- Updated !Earthquakes in the last 24 hours in the world seismic activity situation Argentina 6.1 ; Indonesia 5.7 - 5.5 ; India 5.3 - 5.2 !More info here.
- Obama Hearts Israel . . . Oh, Really?(Heritage).At the annual American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) meeting in Washington today, President Barack Obama delivered a speech on US-Israeli relations under his presidency, but with the bad parts left out.“I have kept my commitments to the state of Israel,” Obama declared, “At every crucial juncture – at every fork in the road – we have been there for Israel. Every single time.”What’s not love? A lot.President Obama failed to mention the years he spent trying to “engage” with the Syrian and Iranian regimes — time wasted that would have been better served pursuing a strategy to responding to those countries’ support for terrorism, weapons proliferation, horrible human rights records, and enmity towards Israel.Left undiscussed was the Administration’s missed opportunity to embrace the Green Revolution against Tehran.No word, either, on the years wasted pressing for Israel to negotiate with a Palestinian authority that tolerates Hamas — a terrorist organization dedicated to the destruction of Israel.Not much either on the president’s questionable strategy for Iraq, where the White House was more concerned about getting combat troops out than that the country stays on a path that embraces freedom and security.Our president also skipped over the dramatic rift between Turkey and Israel and all the Administration has not done to close it.Finally, President Obama didn’t touch on massive cuts to U.S. conventional forces and the U.S. nuclear deterrent — cuts that will make America a less valuable and dependable ally to Israel.The President finished his speech by declaring nothing is “off the table” when it comes to dealing with the Iranian nuclear. It would, however, had been far better if he could have given a speech how he had worked to diminish that threat rather delivering an address acknowledging that when his policies fail America might well have to send in the Marines . . . and a lot more.Israel shouldn’t be reassured — or feeling the love.Read the full story here.
- President Responds to the Inaudible Cries for Higher Gasoline Prices.(Heritage).It appears the President studied economics with his textbook upside down.He proposes to raise taxes on oil companies in order to combat high gasoline prices. Or not. Maybe his textbook was right side up and he thinks gasoline prices are too low. That would be consistent with statements by his Secretary of Energy, Steven Chu.On Thursday, the President reiterated his call for higher taxes on oil companies. The President pretends increasing taxes is just removing oil industry subsidies. They are tax increases.For instance, the unfair tax break that makes up nearly half of what Obama calls “subsidies” is the manufacturing tax credit. All manufacturers except the oil and gas industry get to deduct 9 percent of their revenues before calculating their tax bills. (It’s worth noting that “manufacturing” is so broadly defined that it includes newspapers and software companies in addition to producers of wind turbines and solar panels.) Though oil and gas producers get the deduction, they are singled out for a lower 6 percent deduction.Let’s review that. The oil and gas industry gets a deduction that is only two-thirds as generous as for all other manufacturers (wind turbine and solar panel manufacturers and even The New York Times, for example), yet the deduction is called a subsidy to oil and gas. The President’s proposal does not eliminate the deduction for any other industry. So back to the tax-increase story…When the tax increases on oil and gas companies were proposed last year, the Congressional Research Service (CRS) was asked to analyze the impact. Here is their conclusion (emphasis added): On the one hand, the tax changes…would increase tax collections from the oil and natural gas industries and may have the effect of decreasing exploration, development, and production, while increasing prices and increasing the nation’s foreign oil dependence. These same proposals, from an alternate point of view, might be considered to be the elimination of tax preferences that have favored the oil and natural gas industries over other energy sources and made oil and gas products artificially inexpensive, with consumer costs held below the true cost of consumption, when the external costs associated with environmental costs and energy dependence, among other effects, are included.The CRS says there are two ways of looking at the impact of the tax increases:
- They will increase gasoline prices and dependence on foreign oil; or
- They will and should increase gasoline prices, because gasoline is “artificially inexpensive.”
Everybody get that? There is no question about which direction gasoline prices will go if oil industry taxes are raised. They will go up—now and in the future. The real question is whether we want them to go up or not. The Obama Administration has made clear that it wants them to go up. A lot of Americans disagree.Read the full story here.
- Likud politicians mock Obama AIPAC speech.(JPost).Israeli reactions to US President Barack Obama’s speech at the AIPAC Policy Conference in Washington on Sunday were divided along party lines.Deputy Negev and Galilee Development Minister Ayoub Kara (Likud) criticized Obama for saying that too much bluster played into Iranian hands and suggesting that it led to higher gas prices.“There is a saying that it’s easier to watch a fire from far away,” Kara said. “We are facing an existential threat, not the US. If Israel doesn’t bluster, the US will also be in danger, because Iran’s missiles will reach them too. Israel is doing everything possible to keep the world safe, and it’s unfortunate that the White House doesn’t see things the way we see them here.”MK Danny Danon (Likud) mocked Obama’s promises to protect Israel’s security.He said history had proven that Israel can rely only on itself.“Looking back at the way the United States criticized Israel for destroying the nuclear reactor in Iraq, Israel must make its decisions based on its own good judgment,” Danon said.Labor leader Shelly Yacimovich called Obama’s speech unquestionably pro-Israel.In a speech in Herzliya, she wished Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu well in his meeting with the president.Opposition leader Tzipi Livni blamed tension between Netanyahu and Obama on the prime minister. She predicted that there would be a large gap between Obama’s praise for Israel in his speech and what he would say to Netanyahu behind closed doors.“Relations between Israel and the US have become political during Netanyahu’s term,” she said. “Netanyahu made Israel an issue in the American election and it’s a mistake. Netanyahu must understand that relations with the US are an essential need.Our deterrence depends on it. He will be tested on whether he is able to draft the US into our interests or whether he will continue just manipulating internal American politics.”Read the full story here.
- Cardinal Dolan To All U.S. Bishops On Obama Mandate: “We Did Not Ask for This Fight, But We Will Not Run From It”.(CNSNews) — Cardinal Timothy Dolan, archbishop of New York and president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, sent a letter on Friday to all the Catholic bishops of the United States reasserting the conviction of the Catholic Church that it will not yield to the Obama administration’s command — issued in the form of a Health and Human Services regulation implementing the president’s health-care plan — that Catholics and Catholic institutions must violate the teachings of their faith by purchasing and providing health insurance plans that pay for sterilizations, contraceptives and abortifacients.“We have made it clear in no uncertain terms to the government that we are not at peace with its invasive attempt to curtail the religious freedom we cherish as Catholics and Americans,” Cardinal Dolan wrote his brother bishops.“We did not ask for this fight, but we will not run from it,” he said.“Since January 20, when the final, restrictive HHS Rule was first announced,” Cardinal Dolan wrote, “we have become certain of two things: religious freedom is under attack, and we will not cease our struggle to protect it.”Read the full story here.
- Wikileaks: Obama secretly took Russian money for his campaign.(NR).By: Andrea Shea King.The Democratic Party engaged in an effort to throw the 2008 election.And Russian money went to the campaign of Barack Obama much as Chinese money went to the campaign of Bill Clinton during the 1990s.From a piece that ran in The Examiner on February 27th about Wikileaks‘ latest document dump in a series of cables that it calls ‘The Global Intelligence Files.’From: Fred Burton [Sent: Friday, November 07, 2008 7:41 AM.To: firstname.lastname@example.orgSubject: Insight – The Dems and Dirty Tricks ** Internal Use Only – Pls Do Not Forward **** Internal Use Only – Pls Do Not Forward **
1) The black Dems were caught stuffing the ballot boxes in Philly and Ohio as reported the night of the election and Sen. McCain chose not to fight. The matter is not dead inside the party. It now becomes a matter of sequence now as to how and when to “out”.
2) It appears the Dems “made a donation” to Rev. Jesse (no, they would never do that!) to keep his yap shut after his diatribe about the Jews and Israel. A little bird told me it was a “nice six-figure donation”. This also becomes a matter of how and when to out.
3) The hunt is on for the sleezy Russian money into O-mans coffers. A smoking gun has already been found. Will get more on this when the time is right. My source was too giddy to continue. Can you say Clinton and ChiCom funny money? This also becomes a matter of how and when to out.Several key pieces of information are contained in this stunning admission by an operative of one of the most respected intelligence gathering corporations in the world.
- First, the Democratic Party engaged in election tampering, a felony, by stuffing ballot boxes in Pennsylvania and Ohio.
- Second, the Democratic Party paid Jessie Jackson six figures to keep his mouth shut about political issues during the 2008 campaign. It was widely known at the time that Jackson had no use for Obama.
- And third, Russian money went to the campaign of Barack Obama much as Chinese money went to the campaign of Bill Clinton during the 1990s.
These are serious issues that throw into question the integrity of the U.S. elections process and the lengths to which the political parties will go to secure a win, in this case, the Democratic Party and Barack Obama.Ohio and Pennsylvania are merely the two areas where Democratic operatives were caught stuffing ballot boxes. How many other areas around the country were subjected to voter fraud without anyone getting caught?Read the full story here.
- David Axelrod’s Red Roots: Obama Adviser’s Communist Ties Exposed.(TOM).The cover story of the March print edition of The American Spectator is not yet online and, if you are not yet a subscriber to the magazine, I urge you to rush out to the nearest Barnes & Noble or wherever else you can buy a copy, because it’s definitely worth the $5.95 newstand price.Presidential historian Paul Kengor has dug up some fascinating facts about the background of David Axelrod, showing President Obama’s top political strategist to have deep ties to the American Communist Party (CPUSA) and other leftist individuals and organizations. For example, Axelrod’s mother, Myril Bennett Axelrod, worked for the left-wing New York newspaper, PM. Although it lasted less than a decade (1940-48), PM became notorious because of its penetration by Stalinists and others who promoted the Communist Party line on issues both foreign and domestic. Kengor points out that PM‘s famed Washington correspondent, I.F. Stone, was subsequently identified as a Soviet agent both in the so-called “Venona” documents and also by a former top KGB official, Oleg Kalugin.It is unclear where Axelrod’s mother fit in the orbit of Communists, Soviet sympathizers and other “progressives” who worked at PM, Kengor says, because despite “scouring reel upon reel of microfiche” copies of the newspaper, he was “unable to find a single article with Myril’s byline.” Nevertheless, her association with the paper locates her politics on the far-left fringe of the American politic spectrum in the 1940s, which would seem important to understanding her son’s later activities.While a student at the University of Chicago in the early 1970s, David Axelrod began working as a political reporter for the Hyde Park Herald, which Kengor says brought Axelrod to the attention of Don Rose and David Canter. Both of these men were associated with the Communist Party and other far-left organizations.Read the full story here.
- Now THAT Is Cold - 19 Signs That America Is Becoming A Very Heartless Place.(BLN).By Michael Snyder.The economy is not the only thing that is wrong with America. In order for a society to function smoothly, people need to be able to trust one another and be able to expect that most of their fellow citizens will behave in a somewhat civilized manner. Unfortunately, we are starting to see the very fabric of our society slowly unravel all over the nation. The truth is that America is becoming a very heartless place. People simply do not care about one another the way that they used to in this country. Of course there are many exceptions, but the reality is that millions of hearts are going cold from coast to coast. In America today, we are more self-absorbed than ever, more self-centered than ever, and we are more isolated from others than ever. Just think about the number of people that you personally interact with on a regular basis. Unless you are involved with a very large organization such as a school or a church, it is probably a very limited number. Our addiction to entertainment gives us the illusion of being connected to society, but the truth is that Americans spend less time personally interacting with one another than ever before. Meanwhile, Americans are seemingly becoming more arrogant, more prideful, more angry, more brutal, more greedy and more addicted to pleasure than ever before. When you combine millions of very cold hearts with an economy that is rapidly crumbling, that adds up to a whole lot of trouble in the years ahead.Even government authorities are becoming heartless. TSA agents and police officers are actually trained to "act tough" and to bark orders at us. In the old days, you could reason with a police officer, but these days if you try to talk common sense with some of these thugs you will get tasered before you even realize what is happening.The American people can see the deep corruption in Washington D.C. and throughout most of our other major institutions and they wonder why they should keep trying to do "the right thing".If our leaders are selfish and heartless, then it is only natural that millions of average Americans will follow their examples.In America today, we are taught to hate one another. Democrats are taught to hate Republicans and Republicans are taught to hate Democrats. We are a deeply divided nation and our hearts are getting colder with each passing year.Parents are becoming more cruel, thieves are becoming more bold and thugs are becoming more brutal. Hate, anger and frustration are fueling some really twisted behavior all over the country. America is changing, and not for the better.The following are 19 signs that America is becoming a very heartless place....Read the full story here.
- 'Kill potentially harmful kids before they can walk,' Turkish principal says.(HD).A Turkish school principal has suggested that all newborns should be genetically scanned and that those who could prove harmful to the country should be “eliminated.” "Children should be analyzed immediately after birth. If they are to become harmful to this country, to this nation, then they should be eliminated before they can walk," Dumlupınar Elementary School Principal Mustafa Aydın said yesterday during a meeting organized by the police department in the eastern province of Erzurum. The meeting's topic was violence among children and ways to prevent it. Aydın was among the audience and asked to express his opinion after a speaker completed her speech.Aydın proposed the collection of blood samples from criminals at police stations and the use of their genetic codes as templates to compare with those belonging to newborns. Aydın said children could become only as good as their families. "Most children in my neighborhood are thieves," he said. "I walked in the streets around my home, children are sitting around in condemned buildings ... keeping stray dogs as pets. I asked authorities to demolish those buildings but they did not."Aydın also said authorities in Argentina and Brazil were discussing what kind of violence to exact on children. "An organization was founded in Brazil to eliminate street children years ago. I am not making this up," Aydın said, adding that 90 percent of children with violent backgrounds came from families living under social care. The principal's views drew a swift reaction from other speakers at the conference.The Education Ministry removed Aydın from duty today and launched an investigation into the incident.Read the full story here.
- Egypt 17-year-old girl killed for missing curfew.(BM).CAIRO: A 17 year-old Egyptian girl was killed by her family for failing to meet her curfew in Giza. The young girl, Iman, was threatened by her mother that she “will break her neck” if she was late coming home again.The high school student did not read much into the threats, not knowing they were about to become true. The next time she was late, her mother called her brothers, Iman’s two uncles, to come to their house and discipline the girl.Usama, a 31 year-old driver, and Mohie, 27, a plumber, arrived at the house, planning how they would “punish” the girl.According to a report by the New Women Foundation, a women’s rights organization in Egypt, the two men took her in a room in the back of the flat, closed the door and started their disciplinary session.They sat her on a chair, tied her hands and feet, and started beating her with great might. Iman died on the chair, with a bruised and bleeding body. While the beating fest was on going, Iman’s younger sister was present watching.When the two brothers suspected that the young girl died under their heavy hand, they asked the mother for help. They then put her on the lower floor of the building, right under the stairs, and said she fell to her death.They cleaned up the house and called the police. When Iman’s body was examined at the Giza criminal coroner, the doctor found beating marks and informed General Ahmed al-Naghy, the interior minister’s assistance at the Giza security.One of the officers also remarked that the younger sister was frightened, and went back to question her again. She finally confessed that her uncles and mother killed her sister.The two men were shortly after arrested and later confronted with the younger sister’s story. They soon confessed to their crime, saying they were only trying to help the mother modify Iman’s behavior.Read the full story here.