Monday, September 26, 2011
- Updated !Earthquakes in the last 24 hours in the world seismic activity in Canada 5.3 , The Solomon Islands 5.2 and Tonga 5.1 ! More info here.
- Japan : For the most accurate info on the nuclear disaster go to : Paul Langley's Nuclear History Blog.Here.
- Geithner Plan for Europe is last chance to avoid global catastrophe.(Telegraph).By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard.The threat of cascading default, bank runs, and catastrophic risk must be taken off the table," said US Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner over the weekend."Sovereign and banking stresses in Europe are the most serious risk now confronting the world economy. Decisions cannot wait until the crisis gets more severe."Euroland's dysfunctional arrangements are no longer a local affair. As the European Central Bank's Jean-Claude Trichet said in Washington, EMU is at the epicentre of a global sovereign debt crisis that risks engulfing all, and is more intractable than 2008 because governments themselves are now crippled.China, India, Brazil and the world's rising powers will not escape lightly this time if leaders let events spiral out of control. European banks have lent $3.4 trillion to emerging markets (BIS data), or three quarters of external loans to these countries.The International Monetary Fund warned last week that emerging markets face the risk of "sharp reversals" or even a "sudden stop" if there is further spill-over from Europe. This comes at a time when Asia and parts of Latin America are already in the topping phase of a credit boom, one of epic proportions in China where loans have doubled to almost 200pc of GDP over the last five years.Warning signs have been flashing red for the last three weeks. Shares of China's top property developer Greentown have crashed by a third this month. The currencies of Indonesia, Brazil, Korea, South Africa, and Hungary have all buckled, and central banks have begun intervening to stop the slide. "A continued flight from risk raises the growing possibility of investor capitulation in emerging markets," said Neil Mellor from BNY Mellon.The reserve powers would be well advised to pull out all the stops to save Europe and its banking system. Together they hold $10 trillion in foreign bonds. If they agreed to rotate just 4pc of these holdings ($400bn) into Spanish, Italian, and Belgian debt over the next two years, they could offer a soothing balm. None has yet risen to the challenge. It is `sauve qui peut', with no evidence of G20 leadership in sight.Once again, the US has had to take charge. The multi-trillion package now taking shape for Euroland was largely concocted in Washington, in cahoots with the European Commission, and is being imposed on Germany by the full force of American diplomacy.It is an ugly and twisted set of proposals, devised to accommodate Berlin's refusal to accept fiscal union, Eurobonds, and an EU treasury. But at least it is big.The EU's €440bn bail-out fund (EFSF) will be "leveraged" from €440bn to €2 trillion to cope with Italy and Spain. The fund will assume an "equity" stake of 20pc or so in holdings of EMU debt, supported by loans of 80pc from the European Central Bank.Commercial banks that cannot raise money from Mid-East wealth funds will be seized by the state, partly or fully, or be recapitalized by the EFSF. This should leave them strong enough to absorb a 50pc default imposed on Greece, and potential knock-on defaults in Portugal and Ireland.Or at least, that is the idea. We will see how the Bundestag reacts this week. It has not even voted on the July deal to boost the powers of the EFSF, itself a furiously contested plan that may provoke a 30-strong rebellion within Chancellor Angela Merkel's own coalition. German lawmakers now learn that implicit liabilities may be five times as big."We should not think of leveraging a public pot of funds as a free lunch," said Ireland's central bank governor Patrick Honohan. Indeed not. The details of this financial engineering have a familiar ring to those who remember the `CDOs' and other instruments of structured disguise before the subprime debacle. The bill comes due.We will see too whether France is willing to swallow national pride and confront its own financial elite. Christian Noyer, the Bank of France's governor, denied on Sunday that French officials were mulling a capital injection of up to €15bn to beef up banks.Read the full story here.
- Obama’s Unpresidential Contempt for the GOP.(WHD).The president is president of all of us. Not just the Democratic Party. Even during a campaign.It’s one thing to lambaste your opponents and their ideas. But the president of the United States should not be describing the other Party as un-American. It’s worse than sordid, divisive politics. It’s an ignominious, even somewhat frightening thing for a president to do, and it demonstrates a real ignorance on the part of Obama about the Constitutional role of his position.Let’s look at what he said last night at a fundraiser in San Jose, California.Some of you here may be folks who actually used to be Republicans but are puzzled by what’s happened to that party, are puzzled by what’s happening to that party. I mean, has anybody been watching the debates lately?You’ve got a governor whose state is on fire denying climate change,” he said, to applause. “It’s true. You’ve got audiences cheering at the prospect of somebody dying because they don’t have health care and booing a service member in Iraq because they’re gay. That’s not reflective of who we are . . .This is a choice about the fundamental direction of our country — 2008 was an important election; 2012 is a more important election.The key phrase above is “That’s not reflective of who we are.” As he has before – most notably in describing the budget by Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.) that was adopted by the House – Obama is suggesting that his opposition is un-American.He’s vilifying an entire Party with a couple of extreme examples.How dangerous for a president to think his values are America’s.Hmmmmm......"Come to the Dark side?"Read the full story here.
- Obama Is Dangerous for Peace.(AT).By James Lewis.The president of the United States has just destroyed the longest-lasting peace treaty in the Middle East. That Nobel Prize-winning treaty between Egypt and Israel was destroyed by Obama in broad daylight, right in front of God and everybody, with stunning audacity.The White House kept repeating the message that Mubarak must resign, and "now means now." This is simply unprecedented, even during the height of the Cold War. American presidents don't demand in public that their crucial allies resign. It is a diplomatic insult of unprecedented proportions.
And yet -- Obama said nothing when Iran's genocide-threatening regime killed and tortured thousands of demonstrators at the start of Obama's administration. He has said nothing about Syria's Assad sending tanks to fire on rebels in the city of Homs. He said nothing when the Saudis sent troops into Bahrain to violently suppress protests. Indeed, the White House has actively aided repression by regimes much worse than Mubarak was -- regimes in Yemen, Somalia, and Iran.
So what's going on? Was it just another opportunistic chance for Obama to parade his overweening ego? Or was it more sinister?Mubarak was the thirty-year strongman who preserved the single biggest pillar of Middle East peace, the Egypt-Israel peace treaty. USA Today predicted that the peace treaty was in danger when Mubarak fell. Everybody knew. The Israelis kept telling Obama, and the Egyptians and Saudis must have done that as well. The Saudis, who are now facing a nuclear Iran fifty miles away, are walking away from their decades-long alliance with the United States. Nobody trusts American guarantees anymore.
Obama did it, knowing that the Arab world would break down into near-universal civil war. The so-called "Arab Spring" is a fraud. What we are seeing is an "Pan-Arab Civil War," from Tunisia to Yemen. Every country is in deep trouble, and Prof. Niall Ferguson, who has been warning about this catastrophe all along, now believes that famine and social warfare will come to Egypt and the others. They can no longer pay for the massive food imports they need to survive. Local capital has fled to safer places.
The Middle East has been "community disorganized." This is straight out of Saul Alinsky: community agitators destabilize communities so that they can push the remnants into whatever shape they want. The people who die are just too bad.This is so shocking, and so contrary to Obama's "peace" rhetoric, that few Americans can believe their own eyes, seeing that the biggest pillar of Middle East peace has been smashed right before them. This can only be a knowing move on the part of the Obama administration. Everybody who remembered the Egypt-Israel Peace Treaty had to know.
Obama has now demanded that Israel retreat to its 1949 ceasefire lines --- which he lied about as the "1967 borders." Those 1949 lines would set Israel back to three large wars ago. It would turn Israel into one of those famous gerrymandered districts that look like a wriggling salamander.Those borders are indefensible, and they therefore would drive Israel into its ultimate defensive weapon: nuclear war. The radical leftist fantasy of threatening Israel with destruction runs into that brute fact: with its back to the wall, Israel would use nukes in self-defense. You cannot drive a nuclear power into a corner without it resorting to war.
The overthrow of Mubarak has destabilized the entire Middle East. Indeed, this Pan-Arab Civil War has already taken more lives than the Japanese tsunami...and it threatens to get worse. After half a century of warm and friendly relations, Turkey is now threatening naval war against Israel in the eastern Mediterranean.This is exactly how Iran fell back into its medieval tyranny in Jimmy Carter's time -- and don't doubt that that calamity was triggered by Carter and his NSC henchman Zbigniew Brzezinski. A million people died in the Iran-Iraq war that followed the radicalization of Iran. Thousands of innocent Green Revolution demonstrators are still dying today in the regime's horrific prisons and torture chambers.
The U.S. Sixth Fleet has kept the peace in the Mediterranean for sixty years. When the Sixth Fleet was doing its job, no American ally like Turkey would ever have threatened naval war against another ally like Greece or Israel. Turkey has warships, but nothing compared to the Sixth Fleet. It therefore follows that Obama is not allowing the USN to interfere with the Turkish naval threat.For thirty years the Egypt-Israeli Peace Treaty sustained the fragile peace in the Middle East. Everything positive in Arab-Israeli relations was based on it. Stable relations between Israel and Egypt, Turkey, Iran, Lebanon, Jordan, and even Syria were all based on that solid-looking Egypt-Israel Peace Treaty.
Then Mr. Obama tore it all down, right in front of our eyes.Israel is now surrounded by countries that used to be at peace, but which are now talking war. They are armed with high-tech missiles: tens of thousands of scud missiles in Syria; forty thousand missiles of various types in Lebanon controlled by Hezbollah, and therefore by Iran; thousands of Grad and more primitive missiles in Gaza. If the PA declares a state, it will try to import even more offensive missiles, just like Hamas did in Gaza.Finally, Iran now has IRBMs and the first ICBMs with nuclear weapons coming soon, which can easily strike Israel -- but Iran can also strike U.S. military bases and naval vessels within a radius of 1,000 miles and more, not to mention the nations of southern and eastern Europe. Once developed, Iranian ICBMs can reach the United States, China, and Russia.The President of the United States has therefore destabilized the Middle East in the most dangerous way, and he has done so in broad daylight. And yes, people are already dying in the tens of thousands -- so far, 90 percent Muslims. But others may start dying soon.Even now, American armed forces are in secret combat in Yemen, Libya, and Somalia, and elsewhere, to keep things from completely falling apart. U.S. soldiers are facing daily death to keep Obama's China shop from shattering.Obama knows that he's pulled the rug out, and U.S. forces are now engaged in unknown numbers of Muslim countries to try to shape the outcome.And yet America's political pundits have watched it happen, and they mostly have kept silent as the grave. Nobody wants to say out loud what's obvious. That is the power of audacity. Obama's overthrow of Middle East peace is so shocking that no pundit even wants to call it what it is. American Jews has been silent. The left and Europe are pretending it didn't happen. The "neocons" are silent so far. (But Michael Ledeen is writing a Broadsides book about it.)This is the biggest news not fit to print in the New York Times. It's the biggest public secret in the world. But open your eyes, and you'll see it.Any sane observer has to wonder why the president did that. The pillar of Middle East peace, what there was of it, is now weakened, maybe fatally. It has to come from the combatants. It took three major wars to bring about that treaty.After Sadat was assassinated, his vice president, Hosni Mubarak, took over instead, and kept the peace with Israel intact for thirty years. Israel ceded the entire Sinai Desert to Egypt in return for that peace -- the biggest piece of land ever at stake in Arab-Israeli struggles. The Sinai is a huge land buffer, and when you're at war with a neighbor, you want to have plenty of land between you and your enemies. So Israel traded land for peace.Obama has "community disorganized" the Middle East, and he did it knowing what would happen. If you think our other at-risk allies aren't watching -- Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, India, Saudi Arabia, Poland -- well, think again. If the United States stabs Egypt and Israel in the back, all the others are looking for safety. The Saudis are getting their own nukes. So will Japan and South Korea. Poland has signed a local self-defense treaty with former Soviet colonies.
So much for Obama, the Prince of Peace and Compassion, not the mention the Messiah of Hope and Progress. V.I. Lenin famously said that things have to get worse before they can get better. The only trouble is that Lenin only made things worse. That is why the Soviet Union gave up seventy miserable years after Lenin.This is the biggest foreign policy gamble by any American president, ever.Obama is dangerous for peace.Source here.
- "Lord Forgive them?"Obama asks CBC for Biblical faith in his agenda.(WE).President Obama made an appeal to the religious faith of black voters at a Congressional Black Caucus rally, likening Biblical prophets who had faith in God -- and so refused to worship an idol -- to the black voters who "keep the faith" by supporting him and his policies - and, he hopes, his reelection campaign.Obama opened the speech by mentioning the Biblical story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, three captive Jews who were thrown into a fiery furnace because they would not worship a golden idol. Obama quoted a pastor who referred to the three men as "good crazy" for having that faith. He added that the pastor had attributed the same "good crazy" to him when he decided to run for president.Obama continued that analogy, equating the Jews' "faith in the things not seen" to the more mundane "belief that if you persevere a better day lies ahead."Obama added, "you and me, we're all a little bit crazy, but hopefully a good kind of crazy...We’re a good kind of crazy because no matter how hard things get, we keep the faith; we keep fighting; we keep moving forward."Obama then explained how he had "kept the faith" through various acts as president -- by responding to the economic crisis with the Dodd-Frank Wall Street regulations bill, through certain tax credits he had passed and through Obamacare. He finished with a plug for the American Jobs Act.The only "kind of crazy" on display in this speech is the one that says faith in Obama's policies is kind of like faith in God.Hmmmmm....."Beware of false prophets".A Pastor......Might that be Jeremiah Wright?Read the full story here.
- Sen. Mike Lee Is Right to Ask: Is Google a Problem?(BigGovernment).To many conservatives, it may seem surprising that Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) would echo antitrust concerns in his aggressive questioning of Google Chairman Eric Schmidt during this week’s hearing of the Senate Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights. Isn’t that more of a lefty thing? Well, yes and no. The left indeed tends to be altogether too, er, liberal in its use of anti-trust laws to control big business. But conservatives also need to guard America against bad policies and domineering, unfair businesses practices that distort markets and ultimately punish consumers. I believe this is where Sen. Lee was coming from in his line of argument against Schmidt.Antitrust aside, Google has danced very close to the line in terms of profiting from other companies’ property rights, for example. In the eyes of many experts, Google also has violated consumer privacy. It has heavily influenced public policy to protect and enhance its bottom line at the expense of other companies. Surely it’s worth asking if Google’s business, lobbying and legal strategies pose threats free enterprise.As Lee put it, “Whether or not Google formally qualifies as a monopoly under our antitrust laws, one thing is clear. Given its significant ability to steer e-commerce and the flow of online information, Google is in a position to help determine who will succeed and who will fail on the Internet.” American’s have a right to be concerned about the implications of Lee’s observation.I do not begrudge Google its success. It is an amazing company with a superior search offering and a clever business model. At the same time, Google has built its market dominance and cash position, at least in part, by appropriating, some might say misappropriating, the copyrighted content of others. For instance, Google “scrapes” content from other websites and sells advertising based on that scraped content. Google has also become dominant on mobile phones with its Android operating system, which arguably uses patented technology owned by other companies. Google has also played fast and loose with trademark protection—selling ads around other companies’ trademarks.Most notoriously, Google generated significant revenue from illegal pharmaceutical advertising—a practice to which it admitted and forfeited $500 million to avoid prosecution.Finally, Google is altogether too close to liberal politicians and political causes for my personal tastes. There is no crime in that, to be sure. But we need look no further than the front page headlines regarding the Solyndra scandal to know that when politicians and crony capitalists become too familiar, we the people are the victims.There is no doubt that we should be skeptical of antitrust enforcement and other marketplace regulation, for that matter. But faulting Lee for speaking out against Google is misguided. We should not fault the messenger, but instead examine the clear message. No entity—government or corporation—should be in a position to threaten free enterprise or property rights. It is altogether appropriate for elected leaders to ask questions.Read the full story here.
- Do Liberals Care About Palestinian Racism and Anti-Semitism?(Challah Hu Akbar).The Palestinian cause is increasingly supported by western "progressives" who also claim to be champions for tolerance, pluralism, and minority rights. In order to advocate for the Palestinians, progressives have been too willing to ignore the basic and unfortunate fact that racism, homophobia, xenophobia, and anti-Semitism are widespread and accepted in Palestinian society. Below are some images that you won't see -- or even hear about -- in left-wing advocacy for the Palestinians. The restrictions of my blog format do not permit me to share the multiple of visuals found in this original article. Therefore, I ask that you click here in order to view what so many of us have written about, visually presented and told you all about over the last many years. I do challenge those of you who described yourselves as liberals, progressives, independents to examine the images and honestly ask yourself am I willing to let the possibility enter my head, my mind, that those of us who describe ourselves differently might not be incorrect, evil or full of sh.. as I have been told so often. I challenge your sense of fairness, propriety and intelligence to begin to understand the nastiness that we live near every day here in Israel-thank you. For those who are in our camp so to speak, please share this with those who should finally see.Read and see the full story here.
- Related - Major Anti-Semitic Motifs in Arab Cartoons.Interview with Joël Kotek.Read and see the full story here.
- ‘Massive Jobs Shortfall’ Predicted for Global Economy, risk of the number doubling by the end of next year.(TheGuardian).The world's major economies are heading for a "massive jobs shortfall" by the end of next year if governments do not change their tack on policy, the International Labour Organisation (ILO) said in a study published on Monday.In the report, prepared with the OECD for G20 labour ministers meeting in Paris on Monday, the ILO said the group of developing and developed nations had seen 20m jobs disappear since the financial crisis in 2008.At current rates it would be impossible to recover them in the near term and there was a risk of the number doubling by the end of next year, it said."We must act now to reverse the slowdown in employment growth and make up for the jobs lost," ILO director general Juan Somavia said in a statement."Employment creation has to become a top macroeconomic priority."The number of people in work in the G20 has risen by 1% since 2010, but 1.3% annual growth is needed to return to pre-crisis employment levels by 2015, the ILO said."However, employment growth of less than 1% cannot be excluded given the slowdown of the world economy and the anaemic growth foreseen in several G20 countries," the report said. "Should employment grow at a rate of 0.8% until end 2012, now a distinct possibility, then the shortfall in employment would increase by some 20m to a total of 40m in G20 countries."Read the full story here.
- The Federal Reserve Plans to Identify “Key Bloggers” and Monitor Billions of Conversations About the Fed on Facebook, Twitter, Forums and Blogs.(Cryptogon).Is there are Federal Reserve link for this document?Here’s the document that ZeroHedge has produced:
Request for Proposal (Event-6994)Event Information
Federal Reserve Bank of New York (“FRBNY”) is extending to suppliers an invitation to participate in an Sentiment Analysis And Social Media Monitoring Solution RFP bid process. The intent is to establish a fair andequitable partnership with a market leader who will who gather data from various social media outlets and newssources and provide applicable reporting to FRBNY. This Request for Proposal (“RFP”) was created in an effort tosupport FRBNY’s Social Media Listening Platforms initiative.The Federal Reserve Bank of New York intends to listen in on “billions of conversations” and to actually determine the “sentiment” of those that are participating in those conversations.
Of course it will be those conversations that are “negative” about the Federal Reserve that will be setting off the alarm bells.“Identify and reach out to key bloggers and influencers”Uh oh. So they plan to “identify” key bloggers and influencers?What exactly do they plan to do once they “identify” them?“The solution must be able to gather data from the primary social media platforms –Facebook, Twitter, Blogs, Forums and YouTube.”Hmmmm......"FinanceWatch"?Read the full story here.
- US net neutrality rules finalized, in effect November 20.(ArsTechnica). Get ready, America—net neutrality finally comes to the Internet on November 20, 2011.That's the plan, at least. The FCC has just filed its final "open Internet" rules (PDF) with the Federal Register, which will publish them tomorrow and make them official. The rules go into effect on November 20, nearly a year after they were passed over Republican opposition on a 3-2 vote. (One of the FCC Commissioners who voted against the rules now works for Comcast.)But the plan will likely be derailed by lawsuits. Two, by Verizon and MetroPCS, were filed earlier this year but tossed because the rules had yet to be finalized. With tomorrow's printing in the Federal Register, the litigation floodgates will be thrown open and and complaints about the government overstepping its authority can start pouring in.Those complaints might well meet with success, given how the FCC went about the whole process. Rather than reclassifying broadband services in such a way that the FCC has clear jurisdiction over them, the agency relied instead on its much weaker "ancillary jurisdiction." (The legal rationale for this begins on p. 77 of the final rules, and the FCC gamely makes a case that it has the proper authority.) As law professor James Grimmelmann noted today in our subscriber-only webchat, "The FCC is in a real tangle here. I think if they reclassified broadband service (long story), they'd have a better shot at getting their rules to stick."Read the full story here.
- 'King' Obama sidesteps Congress again.US-Turkey agree on delivery schedule for Predators.(TodaysZaman).Turkey is expecting the delivery of Predators in June 2012, the Turkish defense minister said a day after the country's prime minister announced that Turkey has agreed with the US on a deal involving the transfer of US-engineered unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) that could prove crucial in combating terrorism.“We have agreed in principle [on the delivery of Predators]. Negotiations will continue,” Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan was quoted as saying by the Cihan news agency on Saturday in New York, where the Turkish leader was visiting on the occasion of the 66th session of the UN General Assembly. Erdoğan also noted that Turkey had offered to either purchase or lease the drones and that the two countries were still settling the details regarding the delivery of the Predators.Following up on the agreement, Turkish Defense Minister İsmet Yılmaz told reporters on Saturday that the drones to be received from the US would be delivered to the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) in June of next year, reported the Anatolia news agency.“These [Predators] are UAVs with better qualities and features than the Herons,” Yılmaz said, and added that the Turkish-made Anka would also be ready for the TSK around the same time, as an alternative to Israeli-made Herons.Turkey was disappointed by Israel's failure to return six Herons it had sent to the country for maintenance, as it relies heavily on spy aircraft for surveillance missions that gather data on the activities of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) across the country's borders in the Southeast.Yılmaz did not give any details on the number of Predators the US would deliver to Turkey but acknowledged that Ankara had presented a request for the UAVs in line with the TSK's needs. The minister added that the US and Turkey have been strategic partners and are cooperating in combating terrorism, which necessitated that both “support each other with no conditions or prejudice.”Meanwhile, the domestically made Anka, named after the legendary flying creature of Persian mythology, was brought out of the hangar for the first time in July 2010 and is expected to provide Turkey with a crucial advantage in its fight against PKK terrorism. The Anka is capable of disrupting the electronic ware of enemy aircraft and has made Turkey the third country in the world, after the US and Israel, to engineer UAVs.Hmmmm.....I must have missed when the US Congress approved this?Or else 'King' Obama just 'overruled' Congress again?Read the full story here.
- Story that Facebook’s Charging Users in the future is a Myth.(ALLFaceBook).We can only speculate why there’s been a resurgence of the myth that Facebook will start charging users for the site.This falsehood resurfaced this week, so perhaps people believe that they can pay Facebook to restore their accounts to what they looked like before the news feed got revamped.Some folks may also think that the enhanced functionality of timeline will cost them money.Neither of these are correct, yet panicky posts that Facebook will charge users money continue to proliferate.Hmmm......Mea culpa,mea maxima culpa.Read the full story here.
- US linking Israel's missile shield to Turkey and Saudi Arabia.(IsraelMatzav).It should be interesting to hear what Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has to say about this story.You will recall that on Friday I reported on Eli Lake's Newsweek story that says that the Obama administration sold bunker busters to Israel in 2009.The full story is now out and it includes this little tidbit: The United States is linking the missile defense shields of its Middle East allies - including Israel, Turkey and Saudi Arabia - via the use of x-band radar which the US insists on controlling.Read the full story here.
- Report: Turkey operated agents in Israel to track soldiers.(YNet).Turkish intelligence officials have submitted to the state prosecution a list of 174 Israelis, mostly soldiers, who were involved in the 2010 raid on the Gaza-bound Mavi Marmara ship, the Turkish newspaper Sabah reported Monday. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu tops the list as the "primary responsible party."Turkish newspaper Zaman went a step further and reported on its website that Ankara had also operated intelligence agents inside Israel to confirm the soldiers' identities. The Turkish government denies ever asking its National Intelligence Organization (MIT) to confirm the identities of Israeli commandos involved in the raid. Istanbul's deputy prosecutor said that a lawyer for the IHH submitted a list of soldiers' names to his office and said it will be examined. The Turkel Commission investigating the events of the 2010 raid on the Mavi Marmara has asked the Military Advocate General for materials regarding criminal records opened following the flotilla. It has also requested to view files concerning possible violations of laws of war involving the deaths or injuries of citizens. The materials will be examined by Sukkot. Last month, the Military Advocate General released a report concerning six flotilla events. The Turkel Commission could not rule on the cases. According to the report in the Sabah newspaper, the Israelis were identified from photographs and various media sources."Almost all of the Israeli soldiers who killed nine Turkish citizens and injured 30 others have been identified," the report claimed. It was stated that Israel's government has not responded to the Turkish Justice Ministry's demand to release a list of the individuals who took part in the operation, prompting the intelligence officials to pour over records of the raid. Facebook and Twitter were used later in the hunt for information.The fact-finding team examined the names of the commandos of Shayetet 13 – the Navy unit that took over the Gaza-bound vessel – and matched them up with the numerous photos used in the media. Furthermore, the officials reviewed correspondence written by soldiers whom they believed took part in the raid in order to confirm their participation. Names submitted by the IHH movement, which organized the flotilla, were used in the search as well. According to the report, the Turkish prosecution intends to request the Israeli authorities to verify whether the people on the list, which includes 140 photos of 174 Israelis who directly or indirectly participated in the raid, were indeed ivolved.Officials who allegedly contributed to the decision and issued the order to stop the Mavi Marmara, including Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman and Defense Minister Ehud Barak, made it to the top of the list as well."All of the Israeli Cabinet ministers were responsible for the order," the report read. The list also includes former IDF Chief of Staff Gabi Ashkenazi, former Israel Navy Commander Eliezer Marom, former Military Intelligence chief Amos Yadlin and a variety of other high- and low-ranking officers. Moreover, it includes 10 photographs of soldiers who are yet to be identified.Hmmmmm......What's next?Predator drones to take them out?Read the full story here.
- Abbas Launches 'Palestinian Spring' in Ramallah.(ArutzSheva).Cheered by thousands, Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas was given a hero's welcome Sunday when he returned from his trip to the United Nations.“This is the popular Palestinian Spring,” he declared, calling for the official start of a non-violent intifada against Israel. “Raise your heads with pride; you are Palestinians!” he told the crowd that greeted him in Ramallah. The speech followed his application to the U.N. Security Council on Friday for recognition of the PA as a sovereign state, and its “full membership” in the international body.“The entire free world has accepted your history, your aspirations and your hopes with the utmost respect,” he told the gathering. “We told the world that today there is an Arab Spring – but also a Palestinian Spring. A non-violent Fighting Spring that will reach its goal."“Facing this determination – which I conveyed from you to the world – everyone stood up and appreciated your expectations and aspirations,” he told the cheering crowd. “Our diplomatic move, which has already begun, still has a long way to go,” he warned. “We must know that there will be those who will place obstacles in our path. They will block us and our existence here.”But, he added, “We have emphasized that we wish to obtain our rights via negotiations. The entire world was witness to the civility of this nation, which only demands its rights. We will remain on this land.”The U.N. speech, carefully geared to excite the PA street without inflaming it, was nevertheless seen by many in Israel as an exercise in official, institutional incitement “from the top.” Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman said over the weekend that the PA leader's speech from the podium at the U.N. General Assembly was the “worst example of anti-israel incitement and vitriol” he had ever heard.Throughout his address, Abbas referred to Israel as a “colonial occupying power” and accused the Jewish State of deliberately targeting civilians, arbitrarily destroying crops, and demolishing schools, mosques and hospitals. He demanded that the U.N. recognize Judea, Samaria and major portions of Israel's capital city, Jerusalem, as the PA's hoped-for state and that Israel end all construction in Jewish communities in those areas as a precondition for any talks.Abbas also accused Israel of destroying Islamic holy sites and claimed the IDF sent “attack dogs” against Palestinian Authority Arabs. In addition, he also called for the release of all jailed PA terrorists, including murderers with blood on their hands, whom he referred to as “political prisoners.”During his trip back to Ramallah, Abbas told the London-based Arab daily newspaper a-Sharq al-Awsat that Israel's Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu was the “last” leader with whom he could reach a final status agreement, “since he holds tough and almost ideological positions.”Read the full story here.
- Qaddafi relatives have reportedly left Algeria and are now in Egypt.(AlArabiya).Relatives of Muammar Qaddafi who had crossed into Algeria after Tripoli fell into rebel hands last month are now in Egypt, a day after the Algerian government criticized the release of an audio recording by Qaddafi’s daughter Aisha, an Algerian newspaper reported on Monday.The el-Khabar daily reported that eight of Qaddafi's relatives, possibly including his daughter Aisha, who had crossed into the country on August 29 boarded an Egypt Air plane t Algiers’ Houari Boumediene Airport on Saturday evening.Algeria’s foreign minister, Mourad Medelci, had denounced as "unacceptable" an audio recording by Qaddafi’s daughter criticizing Libya’s National Transitional Council (NTC). Medelci, who was attending the U.N. General Assembly in New York, pledged to “take measures” against Qaddafi’s relatives. Neither Algerian nor Egyptian officials have confirmed the reports. In her first public remarks since the fall of Tripoli a month ago, Aisha Qaddafi accused Libya’s new leaders of being traitors, noting that some of them were members of Qaddafi’s regime before defecting in the civil war.“Those who have betrayed the pledge they offered [to Qaddafi], how come they won’t betray you?” she said in a warning to Libyans.“I assure you, he is fine, a believer in God, in good spirits, is carrying his gun and is fighting side by side with the warriors,” she said.The prerecorded four-minute message was broadcast Friday on the Syrian-based al-Rai TV, which has become Qaddafi’s main mouthpiece. The elder Qaddafi, his chief spokesman, and his son and one-time heir apparent, Seif al-Islam, have also released statements through the channel since the takeover of Tripoli.Read the full story here.
- Syrian tanks pound town near Homs amid increasing numbers of army defectors.(AlArabiya).Syrian tanks pounded a town on a strategic highway overnight, injuring at least three people during a military crackdown on dissent in the central region of Homs, activists and residents said on Monday.Homs has become a major flashpoint between troops loyal to President Bashar al-Assad and army defectors, backing pro-democracy protesters demanding the president's overthrow.Three inhabitants of al-Rastan were injured when pro-Assad forces opened fire with heavy machine guns mounted on the tanks surrounding the town, on the main northern highway leading to Turkey, said residents.“There are around 60 tanks and armored vehicles on the eastern edge of Rastan alone. All communications are cut and the firing is being directed at the street and buildings,” Abu Qassem, a resident of al-Rastan, told Reuters by satellite phone.Activists have reported a military push into towns and villages north of the city of Homs, 165 km (100 miles) north of Damascus, where increasing numbers of defectors have been organizing and mounting guerrilla raids on loyalist posts.Faced with expanding street protests demanding an end to 41 years of Assad family rule, the president has sent troops and tanks into cities and towns across the country.The military crackdown has killed at least 2,700 people, including 100 children, according to the United Nations.Syrian authorities say 700 police and army have been killed during the unrest which they blame on “terrorists” and “mutineers.”Assad has said foreign powers are using the unrest to divide Syria, and added any state would use similar techniques to end a revolt.Homs, together with the northwestern province of Idlib on the border with Turkey, has traditionally provided the bulk of majority Sunni foot soldiers in the military, which is effectively commanded by Assad’s brother Maher and led by officers from Assad’s minority Alawite sect.The two regions have seen some of the biggest street protests against Assad in the last few weeks.Troops earlier stormed the villages of Za’faraneh and Deir al-Jin, between Rastan and the town of Talbiseh to the south, local activists said, adding that there was no immediate information on casualties.Syria’s crackdown protests have sparked international outrage and rebukes from Syria’s powerful northern neighbor Turkey, once among Assad's keenest backers.Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan told CNN in an interview broadcast on Sunday that Bashar will be ousted “sooner or later” by his own people.“You can never remain in power through cruelty. You can never stand before the will of the people,” Erdogan said.Hmmmm......Stronger words are for Israel?"Empty barrels make the most noise"?Read the full story here.
- Pakistani teenage girl expelled from school for blasphemy.(AlArabiya).A Pakistani school expelled a 13-year-old Christian girl for alleged blasphemy and her mother was transferred from her job as a nurse near the town where Osama bin Laden was killed, officials said Monday.The conservative Muslim country has been increasingly criticized in the West for tough anti-blasphemy laws that make defaming Islam punishable by death and over the persecution of the tiny non-Muslim minority.Faryal Tauseef, an eighth grade student at Sir Syed High School in the northwest garrison town of Havelian, was asked with her class to define “naat”, a style of poem written in praise of the Prophet Mohammed.The town is just south of Abbottabad, the garrison city where U.S. special forces killed the al-Qaeda leader in a covert raid on May 2, which exposed the Pakistan military to accusations of incompetence or complicity.“In her explanation Faryal wrote a word which was blasphemous,” school administrator Junaid Sarfraz told AFP.“The girl confessed, saying that she did it by mistake and the school administration, after consulting local clerics, decided to rusticate (expel) her.”According to her teacher, the girl made the mistake “intentionally” and the matter was referred to clerics because she had aroused similar suspicions of blasphemy in the past, Sarfraz added.Faryal’s mother, a staff nurse, had also been transferred out of town, he said.“The girl has been expelled for using derogatory words and her mother has been moved to another place,” district commissioner Syed Imtiaz Hussain Shah told AFP.Police said no case had been registered and that the matter was considered over following a pardon from Muslim clerics.The government says it has no intention of reforming Pakistan’s tough anti-blasphemy law, introduced in 1986, despite the assassinations of a leading politician in January and a Christian cabinet minister in March.Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) member Salman Taseer was killed by his bodyguard and minorities minister Shahbaz Bhatti assassinated en route to a cabinet meeting for their opposition to the law.Taseer had supported a Christian mother of five sentenced to death in November 2010 for alleged blasphemy in the central province of Punjab.Pakistan has yet to execute anyone for blasphemy. Most of those given the death penalty have their sentences overturned or commuted on appeal.Religious parties strongly defend the law.Hmmmmmmm......"Interfaith dialog in it's natural Habitat?"Read the full story here.
- China could open up to Arctic with Iceland deal.(HurriyetDaily).A Chinese businessman’s plans to buy a swathe of Iceland for a resort have sparked local scepticism, amid speculation it is a bid by Beijing to get its hands on Arctic riches.The melting Arctic ice cap means lucrative oil and gas deposits under the seabed could soon become accessible, and shorter shipping routes between Asia and Europe will open up.Observers suggest those prospects may be the real reason behind property tycoon Huang Nubo’s plans to buy 300 square-kilometres (200 square-miles) of Icelandic wildnerness. Huang says he wants to build a luxury resort with a hotel, golf course and sports facilities, and Europe’s biggest nature reserve.The purchase could give China a foothold in the region - enabling it to establish contacts and gather information - before the Arctic treasure chest opens up.“It is likely that the Chinese government will find every way to enhance cooperation at multiple levels ... to lay the groundwork for future involvement in the construction and operation of infrastructural hubs” in the Arctic, Embla Eir Oddsdottir, project manager at The Stefansson Arctic Institute in Iceland, told Agence France-Presse. “The possibility of shipping and transport across the Arctic is very important for China.”With the icecap melting in summertime, the route between the Atlantic and the Pacific will shorten the sailing distance between Shanghai and Europe by about 6,400 kilometers (4,000 miles).“In talks with Icelandic authorities, (the Chinese) have made a point of saying it was very plausible” that China would use Iceland as a trans-Arctic shipping port, the chairman of the Icelandic parliament’s foreign affairs committee, Arni Thor Sigurdsson, told AFP.Marc Lanteigne, a senior lecturer at Victoria University of Wellington in New Zealand and an expert on China’s rise as a strategic and economic power, said there were “very strong and very opaque links between large Chinese businesses and the country’s government.”China could especially be eying the up to 160 billion barrels of oil believed to be in the Arctic. “China is now importing more than 50 percent of its crude oil consumed, and like other large economies is worried about the safety of petroleum imports from the Middle East and is seeking alternative sources,” Lanteigne said.He noted that Beijing had been active in the oil trade in Central Asia, the Caspian region and sub-Saharan Africa in recent years.“It is therefore very likely that China would want to increase its presence in the Arctic out of concern for being left out of oil exploration there.”Sigurdsson said China had “no direct claim to natural resources” in the region, but could “become a participant ... by cooperating with states or companies searching for resources.”Observers said there was no concrete indication Beijing would use Huang’s land purchase to hunt for Arctic riches. Yet his plans have raised eyebrows in Reykjavik, where Interior Minister Oegmundur Jonasson has said he would scrutinize the application carefully.Huang has offered to buy the partially state-held land, known as Grimsstadir a Fjoellum, for $10 million and wants to invest a total of $100 million (70 million euros). The businessman has said he is attracted by Iceland’s wilderness and pledged to respect the local environment.Hmmmmmm...........And we all know how China 'respects and protects' nature.Read the full story here.
Sunday, September 25, 2011
Maid Working for Al-Qadhafi's Son Recounts Horrifying Ordeal of Torture at the Hands of Hannibal and His Wife
Warning! Contains very graphic and violent images.
- Updated !Earthquakes in the last 24 hours in the world seismic activity in Tonga 6.8 ! More info here.
- Japan : For the most accurate info on the nuclear disaster go to : Paul Langley's Nuclear History Blog.Here.
- Breaking News! Four Birmingham men charged with plotting terrorist attack in UK; two others charged on other offence.(BirminghamMail).Six men have been charged with terror offences after they were arrested last week in a major operation, police have said.The men, all from Birmingham, were arrested as part of a major operation carried out by the West Midlands Counter Terrorism Unit, West Midlands Police said.The force said four men have been charged with preparing for an act of terrorism in the UK, and two more with failing to disclose information. One of those two was also charged with terrorist fundraising.All six, who are aged between 25 and 32, will appear at West London Magistrates Court tomorrow afternoon.Irfan Nasser, 30, Irfan Khalid, 26, Ashik Ali, 26, and Rahin Ahmed, 25, are all charged with engaging in conduct in preparation of terrorist acts, contrary to the Terrorism Act 2006.It is alleged that between Christmas Day 2010 and September 19 this year, they were preparing, or helping others prepare, to commit acts of terrorism.For Nasser, from Sparkhill, Khalid, from Sparkbrook, and Ali, from Balsall Heath, this is alleged to have included planning a bombing campaign; stating an intention to be a suicide bomber; collecting money for terrorism; making or helping make a homemade bomb for terrorism; and recruiting people for terrorism.Nasser and Khalid are also accused of travelling to Pakistan for training in terrorism including bomb making, weapons and poison making, as well as making a martyrdom film.Ahmed, from Moseley, is accused of helping others travel to Pakistan for terrorism training, collecting money for terrorism and investing and managing money for terrorist acts.Ashik Ali's brother Bahader Ali, 28, and Mohammed Rizwan, 32, both from Sparkbrook, are both charged with failing to disclose information about acts of terrorism.It is alleged that between July 29 and September 19 this year, both had information which they knew may help prevent the commission of an act of terrorism but did not disclose the information.Bahader Ali is also charged with terrorist fundraising.A seventh man, aged 20 and also from Birmingham, who was arrested on Thursday, is still being questioned.Officers have until Thursday to charge, release or apply for a further warrant of detention.Read the full story here.
- Birmingham terrorism charges: Three of six charged accused of planning to be suicide bombers .(BirminghamMail).Three of the six men charged tonight with terrorism offences in Birmingham are accused of planning to be suicide bombers.Full details of the charges, as released by West Midlands Police, are as follows:
IRFAN NASSER (14/6/81) aged 30 of Doris Road, Sparkhill
Alleged that between Christmas Day last year and September 19 this year, he had the 'intention of committing acts of terrorism within the UK or assisting another to commit such acts engaged in conduct in preparation for giving effect to his intention, namely:
i. Travelling to Pakistan for training in terrorism including bomb making, weapons and poison making.
ii. Making a martyrdom film.
iii. Planning a bombing campaign.
iv. Planning a suicide bombing campaign/event.
v. Collecting money for terrorism.
vi. Advising and counselling the commission of terrorist acts by providing information about training in Pakistan
vii. Advising, counselling on explosives and detonators.
viii. Being concerned in the purchase of components and chemicals for a home made explosive device.
ix. Construction of a home made explosive device for terrorist acts.
x. Being concerned in recruiting persons for terrorist training.
xi. Being concerned in recruiting persons for terrorist acts.
xii. Stating an intention to be a suicide bomber.
IRFAN KHALID (1/3/85) aged 26 of Timbers Way, Sparkbrook
Travelling to Pakistan for training in terrorism including bomb making, weapons and poison making.
ii. Making a martyrdom film.
iii. Planning a bombing campaign.
iv. Planning a suicide bombing campaign/event.
v. Collecting money for terrorism.
vi. Advising and counselling the commission of terrorist acts by providing information about training in Pakistan
vii. Advising, counselling on explosives and detonators.
viii. Being concerned in the purchase of components and chemicals for a home made explosive device.
ix. Construction of a home made explosive device for terrorist acts.
x. Being concerned in recruiting persons for terrorist training.
xi. Being concerned in recruiting persons for terrorist acts.
xii. Stating an intention to be a suicide bomber.
ASHIK ALI (12/3/85) aged 26 of White Street, Balsall Heath
i. Planning a bombing campaign
ii. Planning a suicide bombing campaign/event.
iii. Collecting money for terrorism
iv. Providing premises for the planning of terrorism acts and making of explosives.
v. Learning about explosives and detonators.
vi. Being concerned in the purchase of components and chemicals for a home made explosive device.
vii. Construction of a home made explosive device for terrorist acts.
viii. Being concerned in recruiting persons for terrorist training.
ix. Being concerned in recruiting persons for terrorist acts.
x. Stating an intention to be a suicide bomber.
RAHIN AHMED (28/7/86) aged 25 of Moorcroft Road, Moseley
i. Assisting others to travel to Pakistan for training in terrorism including bomb making, weapons and poison making.
ii. Collecting money for terrorism.
iii. Investing and managing money for terrorist acts.
BAHADER ALI (4/7/83) aged 28 of Turner Street, Sparkbrook, accused of witholding information which could have prevented an act of terrorism. Also charged with entering into a funding arrangement related to potential terrorism.
MOHAMMED RIZWAN (3/2/79) aged 32 of Asquith Road, Sparkbrook, accused of witholding information which could have prevented an act of terrorism.
Read the full story here.
- Obama to Blacks: Quit Cryin' and Complainin'.(Yahoo).In a fiery summons to an important voting bloc, President Barack Obama told blacks on Saturday to quit crying and complaining and "put on your marching shoes" to follow him into battle for jobs and opportunity.And though he didn't say it directly, for a second term, too.Obama's speech to the annual awards dinner of the Congressional Black Caucus was his answer to increasingly vocal griping from black leaders that he's been giving away too much in talks with Republicans -- and not doing enough to fight black unemployment, which is nearly double the national average at 16.7 percent."It gets folks discouraged. I know. I listen to some of y'all," Obama told an audience of some 3,000 in a darkened Washington convention center.But he said blacks need to have faith in the future -- and understand that the fight won't be won if they don't rally to his side."I need your help," Obama said.Obama said blacks know all too well from the civil rights struggle that the fight for what is right is never easy."Take off your bedroom slippers. Put on your marching shoes," he said, his voice rising as applause and cheers mounted. "Shake it off. Stop complainin'. Stop grumblin'. Stop cryin'. We are going to press on. We have work to do."But at times, Obama also sounded like he was discussing his own embattled tenure."The future rewards those who press on," He said. "I don't have time to feel sorry for myself. I don't have time to complain. I'm going to press on."This year's caucus speech came as Obama began cranking up grass-roots efforts across the Democratic spectrum.It also fell on the eve of a trip to the West Coast that will combine salesmanship for the jobs plan he sent to Congress this month and re-election fundraising.Obama was leaving Sunday morning for Seattle, where two money receptions were planned, with two more to follow in the San Francisco area.Hmmmm....."money,money ....money.Always sunny.In the rich man's world .Aha-ahaaa - "Quit Cryin' and Complainin'.Read the full story here.
- National Suicide? Further US Nuclear Cuts Planned.(NewZeal).In my view this is the chief reason why Barack Obama was maneuvered into the US presidency and why leftist budget expert Leon Panetta is now US Secretary of Defense.From the Washington Times
The Obama administration has been secretly working on a review of U.S. nuclear weapons in what officials say is part of the White House effort to make deeper cuts on strategic nuclear forces. “The administration has made up its mind that they want to go lower, and the only way to go lower is to change the military requirements for how many weapons are needed,” said a U.S. official familiar with the review. The review has been dubbed a “mini-NPR,” after the Nuclear Posture Review conducted last year that coincided with lame-duck Senate approval in December of the New START treaty, which calls for cutting nuclear arms to 5,000 warheads. Pentagon and U.S. Strategic Command spokesmen had no immediate comment. The mini-NPR is now looking for even lower levels, raising new concerns among national security officials about whether the United States will be able to deter China’s growing and largely secret nuclear forces or a revanchist Russia that is also bolstering its arsenal.Administration officials have made references to the nuclear-weapons-cutting effort in recent weeks. Among them were Rose Gottemoeller, assistant secretary of state for verification. She said at a conference on deterrence in August that “the United States has made it clear that we are committed to continuing a step-by-step process to reduce the overall number of nuclear weapons,” including through a possible agreement with Russia that would cover all types of nuclear arms – strategic, tactical and deployed and non-deployed.Gary Samore, White House arms control coordinator, said in May that the review of nuclear arms was under way. “We’ll need to do a strategic review of what our force requirements are, and then, based on that, the president will have options available for additional reductions,” he told Arms Control Today. “That review is ongoing.” Mr. Samore noted that the review is taking time because “we’ve reached the level in our forces where further reductions will raise questions about whether we retain the triad, or whether we go to a system that only is a dyad.” The current triad strategic force consists of three types of delivery systems: land-based missiles, bombers and submarine missiles. It is not known which delivery system would be placed on the chopping block under the mini-NPR. Mr. Samore noted that if there is no agreement or treaty for the next nuclear cuts, “even unilateral” cuts are being considered.The only real question here is – is this suicide, or is it pre-meditated murder?Hmmmm.....With Putin to become Russia's new Czar for the next 12 Years the US becomes the Sheep going to the Slaughter.Thank you for the input 'Comrades Commissars'.Read the full story here.
- Internet Hits All-Time High as News Source, TV at All-Time Low, Says Pew.(CNSNews).The Internet has risen to its all-time high as a primary source of news for Americans with 43 percent now saying they get most of their news on national and international issues from the web, according to a surveypublished Thursday by the Pew Research Center for The People & The Press.Meanwhile, television sits at an all-time low as a primary source of news for Americans with only 66 percent now saying they get most of their national and international news from TV–a nadir television also hit in December 2010.Since 1991, Pew has periodically asked Americans: “How do you get most of your news about national and international issues?”In this survey, respondents are allowed to give up to two answers. (So, a person can cite both television and the Internet, or television and radio, or newspapers and television, etc., as the places where they get most of their news–and the combined percentages for the various sources can add up to more than 100 percent).In the two decades Pew has been tracking this trend in American news sources, television peaked as the primary source of news for Americans at the time s of the September 2001 terrorist attacks, when 90 percent said they got most of their news from TV. Television nearly returned to that level in March 2003, during the invasion of Iraq, and September 2005, during Hurricane Katrina. At both those times, 89 percent said they got most of their national and international news from TV.Read the full story here.
- CIS (Center for Immigration Studies): Most new jobs in Texas went to immigrants.(RRW).The Center for Immigration Studies released today the shocking results of their analysis of Governor Rick Perry’s claims about the economic “success” of his home state of Texas. Most new jobs in the state went to immigrants!Here is the introductory section of the news release from CIS (emphasis mine):
Governor Rick Perry (R-Texas) has pointed to job growth in Texas during the current economic downturn as one of his main accomplishments. But analysis of Current Population Survey (CPS) data collected by the Census Bureau show that immigrants (legal and illegal) have been the primary beneficiaries of this growth since 2007, not native-born workers. This is true even though the native-born accounted for the vast majority of growth in the working-age population (age 16 to 65) in Texas. Thus, they should have received the lion’s share of the increase in employment. As a result, the share of working-age natives in Texans holding a job has declined in a manner very similar to the nation a whole.Among the findings:
*Of jobs created in Texas since 2007, 81 percent were taken by newly arrived immigrant workers (legal and illegal).
*In terms of numbers, between the second quarter of 2007, right before the recession began, and the second quarter of 2011, total employment in Texas increased by 279,000. Of this, 225,000 jobs went to immigrants (legal and illegal) who arrived in the United States in 2007 or later.
*Of newly arrived immigrants who took a job in Texas, 93 percent were not U.S. citizens. Thus government data show that more than three-fourths of net job growth in Texas were taken by newly arrived non-citizens (legal and illegal).
*The large share of job growth that went to immigrants is surprising because the native-born accounted for 69 percent of the growth in Texas’ working-age population (16 to 65). Thus, even though natives made up most of the growth in potential workers, most of the job growth went to immigrants.
*The share of working-age natives holding a job in Texas declined significantly, from 71 percent in 2007 to 67 percent in 2011. This decline is very similar to the decline for natives in the United States as a whole and is an indication that the situation for native-born workers in Texas is very similar to the overall situation in the country despite the state’s job growth.
*Of newly arrived immigrants who took jobs in Texas since 2007, we estimate that 50 percent (113,000) were illegal immigrants. Thus, about 40 percent of all the job growth in Texas since 2007 went to newly arrived illegal immigrants and 40 percent went to newly arrived legal immigrants.
*Immigrants took jobs across the educational distribution. More than one out three (97,000) of newly arrived immigrants who took a job had at least some college.
*These numbers raise the question of whether it makes sense to continue the current high level of legal immigration and also whether to continue to tolerate illegal immigration.
This is a devastating report, please read the whole thing. The results of this report also help explain Perry’s instate tuition for illegal aliens law in Texas—they are an important voting block for him.Texas is the third largest recipient of refugees in the US after California and Florida. Indeed, just a couple of days ago I reported on how your federal tax dollars were going to Catholic Charities of Fort Worth for job training for immigrants, here.Read the full story here.
- Ga. Middle School: Muslim Polygamy Is Normal, Burkas Good For Women.(BigGovernment).A middle school in Smyrna, Georgia included in an assignment material that essentially shows 7th grade children that Islamic polygamy is a perfectly legitimate concept and that there is nothing wrong with the strict dress codes used to oppress Muslim women the world over.The material was presented to the 7th graders at Campbell Middle School as part of a discussion of the school’s dress codes, apparently meant to use the ideas of Islamic culture for women’s clothing as some sort of example to compare how the school regulates clothing for its students in Georgia.The concepts were presented in the lesson as a letter from a fictional 20-year-old Muslim woman named “Ahlima.” In this letter “Ahlima” tells readers that she wouldn’t mind if her husband took a second wife and also extolled the virtues of the burkha. She claims that American women are “horribly immodest” in the way they dress.As to polygamy, the fictional Ahlima says, “I understand that some Westerners condemn our practice of polygamy, but I also know they are wrong.”A father of one of the students was not very happy with the assignment. He complained that the lesson is “promoting or positively depicting their belief that polygamy” is acceptable. He also felt that there should have been some sort of disclaimer that we Americans don’t accept these concepts and he worried that the Muslim ideas were presented as completely acceptable.Another page of the assignment explained the “seven conditions for women’s dress in Islam,” presenting all of them without discussion and, in essence, endorsing them as acceptable or normal.The school told the WSB TV, Channel 2 News that it did not create the lesson plan and that it came from the state. The school pledged to review the material to see if it was appropriate. But, it is not appropriate. Not at all.First of all, this lesson plan is built on lies. The burkha, for instance, is not a requirement of Islam. It is a cultural practice that only some Muslim cultures observe. The burkha has nothing at all to do with Islam directly. Not all Muslims practice polygamy, either, so even that isn’t necessarily a strict Islamic idea, either.But, worse, the idea that burkhas should at all be acceptable to an American is a slap against our own ideals and promotes the oppressive ideas of enemies to our culture as perfectly acceptable.The culturally strict proscriptions against freedom forced on Islamic women are a crime against humanity, yet here we have our own schools presenting to our own children the idea that the oppression of women is a perfectly acceptable cultural choice.It would be exactly the same if they had a letter from a female slave saying that she was OK with being a slave. That it was perfectly acceptable for her to be owned by someone.We are teaching our children that our own principles are not the optimal principles. We are teaching our children that our own culture, our own ideals are not supreme. We are teaching our children that the oppressive ideas of Islam are just as good as American ideals.This is a result of liberals trying to make sure Muslims know that we “like” them in a post 9/11 world. With this weak, kow towing we are also making of ourselves a bigger target because there is another cultural ideal in Islam. Muslims feel that such bending over backwards as this is a weakness to be despised. Such kow towing is looked upon as pitiful. Muslims feel that such groveling is not “nice” or “neighborly” but spurs them to imagine that they can easily attack and dominate such a weak-willed culture.But, even that aside, it shows how the liberals that wrote these lesson plans despise America. It shows that they do not value our own culture. It shows that these liberals are always in search of ways to further tear down the United States and make of her just another nation with just another set of cultural ideas.If we want to bring America back from the brink of the destruction liberals have led us to we need to take back our educational system and get back to a time where we are teaching our kids why the United States is the best nation on earth.Unfortunately, today our schools are filled with lessons like this, lessons that teach our own children that the US is nothing special.Hmmmm......"CHANGE" the Obama voters wanted?Read the full story here.
- Facebook to Charge Users?Or will the info be sold to the Obama regime?(Weeklyworldnews).Facebook has announced a host of new changes to its design and new plan – charging users!Mark Zuckerberg announced a host of new changes to Facebook. He did not, however, comment on the fact that he was closing Facebook down next year.WWN’s J.B. Smitts broke the story that Facebook was shutting down on March 15th, 2012. Maybe this helped Zuckerberg come up with his new plan?Pressure from angry users has been too much and Facebook is looking at an alternative, something that will persuade Mark Zuckerberg to keep the site alive: his social media platform is going to start charging users!Facebook is planning a subscription-based service with monthly fees starting at $0.99 for a basic “friendship” which allows for the posting of text and just one profile picture. This fee will increase, depending on the number of friends you have, the messages posted and sent, and the pictures/videos/ games put on a user’s page. The monthly fee will be capped at $50.00 per month at the high-end.Bottom line: the more you use Facebook, the more you will pay.All existing content has been “grandfathered” and will not be disrupted – though Facebook has decided to share this data with government agencies, including the FBI , the CIA and Michael Moore.Goldman Sachs, which had been planning to raise $1.5 billion in financing before they learned that Mark Zuckerberg wanted to shutter the site, is thrilled at the prospect of Facebook converting to a pay service.“The addition of this substantial revenue windfall makes Facebook all that more attractive as an investment,” said Tom Wortowski, Senior Vice President of Goldman Sachs. “This will make it the largest corporation on the planet, in the history of the planet.”Industry watchers estimate that the new fee-based program will generate well in excess of $20 billion in new revenue for the company – based on the most conservative assumptions of usage and the proposed tiered fee structure.These estimates, of course, account for the fact that millions of users may quit Facebook in response to the imposition of fees.No matter. Facebook executives are excited at the prospect of charging users. “We’re going to make money hand over fist,” said Facebook CEO Cindy Sherman. “I think converting to a pay service is something that will make Mark want to keep the site going. And I’ll finally get to buy an island in the Mediterranean.”March 15th, 2012 is Facebook Day.The site will either shut down, or start charging users for its service.Hmmmmm......Paying a fee, a great way to know who is who.Read the full story here.
- Reposting: Palestinian terrorists murder Jewish father and infant on Friday.(TheMuqata).After 48 hours of foot dragging, the Israeli Police have admitted that despite their initial insistence, and the insistence of the IDF spokesman, Asher and Yonatan were murdered in a Palestinian terror attack this past Friday, when Palestinians threw rocks at the Palmer's car as it traveled on Highway 60.The police have determined via a CT scan of Asher's skull, that cracks were seen in his facial bones, caused by the rock which was found in his car (and was hurled through the windshield of his car).This past Friday afternoon, the Muqata reported the terror attack on a father and infant near Kiryat Arba, in which Palestinian Arabs threw rocks at a car, causing it to overturn, killing the car's occupants.None of Israel's primary news sources mentioned the attack, rather amorphously stated that a Jewish car overturned near Halhoul on highway 60 near Hevron and the events leading to the "car accident" were still underway.Just hours after the murderous attack, in which Asher Palmer (25) and his infant son Yonatan (age 8 months) were murdered by Palestinians, PA President Mahmoud Abbas gave his speech to the United Nations why the Palestinians deserve a state of their own.Israel's courts have already documented the facts: The car being driven on highway 60 from Northbound, suddently swerved, overturned, leading to the death of Asher Palmer (25) and his infant son Yonatan (age 8 months). The windshield had a large hole in it, and inside the car was a large rock, covered with blood.However, the police want to also an additional autopsy and blood tests to rule out alcohol in the blood or a heart attack as the reason for car swerving off the road and over-turning. The judge denied the police's request saying that the evidence is adequate that a rock hit the windshield, and the family should be able to bury their loves ones as quickly as possible, in accordance with Jewish law.Hmmmm.....Read and see Father and baby here.More on this story here.
- Council of Europe's SECRET Report 1976 on the Turkish Atrocities in Cyprus.(KitmanTV).Thanks to Panos Ioannides, President of Movement for FREEDOM and JUSTICE IN CYPRUS, for obtaining this crucial report. THE SUNDAY TIMES (London, 23 January 1977) secured a copy of a secret Council of Europe Report, which found Turkey guilty of violating seven articles of the European convention on Human Rights.On the ground of the 1976 secret Report, THE SUNDAY TIMES published on 23rd January 1977 a first page massive indictment of the Ankara government for the murders, rapes and looting by the Turkish army in Cyprus during and after the 1974 Turkish invasion, together with an Insight Exclusive titled “Turk atrocities: What secret report reveals”.
To the fury of the Turkish government, the newspaper published extracts of the secret Report, that document the KILLING and EXECUTION of civilians (men, women and children), the REPEATED RAPES of women of all ages from 12 to 71, the ENFORCED PROSTITUTION of women and girls, the SYSTEMATIC TORTURE of people (including children, women and pensioners), and the SYSTEMATIC LOOTING in all Turkish-occupied areas of Greek Cypriot houses and business premises.
The Movement for Freedom and Justice in Cyprus has secured the full text of the Council of Europe's SECRET Report on the Turkish Atrocities in Cyprus, which should have been THE BIBLE of all Governments’ (of Cyprus and Greece) efforts against Turkey since 1976.Read the full story and report here.
- Canada - A Toronto property manager On the Run: Muslim Builds Mosque, Mansion in Bangladesh with Funds Stolen from Canadians.(TheStar)A Toronto property manager on the run after allegedly defrauding condos of millions of dollars was last seen a week ago in his ancestral village in Bangladesh where he recently built a mansion and an ornate mosque.The Daily Prothom Alo, a Bengali-language newspaper, reported that Manzoor Khan was seen in his village in Magura district, some 350 kilometres from the capital of Dhaka.Surrounded by lush plants and a high fence, Khan’s two-storey residence is named Ashirbad, which means blessed.The mosque, awash in marble, is about a mile from the house, a reporter with the paper said. Khan, president of Channel Property Management Ltd., allegedly borrowed millions of dollars against at least nine buildings — in most cases without the boards’ knowledge or approval.He is also accused of rigging the tender process on building projects by creating fake companies that would come in at the lowest bid to win lucrative work in condos his company managed. He would then subcontract the work at a fraction of the price.The total misappropriation may exceed $20 million. Several buildings have filed civil suits against Channel and Khan.Channel filed for bankruptcy last week. The company was evicted from its Woodbridge office for not paying rent.Toronto police are investigating.According to media reports in Bangladesh, Khan’s younger brother, Sayed Faisal Azam, said Khan left Bangladesh in 1996 and only recently got back in touch with his family there. He built his house in the past two years, said Azam.The brother told reporters he didn’t know where Khan was but said he would be back in a month.The Daily Amader Shomoy reported that Khan, who is also known as Azad, defrauded locals of more than $100,000 in 1984 by promising to send dozens of workers to the Middle East but then vanished. He reportedly moved to Dhaka where he dabbled in real estate.Khan left Bangladesh in 1996 for Saudi Arabia and then Dubai before settling in Canada in the late ’90s, the reports say.A police officer in Dhaka told local media that Khan received a license for a pistol and a shotgun five days ago at the police station.While some have described Khan as a conman in the local papers, others say he was generous and gave money to local groups, including a Muslim religious school.In Toronto, many also described the two sides of Khan to the Star.Imranul Haq, 68, said Khan came across as a thoughtful, religious man.It’s what persuaded the airport security worker to lend Khan $100,000 from his line of credit over several years to help launch his property management business.The pair met nine years ago when Haq was looking for work.“He was an ordinary man at that time, you know,” Haq said.Khan was a superintendent at an apartment building on Martin Grove Rd. in north EtobicokeThey became friends, meeting for coffee. On Fridays, they attended mosque together. “It’s how I got pulled toward him,” Haq said.Khan told Haq about his plans to start his own property management company and said he needed some money to get it going.At first, Haq loaned his new friend $10,000 which Khan repaid over three years.He asked for another $20,000, then another, then another.“This went on until I lost $100, 000,” Haq said.“I don’t know what kind of magic he did on me. He never made me feel that I would not get the money back.”Read the full story here.
- NATO "ALLY" Turkey to Azerbaijan: Stand with us against Israel......or else.(Ynet).The Turkish ambassador to Azerbaijan called on Baku to stand beside Ankara in its diplomatic struggle against Israel and "reconsider" its relations with the Jewish State, a Persian-language US-based website reported on Sunday. According to the report, Ambassador Hulusi Kilic said that Israel should take into account "possible problems" with the oil pipeline that crosses from Azerbaijan to Turkey, and also supplies oil to Israel. He did not go into further details.The Baku–Tbilisi–Ceyhan pipeline supplies 10-20% of Israel's oil consumption. A similar amount is supplied to Israel by Kazakhstan, through the same pipeline that crosses through Turkey. Responding to the Turkish ambassador's comments, the website quoted Israel's Ambassador to Baku Michael Lavon Lotem as saying that third-party interests should not be allowed to affect the strategic relations between Jerusalem and Baku. Azerbaijan has become an important strategic asset for Israel's security and foreign affairs. In 2010, the trade between the two countries totaled more than $2 billion – double than the trade between Azerbaijan and Turkey. Israel also supplies Azerbaijan advanced military equipment and helps train its army. As part of the cooperation between the two states, Israeli defense systems manufacturer Elbit Systems recently opened an office in the former soviet republic, and is planning to build a plant for the joint production of unmanned aerial vehicles. Baku has yet to issue a response to the Turkish ambassador's remarks, but the head of the Azeri Press Office told the local radio station that Azerbaijan hopes the "crisis between Israel and Turkey ends soon." Hmmmmm.....Why does Obama support Erdogan's actions?Read the full story here.
- Saudi king gives women right to vote.(HurriyetDaily).Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah said on Sunday women in the conservative Islamic kingdom will have the right to join the advisory Shura Council as full members and participate in future municipal elections, meeting a key goal of liberal activists."Because we refuse to marginalise women in society in all roles that comply with sharia, we have decided, after deliberation with our senior ulama (clerics) and others... to involve women in the Shura Council as members, starting from the next term," he said in a speech delivered to the Shura Council."Women will be able to run as candidates in the municipal election and will even have a right to vote," he added.Activists in the country have long called for greater rights for women, who are barred from travelling, working or having medical operations without the permission of a male relative and are forbidden from driving.Those changes will come after municipal elections this Thursday, for which women have been barred from voting or standing office.Read the full story here.
- Nineteen-year-old Woman Beheaded and Dismembered by Syrian Security.(CNN).A young woman whisked away by Syrian security forces to coax the surrender of her activist brother turned up beheaded and dismembered, activists and human rights groups say, yet another high-profile display of cruelty in the conflict-wracked nation.Nineteen-year-old Zainab Alhusni stepped away from her Homs residence last month to buy groceries.Her family never saw her again until security forces returned her mutilated corpse, two opposition activist groups operating inside Syria and Amnesty International told CNN.As reports of the torture sparked outrage across Homs and the rest of the world, amateur video surfaced of dozens of woman protesting the death."They killed the rose Zainab," their placards said."If it is confirmed that Zainab was in custody when she died, this would be one of the most disturbing cases of a death in detention we have seen so far," said Philip Luther, Amnesty's deputy director for the Middle East and North Africa.The case also drew the antipathy of the U.N. Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, which characterized the incident as "appalling" and as one example of the "targeting and attacking of families and sympathizers of the protesters by security forces."The ferocious Syrian government crackdown against dissenters began in mid-March when anti-government protests unfolded. The number of people killed over the past six months has reached at least 2,700, according to the U.N. human rights office. Some activist groups put the toll at around 3,000.Zainab's brother Mohammed Alhusni -- a prominent opposition activist praised by colleagues for leading anti-government protests and treating the wounded -- had been evading authorities for weeks when his sister disappeared, said the Homs Quarters Union, an activist group."The secret police kidnapped Zainab so they could threaten her brother and pressure him to turn himself in to the authorities. The government often uses this tactic to get to activists," a union media coordinator told CNN.The Local Coordination Committees of Syria, an activist group, said security forces called Zainab's family to trade her "freedom for her pro-democracy activist brother's surrender," LCC said.Mohammed Alhusni was eventually slain on September 10, when security forces fired on demonstrators in Homs.When the family retrieved Mohammed's body from a Homs military hospital, medical officials told relatives about another unclaimed body with the label "Zainab Alhusni" that had been kept in a hospital freezer for some time.Days later, Zainab's family received the woman's headless and limbless corpse, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, Amnesty International and the Homs Quarters Union said.The Homs Quarters Union provided a video to CNN showing the pale trunk of a female body beside a detached head with long black hair among dismembered limbs.Authorities forced Zainab's mother to sign a document saying both Zainab and Mohammad had been kidnapped and killed by an armed gang, Amnesty International said in an online statement.Syrian authorities could not be reached for comment on the Alhusni case. The Syrian government has maintained that armed gangs with foreign agendas, not the regime, are responsible for the violence that has plagued the Arab country for months.Hmmmm.......Assad the 'Reformer'.Read the full story here.