bent on taking over the world—a major tenant that the Muslim Brotherhood has publicly stated for decades.
During the next several months, the IPT will be releasing a series of major investigative reports revealing the secret infiltration by and collaboration with radical Islamic organizations by the Obama administration that has spread to the National Security Council, the Dept of Justice, the FBI, the Dept of Homeland Security, the CIA and the State Department as well as local law enforcement.
The most dramatic oppression of the region's civil societies and the Arab Spring is not by means of weapons, or in the Middle East. It is not led by Gaddafi, Mubarak, Bin Ali, Saleh, or Assad. It is led by the powerful Islamist lobbies in Washington DC. People may find my words curious if not provocative. But my arguments are sharp and well understood by many Arab and middle eastern liberals and freedom fighters. Indeed, we in the region, who are struggling for real democracy, not for the one time election type of democracy have been asking ourselves since January 2011 as the winds of Arab spring started blowing, why isn't the West in general and the United States Administration in particular clearly and forcefully supporting our civil societies and particularly the secular democrats of the region? Why were the bureaucracies in Washington and in Brussels partnering with Islamists in the region and not with their natural allies the democracy promoting political forces?
Months into the Arab Spring, we realized that the Western powers, and the Obama Administration have put their support behind the new authoritarians, those who are claiming they will be brought to power via the votes of the people. Well, it is not quite so.
The Muslim Brotherhood, the Islamic Nahda of Tunisia, the Justice Party of Morocco and the Islamist militias in Libya's Transitional National Council have been systematically supported by Washington at the expense of real liberal and secular forces.
We saw day by day how the White House guided carefully the statements and the actions of the US and the State Department followed through to give all the chances to the Islamists and almost no chances to the secular and revolutionary youth. We will come back to detail these diplomatic and financial maneuvers which are giving victory to the fundamentalists while the seculars and progressives are going to be smashed by the forthcoming regimes.
In the US, there are interests that determine foreign policy. And there are lobbies that put pressure to get their objectives met in foreign policy.
One of the most powerful lobbies in America under the Obama Administration is the Muslim Brotherhood greater lobby, which has been in action for many years. This lobby has secured many operatives inside the Administration and has been successful in directing US policy towards the Arab world.
Among leading advisors sympathetic to the Ikhwan is Daliah Mogahed (Mujahid) and her associate, Georgetown Professor John Esposito. Just as shocking, there is also a pro-Iranian lobby that has been influencing US policy towards Iran and Hezbollah in the region.Dr. Essam Abdallah is an Egyptian liberal intellectual who teaches at Ain Shams University and writes for the leading Arab liberal publication Elaph.Hmmmm......"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances".Read the full story here.More here.
Egypt refuses to let Dempsey take detained Americans with him, Calling Sam Lahood the 'prime suspect.'
Egypt refuses to let Dempsey take detained Americans with him, Calling Sam Lahood the 'prime suspect.'(IsraelMatzav).During a visit earlier this month, US Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Martin Dempsey attempted to obtain the release of 19 Americans being held in Egypt on charges of promoting democracy. Dempsey even attempted to take them with him on his private plane but to no avail. "It appears that General Dempsey urged Egyptian officials he met to release the accused Americans and allow them to leave the country, so they may be tried in absentia," the Al-Ahram report said."The next day, the American request was even more persistent, with Dempsey saying he wanted to accompany the Americans on his private plane," said the report by a senior editor of the government's flagship newspaper.Al-Ahram reported that the officials who met Dempsey told him the case was a judicial matter and only a court could lift the travel ban on the suspects.
After the meetings, Dempsey's spokesperson had said the general brought up the charges against the 19 Americans, workers with NGOs accused of receiving illicit foreign funding, but refused to elaborate on the discussions.The prime suspect in the case is Sam LaHood, the son of US Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. He heads the Egyptian chapter of the International Republican Institute, one of the American NGOs implicated in the case.
Ray LaHood told US broadcaster CBS on Friday that "there are a lot of people in our government, really top officials in our government, working night and day to resolve this issue," according to CBS's website.Hmmmm..........."Prime Suspect" doesn't sound good.Read the full story here.
Allen West commemorates Black History Month by telling the truth about Republicans and Black history
In the speech’s moving peroration, Rep. West closed his remarks by reaffirming the Republican Party’s commitment to conserving the dignity of every human life, regardless of position or color.
"With a core belief in the supremacy and the sovereignty of the individual and the unconditional dignity of every human life, the Republican Party is, always has been, and forever shall be the party of equality of opportunity."
Happy Black History Month.
N. Korea Warns of Retaliation for S. Korea Drill.(DN).SEOUL — North Korea warned Feb. 19 it will bombard islands near the disputed Yellow Sea border with South Korea if an upcoming naval firing drill by Seoul violates its territorial waters.
South Korean troops stationed on the five border islands will stage a regular monthly live-fire exercise in the area Monday, a Marine Corps spokesman told AFP.The North’s Western Sector Command warned residents of the islands to “evacuate to safe areas” before what it said was the scheduled start time of the exercise at 9 a.m. Feb. 20.
In a notice carried by Pyongyang’s official news agency, the North’s military said Seoul “should not forget the lesson” of the bombardment of Yeonpyeong Island in November 2010, which killed four South Koreans.“Once the group of traitors starts a reckless military provocation in those waters... in case just a single column of water is observed in its territorial waters, the KPA (North’s military) will promptly make merciless retaliatory strikes,” it said.
Pyongyang has taken a hostile tone towards Seoul since Kim Jong-Un, the youngest son of the late leader Kim Jong-Il, took over following the death of his father in December.
Yonhap news agency quoted a Joint Chiefs of Staff official as saying: “If North Korea provokes, we will hit back from the standpoint of exercising our right to self-defense.”
The U.S. and South Korean navies are to stage a separate joint anti-submarine drill in the Yellow Sea from Feb. 20 to Feb. 24 to guard against potential attacks by the communist state.
A major annual U.S.-South Korean drill known as Key Resolve will start Feb. 27 and continue until March 9. Separately, a joint air, ground and naval field training exercise known as Foal Eagle will be held from March 1 to April 30.North Korea has denounced the exercises as warmongering.Read the full story here.
First ‘test-tube’ hamburger to be produced this year. (RS).The world’s first “test-tube” meat, a hamburger made from a cow’s stem cells, will be produced this fall, Dutch scientist Mark Post told a major science conference on Sunday.
Post’s aim is to invent an efficient way to produce skeletal muscle tissue in a laboratory that exactly mimics meat, and eventually replace the entire meat-animal industry.
The ingredients for his first burger are “still in a laboratory phase,” he said, but by fall “we have committed ourselves to make a couple of thousand of small tissues, and then assemble them into a hamburger.”
Post, chair of physiology at Maastricht University in the Netherlands, said his project is funded with 250,000 euros from an anonymous private investor motivated by “care for the environment, food for the world, and interest in life-transforming technologies.”
Post spoke at a symposium titled “The Next Agricultural Revolution” at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Vancouver.Speakers said they aim to develop such “meat” products for mass consumption to reduce the environmental and health costs of conventional food production.In 2010 a report by the United Nations Environment Program called for a global vegetarian diet.The global demand for meat is expected to rise by 60 percent by 2050, said American scientist Nicholas Genovese, who organized the symposium.Hmmmm....."to reduce the environmental and health costs of conventional food production"How about human health?Read the full story here.
Army: Tel Aviv to Get Missile Interceptor System.(DN).Jerusalem — The Israeli military will deploy a battery of rocket interceptors from its “Iron Dome” system in the Tel Aviv region on Feb. 20, a military spokesman said Feb. 19.
“Iron Dome is being incorporated into the heart of the Israeli military. As part of this process, the system is deployed in different sites and will be in the Gush Dan region (of Tel Aviv) in the coming days,” he said in a statement that clarified the deployment would begin Feb. 20.This deployment “is part of the annual training plan for this system”, he added.
The decision to site an Iron Dome battery at Tel Aviv comes amid heightened regional tensions and speculation about a possible Israeli attack targeting Iran’s controversial nuclear program.
Israel has denied that a decision has been taken to launch a pre-emptive strike on Iranian nuclear facilities.Designed to intercept rockets and artillery shells fired from a range of between 4 kilometers and 70 kilometers (3 miles and 45 miles), Iron Dome is part of an ambitious multi-layered defense program to protect Israeli towns and cities.
Two other systems make up the program — the Arrow long-range ballistic missile defense system and the so-called David’s Sling, or Magic Wand, system, intended to counter medium-range missiles.Read the full story here.
Sunday, February 19, 2012
- Updated !Earthquakes in the last 24 hours in the world seismic activity situation Japan 5.1!More info here.
- CNN’s Zakaria Papers Over Mass Murder....Iran doesn't commit suicide bombings, Frighteningly his bio promotes Zakaria as “the most influential foreign policy adviser of his generation”.(AIM).Fareed Zakaria of CNN has written a column for The Washington Post that serves as an excuse for letting Iran develop and acquire nuclear weapons. MJ Rosenberg, Senior Foreign Policy Fellow at Media Matters Action Network and contributor to Al-Jazeera, was absolutely ecstatic, saying Zakaria had done “a terrific job destroying some arguments for war with Iran,” and that he had done so by “citing history.” But Zakaria’s “history lesson” gets an “F.”Touting the theory of mutually assured destruction, which prevented the U.S. and the Soviet Union from annihilating one another with nuclear weapons, Zakaria suggested that Iran could be deterred from using nuclear weapons. He quoted Gideon Rose, the editor of Foreign Affairs magazine, as saying that deterrence “is less disastrous than preventive war.” Rose is a former National Security Council official in the Clinton Administration and a prominent official of the Council on Foreign Relations.Zakaria said that “While the Iranian regime is often called crazy, it has done much less to merit the term than did a regime such as Mao’s China. Over the past decade, there have been thousands of suicide bombings by Saudis, Egyptians, Lebanese, Palestinians and Pakistanis, but not been a single suicide attack by an Iranian.”This is deceptive to the point of dishonesty. Why would he go back in history to the time of Mao’s China, but only examine suicide bombings over the last ten years?The answer is that the facts about Iranian suicide bombings do suggest a craziness on the part of the regime. The strange formulation of “over the past decade” enabled him to ignore the fact that, on October 23, 1983, Iran ordered and carried out the suicide bombing of the U.S. Marine barracks in Lebanon, killing 241 American military personnel. An Iranian drove the car bomb into the barracks.Hmmmm......And Iran funds hundreds of foreign terrorists........ever heard of Hamas?Read the full story here.
- Iran stops oil sales to British, French companies: official.(HurriyetDaily).Iran has stopped selling crude to British and French companies, the oil ministry said on Sunday. "Exporting crude to British and French companies has been stopped ... we will sell our oil to new customers," spokesman Alireza Nikzad was quoted as saying by the ministry of petroleum website. The move appeared to be in retaliation for a decision by the European Union in January to stop importing crude from Iran from July 1 over its disputed nuclear programme, which the West says is aimed at building bombs. Iran denies this. Iran's oil minister said on Feb. 4 that the Islamic state would cut its oil exports to "some" European countries. "We have our own customers ... The replacements for these companies have been considered by Iran," Nikzad said.Read the full story here.
- Karzai tells Americans: don’t talk to Taliban ‘on our behalf’.(Dawn).ISLAMABAD: Afghan President Hamid Karzai may have struggled in Pakistan to get the desired support for reconciliation with the Taliban, but his trip revealed that he was not on the same page with the Americans about their peace efforts despite having endorsed the establishment of group’s office in Qatar.“Americans cannot negotiate on our behalf with the Taliban and with us on behalf of the Taliban,” President Karzai, who was visibly uneasy with the Qatar initiative, told a group of journalists.He was quick to clarify his government’s withdrawal of objection to the Taliban setting up their liaison office. “We only and only agreed to the establishment of office of the Taliban in Qatar. … Venue of talks, actual talks between us and Taliban, should be something we decide. Our preference is Saudi Arabia or Turkey.”Mr Karzai’s statement and what he portrayed as “intellectually candid” discussion with the Pakistani delegation at the bilateral meeting (that was seen by Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar as “hard talk”) reflect a serious disconnect between the stakeholders in the Afghan peace process and growing frustration in Kabul about not being meaningfully involved by the US in the process and Pakistan supposedly not delivering the Taliban leaders for peace talks. The Taliban, meanwhile, haven’t unambiguously indicated their willingness to participate in the peace process.Apparently the scenario looks confusing and it’s unclear how the process would go ahead despite the excitement about Qatar office.It appears that Pakistan has its eyes fixed on post-2014 situation whereby Nato would, as per its commitment, have completed its drawdown and an unclear future for Mr Karzai, who wouldn’t be able to run for another term after completing two tenures.Under this emerging setting Mr Karzai has expanded his contacts beyond the government in Islamabad and has engaged with political and religious leaders, who he thinks could be helpful to him.Starting with meetings with Jamaat-i-Islami, JUI-F and PML-N after his arrival, the Afghan president stayed for an extra day after the conclusion of the trilateral summit and met with JUI-S chief and Taliban’s ‘spiritual leader’ Maulana Samiul Haq, PML-Q leaders Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain and Mushahid Hussain, ANP delegation led by Haji Adeel, PPP-S leader Aftab Sherpao and PkMAP chief Mehmood Khan Achakzai.The common strand in all these meetings was a plea for support to the reconciliation efforts and stopping Taliban insurgents from using Pakistani soil for attacks against Afghanistan.Read the full story here.
- Police arrest 11 Palestinians near Temple Mount.(JPost).Police arrested 11 Palestinians during clashes with stone-throwers who targeted tourists at the Temple Mount on Sunday.Three officers were wounded during the clashes, Police Spokesperson Micky Rosenfeld said, describing the incident as a "disturbance on the Temple Mount."Stone-throwers attacked a group of Christian tourists that were visiting the site. At least 40 officers entered the Temple Mount to deal with the situation, where Rosenfeld said some 50 Palestinians were participating in the rock throwing.Police arrested three suspects on the scene who were involved directly in the attacks. By the afternoon, police announced that eleven people had been arrested, nine of whom were minors who were caught throwing stones.Rosenfeld said the Waqf, which manages the Muslim holy sites on the Temple Mount, participated with police to quiet the tense situation.Despite Palestinian claims of religious Jews trying to storm the Temple Mount, police said that no Jews were around the site. The incident came after unfounded Palestinians reports that a group of "religious [Jewish] Israelis" tried to "storm" the Temple Mount - where the Aksa mosque and Dome of the Rock are located - on Sunday morning, according to Jordanian semi-official newspaper Ad-Dustour.Palestinian sources claimed over the weekend that a group of Jews would attempt to storm the Temple Mount in order to "strengthen Israeli sovereignty over the site," according to the Jordanian newspaper.Read the full story here.
- The sins of the fathers.(Dawn)By Fahad Faruqui. Shakila was only eight-years-old when she and her cousin were abducted from their home. One night, men armed with AK-47s barged into her house and dragged her out as recompense for dishonoring an influential man in the district.You may wonder how a girl of such tender age could have dishonored a grown up? Well, she had nothing to do with the offense; the wealthy man’s wife, however, had eloped with Shakila’s uncle. And the wealthy man wanted compensation the traditional way.The young girls were confined in a dark room for three months. After about six months, they were allowed to wash their clothes for the first time. For sustenance, they were provided bread and water every alternate day. And they were repeatedly beaten.“They tortured us in a way that no human being would treat another,” Shakila said to the New York Times.Shakila’s case is not a unique one when we talk of Afghanistan; young girls are given away to make up for the wrongdoings of others, including murder, adultery and anything that’s not condoned by society. This custom dates back to jahiliyyah (the age of ignorance).This cultural form of justice — in which a girl is traded to settle the dispute — is called “baad.” The practice was deemed illegal as per the Elimination of Violence against Women Act of 2009, but it continues to prevail in Afghanistan. The reason given for the practice is the corruption in the legal system, due to which people resort to “jirgas,” where the local elders decide about what needs to be done. And, yes, giving away women to settle the dispute is in the cards.One can’t say how common it is for girls to be traded to nullify the wrongdoings of someone else in the family. Even if a girl is married to a member of the aggrieved family, it doesn’t mean that she won’t be maltreated. Taking a girl in marriage has the advantage of ensuring that the feud will not continue because, by hook or by crook, the two families become relatives.Shakila’s cousin escaped. And the beatings intensified for Shakila. One day she managed to escape and reach her sister’s house. The family was unable to recognise the malnourished Shakila.What’s most troubling is that the family is not against the practice — this should give you a sense of how deep-rooted this tradition is in Afghanistan (and of course Pakistan). What troubled them was the fact that at birth she was promised in marriage to her cousin in Pakistan, hence she was not their “property” to give away.“We did not mind giving girls,” Gul Zareen told the New York Times. “But she was not mine to give.”Read the full story here.
- Ukraine - Femen Topless Protesters Investigated Over Flag Abuse.(RN).In a first, Ukrainian topless protesters Femen face a criminal case in their home country, though not over their practice of stripping in public for a good cause.A group of unnamed Femen activists may end up in prison for up to four years over climbing onto the balcony of the residence of the Indian ambassador in Kiev and tearing down the Indian flag, local police said on Friday.The activists were enraged by the Indian Foreign Ministry ordering thorough checks into all Ukrainians aged 15 to 40 seeking to enter the country, saying it would help weed out the numerous prostitutes in search of a job.The protesters tore down the Indian flag, beat it about doors and windows and threw it on the ground. Despite temperatures of minus 4 degrees Celsius, all of them were topless.The incident resulted in two cases opened on separate charges of hooliganism and desecration of state symbols, Ukrainian police said. No one was charged as of Friday evening.Femen, media darlings due to their methods of protests, have been active since 2008, staging political protests in Ukraine and outside the country. The group declared freedom of speech and protection of women’s rights as its goals.Group members never faced criminal cases before, getting away with fines or brief arrests. However, hapless activists who tried to stage a protest against the authoritarian ruler of Belarus, Alexander Lukashenko, in December reported severe abuse by local KGB, which beat them up, shaved them bald, stripped them naked and threw them out in a forest. The KGB denied the incident.Read the full story here.
Suicide car bomb kills 15 and wounds 21 in Baghdad (AJ).A suicide car bomber has killed at least 15 people and wounded 21 others in an attack at a checkpoint near a police training academy in northeastern Baghdad."A suicide bomber wearing an explosive belt blew himself up at the entrance of the police academy on Palestine Street," an interior ministry official said, putting the toll at 15 killed and 21 wounded.
Police and hospital sources said on Sunday that the explosion in the Iraqi capital set many cars ablaze, a source at the scene said.
The suicide bomber walked up to the main gate at the academy in a compound on Palestine street in east Baghdad, police sources told Al Jazeera
Baghdad and neighbouring areas have been plagued by a spate of suicide bomb attacks in recent weeks, often targeting the Shia commmunity and killing dozens at a time.Read the full story here.
Police and hospital sources said on Sunday that the explosion in the Iraqi capital set many cars ablaze, a source at the scene said.
The suicide bomber walked up to the main gate at the academy in a compound on Palestine street in east Baghdad, police sources told Al Jazeera
Baghdad and neighbouring areas have been plagued by a spate of suicide bomb attacks in recent weeks, often targeting the Shia commmunity and killing dozens at a time.Read the full story here.
The discussion on stoning adulterers is at ~34:00 and and killing apostates at about ~37:30.
British Muslim cleric Haitham al-Haddad participated in a debate in Amsterdam this past Friday. Asked by a member of the audience who left Islam what the cleric thought of him, al-Haddad told him apostates should be killed in an Islamic country.
In a previous discussion on stoning adulterers, Al-Haddad claimed that he had been approached by European women who had committed adultery and wanted to go to a Muslim country to be stoned for their bad deeds.Iranian-Dutch (former) politician Ehsan Jami said he will lodge a police complaint against al-Haddad for these statements.
Proof electric cars DO cause more pollution than normal ones: Study shows impact is worse than petrol-powered vehicles.(DailyNews).They have been heralded as the environmentally friendly solution to getting around, especially in towns and cities.
But new research in China shows that electric cars have an overall impact on pollution that could be more harmful to health than conventional vehicles.
A study of pollution in 34 Chinese cities has found that the electricity generated by power stations to drive electric vehicles leads to more fine particle emissions than petrol-powered transport.
Chris Cherry, assistant professor in civil and environmental engineering, and graduate student Shuguang Ji, analyzed the emissions and environmental health impacts of five vehicle technologies, focusing on dangerous fine particles.They found that the electricity generated to power electric cars caused more particulate matter pollution than that caused by an equivalent number of petrol driven vehicles.
Particulate matter comes from the combustion of fossil fuels and includes acids, organic chemicals, metals, and soil or dust particles.
Professor Cherry said: 'An implicit assumption has been that air quality and health impacts are lower for electric vehicles than for conventional vehicles.
'Our findings challenge that by comparing what is emitted by vehicle use to what people are actually exposed to.'Professor Cherry and his team focused on China because of the popularity of electric vehicles. E-cars and e-bikes in the country now outnumber conventional vehicles two to one.
For electric vehicles, combustion emissions occur where electricity is generated rather than where the vehicle is used.
In China, 85 per cent of electricity production is from fossil fuels, about 90 per cent of that is from coal.
The authors discovered that the power generated in China to operate electric vehicles emitted fine particles at a much higher rate than gasoline vehicles.
In terms of air pollution impacts, they found, electric cars are more harmful to public health per kilometre traveled in China than conventional vehicles.
'The study emphasizes that electric vehicles are attractive if they are powered by a clean energy source,' Professor Cherry said.Hmmmm......Obama must be close to a Nervous Breakdown after hearing this news?Read the full story here.
Algeria seizes large cache of shoulder-fired missiles smuggled from Libya.(AlArabiya).By Lamine Chikhi.Algerian security forces have found a large cache of weapons, including shoulder-fired missiles, which they believe were smuggled in from neighboring Libya, a security source briefed on the discovery told Reuters on Saturday.The find follows warnings from governments in the region that instability in Libya after the end of Muammar Qaddafi’s rule is allowing weapons taken from Qaddafi’s arsenal to fall into the hands of al-Qaeda’s north African branch and other insurgent groups across the Sahara desert.
The weapons cache was discovered in the desert about 60 km (40 miles) south of In Amenas, an energy-producing Algerian region near the border with Libya, said the source, who spoke to Reuters on condition of anonymity.The source said the cache was located following a tip-off from a smuggler who had been arrested. He said it contained a “large quantity” of arms including the shoulder-launched missiles - a weapon which, in some variations, could be used to bring down an aircraft.
“This weapons seizure shows that the chaos in Libya is dangerous for the whole region,” the source said.There was no official confirmation of the discovery from the Algerian government and there was no way of independently verifying the source’s account.Western security experts tracking arms which have disappeared from Qaddafi’s looted arms depots say the shoulder-fired missiles - also known as man-portable air defense systems, or MANPADS - are one of their biggest concerns because they could be used with relative ease by insurgent groups.Hmmmm.......Israel has already taken action to protect his fleet of commercial aircrafts from such weapons......How about America?Read the full story here.
Iran reportedly building up nuclear site near Qom days ahead of IAEA visit, poised to install thousands of new centrifuges.
Iran reportedly building up nuclear site near Qom days ahead of IAEA visit, poised to install thousands of new centrifuges.(AlArabiya).
The BBC said the centrifuges could speed up the production of enriched uranium, which can be used both for generating nuclear power and to manufacture atomic weapons.
Iran is poised to greatly expand uranium enrichment at a fortified underground bunker to a point that would boost how quickly it could make nuclear warheads, diplomats tell The Associated Press.
They said Tehran has put finishing touches for the installation of thousands of new-generation centrifuges at the cavernous facility - machines that can produce enriched uranium much more quickly and efficiently than its present machines.
While saying that the electrical circuitry, piping and supporting equipment for the new centrifuges was now in place, the diplomats emphasized that Tehran had not started installing the new machines at its Fordo facility and could not say whether it was planning to.
Still, the senior diplomats - who asked for anonymity because their information was privileged - suggested that Tehran would have little reason to prepare the ground for the better centrifuges unless it planned to operate them. They spoke in recent interviews - the last one Saturday.
The reported work at Fordo appeared to reflect Iran’s determination to forge ahead with nuclear activity that could be used to make atomic arms despite rapidly escalating international sanctions and the latent threat of an Israeli military strike on its nuclear facilities.Fordo could be used to make fissile warhead material even without such an upgrade, the diplomats said.
They said that although older than Iran’s new generation machines, the centrifuges now operating there can be reconfigured within days to make such material because they already are enriching to 20 percent - a level that can be boosted quickly to weapons-grade quality.
Their comments appeared to represent the first time anyone had quantified the time it would take to reconfigure the Fordo centrifuges into machines making weapons-grade material.
In contrast, Iran’s older enrichment site at Natanz is producing uranium at 3.4 percent, a level normally used to power reactors. While that too could be turned into weapons-grade uranium, reassembling from low to weapons-grade production is complex, and retooling the thousands of centrifuges at Natanz would likely take weeks.
Diplomats accredited to the IAEA expect little from that visit. They told the AP that - as before - Iran was refusing to allow the agency experts to visit Parchin, the suspected site of explosives testing for a nuclear weapon and had turned down other key requests made by the experts.
Iranian officials deny nuclear weapons aspirations, saying the claims are based on bogus intelligence from the U.S. and Israel.
But IAEA chief Yukiya Amano has said there are increasing indications of such activity. His concerns were outlined in 13-page summary late last year listing clandestine activities that either can be used in civilian or military nuclear programs, or “are specific to nuclear weapons.”
Among these were indications that Iran has conducted high explosives testing and detonator development to set off a nuclear charge, as well as computer modeling of a core of a nuclear warhead. The report also cited preparatory work for a nuclear weapons test and development of a nuclear payload for Iran’s Shahab 3 intermediate range missile - a weapon that could reach Israel.
Diplomats told the AP earlier this month that Iran had added two new series or cascades of old-generation IR-1 centrifuges to its Fordo operation, meaning 348 centrifuges were now operating in four cascades.
Olli Heinonen, who retired last year as the IAEA’s chief Iran inspector, recently estimated that these machines, and two other cascades at Natanz can produce around 15 kilograms (more than 30 pounds) of 20-percent enriched uranium a month, using Iran’s tons of low-enriched uranium as feedstock.
The low and higher enriched uranium now being produced “provides the basic material needed to produce four to five nuclear weapons,” Heinonen said.
Meanwhile Israel said later on Saturday that it will ultimately decree on an Iranian strike on its own, as a senior U.S. official arrived for talks on the Islamic Republic.
“Israel is the central guarantor of its own security; this is our role as army, the State of Israel should defend itself,” military chief of staff Lieutenant General Benny Gantz told state-owned Channel One TV.“We must follow the developments in Iran and its nuclear project, but in a very broad manner, taking into account what the world is doing, what Iran decided, what we will do or not do,” he said.Tensions between Iran and Israel have been simmering with Iranian warships entering the Mediterranean through the Suez Canal in a show of “might”, a move Israel said it would closely monitor.Hmmmm........The race for a nuclear weapon is on.Read the full story here and here.