Monday, October 10, 2011
This happened over the weekend down in Atlanta where Rep. John Lewis wanted to speak to the group but wasn’t allowed because the ‘collective’ couldn’t agree on it. Seriously, they couldn’t even agree on allowing one of their own to speak. How revealing this video is.I’d skip to the six minute mark or so if you can’t take the whole video.
- Updated !Earthquakes in the last 24 hours in the world seismic activity Japan 5.5; Russia 5.2 ; Papua New Guinea 5.3 and Chile 5.3 ! More info here.
- Japan : For the most accurate info on the nuclear disaster go to : Paul Langley's Nuclear History Blog.Here.
- BREAKING NEWS: Congressman Darrell Issa to Eric Holder- ‘You Own Fast and Furious’.(BigGovernment).As you will recall, Attorney General Eric Holder sent a letter to Senate and Congressional investigators on Friday, October 7th. It was a self-serving attempt to get Congressman Issa and Senator Charles Grassley to call off the chase that was clearly leading investigators to Holder’s front door.To make a long story short, I just received an email from Congressman Issa’s office that proves the investigators are not only going to continue their pursuit, but that Holder is their central focus.The email contained a copy of an absolutely scathing letter which Issa has sent in response to Holder’s not-so-veiled attempt he stall the investigation last Friday.
Here are pertinent excerpts:
Dear Attorney General Holder:
From the beginning of the congressional investigation into Operation Fast and Furious, the Department of Justice has offered a roving set of ever-changing explanations to justify its involvement in this reckless and deadly program. These defenses have been aimed at undermining the investigation. From the start, the Department insisted that no wrongdoing had occurred and asked Senator Grassley and me to defer our oversight responsibilities over its concerns about our purported interference with its ongoing criminal investigations. Additionally, the Department steadfastly insisted that gunwalking did not occur.
Once documentary and testimonial evidence strongly contradicted these claims, the Department attempted to limit the fallout from Fast and Furious to the Phoenix Field Division of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). When that effort also proved unsuccessful, the Department next argued that Fast and Furious resided only within ATF itself, before eventually also assigning blame to the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Arizona. All of these efforts were designed to circle the wagons around DOJ and its political appointees.
To that end, just last month, you claimed that Fast and Furious did not reach the upper levels of the Justice Department. Documents discovered through the course of the investigation, however, have proved each and every one of these claims advanced by the Department to be untrue.It appears your latest defense has reached a new low. Incredibly, in your letter from Friday you now claim that you were unaware of Fast and Furious because your staff failed to inform you of information contained in memos that were specifically addressed to you. At best, this indicates negligence and incompetence in your duties as Attorney General. At worst, it places your credibility into serious doubt.
… Mr. Attorney General, you have made numerous statements about Fast and Furious that have eventually been proven to be untrue. Your lack of trustworthiness while speaking about Fast and Furious has called into question your overall credibility as Attorney General. The time for deflecting blame and obstructing our investigation is over. The time has come for you to come clean to the American public about what you knew about Fast and Furious, when you knew it, and who is going to be held accountable for failing to shut down a program that has already had deadly consequences, and will likely cause more casualties for years to come.
Operation Fast and Furious was the Department’s most significant gun trafficking case. It related to two of your major initiatives – destroying the Mexican cartels and reducing gun violence on both sides of the border. On your watch, it went spectacularly wrong. Whether you realize yet or not, you own Fast and Furious. It is your responsibility.
With such an open rebuke of Holder, wherein Issa has unapologetically put the blame for Fast and Furious squarely upon him, it will interesting to see how long President Obama can afford (politically) to keep Holder on board.Read the full story here.
- BREAKING: Violence Feared at #OccupyChicago Today (UPDATED).(BigGovernment).Big Government has learned that anarchist groups, led by Lisa Fithian and working with Democrats and unions on the ground in Chicago, intend forcibly to disrupt the Mortgage Bankers’ Association meeting at the Hyatt Regency Chicago and other locations this afternoon.Violence is possible, as local police and security officers seem unprepared for a confrontation with thousands of activists converging on the Hyatt from multiple other staged demonstrations in Chicago.
Fithian, a veteran anarchist organizer who is widely credited with shutting down the World Trade Organization meeting in Seattle in 1999, has apparently arrived in Chicago after participating in the #OccupyWallStreet demonstration in New York.
According to Big Government sources, Fithian is currently training union leaders from the Service Employees’ International Union and the Teamsters Union in preparation for today’s demonstration. Her strategy may be to draw law enforcement officers to multiple protest sites, then to shift demonstrations suddenly to one central site.Democratic activists and leaders, including Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-IL), are expected to address the demonstrators today as part of “Stand Up Chicago,” a broad coalition of community organizing groups coordinated by the SEIU and promoted by left-wing bloggers in the area.The Chicago demonstration is the latest example of cooperation between anarchists, unions, and Democrats, who share an interest in targeting America’s free market system–some with the explicit intention of destroying it, others with the hope that the spectacle will help President Barack Obama’s re-election efforts by “inspir[ing] the progressive base.”Citizen journalists are urged to record and report the demonstrations, and to contact law enforcement regarding any illegal or violent activity. Follow #OccupyChicago, #TakeBackChicago, and #occupymortgagebankers to monitor protest activities on Twitter.Read the full evolving story here.
- Democratic Party Going All-In On Occupy Wall Street Protests, Circulates Petition To “Stand With” Them.(NationalReview).Robby Mook, the executive director of the DCCC just sent out a fund-raising email titled “@Stake: Occupy Wall Street.” It contains the following:
PETITION: I Stand with #OccupyWallStreet
Protestors are assembling in New York and around the country to let billionaires, big oil and big bankers know that we’re not going to let the richest 1% force draconian economic policies and massive cuts to crucial programs on Main Street Americans.Out-of-touch Republican Majority Leader Eric Cantor said he is “increasingly concerned by the growing mobs.” Mobs? That must be what Republicans refer to as the middle class, or maybe the millions of unemployed Americans across the country.As Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi told reporters, “The message of the American people is that no longer will the recklessness of some on Wall Street cause massive joblessness on Main Street…”Help us send a message straight to Eric Cantor, Speaker Boehner, and the rest of reckless Republican leadership in Congress:Sign our petition right now and help us reach 100,000 strong standing with #OccupyWallStreet protestors across the country.If you follow the link, it will take you the DCCC’s website.Hmmmm......"To protect The Constitution?"Read the full story here.
- Dozens of Fast and Furious Weapons Found in Mexico Cartel Enforcer’s Home.(LATimes).High-powered assault weapons illegally purchased under the ATF’s Fast and Furious program in Phoenix ended up in a home belonging to the purported top Sinaloa cartel enforcer in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, whose organization was terrorizing that city with the worst violence in the Mexican drug wars.In all, 100 assault weapons acquired under Fast and Furious were transported 350 miles from Phoenix to El Paso, making that West Texas city a central hub for gun traffickers. Forty of the weapons made it across the border and into the arsenal of Jose Antonio Torres Marrufo, a feared cartel leader in Ciudad Juarez, according to federal court records and trace documents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.The smugglers’ tactics — quickly moving the weapons far from ATF agents in southern Arizona, where it had been assumed they would circulate — vividly demonstrate that what had been viewed as a local problem was much larger. Six other Fast and Furious guns destined for El Paso were recovered in Columbus, N.M.“These Fast and Furious guns were going to Sinaloans, and they are killing everyone down there,” said one knowledgeable U.S. government source, who asked for anonymity because of the ongoing investigations. “But that’s only how many we know came through Texas. Hundreds more had to get through.”Torres Marrufo, also known as “the Jaguar,” has been identified by U.S. authorities as the enforcer for Sinaloa cartel chieftain Joaquin “Chapo” Guzman. The Fast and Furious weapons were found at one of Torres Marrufo’s homes April 30 when Mexican police inspected the property. It was unoccupied but “showed signs of recent activity,” they said.The basement had been converted into a gym with a wall covered with built-in mirrors. Behind the mirrors they found a hidden room with the Fast and Furious weapons and dozens more, including an antiaircraft machine gun, a sniper rifle and a grenade launcher.Read the full story here.
- Issa Demands White House Hand Over Documents On $4.7 Billion In Solar Loans Pushed Through To Meet Sept. 30 Deadline.(TheHill).House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) is demanding Energy Department documents relating to more than $4.7 billion in loan guarantees for solar projects approved Sept. 30, the deadline for financing under the stimulus law.Issa’s quest for documents — spelled out in an Oct. 7 letter to Energy Secretary Steven Chu obtained by The Hill on Monday — signals a deepening of his loan guarantee probe, which joins a separate House Energy and Commerce Committee investigation of the failed solar panel manufacturing company Solyndra.Issa’s letter, noting “concerns” that the $535 million guarantee for Solyndra in 2009 was rushed, says the same questions apply to the four solar power generation projects approved at the end of September.“$4.75 billion in loan guarantees given on the last day of the program raise similar concerns that the evaluation of loan guarantees may have been rushed to meet the deadline,” Issa writes.The letter seeks documents about the financing for First Solar Inc., SunPower Corp. and Prologis Inc. by Oct. 21. The documents include Energy Department communications with the companies involved, internal department communications, and communications with the White House.Issa said on "Fox News Sunday" that his panel is looking for “political interference” in the loan guarantee decisions.An Energy Department spokesman defended the clean-energy loan guarantees issued on deadline late last month.Administration emails released Oct. 7 include communications showing a senior Treasury Department official's concerns that the Energy Department’s early 2011 decision to restructure the struggling company’s loan arrangement might have been illegal.Republicans allege the administration rushed the Solyndra financing in 2009 for political reasons, and are also faulting the restructuring that put private investors ahead of taxpayers for repayment if the company went under.But on "Fox News Sunday" Issa rejected any comparison between his criticism of the Obama administration’s actions on loan guarantees and his own advocacy for financing.“There’s a big difference between sending a letter in for an existing pot of money for a program that I voted against and having the ability to act to pick winners and losers,” Issa said on the program Sunday.Read the full story here.
- Judicial Watch Releases Comprehensive Special Report on President Obama’s 45 Czars.(JW).Judicial Watch, the public interest organization that investigates and prosecutes government corruption, today released “President Obama’s Czars,” a special report on the President’s appointing of “policy advisors,” many of whom enjoy positions of power and authority in the administration and yet have not been subjected to vetting and confirmation by the U.S. Senate. Judicial Watch’s extensive investigation exhaustively documents these czar appointments and details the control these czars exercise over government operations.
From the report’s introduction:
“This Judicial Watch Special Report analyzes the proliferation of so-called ‘czars’ in the Obama administration. President Barack Obama has installed personal advisors in czar positions in the White House and has created new czar positions elsewhere in the Executive Branch. As of the date of this report, the number of czars that have been appointed by the President, or by others in his administration, appears to total 45. In addition, there are as many as 18 other unfilled or planned czar positions.
“Many of these ‘czars’ are unconfirmed by the Senate and are largely unaccountable to Congress. Further, their activities are often outside the reach of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), creating a veil of secrecy about their precise role in the administration.”The new report is available at Judicial Watch’s website
- Czars appointees have seized unprecedented control over major aspects of government policy and programs. In some instances, unconfirmed czars have authority, in seeming violation of the U.S. Constitution, over certain Senate-confirmed officers.
- A number of the czars have been linked to scandals, thefts and kickbacks, flagrant and offensive statements, conflicts of interest, and radical leftist political ideologies and policies.
- “Barack Obama’s unconstitutional use of czars to help run his administration is at odds with republican, limited, and accountable government. Obama has simply installed his radical leftist allies in various positions of power while thumbing his nose at Congress and the American people. As we document in this report, too many of these czars have proven to be corrupt or radicals (or sometimes both). No wonder the Obama administration fights tooth and nail to allow these czars to operate in secret. Nevertheless, Judicial Watch managed to develop this comprehensive list of czars as part of efforts to ensure government accountability.”Read the full story here.
- Craig's List Ad: Working Families Party Offers Job For Occupy Wall St. Protestors at $350-650 a Week.(InfidelBloggers).By Pastorius.I guess it depends upon your experience and qualifications, huh?For God's sake.The Working Families Party (WFP) (www.workingfamiliesparty.org) is New York's most energetic, independent and progressive political party. Formed in 1998 by a grassroots coalition of community organizations, neighborhood activists, and labor unions, we came together to build a society that works for all of us, not just Wall Street CEOs and the well-connected. WFP is independent from corporate and government funding and in-addition we are community based; community funded and equally uninfluenced by both major parties. Our agenda focuses on economic and social justice, corporate accountability, job creation, environmental protection, and investment in education and healthcare. For the past twelve years the WFP has been at the fore front of progressive politics, Leading the fight and helping to frame the debate. The WFP has a proud record of fighting for issues that matter and has been instrumental in implementing key pieces of legislation such as Raising New York's Minimum Wage, Enacting Living Wage Laws, Creating Thousands of Jobs In the Green Economy, Passing Healthcare Reforms on the Local Level, Fighting for Affordable Housing, Keeping Tuition Costs Low, A Progressive Tax Code, Reliable/Cost Effective Public Transit System, Public Financing Of Elections and Corporate Accountability . In addition, we have an unapologetic stance on supporting and pushing good candidates to enact progressive legislation The WFP is seeking immediate hires. You must be an energetic communicator, with a passion for social and economic justice. Only outgoing, articulate dedicated, determined candidates will be considered for the positions. For those candidates that qualify WFP offers substantial paid-training provided by senior leadership, on varied issues such as: advocacy, public speaking, mobilizing, fundraising, networking and organizing. We invest in passionate people with excellent communication skills and a full benefits package is offered to those candidates that qualify. In addition, there is opportunity for advancement and travel to our satellite chapters and out of state affiliates. This is not a policy job! Through direct action you will be shaping NY state politics for the next 20 years. If you care about New York and want to help educate and mobilize around legislative campaigns-then we look forward to hearing from you!
Apply at http://www.workingfamiliesparty.org/jobs/.
Compensation: $350-$650 A Week Depending On Responsibility and Length Of Time On Staff . Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster. Please, no phone calls about this job! Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.Hmmmm......"Occupy Wallstreet"the 'hottest' job in town?Read and see the full story here.
- Egypt:At least 36 dead in clashes between Copts and Egyptian security forces.(AlArabiya). At least 36 people were killed and 272 injured in clashes between Coptic Christians and Egyptian security forces on Sunday near the state television building, known as Maspero, in Cairo, Egypt’s health ministry said.Egypt’s army rulers, meanwhile, imposed a curfew on Cairo’s Tahrir Square and downtown area, the state media announced. Tahrir Square was the epicenter of the February uprising that overthrew former President Hosni Mubarak.A correspondent of Al Arabiya, whose office buildings are in the Maspero area, said there was heavy gunfire in the clashes as protesters seized weapons from torched military vehicles. She said she saw bodies outside the building but did not know if they were wounded or dead.The clashes were prompted by an attack on a Coptic Christian church in Merinab village in Aswan on Sept. 30 by Muslims who said the church did not have the proper license to build a dome. State television said the church was attacked after Aswan governor Mustafa al-Seyyed was reported as saying Copts had built it without the required planning permission.“Down with the marshal,” the demonstrators chanted on the march to Maspero, referring to Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi who took power in February after Mubarak’s ouster in the face of mass street protests.“We were marching peacefully,” Talaat Youssef, a 23-year old Christian trader, told Reuters at the scene.“When we got to the state television building, the army started firing live ammunition,” he said, adding that military vehicles ran over protesters, killing five. His account could not be immediately confirmed.“The army is supposed to be protecting us,” Youssef said.Hundreds fought with sticks on a Cairo bridge and protests later spread to Tahrir Square, the focal point of the February uprising, as Muslims joined the rally in a show of solidarity. Smoke from tear gas swirled over the square as thousands of protesters chanted “The people demand the fall of the field marshal”.A Reuters witness said the army had moved in to contain the unrest, beating some protesters with batons.State TV and sources said at least 150 people were injured on Sunday, without saying how many of them were protesters. It had earlier said three of the dead were soldiers.The government has appealed for calm. Prime Minister Essam Sharaf said he had contacted security and church authorities to contain the situation.In a televised speech he called the clashes unjustified violence that raised fears about Egypt's transition to democracy. “The only beneficiary of these events and acts of violence are the enemies of the January revolution and the enemies of the Egyptian people, both Muslim and Christian,” he said on his Facebook page.“The absence of a state of law is the cause of what is happening. Freedom of expression is the basis of a democratic society and a state of law,”Political analyst Amr Hashim Rabei told Al Arabiya.“This has not happened for months. Coptic leaders should ask protesters to exercise calm and follow their case in courts.”Speaking to Al Arabiya from Tahrir Square, Bashir Abdel-Fattah, of the official daily Al-Ahram, said more numbers of Copts were heading to the area of clashes. “Copts from different neighborhoods of Cairo are still coming to the area in increasing numbers,” Abdel-Fattah said.Sectarian clashes are frequent in Egypt where Copts, who make up 10 percent of the 80-million-strong population, have been the target of attacks and have repeatedly accused the authorities of systematic discrimination.Read the full story here.Pictures here.
- Egypt, Protesters killed in Maspero protest refused accurate death certificates.(NikyaMasr).CAIRO: Almost 300 protesters are in front of The Coptic Hospital in downtown Cairo, waiting for the hospital to release accurate death certificates for those killed last night when the military opened fire on a Coptic Christian protest.The hospital is not releasing accurate information about the cause of death for those who died last night. It has claimed that people who were rolled over by tanks, for instance, had died of asphyxiation.Most of the bodies are in the hospital at the moment, as Egyptians gather around to protest the false death certificates.A Bikyamasr correspondent from the scene reported that the bodies are on the floor in the room of a hospital without air conditioning. A group of citizens put blocks of ice on the bodies to prevent them from decomposing.A few bodies of the deceased have already arrived at the Abbasseya Cathedral, where many have gathered already for a funeral mass today.Pope Shenouda, the leader of the Coptic church, made a statement earlier today imploring people to wait for accurate death certificates before burying their loved ones.Pope Shenouda is set to preside over the burial mass.Many gathering in front of the hospital have demanded that the bodies should not be buried without proper documentation, but others reportedly have little faith that their loved ones will receive accurate certificates, and want to move ahead with the burial ceremonies to honor those who died.The hospital will not release any information.Some have suggested that the bodies should be moved to another hospital for accurate autopsies, however this has not yet materialized amid fears that moving the bodies will set back the process further.The clashes broke out after the country’s military, security forces and citizens fired upon a protest set to advocate for Coptic rights and protection in front of Egypt’s Maspero state TV building on Sunday.Read the full story here.
- Jewish Woman in Labor Survives PA Lynch Attempt.(IsrealNationalNews).Palestinian Authority terrorists continued their attacks on innocent Jewish motorists over Yom Kippur, this time attacking a woman in labor and her husband as they rushed to the hospital. The husband, Ariel Goldman of Pnei Kedem, told Arutz Sheva that the two were lucky to escape with their lives.Their ordeal began near Har Homa at 2:30 a.m., as they drove to Hadassah Ein Karem hospital in Jerusalem. Suddenly, they encountered a point in the road that had been blocked by large stones.As Goldman slowed the car, looking for a way around the trap, several Palestinian Authority terrorists jumped out and began to hurl rocks at the car.The attack turned into a game of cat and mouse, as Goldman looked for ways around the rocks and tried to keep moving, while the terrorists followed the car and continued to pelt it with heavy stones, using a tactic that recently resulted in two deaths near Hevron.The terrorists “had murder in their eyes,” Goldman said.He finally managed to pass the stone barrier and speed away from the group of attackers, only to encounter a second group that attempted to stone the car near the Jerusalem neighborhood of Talpiot. Goldman managed to speed away a second time.A policewoman he later encountered appeared uninterested by his story, but promised to notify her superiors, he said.Ariel Goldman and his wife managed to reach the hospital, where she gave birth to a baby boy. Both the baby and mother are in good condition.Read the full story here.
- Iranian lawmaker:"Women who violate scarf law should be stripped of passports".(Alarabiya).A member of Iranian parliament’s judicial commission on Sunday demanded the government withdraw passports from women who violate a law requiring them to wear the Muslim headscarf, Fars News Agency reported. “The government is giving the green light for non-compliance with the veil and the police have failed to stand up to this phenomenon alone,” Mohammad Taghi Rahbar was quoted as saying.He added that 236 members of the Iranian parliament, in a letter sent to the cabinet, demanded strict measures against violators of the headscarf law. “Our dear government did not pay any attention to a letter of representatives, but it gave the green light for non-compliance with the veil,” Rahba said.He said the situation of non-compliance with the headscarf law was “worse now than during the rule of reformists,” referring to the former administration of President Mohammad Khatami. He said state television was partly to blame for not urging women to comply with the law. “I don’t know what kind of brains are running the state television, which airs silly programs,” the conservative head of the clerical bloc in parliament said.Iranian “morality police” hold occasional crackdowns in major cities against women who do not wear the headscarf in the manner required by authorities. The Iran Star website has recently called on women to briefly remove their headscarves every Thursday in protest against the suppression of women’s rights in the Islamic Republic.Read the full story here.
- Iranian student lashed 74 times for 'insulting' Ahmadinejad.(YNet).An Iranian student was released on Sunday from prison after an 11-month incarceration but not before he was subjected to 74 lashes for sending an insulting letter to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Peyman Aref, a student of political science at Tehran University, was jailed because of anti-government political activity. He was found guilty of spreading propaganda against the regime. According to a report in the Guardian, Aref was lashed with his wife present in the room. "My crime was that I had written a letter to Ahmadinejad and reminded him what he had done to universities," he said.Aref was most likely punished because he had refused to begin the letter with the formal greeting of 'Salam' as a sign of protest."Lashing people sentenced to various charges such as those caught drinking alcohol is common in Iran but political activists are usually lashed for ambiguous charges such as desecrating Islam or prophets," an Iranian journalist based in Tehran told the newspaper. "Lashing Aref for insulting Ahmadinejad is shocking and unprecedented." Meanwhile, an Iranian opposition website reported Sunday that actress Marzieh Vafamehr has been sentenced to a year in jail and 90 lashes for her role in a film about the limits imposed on artists in the Islamic republic."A verdict has been issued for Marzieh Vafamehr, sentencing her to a year in jail and 90 lashes," Kalameh.com reported."Her lawyer has appealed the sentence, which was handed down yesterday (Saturday)," the report added, without giving further details.Vafamehr was arrested in July after appearing in "My Tehran for Sale," which came under harsh criticism in conservative circles.The film, produced in collaboration with Australia, tells the story of a young actress in Tehran whose theatre work is banned by the authorities. She is then forced to lead a secret life in order to express herself artistically.The Fars news agency said the movie had not been approved for screening in Iran and was being distributed in the country illegally.Vafamehr was released in late July after posting unspecified bail.Read the full story here.More (Pictures) here.
- “Global warming is a bogus proposition…”(WUWT).That headline from Zhang Musheng, one of China’s most influential intellectuals according to this article in the Sydney Morning Herald.A new study by the Netherlands Environment Assessment Agency shows China now emits far more greenhouse emissions than any other country, with emissions doubling between 2003 and 2010.China’s carbon emissions rose 10 per cent last year alone, to 9 billion tonnes, compared with 5.2 billion tonnes for the United States.The report showed India’s emissions also rose rapidly, by 9 per cent, although its total emissions are still only one-fifth of China’s.The most startling finding, however, is that China’s per capita emissions are now higher than several rich nations including France and Italy. China’s per capita emissions could even overtake the US within six years, the study said.”If the current trends in emissions by China and the industrialised countries including the US would continue for another seven years, China will overtake the US by 2017 as highest per capita emitter among the 25 largest emitting countries,” said the Netherlands report, which was sponsored by the European Commission and is based partly on BP energy consumption statistics.Read the full story here.
- Dutch Freedom Party parliamentarian, Wim Kortenoeven warns of Turkish Imperialsm and extreme Islamism in OSCE meeting.(TundraTabloids).Read the full story here.
- Pakistan - Masked Men Storm Girls’ School, Beat Students and Teachers, Warn Them to Dress Modestly.(Vinienco).In a first for the garrison city, sixty masked men carrying iron rods barged into a girls’ school in Rawalpindi and thrashed students and female teachers on Friday.The gang of miscreants also warned the inmates at the MC Model Girls High School in Satellite Town to “dress modestly and wear hijabs” or face the music, eyewitnesses said.Fear gripped the area following the attack and only 25 of the 400 students studying in the college were present on Saturday. The school employs 30 female teachers.Attendance in other educational institutions also remained low. After hearing about the attack, all schools in the city shut down, an official of the Rawalpindi District Administration (RDA) told The Express Tribune.A student of the girls’ school managed to inform the administration of the nearby boys’ high school of the attack. “[However,] the armed gang was so powerful that we could not rescue our teachers and colleagues over there,” Noail Javed, a grade 10 student, said.In-charge of MC High Schools in Rawalpindi issued a notification to the heads of all girls’ schools to take pre-emptive measures to avoid such incidents in future. According to the notification, a gang comprising 60 to 70 miscreants entered into the school from a gate that was “strangely open”.All the MC school heads were assigned the responsibility of protecting the students by the notification. A school headmistress wishing not to be named said, “How is it possible for us to protect the students from such elements. The city administration should review its security plan.”The notification also suggested that the heads should not inform the students about the situation, so that they are not alarmed into skipping school. “Police is investigating the matter,” the notification said. Following the notification, the heads of the schools also shared the numbers of relevant police stations with the teachers in case of any untoward situation in future.Asjad Ali, a student of class 9 at the nearby boys’ high school, said that his younger brother Awais, a student of grade 5, was also among those who were brutally beaten by the miscreants with iron rods. “The police did not come,” he said.A police official of the New Town Police Station, asking for anonymity, told The Express Tribune, “We were under strict instructions to do nothing.”District Education Officer Qazi Zahoor and Rawalpindi Commissioner Zahid Saeed were not immediately available for comments.Read the full story here.
- And now for something completely different !Siberian region 'confirms Yeti exists'.(HurriyetDaily).A Russian region in Siberia on Monday confidently proclaimed that its mountains are home to yetis after finding "indisputable proof" of the existence of the hairy beasts in an expedition.The local administration of the Kemerovo region in the south of Siberia said in a statement on its website that footprints and possibly even hair samples belonging to the yeti were found on the research trip to its remote mountains."During the expedition to the Azasskaya cave, conference participants gathered indisputable proof that the Shoria mountains are inhabited by the 'Snow Man'," the Kemerovo region administration said in a press-release.The expedition was organised after Kemerovo's governor invited researchers from the United States, Canada, and several other countries to share their research and stories of encounters with the creature at a conference."They found his footprints, his supposed bed, and various markers with which the yeti marks his territory," the statement said. The collected "artifacts" will be analysed in a special laboratory, it said.Yetis, or Abominable Snowmen, are hairy ape-like creatures of popular myth, that are generally held to inhabit the Himalayas.But some believe Russia also holds a population of yetis, which it calls Snow Men, in remote areas of Siberia.Kemerovo region's Shoria is a sparsely populated territory in Western Siberia that has historically been a territory of coal and metal mining. The region, the administrative center of Kuznetsk coal basin, has pursued the elusive Yeti for several years as it tries to develop tourism into its mostly industrial economy.Considering the latest findings, the region may "create a special research center to study the Yeti" in the regional university and "create a journal" dedicated to the science of the Yeti, the administration's statement said.Read and see the full story here.
Mufti of Syria Ahmad Badr Al-Din Hassoun Threatens to Activate Suicide Bombers in Europe and the U.S.
Ahmad Badr Al-Din Hassoun: The moment the first missile hits Syria, all the sons and daughters of Lebanon and Syria will set out to become martyrdom-seekers in Europe and on Palestinian soil. I say to all of Europe and to the US: We will prepare martyrdom-seekers who are already among you, if you bomb Syria or Lebanon. From now on, it will be "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, and he who dealt the first blow is more unjust," and you are the ones who have done us an injustice.
I say to every Arab and to every human being: Do not think that the people who will commit martyrdom in France, Britain, or the US, will be Arabs and Muslims. They will be a new Jules Jammal or a new Muhammad Al-Durrah. They will all be like the righteous [of the past]. I beg you not to come near our country.
Sunday, October 9, 2011
- Updated !Earthquakes in the last 24 hours in the world seismic activity New Zealand 5.5 and Northern Mariana Islands 5.2 ! More info here.
- Japan : For the most accurate info on the nuclear disaster go to : Paul Langley's Nuclear History Blog.Here.
- Will This Post Stop The Wall St. Protest in Its Tracks?(BigPeace).ByDanFriedman.
To: Republican candidates and strategists
Re: “Occupy Wall St. movement,” a blessing in disguise
The “Occupy Wall St. movement” and the people behind it face an irreconcilable internal contradiction. The centrist American people know it’s plainly a leftist enterprise with some union muscle imported for laughs. So the longer the protests last and the more disruptive they get, the greater the opportunity to remind the country it’s all unnecessary turmoil spawned by Obama’s regime. Republicans, the election is approaching. When it comes to the “Occupy Wall St. movement” your mission – and you must not refuse it – is to connect the dots and make certain every American understands that Obama owns it.Read the full story here.
- Unofficial confirmation that the White House is behind #OccupyWallStreet.(DougRoss).Via Matt Drudge, we get a little bit more confirmation that the Community-Organizer-In-Chief seems content to align himself with Communists threatening violence against 'the rich', anarchists, Jew-haters, wealthy union bosses like Hoffa and Trumka, and cop-bashers.
I regret to tell you this, but we're creeping ever closer to civil unrest. Which appears to be the president's aim.Read and see the full story here.
- Canada - There's a word for what the OHRC allows: Bigotry.(Sun).By EzraLevant.The Ontario Human Rights Commission says it’s illegal to advertise an apartment for “students” or “seniors” only — that’s age discrimination.But when the OHRC was asked about dozens of “Muslims-only” apartment-for-rent ads in the Toronto area, they said it’s out of their hands.Earlier this summer, the OHRC was clearly short of real work to do, so it started creeping through apartment rental ads online — cyberstalking is what some people might call it. It was appalled by severely normal things landlords were saying.They came up with an official list of illegal words to use in apartment ads. “Perfect apartment for a student” is illegal. Seriously — that’s one of the examples from the OHRC website. It said that’s age discrimination. Calling your apartment an “adult building?” Illegal. “Perfect for female student”. Illegal.This summer, the OHRC threatened landlords and even the websites that advertised these “discriminatory” words. But reporter Sarah Boesveld was poking around the website Kijiji.ca and found 32 apartments that say “only Muslims need apply.” She called up the human rights commission … which said it’s out of its hands.Now, a part of private property is the right to choose who gets to come on it — no matter what your reason is. Think of the middle-aged male who wants to move into a sorority house. But that right goes further — including the right to exclude people for any reason at all. If you don’t like their personality, their annoying laugh, the colour of their eyes. And even the colour of their skin. That’s the point about private property: You have the right to be wrong — you even have the right to be racist.We don’t like the idea of people being racist. “Muslims only” is another way of saying “no Jews allowed” or “no Christians allowed.”But it’s their property, not ours. If people don’t like it, they can have a little picket outside the property, on the street. A restaurant that discriminated that way might soon lose the business of fair-minded customers. But there is a market for some kinds of discrimination.Take women-only fitness clubs. Surely they have the right to discriminate against men. Surely the Black Students Society can only allow blacks in. Surely a movie theatre can charge kids less than adults.Discrimination is something we do every day — it’s really another word for choosing. Sometimes people make choices for odious reasons. That’s the price of freedom — and it’s a far lower price to pay than the costs of having a government so invasive that it can barge its way into every wrinkle of our lives, including our own homes.I’m not for prosecuting these 32 Muslims-only landlords. If they want someone who follows their religion — for example, who won’t bring pork or alcohol into the house, and who will respect their religious traditions — that’s fine.But the Ontario Human Rights Commission doesn’t believe in property rights or freedom of association. They believe in counterfeit rights — like the right not to be offended. Except, of course, if the person doing the offending is Muslim, and the people being offended are Jews and Christians and Sikhs and Hindus and atheists.There’s a word for people like those at the OHRC who have different standards for different religions: Bigots.Hmmmm.......On this Canadian Thanksgiving day....lets say "Only in Canada"?Read the full story here.
- Obama’s War On America’s Domestic Aircraft Industry jobs.(BigPeace).Two companies, one a Kansas-based airplane manufacturer and the other its Brazilian competitor, are competing for an Air Force contract to build a new aircraft to perform light air support (LAS) and light attack and armed reconnaissance (LAAR) roles.There are several reasons why the Obama administration ought to reward the contract to Hawker Beechcraft, in my view. As former-Rep. Todd Tiahrt has pointed out, awarding the contract to Hawker Beechcraft would create and sustain over 1,400 jobs here at home, while Embraer would build virtually its entire plane in Brazil and then import pieces to the U.S. for final assembly, creating only about 50 jobs here. Elsewhere, I have also pointed out the potential pitfalls of awarding a U.S. defense contract to Brazil, a country with a “golden share” rule that essentially grants the government full authority over the means of production with regard to military programs.Now we must consider a new wrinkle in the contest over the contract. It appears as though the Obama administration is targeting the U.S. airplane manufacturing industry with a highly negative rhetorical assault at around the same time the Federative Republic of Brazil is providing deep tax cuts for its defense-related industries. In fact, Brazil’s President Dilma Rouseff just signed a bill exempting Brazilian defense contracts from paying taxes for five years. “We don’t want to produce only for Brazil. We know our competitiveness resides in our ability to export,” Rousseff said.I’m a free trader. And tax cuts are good. But how is an American company supposed to compete for an American defense contact while at the same time the Obama administration is floating tax increases on the exact same industry here at home? “Corporate jet owners” have become synonymous with “millionaires and billionaires” and “fat cats” in the president’s speeches in recent months. “You’ll still be able to ride on your corporate jet. You’re just going to have to pay a little more,” Obama mocked U.S. businessmen and women last June.Hawker Beechcraft doesn’t just manufacture warplanes. A substantial portion of its business is in manufacturing those same corporate jets President Obama wants to hike taxes on. So the Obama administration is asking a U.S. company to compete with a foreign company for a U.S. defense contract while he is raising prices through tax increases on the U.S. company’s products and the foreign country is exempting their companies from paying any taxes at all.We are becoming less competitive in large part because our tax, regulatory and procurement policies stack the decks against American companies and American workers.It is no wonder every one of Obama’s economic advisers is scratching his head trying to figure out how to get the economy moving again and create jobs.Hmmmm......If he really wanted to destroy America as a superpower .....would he do anything different?Read the full story here.
- White House feeds off protest anger.(FT).By Richard McGregor.. Mr Obama said people were angry because Wall Street had not been “following the rules”. His vice-president even compared the movement on Thursday to the Tea Party, the conservative movement which has upended national politics in the past two years.“The core [of the protest] is: the bargain has been breached. The American people do not think the system is fair, or on the level,” Mr Biden said.Underlying the protests, and the administration’s response, is the stubbornly stagnant economy that continues to sap voter confidence and challenge politicians.Read the full story here.Here.
- Canada: Man With Ties to Blacklisted Iranian Bank, Lives the ‘High Life’.(Vinienco).An Iranian banker who resigned and fled to Toronto amid a multi-billion dollar embezzlement scandal also has ties to a bank blacklisted by the UN Security Council, which alleges the bank has financed Iran’s nuclear missile activities.Iranian-Canadian Mahmoud Reza Khavari is a former top official and board member at Bank Sepah, according to his resume. The Iranian bank was blacklisted by the UN in 2007 for allegedly providing support to the country’s Aerospace Industries Organization and other firms known to help spread weapons of mass destruction.If Khavari were on American soil, he could, under that country’s domestic law, be arrested and questioned about his leadership role at the bank, according to a former U.S. Treasury Department official.Here in Canada, the scandal-plagued banker has owned property for at least a decade and is now believed to be staying at his $3 million home in the affluent Bridle Path neighborhood.Bank Sepah is not named on Canada’s domestic blacklist, but Bank Melli — the state-owned financial institution Khavari was managing director of until last week — is listed as an organization that could or does contribute to Iran’s nuclear activities.Canadian officials are not commenting on the issue.Khavari resigned from his post at Bank Melli and fled Iran amid allegations by Iranian officials that he played a key role in what is described as the largest embezzlement in the country’s history. No charges have been laid against Khavari, but prosecutors are seeking to question him about his involvement.Bank Sepah was blacklisted by the U.S. government in 2007 for allegedly being the “financial linchpin” of Iran’s missile procurement network. The bank’s U.S. assets were frozen and the American government made it illegal for its citizens to do business with Bank Sepah.“Under U.S. law, doing business with Banks Sepah and Melli is akin to doing business with Osama bin Laden, or any other recognized terrorist organization,” said Avi Jorisch, a former policy adviser with the U.S. Treasury Department’s office of Terrorism and Financial Intelligence.“If he was here in the United States, the government would have full authority to arrest Mr. Khavari for his leadership role at two financial institutions that have been blacklisted for proliferating weapons of mass destruction and facilitating terrorism,” said Jorisch, who founded the Red Cell Intelligence Group, a consulting and training firm that specializes in national security issues.U.S. officials have said that since at least 2000, Bank Sepah had been providing a variety of critical financial services to Iran’s missile industry.Khavari was chairman of Bank Sepah’s board of directors from December 2003 until at least March 2005 and held a variety of other roles prior to that, according to the bank’s annual reports and his resume.Payam Akhavan, professor of law at McGill University and an expert on his native Iran, said it is a security concern when people with ties to blacklisted banks want to come to Canada.“For several years we have expressed concerns to the government about the presence and influence of Iranian officials, many of whom like to make Canada their home,” Akhavan said.“My fear is that this discovery is only the tip of the iceberg. Do we want Canada to become known as the investment destination of corrupt and abusive regimes like Iran?”Khavari flew to Canada last week after resigning from his post at Bank Melli, Iran’s largest state-owned bank.In his resignation letter, Khavari, who had been with the bank since 2009, blamed another bank as the source of the fraud and said he resigned “to respect public opinion,” according to the state-run Mehr News Agency.A statement released by Bank Melli said Khavari would be in Canada for one day on business and was expected back in Iran last Thursday. Mehr reported that he did not arrive on his scheduled flight.Toronto property records in Khavari’s name date back to 2001, when he took out a mortgage for a $615,000 property on Elmwood Ave., in North York, with his spouse. At one time, Khavari owned a Toronto-based company called Soaring Properties, formerly known as Soaring Travel.A Bridle Path house on Suncrest Dr. is still registered in Khavari’s name and was bought for $2.93 million in 2007.A man wearing a tie and jacket sat in a car parked outside the house on Wednesday, blocking the entrance to the driveway. He said Khavari was unlikely to speak about the embezzlement allegations or his involvement with Bank Sepah. The banker did not respond to repeated messages left at the house.The Canadian government has no extradition treaty with Iran and cannot legally extradite people who are likely to face the death penalty or torture.“If he goes back to Iran, his life will be in danger,” said Morteza Abdolalian, an Iranian-Canadian blogger and journalist who lives in Oakville.“Whether he was involved in this great embezzlement is in question. He has to come out and speak about the situation. If he doesn’t speak out, it will remain a secret and people will point fingers at him.”Read the full story here.
- Iran tells Turkey to change foreign policy or face trouble.(AlArabiya).A key aide to Iran’s supreme leader said on Saturday Turkey must radically rethink its policies on Syria, the NATO missile shield and promoting Muslim secularism in the Arab world ─ or face trouble from its own people and neighbors.In an interview with the semi-official Mehr news agency, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei’s military adviser described Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan’s invitation to Arab countries to adopt Turkish-style democracy as “unexpected and unimaginable”.Turkey and Iran, the Middle East’s two major non-Arab Muslim states, are vying for influence in the Arab world as it goes through the biggest shake-up since the Ottoman Empire fell, a rivalry that has strained their previously close relations.While cheering crowds greeted Erdogan on his recent tour of North Africa, Tehran accused him of serving U.S. interests by opposing Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s crackdown on street protests and agreeing to NATO’s missile defense.“The behavior of Turkish statesmen towards Syria and Iran is wrong and, I believe, they are acting in line with the goals of America,” Major-General Yahya Rahim-Safavi told Mehr.“If Turkey does not distance itself from this unconventional political behavior it will have both the Turkish people turning away from it domestically and the neighboring countries of Syria, Iraq and Iran (reassessing) their political ties.”Khamenei has dubbed the Arab uprisings an “Islamic awakening”, predicting peoples in the Middle East that have overthrown dictatorial, Western-backed regimes will follow the path Iran took after its 1979 Islamic revolution.The uprisings have been generally secular in nature, analysts say.Erdogan’s advocacy of secular Muslim democracy ─ which he extolled during his tour of Egypt, Tunisia and Libya last month ─ is far from the message the Islamic Republic of Iran wants spread in the region.“I think the Turks are treading a wrong path. It might very well be that the path was set for them by the Americans,” said Rahim-Safavi.“The Turks have so far committed a few strategic wrongs. One was Erdogan’s trip to Egypt and his presentation of the secular model there. This fact was unexpected and unimaginable since the Egyptian people are Muslims.”While Tehran has publicly urged its close ally Syria to listen to people’s legitimate demands, Erdogan has predicted Assad will be ousted “sooner or later” and is set to impose sanctions on Damascus despite a veto on U.N. action by Russia and China.But it is Turkey’s decision to deploy a NATO missile early warning system that has most angered Tehran, which sees this as a U.S. ploy to protect Israel from any counter-attack should the Jewish state target Iran’s nuclear facilities.Rahim-Safavi said trade ties with Turkey ─ which is an importer of Iranian gas and exporter of an array of manufactured goods ─ would be in jeopardy if Ankara does not change tack.“If Turkish political leaders fail to make their foreign policy and ties with Iran clear, they will run into problems. If, as they claim, they intend to raise the volume of contracts with Iran to the $20 billion mark, they will ultimately have to accommodate Iran.”Hmmmm......."Also sprach Khamenei"? Read the full story here.
- Turkey - One transsexual, one woman killed by family in '
DisHonor killing' cases.(NewsAZ).A transexual man and a woman were killed in separate attacks by their relatives on Oct. 7 in the eastern province of Gaziantep and the western province of Manisa, respectively.Ramazan Chetin, 24, was being treated at Gaziantep hospital following injuries he sustained after falling from a high place on Oct. 4 when the murder occurred.Fevzi Chetin, Ramazan’s brother, turned himself in to hospital police after firing three rounds at his brother with a pistol at about 6:45 p.m. Two bullets went through his body, while another bullet went through his head, according to reports.“My brother was engaged in travestism. I killed him,” said Fevzi Chetin, 27. “I cleansed my honor.”Fevzi Chetin was taking special care to stay away from his family, who disapproved of his sexual preference. Chetin left his family home two years ago and had been living alone ever since.Meanwhile, a woman returning from a women’s shelter back to her husband’s home was lethally stabbed by him in Manisa province, according to allegations, while her husband was also wounded in a fire he started.Locals in the area informed fire fighters when they heard a blast and noticed the fumes coming from the house of Ibrahim E., 45, on the ground floor of a three-story building in the Hafsa Sultan neighborhood.When fire fighters and police broke into the house, they found Ibrahim E.’s wife, Shefika E., lying unconscious in the bathtub with a knife in her back.Ibrahim E. was found in another room with burns on his body, as he was reportedly wounded in the fire that officials say he started. The injured husband and wife were taken to the Merkez Efendi State Hospital while the fire in the house was being put out. Shefika E. died on the way to the hospital.Read the full story here.
- Turkey wants Egypt’s gas to bypass Israel.(BikyaMasr).CAIRO: Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan is pushing Egypt to ship natural gas to Europe through the Nabucca Pipeline, a “gas bridge,” via Asia. This access line will directly cut out Israel and Cyprus.Current relations between Turkey and Israel are continuing to worsen, and this change of route of Egypt’s natural gas is seen as another political ploy to disturb the relations between the two countries. Since the overthrow of former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, Turkey continues to work closely with Egypt.Current negotiations have led to acts of outrage and violence such as the attack on the Israeli embassy in Cairo by Egyptian demonstrators.Changing the shipping method of the natural gas is pressuring Israel to focus on developing it’s own natural gas resources.There is speculation that these talks between Egypt and Turkey is Ankara’s way of influencing in favor of the Nabucco Pipeline agreement that was signed in 2009 in Ankara.The Nabucco Pipeline agreement favors Turkey and several other European countries (Austria, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria) in which the countries will receive natural gas supplies from Azerbaijan, Iraq, Turkmenistan and possibly Iran.According to Israel’s Globes financial news site, Erdogan wants to build an energy coalition against natural gas production agreements between Israel and Southern Cyprus.Israel’s Globes article also claims that Egypt has a natural gas pipeline with both Jordan and Syria. This makes extending the Nabucco pipeline network through Turkey, from northern Iraq, and into Europe ending in Vienna Austria.Erdogan states this plan for the Nabucco pipeline will give Turkey more control over a natural gas system putting Turkey in direct competition with Russia’s natural gas business. This agreement is also an answer to Israel’s natural Leviathan gas reserves and those also in Greek Cyprus.At the end of the deal, this will further promote Turkey’s goal of being a connecting, influential power in the region which will potentially now include the energy sector.If Erdogan’s natural gas route through Turkey does not pan out with the Egyptians, Cairo officials may start looking into solar energy projects that potentially have been Plan B for quite some time.Hmmmm......Will Erdogan compensate the financial loss for Egypt?Read the full story here.
- Jaffa synagogue firebombed.(Ynet).A Molotov cocktail was hurled at a Jaffa synagogue Saturday evening, as tensions were rising in the central Israel town after two Arab cemeteries were vandalized over the weekend. The firebomb hit the roof of the synagogue and did not cause significant damage. No injuries were reported in the incident. Police officials arrived at the site and launched an investigation into the attack. Meanwhile, some 150 Jewish and Arab Jaffa residents held an anti-racism rally Saturday night, where speakers issued harsh charges against Israel's government and top leaders. Speaking at the event, Knesset Member Jamal Zahalka (Balad) said: "We accuse the government of Israel."The Arab MK called for imprisoning Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman on charges of incitement. "These little racists who come and spray paint a few slogans are much less dangerous than this dangerous government," he said. "The distance between racist words and acts is horrifically short," Zahalka said, while slamming Shas spiritual leader Rabbi Ovadia Yosef, the settlers, and Lieberman."The little racists who burned the mosque in Tuba Zangaria and attacked the cemeteries in Jaffa have spiritual fathers in the government." Referring to the string of recent attacks on Arab targets, the Balad MK charged that "a Jewish underground" is behind the vandalism spree. Chants at the rally included "Settler, stop now, you already crossed the line" and "Arabs against racism." Earlier, some 25 tombstones were vandalized at two Jaffa cemeteries belonging to Muslims and Christians. The messages “Death to Arabs” and “Price tag” were spray painted on the graves. Police later said that "Death to Russians" was another message painted at the site.President Shimon Peres condemned the vandalism acts at Jaffa’s Christian and Muslim cemeteries, referring to them as “despicable acts that disgrace us and contradict the moral values of Israeli society.”The president urged law enforcement officials to undertake the utmost efforts in order to nab the vandals. Read the full story here.
- Iran to build new advanced fighter jet.(NewsAZ).Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi says the country has launched a new project, intended to design and build a new advanced fighter jet.Brigadier General Vahidi said that Iran has gained considerable experience through the design and mass production of its first home-made Saeqeh (Thunderbolt) and Azarakhsh (Lightening) fighter jets.He made the remarks in Nojeh air base in the city of Hamedan, located 400 kilometers (248 miles) southwest of the Iranian capital Tehran.The Iranian defense minister noted that the design and production of advanced home-made fighter jets reveal the competence of Iran's defense industries and prove the futility of the US-led UN sanctions and additional unilateral sanctions imposed on the Islamic Republic by the US and its European allies.Brigadier General Mohammadreza Karshki said last February that the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force has begun an extensive project to design and build the country's most advanced fighter jet.He added that the Iranian Air Force is cooperating with the nation's Defense Ministry in the project.The Iranian fighter jet is similar to the US-built F/A-18, although its appearance looks similar to F-5E/F Tiger II.The new single-seat bomber has the ability to track down enemy aircraft, engage in combat, target locations on the ground, and carry a load of assorted weapons and ammunition.Iran unveiled its first squadron of Saeqeh fighter-bombers in an air show in September 2010.Read the full story here.
- More than 100,000 protest against Assad during funeral of Kurdish opposition figure.(AlArabiya).More than 100,000 thousand Syrians rallied against the regime of President Bashar al-Assad on Saturday during the funeral of Mishaal Tammo, a Kurdish opposition figure slain the previous day, Abdessalam Othman, of the Kurdish Future Movement in Syria, told Al Arabiya.Othman said security forces in civilian clothing randomly opened fire on demonstrators, killing five and wounding dozens.Earlier, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that more 50,000 people were participating in the Tammo’s funeral.Protesters also took on the streets in the northern eastern cities of Amouda and al-Dirbasiya. In the central city of Homs, roads were blocked to prevent protesters from demonstrating and communication was cut. Gunmen shot dead Tammo on Friday in his home in the east of the country, activists said.Rami Abdel-Rahman, head of the British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said four gunmen entered the house in Qamishli, shooting Tammo dead and wounding his brother, Reuters reported.The opposition Local Coordination Committees said Tammo “was killed on Friday at his home by unidentified men. His son as well as female activist Zahida Rashkilo were wounded.”The official SANA news agency reported “the assassination,” but gave a different account of Tammo’s death. It said he was killed “by gunmen in a black car who fired at his car.”Tammo founded the liberal Kurdish Future Party, which considers the Kurds to be an integral part of Syria.He was a member of the newly formed opposition Syrian National Council (SNC) and had been released recently after spending three and a half years in prison.Tammo’s killing sparked indignation at home and abroad.The United States said Assad’s regime is escalating its tactics against the opposition with bold, daylight attacks on its leaders, while France said it was “shocked” by the news of the murder.“This is a clear escalation of regime tactics,” State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told reporters, referring to reports of Tammo’s murder, as well as the beating on Friday of former MP Riad Seif.Nuland said both opposition leaders were attacked in broad daylight.France condemned the regime’s “brutal violence” in its crackdown on the opposition.“We are shocked by the assassination of opposition figure Mishaal Tammo... and by the attack on opposition figure Riad Seif,” a foreign ministry spokesman said in a statement.Seif, a former lawmaker, had to be given hospital treatment after being beaten outside a mosque in the capital's commercial neighborhood of Medan.Before the news of Tammo’s killing, a prominent Sheikh from the opposition was killed.Hmmmmm......"Reforming"?Read the full story here.
Saturday, October 8, 2011
A rare eight minute film found in the collection of an Amsterdam Jewish family and posted on YouTube by Ya'akov Gross of Israel.
The film, consisting of many clips, was taken after the British capture of Jerusalem in late 1917. It shows the Jewish and Arab markets, the Dome of the Rock, worshippers at the Western Wall, Rachel's Tomb, Jews on their way to the Western Wall (covering their faces lest they be filmed on Shabbat), and much more.
The YouTube contributor, Ya'akov Gross, points out in his comment on YouTube that the British soldier in the film -- note the soldier's leggings, cap and sidearm -- (at 0:50) indicates that the photo was after 1917. Mr. Gross adds that the film shows the Ottoman clock tower at Jaffa Gate that was taken down by the British in 1920.
HT: A Picture A Day.
Video Exposing How ‘Occupy Wall Street’ Was Organized From Day One by SEIU/ACORN Front – The Working Family Party, and How They All Tie to the Obama Administration, DNC, Democratic Socialists of America, Tides and George Soros.
The Left's Economic
Read more at The Blaze…
- Updated !Earthquakes in the last 24 hours in the world seismic activity Tonga 5.8 and Indonesia 5.7 ! More info here.
- Japan : For the most accurate info on the nuclear disaster go to : Paul Langley's Nuclear History Blog.Here.
- The Congressional Budget Office reports that the “American Jobs Act” Would Increase 2012 Deficit By $288 Billion.(WeeklyStandard).The Congressional Budget Office reports that the “American Jobs Act” would make the federal deficit jump $288 billion in 2012. In other words, the 2012 deficit would rise by about twenty-five percent — from $1.2 trillion to $1.5 trillion. The most recent budget fight between Republicans and Democrats resulted in just a $22 billion cut to the 2012 deficit.The CBO predicts that over 10 years the American Jobs Act would raise enough taxes to pay for the short-term stimulus:
CBO estimates that enacting the bill would increase the budget deficit by $288 billion in 2012 and decrease deficits by $3 billion over the 2012–2021 period. That estimated deficit reduction of $3 billion over the coming decade is the net effect of $447 billion in additional spending and tax cuts in titles II through III and $450 billion in additional tax revenue from the offsets specified in title IV.
Congressional Republicans jumped on the new report to criticize the Democrats "spend now, pay later" approach. "So massive spending and deficits for a temporary stimulus bill now, paid for with a permanent tax hike," Minority Leader Mitch McConnell's spokesman Don Stewart wrote in an email to reporters.Read the full story here.
- Homeland Security Moves Forward with ‘Pre-Crime’ Detection.(CNet).An internal U.S. Department of Homeland Security document indicates that a controversial program designed to predict whether a person will commit a crime is already being tested on some members of the public voluntarily, CNET has learned.If this sounds a bit like the Tom Cruise movie called “Minority Report,” or the CBS drama “Person of Interest,” it is. But where “Minority Report” author Philip K. Dick enlisted psychics to predict crimes, DHS is betting on algorithms: it’s building a “prototype screening facility” that it hopes will use factors such as ethnicity, gender, breathing, and heart rate to “detect cues indicative of mal-intent.”FAST is designed to track and monitor, among other inputs, body movements, voice pitch changes, prosody changes (alterations in the rhythm and intonation of speech), eye movements, body heat changes, and breathing patterns. Occupation and age are also considered. A government source told CNET that blink rate and pupil variation are measured too.A field test of FAST has been conducted in at least one undisclosed location in the northeast. “It is not an airport, but it is a large venue that is a suitable substitute for an operational setting,” DHS spokesman John Verrico told Nature.com in May.Although DHS has publicly suggested that FAST could be used at airport checkpoints–the Transportation Security Administration is part of the department, after all–the government appears to have grander ambitions. One internal DHS document (PDF) also obtained by EPIC through the Freedom of Information Act says a mobile version of FAST “could be used at security checkpoints such as border crossings or at large public events such as sporting events or conventions.”Read the full story here.
- Remember Tariq Jahan? 'Hero' father who called for calm after son was mowed down and killed in the riots is charged after alleged road rage attack.(DailyMail).His dignified plea for calm just hours after the death of his son at the height of this summer’s looting was credited with averting a race riot.Tariq Jahan, 46, was praised by police, the Prime Minister and media alike for his decisive intervention in the street where, hours earlier, he had cradled his dying son, Haroon, 21.Even last week he was described as a ‘hero’ by shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper and days ago he was handed a Pride of Britain award by a national newspaper.But Mr Jahan delivered his call for calm while facing charges over an alleged attack which left a man seriously injured, it has emerged.Mr Jahan, who met the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge during their visit to Birmingham after the riots, is said to have punched a man in the face, breaking his jaw, in an alleged road rage incident in July.He was originally arrested on suspicion of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm – which carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment – but now faces the lesser charge of inflicting grievous bodily harm without intent.Mr Jahan’s son and two friends were killed as they tried to defend a petrol station against looters on August 10 in Winson Green.Birmingham was left a tinderbox after it was confirmed that a man arrested on suspicion of murdering the Asians was black.Read the full story here.
- Turkey tells France to confront colonial past first.(HurriyetDaily).Turkey said France should confront its colonial past before giving lessons to others on how to face history, in an angry response today to a call by President Nicolas Sarkozy for Ankara to recognize the 1915 massacre of Armenians as genocide. Sarkozy, in Armenia on Thursday, challenged Turkey -- which is seeking membership of the European Union -- to face up to its past and threatened to pass a law in France that would make denying the genocide a crime.Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu told a news conference: "Those who will not be able to face their own history for having carried out colonialism for centuries, for treating foreigners as second-class people, do not have the right to teach Turkey a history lesson or call for Turkey to face its history."Davutoğlu said Turkey and Armenia were working together on ways to normalise ties and Sarkozy's comments would have a negative impact on reconciliation efforts.Armenia and Turkey, with the endorsement of the United States, the European Union and Russia, had agreed in 2009 to establish diplomatic ties and open their common border within two months of parliamentary approval.Sarkozy's remarks has fueled a response from Turkey's European Affairs Minister Egemen Bağış as well, who stated earlier today that the French president should abandon "the role of historian and put his mind to getting his country out of the economic gulf in which it finds itself."Hmmmm......Erdogan "Muslims don't commit Genocide".Read the full story here.
- Warning over France's Islamic suburbs which are becoming 'separate communities in a divided nation'.(DailyMail). France's run-down city suburbs are becoming ‘separate Islamic societies’ cut off from the state, a report has warned.Arab communities are increasingly rejecting French values and identity to immerse themselves in Muslim culture and lifestyle, it was found.Muslim pupils often boycott school dinners if the food is not halal and most Arabs oppose marriages to white French citizens, the study by respected political scientist Gilles Kepel revealed. As a result, France – whose five million Muslims make up Europe’s largest Islamic population – was turning into a ‘divided nation’, the study called Suburbs of the Republic found.Dr Kepel wrote: ‘In some areas, a third of the population of the town does not hold French nationality, and many residents are drawn to an Islamic identity rather than simply rejecting or failing to find a secular one.‘French schools, which are rigorously non-religious, have traditionally been seen as having the role of training young citizens of the republic. But local officials say Islamic pupils are heading home for a halal lunch.‘Most people in France do not object to mixed marriages, but in the suburbs we were surprised to find a very large proportion of Muslim respondents said they were opposed to marriages with non-Muslims.’The study was commissioned by the Institut Montaigne think-tank. It will make recommendations to the government in January.Hmmm......Michel Sardou got it right:"Ne m'appelez plus jamais France, La France elle m'a laissé tomber".Read the full story here.
- 'Abbas To Council of Europe: Palestinians Cannot Recognize Jewish State.(Memri).Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud 'Abbas said in a speech to a parliamentary assembly of the Council of Europe that the demand for recognition of a Jewish state is a precondition for negotiations that the Palestinians cannot accept, because it could lead to a destructive religious struggle in the region, could endanger the1.25 million Palestinians who are Israeli citizens, and could abolish the refugees' rights. He accused Israel of ethnic cleansing in eastern Jerusalem and of conducting excavations that endanger the holy places, and said that Jerusalem will be a city open to all religions, with its eastern part the capital of Palestine and its western part the capital of Israel. He stressed that what is Arab will remain Arab, and what is Jewish will remain with them, and stated that he had reached an understanding with then-prime minister Ehud Olmert on this issue.Read the full story here.
- Hamas Official: 'If Only We Had Now 10 Martyrs'.(Memri).Hamas official Khalil Al-Haya has expressed the wish, "if only we had now 10 martyrs to carry out martyrdom operations." He added that this did not exist at the moment due to the security coordination. He denied that Hamas intended to move from Damascus to Tehran or Amman, and added that while Hamas believed that Palestine from the sea to the river was an Islamic Waqf that would be restored by means of the resistance, but that it would agree to a Palestinian state with the promise of a right of return and with granting a long-term hudna to the Zionist enterprise but without recognition of Israel's legitimacy.Read the full story here.
- Russia: Ex-Porn Star Receives Major Award at Muslim Film Festival.(RT).The Muslim Film Festival that took place in the Russian city of Kazan in September has ended up in a sex scandal. The issue related to a former porn actress who was awarded at the festival.The scandal allegedly emerged at the suggestion of the Tatarstan Muslims Spiritual leader Ildus Faizov. The Islamic activist addressed The Culture Ministry, roundly criticizing the festival. He noted his major disappointment in the choice of the Grand Prix winner. The award-winning German actress Sibel Kekilli is known for criticizing Islam and having starred in several porn films in the past. According to Faizov, Kekilli openly has stated her negative attitude to Islam, accusing the religion of including violence as one of its integral parts.Sibel Kekilli was named Best Actress for her role in German drama When We Leave. However, her name was not even mentioned on the festival’s website."Invited to the festival were figures of culture whose work does not have anything in common with the main idea of Muslim festival and contradicts generally accepted moral norms and Islam morality," the mufti said in his letter to the republican Culture Ministry cited on Friday by the Nezavisimaya Gazeta.According to Faizov, handing the award discredits both the muftiate and all Muslims of the republic.Deputy of Tatarstan Culture Minister Guzel Nigmatullina said the Board consulted organizers of the festival on all religious questions. However, Faizov refuted the official's statement saying that no consultations with spiritual leaders had taken place. The edition notes that Islam clergy of the republic has an opinion that awarding former porno actress with the prize and attempts to link contest choice with Islam clergy is an action aimed at discrediting Faizov known for his efforts to clear Tatar umma from radicals. Read the full story here and here.
- LIVING AT GROUND ZERO!By Allan Thompson -Toronto Star Staff Reporter.In a remote corner of Kazakstan, people were deliberately exposed to nuclear bomb tests.SEMIPALATINSK, Kazakstan - NADEZHDA LISOVETS was milking one of her cows when the earth trembled so violently that the frightened animals tried to run away. ``It was like an earthquake,'' Lisovets said, shaking her hospital bed with her hands to mimic the impact of one of the explosions at the Soviet nuclear testing site near her village of Buras, in northeastern Kazakstan. Between 1949 and 1989, nearly 500 nuclear tests were conducted at the so-called Polygon testing site on the rolling steppe near Semipalatinsk. As many as 166 of the blasts were above ground. ``They would happen on weekends. One Sunday, everything in the house shook. I had to grab the sideboard to keep the dishes from falling off and the table was shaking,'' Lisovets said. ``Nobody told us this could cause us any damage. But I know now the explosions were connected with my problems. I try not to think about it,'' Lisovets said, her eyes welling with tears. She closed her gown, reflexively trying to hide the fact that one of her breasts have been removed. Lisovets is dying of advanced breast cancer. She is one of tens of thousands of victims of radiation in a region plagued by abnormally high rates of birth defects, cancer, blood disease, immune deficiency, mental disability, suicide and psychological trauma. This is the place where the Cold War never ended. But, unlike Chernobyl, this was no nuclear accident. There is compelling evidence that Soviet authorities were aware, as early as the late 1950s, of the devastating impact of radiation on the local population. Top secret documents show the Soviet military deliberately used villagers as guinea pigs to gauge the potential impact of nuclear war. ``There's no place in the world that has inherited or suffered that kind of man-made disaster over a sustained period of time, affecting generations of people,'' said Herbert Behrstock, the United Nations' top representative in Kazakstan. ``People don't realize the magnitude of this and the continuing intensity,'' Behrstock said. The U.N. General Assembly in October called for a $43 million international aid package for the devastated communities around Semipalatinsk. Kazakstan, which closed the test site in 1991 shortly after gaining independence, is desperately poor despite its mineral wealth. The government has done little for victims of radiation. Authorities estimate more than 1.2 million people were adversely affected by nuclear testing. About 67,000 people who lived in villages located within 100 kilometres of the test site at the time of the explosions received the highest doses of radiation. They have passed the genetic defects on to offspring. By 1989, when testing ended and KGB officials were frantically destroying documents, Gusev was determined to safeguard as much of the historical record as possible. He took three sacks of records earmarked for incineration and hid them in a closet in a relative's home. He then filled the empty sacks with magazines and newspapers, which he took to the incinerator. He gave a list of the ``destroyed'' documents to Soviet authorities. After analyzing the documents, Gusev concluded the Soviet military deliberately staged as many explosions as possible during bad weather, when skies were overcast, increasing radioactive fallout by up to 20 times. ``Why couldn't they just wait a day or two, until the skies were clear and the fallout would be less?'' Gusev asks. ``Because they wanted to see what the effect of the explosion would be on a real population. ``It was a crime against humanity,'' Gusev said. The legacy of the tests is clear at the Semipalatinsk cancer hospital, where Lisovets came for her breast cancer operation. One-third of patients show up for treatment when they are beyond help; many cancer victims never bother coming to hospital at all. Toleubek Ukbenov, director of the Centre for Psychiatric Health in Semipalatinsk said the region suffers from abnormally high rates of mental disability at birth, various neuroses and suicide. ``It's not a very scientific observation, but too often we see the closing of one cemetery and the opening of a new one,'' Ukbenov said. ``These days, we're surprised when someone dies of old age.''Read the full story here.