Thursday, July 7, 2011
Not Only Slave-Girls: Kuwaiti Political Activist Salwa Al-Mteiri Calls for a Law Permitting Kuwaiti Women to Buy a Husband Abroad
Interviewer: Apart from slave-girls, you are demanding that a law be legislated that would permit a Kuwaiti woman to go and buy a husband with special traits from Europe or the Balkan countries. Explain this to me.
Salwa Al-Mteiri: In my view, a woman's pride is her most precious thing. If she is educated, owns a house, and has financial means, why shouldn't she help a man from a country with a Muslim community? She would help him enter the country, and they would set up a home together.
Interviewer: But wouldn't she feel that she was buying a husband with her money?
- Japan : For the most accurate info on the nuclear disaster go to : Paul Langley's Nuclear History Blog.Here.
- The Obama Doctrine can be summarized in nine damning words: Embolden our enemies. Undermine our friends. Diminish our country.(WashingtonTimes).The outlines of an Obama Doctrine have been apparent for some time. It can be summarized in nine damning words: Embolden our enemies. Undermine our friends. Diminish our country. These days, it is hard to avoid proof that these outcomes are not inadvertent or attributable to sheer and sustained incompetence. Rather, they are a product of deliberate decisions approved, we must assume, by the president himself.Consider last week’s announcement by Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton that the United States was going to “engage” the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt. In one fell swoop, Team Obama hit its doctrinal trifecta: America arguably has no more mortal enemy than the Muslim Brotherhood (MB, or Ikhwan in Arabic). The MB’s own documents - including a number of those introduced into evidence by the Justice Department in the largest terrorism-financing trial in U.S. history, the Holy Land Foundation prosecution - make clear that this international Islamist organization seeks to impose its politico-military-legal doctrine of Shariah on our country.One such document describes a “phased plan” that calls for the Ikhwan assiduously and stealthily to pursue precisely this objective. Ultimately, the plan calls for the use of violence to take over our government, clearing the way for the triumph of Islam worldwide and the re-establishment of a global ruler, the caliph, who will govern in accordance with Shariah.Sounds crazy, right? Or at least unachievable? It does, at least until you realize that the message being sent by the Obama administration is that despite such ambitions, we are prepared to legitimate and deal with the Muslim Brothers who are animated by them.Well, perhaps you say that just because we are recognizing that the Muslim Brotherhood is likely to be a big player (read, the winner) in the elections scheduled for later this year in Egypt does not mean we are going to facilitate its aspirations in this country. Unfortunately, that is exactly what it means.By engaging the Ikhwan in its native land, the Obama administration is effectively eliminating any lingering impediment to the operations of its myriad front groups in this country. Even before Mrs. Clinton’s announcement, many of them already had been accorded unprecedented access to and influence in the U.S. government. In fact, it stands to reason that one of the factors prompting Team Obama to embrace the Muslim Brotherhood is the success of such influence operations within the United States.In addition to emboldening our enemies by reinforcing their conviction that we are in decline, the Obama administration’s MB initiative undermines our friends. That is most obviously the case with respect to Israel, a nation already reeling from the president’s serial, gratuitous acts of enmity toward the Jewish state. His embrace of the Ikhwan can only exacerbate the worsening strategic environment the Israelis have faced in the months since the United States pulled the plug on former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.Lest we forget, this momentous dismantling of America’s place as the world’s pre-eminent space power fits the Obama Doctrine in one other way: It was just a year ago that the then-newly appointed NASA Administrator Charles Bolden recounted how Mr. Obama had apprized him of his priority mission: “Perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science … and math and engineering.”Kind of hard to miss the pattern here.Hmmmm......"I Will stand with my Muslim brothers", when was the last time he went to church again?Read the full story here.
- GunWalker - These boots are made for walking: ATF Director Secretly Testifies That DOJ Lied to Congress and Obstructed Its Investigation.(DougRoss).ATF Director Ken Melson secretly testified Monday before the House Oversight Committee concerning Project Gunwalker -- without the knowledge of either the Justice Department or the ATF. Most importantly, he directly refuted the official "party line" coming from Washington regarding "Operation Fast and Furious":
• Contrary to denials by the DOJ, Melson said agents had witnessed transfers of weapons from straw purchasers to third parties without following the guns further
• The team executing Operation Fast and Furious had been placed under the direction of the Arizona U.S. Attorney’s office
• The DOJ is reported to have intentionally withheld documents from Congress that Melson has now provided to the Committee
As a result of that meeting, the Committee issued a scathing open letter to Attorney General Eric Holder accusing him of stonewalling the investigation into "Operation Gunrunner", the disastrous effort to smuggle weapons to Mexican drug cartels for reasons not yet fully understood.
Dear Attorney General Holder:
Yesterday, Acting ATF Director Kenneth Melson participated in a transcribed interview regarding Operation Fast and Furious and related matters with both Republican and Democratic staff. He appeared with his personal counsel, Richard Cullen of McGuire Woods LLP. His interview had originally been scheduled through the Justice Department to occur on July 13 in the presence of DOJ and ATF counsel. As you know, however, under our agreement Department witnesses who choose to attend a voluntary interview with their own lawyer are free to exercise that right rather than participate with counsel representing the Department's interests.
After being made aware of that provision of our agreement, Acting Director Melson chose to exercise that right and appeared with his own lawyer. We are disappointed that no one had previously informed him of that provision of the agreement. Instead, Justice Department officials sought to limit and control his communications with Congress. This is yet another example of why direct communications with Congress are so important and are protected by law.
Acting Director Melson's cooperation was extremely helpful to our investigation. He was candid in admitting mistakes that his agency made and described various ways he says that he tried to remedy the problems. According to Mr. Melson, it was not until after the public controversy that he personally reviewed hundreds of documents relating to the case, including wiretap applications and Reports of Investigation (ROIs). By his account, he was sick to his stomach when he obtained those documents and learned the full story. Mr. Melson said that he told the Office of the Deputy Attorney General (ODAG) at the end of March that the Department needed to reexamine how it was responding to the requests for information from Congress.
According to Mr. Melson, he and ATF's senior leadership team moved to reassign every manager involved in Fast and Furious, from the Deputy Assistant Director for Field Operations down to the Group Supervisor, after learning the facts in those documents. Mr. Melson also said he was not allowed to communicate to Congress the reasons for the reassignments. He claimed that ATF's senior leadership would have preferred to be more cooperative with our inquiry much earlier in the process.
However, he said that Justice Department officials directed them not to respond and took full control of replying to briefing and document requests from Congress. The result is that Congress only got the parts of the story that the Department wanted us to hear. If his account is accurate, then ATF leadership appears to have been effectively muzzled while the DOJ sent over false denials and buried its head in the sand. That approach distorted the truth and obstructed our investigation. The Department's inability or unwillingness to be more forthcoming served to conceal critical information that we are now learning about the involvement of other agencies, including the DEA and the FBI.This story keeps expanding -- it is far, far worse than Iran-Contra ever was. And even legacy media -- ABC, Bloomberg, NPR, Reuters, US News and World Report, The Wall Street Journal, and The Washington Post, etc. -- are now reporting on the story.Of course, if you read The New York Times, you'd have no idea any of this had occurred.Obstructing a Congressional investigation is a crime. It's clear that Gunrunner goes to the very top of the DOJ and, perhaps, even beyond it.Hmmmm.....GunWalker:"These boots are made for walking, and that's just what they'll do.One of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you.You keep lying, when you oughta be truthin'.Read the full story here.
- TSA warns airlines of 'human bombs'.(Politico).Transportation security officials are warning airlines on Wednesday that “human bomb” terrorists may try to use surgically implanted explosives to blow up planes.Though there is no intelligence about a specific plot, the Transportation Security Administration is nonetheless urging domestic and international carriers to be aware of the potential threat.The warnings are part of an effort “to provide greater insights into recent intelligence indicating the continued interest of terrorists to target aviation,” TSA press secretary Nick Kimball said in a statement.“Due to the significant advances in global aviation security in recent years, terrorist groups have repeatedly and publicly indicated interest in pursuing ways to further conceal explosives,” he added.A U.S. security official told POLITICO that the threat is seen as more “likely to come from overseas rather than domestically but we are taking precautionary steps both internationally and here in the U.S.”As security measures become more sophisticated, terrorists have sought out new ways to conceal explosives, and surgically implanted bombs are one of the latest tactics that terrorists are believed to be trying to use.In a memo sent to Britain’s transportation department, the TSA said the U.S. government “has information indicating doctors have offered to help extremists surgically implant explosive devices in humans and animals for terrorist attacks,” the Daily Mirror reported Wednesday. The memo notes that airports don’t have one surefire way to screen for the bombs.Passengers flying into the United States from abroad “may notice additional security measures in place,” Kimball said. The measures “designed to be unpredictable, so passengers should not expect to see the same activity at every international airport,” but may include pat-downs and the use of other screening methods.Hmmmmmmm.........What exactly means "Other screening methods"?Read the full story here.
- Our Politicians Are Selling Off Pieces Of America To Foreign Investors – And Goldman Sachs Is Helping Them Do It.(AmericanDream).All over the United States, politicians are selling off key pieces of infrastructure to foreign investors and big Wall Street banks like Goldman Sachs are helping them do it. State and local governments across the country that are drowning in debt and that are desperate for cash are increasingly turning to the "privatization" of public assets as the solution to their problems. Pieces of infrastructure that taxpayers have already paid for such as highways, water treatment plants, libraries, parking meters, airports and power plants are being auctioned off to the highest bidder. Most of the time what happens is that the state or local government receives a huge lump sum of cash up front for a long-term lease (usually 75 years or longer) and the foreign investors come in and soak as much revenue out of the piece of infrastructure that they possibly can. The losers in these deals are almost always the taxpayers. Pieces of America are literally being auctioned off just to help state and local governments minimize their debt problems for a year or two, but the consequences of these deals will be felt for decades.Sadly, this trend continues to accelerate. Just this week, a bill that will allow the state government of Ohio to proceed with plans to lease the Ohio Turnpike to investors was approved. The state government of Ohio will soon receive a one-time injection of cash and everyone in the area that uses the Ohio Turnpike will end up paying much higher tolls for decades to come.Highways have also been auctioned off (most of the time to foreign investors) in Indiana, the city of Chicago, Florida, Virginia and Texas.Amazingly, many politicians continue to insist that selling off pieces of infrastructure that have already been fully paid for by taxpayers is a wonderful thing. In fact, there are actually some politicians that have the gall to call it a "conservative" thing to do.For example, Rick Perry has been at the forefront of the effort to "privatize" the highways of Texas.You would think that the people of Texas would have gotten rid of him by now, but considering the fact that he may be running for the Republican nomination in 2012, he just might be our next president.What makes the selling off of our infrastructure even worse is that big Wall Street banks such as Goldman Sachs are helping our corrupt politicians do it.Hmmmmm........"Change".Read the full story here.
- 16 Reasons To Feel Really Depressed About The Direction That The Economy Is Headed.(AmericanDream).If you do not want to feel really depressed, you might not want to read this article. The U.S. economy is coming apart at the seams, and there are a whole lot of indications that things are about to get even worse. After a time of relative stability, the pace of job cuts is starting to pick up again, inflation is rising but paychecks are not, the U.S. housing crisis shows no signs of ending, millions of American families are drowning in debt and all of the recent polls show that the faith of the American people in our economy is eroding. As you read the statistics in this article, try to keep in mind that there are scores of families from coast to coast that are barely surviving from month to month. It can be a soul-crushing experience to work as hard as you can and yet just barely be able to pay the mortgage and put food into the mouths of your kids. The reason why so many Americans believe that we are in a "recession" or a "depression" is because that is what they feel like they are living through every single day.The number of Americans that are really depressed about the direction of the economy continues to grow. At first most Americans had expected the U.S. economy to bounce back after the recession "like it always does", but now hope is turning into desperation as people start realizing that this time things are different.Most Americans are very eager for things to go back to normal. Unfortunately, things look like they are about to get even worse.The following are 16 reasons to feel really depressed about the direction of the economy....Read the full story here.
- OIC changes name and emblem, it now shows an Islamic crescent surrounding the globe.(CrossroadsArabia).The Organization of the Islamic Conference is no more. Welcome, instead, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation. Saudi Gazette carries this story about the change of name and symbol resulting from decisions by the OIC’s foreign ministers’ meeting in Kazakhstan.The new logo, as seen in the photo accompanying the article, will not warm the hearts of Islamophobes, however. It shows an Islamic crescent surrounding the globe, exactly what they fear. The logo is in keeping, however, with the idea that the new organization seeks global reach.I’m not sure that re-branding is going to be of much use, though. So far in its 40+ year history, the group seems to have focused mainly on complaining about the plight of Muslims without actually doing anything useful. In other words, it’s been just another talk shop that provides places for governments to send people away for a while, at decent salaries, while causing no harm.Hmmmm.......Global Caliphat illustrated?Read the full story here.
- The Russian bear is hungry and migrating, Russia to claim Arctic border expansion.(HurriyetDaily).Russia will submit a claim to the United Nations to expand its Arctic borders, a top official said Wednesday, as scientists embarked on a new expedition to prove its ownership of energy-rich territory."I expect that next year we will present a well-based scientific claim about expanding the borders of our Arctic shelf," Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov said in the Far Northern town of Naryan-Mar in the Arctic Circle.Ivanov was speaking as Russian scientists embarked on a new expedition aimed at proving its claims to territory on the Arctic shelf, in the latest exploration venture that risks sparking tensions with neighbors like Canada."The expedition is equipped with modern equipment and everything necessary for a proper and scientific claim," he said, quoted by the RIA-Novosti and ITAR-TASS news agencies.Russia had alarmed its Arctic neighbors including Canada and Norway when it planted a flag on the ocean floor under the North Pole in 2007 in a symbolic staking of its claim over the region.The latest expedition is aimed at proving that the underwater Lomonosov and Mendeleev ridges in the Arctic constitute a geological continuation of the Russian Arctic shelf.Both ridges are named after great Russian scientists but so far the U.N. Commission has neither accepted nor rejected Russia's claim to the area.But Russia is hoping its claim will win it an additional million square kilometers of territory and the rights to explore for more gas reserves in the energy-rich Arctic.Prime Minister Vladimir Putin had said last month that Russia would "strongly and consistently" defend its interests in the Arctic although it remained in constant contact with its regional partners over the issue.He warned that Russia intended to "expand its presence" in the Arctic and Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said that the armed forces intended to create two Arctic brigades for the defense of its interests.At the meeting in Naryan-Mar, the head of the Russian navy Admiral Vladimir Vysotsky warned that the Arctic was seeing a build-up of "challenges and threats that could have a negative effect on Russia's economic interests."He said that NATO had in particular defined the Arctic as part of its zone of interest while there had also been a surge in interest on the part of Asian countries.These included China, Japan and Korea as well as Malaysia and Thailand, Vysotsky added, sarcastically describing the latter two southeast Asian states as "well known Arctic nations".The five Arctic nations – Canada, Denmark, Norway, Russia and the United States – are locked in a tight race to gather evidence to support their claims amid reports that global warming could leave the region ice-free by 2030. Russia signed a 'treaty'(After holding military maneuvers near Norway's territorial waters) with Norway last September to end a 40-year dispute over a 176,000-square-kilometre maritime area straddling the two countries' economic zones in the Barents Sea and the Arctic Ocean.The deal regulates energy resources in the region, requiring the two countries to jointly develop oil and gas deposits that cross over the borderline.The Arctic seabed is believed to hold 90 billion barrels, or 13 percent of the worlds undiscovered oil reserves and 30 percent of the gas resources yet to be found, according to the US Geological Survey.The giant Russian tanker Baltica – escorted by the world's two most powerful nuclear ice breakers – last year made a historic voyage across the famed Northeast passage carrying gas condensate to China.Ivanov said he expected the Northern sea route along Russia's Arctic coast to see the transit of five million tones of goods in 2012, a dramatic rise from this year's estimated figure of three million tones.Hmmmm.....Meanwhile Canada is preparing it's own Arctic force.Read the full story here.
- Israel unlikely to condemn Turkey over Palmer report.(Ynet).Coming UN report on first Gaza flotilla contains harsh criticism against Ankara, but Jerusalem may choose not to capitalize on it.The coming Palmer report, investigating the tragic events of the 2010 Gaza flotilla, is expected to harshly criticize Turkey's handling of the sail and its ties to the IHH, but according to Ynet's source, Jerusalem does not intend to propel the report's conclusions into an international media campaign that would "vindicate" Israel. The report stands to include indirect criticism against Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's government's involvement in the sail, but it is believed Israel will hold back so as not to impede the efforts to stabilize relations with Turkey.Jerusalem and Ankara are still struggling with finalizing the report, but since Defense Minister Ehud Barak and Minister for Home Front Defense Matan Vilnai are pushing to normalize relations with Turkey, Israel will be in no hurry to capitalize on the report.Turkey's objections to the second flotilla is also one of the reasons Israel prefers not to launch and international media campaign against Ankara. While the Palmer report contains harsh criticism against both states, it insists Israel's maritime blockade on Gaza is legal.Hmmmmm.......Not using it against Turkey is a mistake, do they really believe Erdogan would spare them if it were the other way around?Read the full story here.
- Mahmoud the "ladies man", Ahmadinejad opposes sex segregation at universities.(Ynet). Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Wednesday ordered the immediate cancellation of plans to segregate sexes at some universities, blasting the move as "shallow and unwise," his website reported."In some universities, single-gender courses and classes are implemented without considering their consequences," the president said in a letter to the ministers of higher education and health published by his website. "It is necessary that these shallow and unwise actions are prevented immediately," Ahmadinejad said against the backdrop of a lively debate in media and among officials over reports of plans to divide female and male students. The order comes amid a campaign by the ultra-conservative and religious camps dominating the Iranian regime for the abolition of co-education in universities for the new academic year. On Tuesday, higher education minister Kamran Daneshjoo denied having any plans for gender segregation at universities. "Men and women must sit in separate rows in university," he said, while insisting his ministry was pressing ahead with plans for the "Islamisation" of the education system. "We do not want to create a wall (but) we are against the mingling of men and women based on Western styles," Daneshjoo said, adding students would not be prevented from "cooperation when it comes to acquisition of science." Health Minister Marzieh Vahid Dastjerdi also rejected gender segregation plans, saying it was unrealistic to separate male and female medical students who would have to face patients of both sexes as future doctors. Since the Islamic revolution in 1979, the number of university students has swelled about 20 times to nearly 3.5 million, according to Iranian media. Over the past decade, the number of female students in higher education has been higher than their male classmates. Girls are expected to represent nearly 60% of freshmen in the 2011 academic year.Hmmmm........Read the full story here.
- Avigdor Lieberman won’t apologize to Turkey.(Ynet).Avigdor Lieberman says extending official apology to Ankara over tragic events of first Gaza flotilla humiliating to Jerusalem. Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman said Wednesday he does not believe Israel should offer Turkey an official apology for the tragic outcome of the raid on the first Gaza flotilla. Lieberman, whose position is contrary to that of Defense Minister Ehud Barak, said that "There are some things I'm willing to discuss and some things I'm not willing to discuss. I will not have an apology harm Israel's national dignity and I will not see IDF soldiers humiliated." Vice Premier Moshe Yaalon is currently on an official visit to the United States, where he is meeting with delegates from Ankara.The results of a UN-named commission of inquiry into the events of the first flotilla are scheduled to be released this week. Israel and Turkey are struggling to phrase the report, as Ankara insists that Jerusalem offer an official apology. "We are all for ending the friction with Turkey… We have no territorial dispute with Turkey and we are willing to reach a compromise on the matter today, but an apology is not a compromise," the foreign minister said. "It's humiliating and it will abandon IDF soldiers." Speaking before the Knesset's Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee Lieberman stressed that Israel "regrets the death of activists from any country or organization. We know how far we are willing to go and we expect to see some willingness and flexibility on this compromise," he said. Turning his attention to the recent debacle pertaining to the transfer of terrorists' remains to the Palestinian Authority, which was cancelled, Lieberman said that in his opinion, the matter should never have become part of the public discourse. "This is not something that should be discussed by the public… I don't think Abu Mazen (Mahmoud Abbas) deserves any gestures by Israel." Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, he added, has "personally led some of the most offensive and despicable moves against the State of Israel, like trying to have IDF officers tried by the ICC. "The same goes for his unilateral bid in the Security Council, which he is personally pushing for. He does not deserve any gesture. On the contrary. But that too will be decided on by the proper forums." Elaborating on the Palestinian bid for statehood, the foreign minister said that Israel "is currently busy mapping out the nations that could help up achieve the 'moral majority' bloc. The Muslim nations bloc and the undecided nations make up about 130 nations and we don’t want to have any illusions. "The North America nations and the European Union are important to us. It's important to us to convey the message that a unilateral step can only harm the peace process and any chance of reaching an acceptable agreement in the Middle East."We're trying to convince them… and we have successes too, like with the flotilla and the fly-in." A unilateral Palestinian declaration will spell a unilateral response by Israel, he warned. "I wouldn’t want to find myself there. There are several unilateral responses Israel has prepared," he said.Read the full story here.
- Hamas arrests man for styling women's hair.(Ynet).The Hamas government in Gaza has arrested a man for violating a recent legislation that prohibits men from styling women's hair, the BBC reported Wednesday. The report said that following the arrest, many male hairstylists could be found loitering at the entrance to their salons, terrified of being detained as well.Last year Hamas officially announced a new law prohibiting men from styling women's hair, as it negates Sharia. Five hairstylists were arrested in February and forced to sign an affidavit renouncing the practice. The current arrest is the first known implementation of the law since then. Adnan Barakat, who has been a hairstylist for the past 27 years, was flabbergasted. "Without work I'm like a dead man. The salon can't function without me. I don't have any other work. What can I do?" he asked. Other stylists also complained about the law, as well as the secret police watching them to make sure they were not in violation.Hamas has previously attempted to pass the law but withdrew following complaints by human rights groups. The ban joins similarly befuddling laws such as the one prohibiting women from smoking hookah pipes and riding on motorbikes driven by men. Hmmmmm......Next play on the flotilla : "The Barber of Gaza".Read the full story here.
- NO you don't !Pakistan bars bin Laden family from leaving without their consent.(HurriyetDaily).A Pakistani commission investigating how Osama bin Laden lived undetected for years in the country has ordered the government not to repatriate his surviving family without its consent.Pakistan took custody of the Al-Qaeda leader's two Saudi and one Yemeni widows and around 10 of their children, after US Navy SEALs killed him and flew off with his body from the army town of Abbottabad on May 2.Pakistan has given CIA agents access to the wives but the commission's move is likely to delay their departure, after an official recently confirmed to AFP that the youngest widow, Amal Abdulfattah, could return to Yemen within days."The ministry of interior and ISI (Inter-Services Intelligence) have been directed to ensure that the family of Osama Bin Laden is not repatriated from Pakistan without the consent of the commission," the commission said.The four-member panel, chaired by a supreme court judge, has the authority to summon anyone and a security official told AFP that bin Laden's family would be no exception. There is no timeline for it to complete its investigation."They will go back eventually but perhaps until such time that investigations are complete, they would want to talk to them as well," the official told AFP on condition of anonymity."They can make demand and they will be given access," the official added.The move is likely to disappoint Abdulfattah's family, who told AFP last month in Yemen that they expected her and her children home shortly.The revelation that the world's most-wanted man lived in a garrison city just a stone's throw from a top military academy raised questions about complicity or incompetence within Pakistan's security services.The discovery that bin Laden lived in Abbottabad, seemingly for five years, and the unilateral American raid have been described by critics in Pakistan as the military's worst disaster since Bangladesh separated from Pakistan in 1971.The independent commission, which the government set up under pressure from a political opposition critical that an internal military inquiry would not be objective, has the power to summon military and civilian leaders.It also called on volunteers to submit evidence."Their identity will be kept confidential and they will also be legally protected," it said in a statement.Headed by judge Javed Iqbal, the other members of the commission are Abbas Khan, a former police commander, Ashraf Jehangir Qazi, a former UN diplomat and retired general Nadeem Ahmed, who used to head the national disaster authority.Hmmmmm.......'Disaster' indeed.Read the full story here.
- Palestinian 'Financial crisis doesn't mean we’re not ready for state'.(JPost).Fayyad says only $331m. of $970m. promised to gov't was received; Abed Rabbo accuses Arab countries of not meeting their pledges.Palestinian Authority Prime Minister Salam Fayyad said on Wednesday that the severe financial crisis his government is facing does not mean the Palestinians are ill-prepared for statehood.His announcement came as the PA civil servants received only half of their salaries due to the financial crisis.Fayyad said he would continue his efforts to solve the crisis.“This decision was taken because of the growing financial crisis in the PA over the past year,” Fayyad said. He attributed the crisis to the failure of donor countries to meet their financial commitments to the PA.Fayyad said the PA had received only $331 million of the $970m. promised by donors, including some Arab countries.He said it was ironic that the current crisis had come at a time when the PA government had succeeded in reducing its reliance on foreign aid by almost half – from $1.8 billion in 2008 to $970m. this year.“The crisis does not undermine or cast doubt on our preparedness for the establishment of the state,” Fayyad stressed.“There are many countries that face difficulties and deficits that oblige them to take measures to overcome their financial crises. Palestine is not an exception. On the contrary, we are a people living under occupation and suffering from division and its repercussions.”Fayyad voiced hope that the Arab countries would help the Palestinians overcome the crisis.PLO Secretary-General Yasser Abed Rabbo said the financial crisis in the PA was “unprecedented” and accused the Arab countries of failing to meet their pledges to help the Palestinians.Abed Rabbo told the PA’s Voice of Palestine radio station that the Palestinians were surprised by the Arab countries’ failure to assist them.“The situation has become very complicated for the Palestinian Authority because of the failure of the Arab countries to fulfill their financial promises,” he said. “This is regretful.”Abed Rabbo said the crisis would not prevent the PA from proceeding with its plan to ask the United Nations in September to recognize a Palestinian state along the pre-1967 lines.He said the PA was convinced it couldn’t rely on negotiations “to end the occupation because Israel does not want negotiations.”From 2 days ago on MFS: "Donors had pledged $971 million to the Palestinian Authority this year, but the year is half over and only $330 million has been delivered. It turns out that only the UAE, Algeria, and Oman have met the pledges they made years ago via the Arab League. The rest, including the vastly wealthy Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, are delinquent"Note in this overview of donated US Aid to Palestine that the more money they recieve the lower their GDP becomes!Now guess according to the numbers when Obama became president.Read the full story here.
- Taliban starting Automn fashion line: Bombs Beneath the Burqa.(FrontpageMagazine).There they all stand, guilty as sin, Afghan Taliban terrorists disguised in women’s burqas—but exposed when they were captured by the Afghan Border Police. Their photo (or rather photos) were taken by an Afghan photographer somewhere near Jalalabad and have just been seen worldwide.One of these charmers was wearing an explosive vest; six had AK-47s. Clearly they were up to no good. One wonders how long they will remain in jail and what they will do when they emerge.These photographs conclusively validate the concern that Dr. Daniel Pipes has had about the security risk that burqas represent. For the last six years, Dr. Pipes has been detailing the number of common criminals and Islamist terrorists who have robbed jewelry stories and peeped into women’s bathrooms while wearing burqas, or who have blown themselves and others up from under the protective cover of a mere woman’s shroud.Read the full story here.
- The good old Sharia way 63,000 Saudis may face prison in two years for failing to pay their debts.(CrossroadsArabia).JEDDAH: Abdullah Bin Mahfoudh, Chairman of the Prisoner Care Committee in the Jeddah Region, has said that some 63,000 Saudis could face prison over the next two years for failing to pay back debts.Bin Mahfoudh told Al-Hayat Arabic daily that Saudi individuals have racked up some SR3 billion in owed monies.“None of them are able to pay the debts back, according to information from SIMAH,” he said, in reference to the Saudi Credit Bureau, a body providing consumer and commercial credit information services in the Kingdom and operating under the supervision of the Saudi Arabian Monetary Agency (SAMA).Bin Mahfoudh said that his committee has asked the Shoura Council to study the issue “in view of the threat it poses”.Hmmmm.......Read the full story here.
- ‘Blasphemy, Blasphemy Mucho’*—Islamintern Denounces Islamo-realistic Free Speech in Holland.(BigPeace).Bat Ye’or has appositely characterized Geert Wilder’s recent acquittal as a “Copernican revolution,” achieved by a solitary “unarmed man, constantly threatened by death and whose only defense was his courageous and unbending commitment to say the truth.”It is a bitter irony that on the same day Bat Ye’or’s essay was published a pathognomonic communiqué was released by foreign ministers of the Islamintern—the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC)—whose member states were meeting in Astana, Kazakhstan.
The communiqué claimed “a number of Dutch politicians” had insulted Islam and its prophet Muhammad, accusing them of the invented “crime” of “Islamophobia.”
Turkish OIC Secretary General Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu issued a separate statement condemning—and threatening Dutch Parliamentarian Geert Wilders:
Wilders has taken a dangerous path, endangering the peace and harmony of civilizations by spreading hate against Islam and Muslims in his own country as well as in other European countries. Insult to Islam and to the honored Prophet of Islam, Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH), has reached a stage that can no longer be tolerated under any pretext, including freedom of speech.
Demonstrating once again that Wilders is a politician of rare courage, he has now challenged his own Dutch Prime Minister, and the Minister of Foreign Affairs to respond appropriately to the statements of the OIC, and Ihsanoglu:
- Have you seen the intimidating statement of the OIC Secretary General, Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, about me and the OIC report “Fourth OIC observatory report on islamophobia” about statements made by various Dutch politicians?
- Do you agree that the OIC has vastly overstepped the boundaries with these intimidating statements and do you agree with me that a Dutch politician should have the right to criticise Islam and multiculturalism in a public debate, as was confirmed during my political trial by the court decision of June 23rd?
- Are you prepared to explain to the OIC member countries that criticism of Islam and freedom of speech are essential in a democratic society under the rule of law? If not, why not?
- Do you share the opinion that criticism, such as that of an organization like the OIC, is hypocrite and despicable given that the OIC in article 24 of its own Cairo Declaration on Human Rights explicitly states that all rights and freedoms are subject to Islamic Shari’ah law? If not, why not?
- Are you prepared in the short term to distance yourself publicly in strong wordings of this report and of the intimidating statement of the OIC secretary general? If not, why not?
- Will you make it clear once and for all to the OIC that the Netherlands will not accept to be lectured by an institution such as the OIC which makes human rights subject to the barbaric Shari’ah, and that we will not allow our fundamental freedoms and our freedom of speech to be restricted? If not, why not?
- Are you prepared to answer these questions this week
Writing in the early 1990s, the esteemed Pakistani scholar Muhammad Asrar, whose opinion was accepted by Pakistan’s Shari’a Court, defined “blasphemy,” focusing on the Muslim prophet, as:
Reviling or insulting the Prophet (pbuh) in writing or speech; speaking profanely or contemptuously about him or his family; attacking the Prophet’s dignity and honor in an abusive manner; vilifying him or making an ugly face when his named is mentioned; showing enmity or hatred towards him, his family, his companions, and the Muslims; accusing, or slandering the Prophet and his family, including spreading evil reports about him or his family; defaming the Prophet; refusing the Prophet’s jurisdiction or judgment in any manner; rejecting the Sunnah; showing disrespect, contempt for or rejection of the rights of Allah and His Prophet or rebelling against Allah and His Prophet.And in accord with classical Islamic jurisprudence, for example, The Risala of al-Qayrawani (d. 996)—a jurist in mythically “tolerant” Muslim Spain—Madani argues that anyone who defames Muhammad—Muslim or non-Muslim—must be put to death. Dr. Patrick Sookhdeo has documented how this orthodox Islamic doctrine –incorporated into the Pakistani legal code (Section 295-C, “defiling the name of Muhammad”)—has wreaked havoc, particularly among Pakistan’s small Christian minority community: …the blasphemy law is felt to be a sword of Damocles and has developed a huge symbolic significance which contributes substantially to the atmosphere of intimidation of Christians. The detrimental effect of the law…is most dramatically illustrated by the incident at Shanti Nagar in February 1997 in which tens of thousands of rioting Muslims destroyed hundreds of Christian homes, and other Christian property, following an accusation of blasphemy. Furthermore the blasphemy has engendered a wave of private violence. Equating blasphemy with apostasy and influenced by the tradition of direct violent action and self-help which goes back to the earliest times of Islam, some Muslims feel they are entitled to enforce the death penalty themselves.Secretary General Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu and his OIC foreign ministry colleagues—spearheaded by OIC stalwart, Pakistan—want to impose this same Sharia-based system, antithetical to the US Bill of Rights, on all of humanity, including the 4/5 of world’s population that is non-Muslim. This irredentist OIC mindset remains unchanged from what Beaumarchais described in the Marriage of Figaro freedom of speech monologue in Act V, Scene 3, at the close of the 18th century, more than two centuries ago:
I cobble together a verse comedy about the customs of the harem, assuming that, as a Spanish writer, I can say what I like about Mohammed without drawing hostile fire. Next thing, some envoy from God knows where turns up and complains that in my play I have offended the Ottoman empire, Persia, a large slice of the Indian peninsula, the whole of Egypt, and the kingdoms of Barca [Ethiopia], Tripoli, Tunisia, Algeria, and Morocco. And so my play sinks without trace, all to placate a bunch of Muslim princes, not one of whom, as far as I know, can read but who beat the living daylights out of us and say we are “Christian dogs.” Since they can’t stop a man thinking, they take it out on his hide instead. Wilders’ Islamo-realistic free speech has provided a healthy dose of long overdue criticism of the direct nexus between Muhammad’s actions, and jihadism, which may prove therapeutic for the cowering West. Hope springs eternal.Read the full story here.
- Related - Dutch government dissociates itself from OIC demands to silence a politician.From ANP (Dutch press agency): The Dutch Minister of Foreign Affairs, Uri Rosenthal, dissociates himself from a call by the Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC) to the Dutch government to stop the “campaign of hatred” of PVV leader Geert Wilders.“The Dutch government dissociates itself fully from the request to silence a politician. The Netherlands have a very high regard for freedom of speech,” Rosenthal said on Wednesday.Read the full story here.
Wednesday, July 6, 2011
‘Whites Are Liars’ — Audacity of Racism: Obama’s 20-Year Mentor Rev. Wright Tells Church Youth All Whites Are Liars…Over and Over in a Long Sound Bite.
- Japan : For the most accurate info on the nuclear disaster go to : Paul Langley's Nuclear History Blog.Here.
- Guildhall dinner in honour of Ronald Reagan's centenary who's Absent?Obama's reprsentative the US ambassador.(Thisislondon).It was one of the most glittering events of the year, attracting some of the greatest names in American and British politics.But as the British roasted lamb and the sunny Californian chardonnay were cleared away, one notable absence was the hottest topic among guests at the Guildhall dinner in honour of Ronald Reagan's centenary.Where was the American ambassador to London, Louis B Susman?He had, it soon transpired, been invited. But despite a guest list that boasted four British Cabinet ministers, ex-Prime Minister, nine US congressmen and a senator and former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, there was no sign of President Obama's representative in London. And in a warm atmosphere evoking the closest days of the special Anglo-US relationship of the Eighties, the surprise at Mr Susman's absence turned to annoyance."Our ambassador should be here," said Lynn de Rothschild, the American entrepreneur who is married to Sir Evelyn de Rothschild and was one of Hillary Clinton's key fundraisers in 2008 as well as a supporter of several Republican presidential candidates. "This was an historic dinner to mark Reagan's centenary and to celebrate him as the man who ended the Cold War. What could not be more important?"Why is our ambassador not here on Independence Day? No excuse. How is it that America is not represented in this room by our ambassador? It is appalling that no representative of our government is in this room. This has the feel of petty partisanship."Where indeed? Mr Susman had been at the unveiling of a statue of Reagan in Grosvenor Square earlier in the day, and had hosted a generous breakfast for the entire VIP visiting party and the military band, so he had certainly not snubbed the grand centenary events. According to the US embassy spokesman: "Ambassador Susman was pleased to be invited to the dinner but was unable to attend."Hmmmmm.........Read the full story here.
- ExxonMobil pipeline bursts, spilling crude oil into Yellowstone River.(NWProgressive).An ExxonMobil pipeline running under the Yellowstone River in south central Montana ruptured late Friday, spilling crude oil into the river and forcing evacuations.As if we needed another reminder that the oil industry is a dirty industry…The pipeline burst about 10 miles west of Billings, coating parts of the Yellowstone River that run past Laurel — a town of about 6,500 people downstream from the rupture — with shiny patches of oil. Precisely how much oil leaked into the river was still unclear. But throughout the day Saturday, cleanup crews in Laurel worked to lessen the impact of the spill, laying down absorbent sheets along the banks of the river to mop up some of the escaped oil, and measuring fumes to determine the health threat.Of course, ExxonMobil is very, very, very sorry about all of this.EMPCo deeply regrets this release and is working hard with local emergency authorities to mitigate the impacts of this release on the surrounding communities and to the environment.The release originated from a 12″ crude pipeline operated by EMPCo that runs from Silver Tip to Billings. The pipeline has been shut down and the segment where the release occurred has been isolated. All appropriate state and federal authorities have been alerted.When a drilling rig blows up, when a pipeline bursts, or when a supertanker runs aground due to a careless crew, the ramifications are incredibly destructive. We know because we’ve seen this happen before. Some communities have tragically experienced the consequences firsthand.Each time a disaster happens, the company responsible apologizes and promises to clean up its mess and compensate those affected.Politicians vow to hold the company responsible accountable and press for tougher safety regulations. But inevitably, none of this talk leads to a safer or cleaner industry. Because preventable accidents keep happening.Since humans make mistakes, drilling (or mining) for fossil fuels is an inherently unsafe business… a business that needs to be made illegal.As long as the fossil fuel industry continues to operate in this country, we are going to be subjected to more environmental disasters. The time has come for us to recognize that our ways are not sustainable, and channel our resources into the development of clean, safe, distributed renewable energy. Only then will incidents like this begin to disappear from our headlines.Hmmmmmm........And everyone will drive an electric dinky toy ....ooooh look a unicorn.Read the full 'story' here.
- Documents just released by Social security Administration appear to indicate falsified SSN application for Stanley Ann Dunham!(ThePostAndMail).A report from early 2009 stated that Stanley Ann Dunham’s social security number has been used by a woman in Washington State “all her life.” The same social security number, 535-40-8522, appears on passport applications released through a FOIA request to Mr. Christopher Strunk last summer, although there was one occurrence in which the box was left blank.Read and see the full story here.
- FROM ORLY TAITZ: Letter from SSA shows an invalid application form for Ann Dunham.(BirtherReport).I received today a letter from the Social Security administration. It provided years when social security revised its forms. As you can see, there was no revision in 1955, however the form allegedly submitted by Stanley Ann Dunham to the Social Security administration, shows on the bottom non-existent revision date of 1955.As I provided judge Lamberth originally, Dunham’s application shows similar signs of forgery as Obama’s BC. If you look at the revision date, you can see that two numbers 5 are different, different type settings are used. Additionally, I provided judge Lamberth with examples of SS-5 forms, submitted in 1959, at the time this application was allegedly submitted. Those forms were different. All evidence points to the fact, that not only Obama, but also, his mother, Ann Dunham, used invalid or fraudulently obtained or forged documents. This is the biggest breach of the US National security, the biggest crime ever to be perpetrated upon this nation. If the judge does not grant my FOIA request, he will be complicit to the crimes perpetrated by Obama.Hmmmm.......Communist agent?Read and see the full story here.
- Another Obama landgrab?White House Takes Aim at Rural America by Executive Order.(EmergingCorruption).Where, exactly, does the U.S. Constitution authorize the federal government to create “sustainable communities” to: … expand access to the capital necessary for economic growth, promote innovation, improve access to health care and education, and expand outdoor recreational activities on public lands.Clearly, the Constitution provides no such authority, and the 10th Amendment prohibits the federal government from engaging in activity not explicitly enumerated and authorized in the Constitution. This fact meant nothing to Bill Clinton, who created the President’s Council on Sustainable Development by executive order. Nor does this fact have meaning to Barack Hussein Obama.On June 9, 2011, by Executive Order 13575, Obama created the White House Rural Council. This new council consists of 25 Cabinet secretaries – or their designee – and is chaired by the secretary of Agriculture. The mission of the council is to: … work across executive departments, agencies, and offices to coordinate development of policy recommendations to promote economic prosperity and quality of life in rural America, and shall coordinate my Administration’s engagement with rural communities.Anyone who has ever had cow manure on his boots knows full well that until the federal government decided to get “engaged” with rural communities to improve the quality of life for the poor souls who live in fly-over county, farming and ranching fed the nation. Rural America provided the resources that fueled unprecedented prosperity. Not until the government showed up to help did rural families begin to suffer.Obama’s new White House Rural Council has the potential to be much worse than anything Franklin Roosevelt ever dreamed about. In 1992, the U.N. produced a 40-chapter, non-binding policy document called Agenda 21. This document sets forth recommendations to transform capitalism and a free republic into an administrative unit of global governance. Bill Clinton’s PCSD began imposing these policies on American towns and cities in the mid-1990s. Obama’s new council is designed to continue and expand the implementation of these policies into the hinterland.Remember the National Animal Identification System, which USDA said was being abandoned. Ha! It’s back. This new council will have the effect of multi-jurisdictional enforcement. Simply put, if a rancher or farmer fights too hard against the new USDA electronic identification system, the rancher can and will be identified throughout every agency in the council and forced to submit to inspections and enforcement of every rule and regulation imaginable. This is multi-jurisdictional enforcement.Obama’s ultimate goal is to assure that government has ultimate control of every square inch of land, every business activity, the curriculum in every school and, ultimately, the information that may be conveyed on the public airways.This is the goal of Agenda 21. Its recommendations are designed to produce this outcome. The program is called “Sustainable Development,” which means in real terms “government-approved” development. Every recommendation in Agenda 21 requires government enforcement. Any activity that is preceded by the word “Sustainable,” should be recognized as a “government-controlled” activity.Sustainable Development brings the concept of “Amortization of Non-Conforming Uses.” This means that, over time, the right of private landowners to occupy their houses will automatically be extinguished, and owners will be forced to leave their property without just compensation. This is happening in both urban and rural areas of the country. One of the more blatant examples was revealed in an article published by the LA Weekly News, June 23: “L.A. County’s Private Property War.”Countless L.A. County property owners have been victimized by armed NATs (Nuisance Abatement Teams) issuing citations for “living on the land illegally” and other equally ridiculous code violations. This is on land the victim owns. The code violations arise from new codes that comply with Agenda 21. These codes did not exist when the homes in Antelope Valley were built 20 and 30 years ago. Owners have had the time since the new codes were adopted, until recently, to bring their structures up to code. Those who failed to do so have now effectively lost their property to the county – without compensation. The fact that the land owners had no idea these ridiculous codes had been adopted is no excuse. This is “Amortization of Non-Conforming Uses.”This is “Agenda 21′s Sustainable Development” operating in the rural areas of Los Angeles County. This is what the rest of rural America can expect from the White House Rural Council in the months and years ahead.Hmmmm.......Now compare to this 2008 map.Read and see the full story here.
- Obama tries to stop execution in Texas of Mexican killer, doesn't care about Hamas prisoner Gilad Shalit.(Guardian).US president warns Texan authorities that execution would put America in breach of international legal obligations.President Barack Obama is attempting to block the execution in Texas on Thursday of a Mexican man because it would breach an international convention and do "irreparable harm" to US interests.The White House has asked the US supreme court to put the execution of Humberto Leal Garcia on hold while Congress passes a law that would prevent the convicted rapist and murderer from being put to death along with dozens of other foreign nationals who were denied proper access to diplomatic representation before trials for capital crimes.The administration moved after the governor of Texas, Rick Perry, brushed aside appeals from diplomats, top judges, senior military officers, the United Nations and former president George W Bush to stay Leal's execution because it could jeopardise American citizens arrested abroad as well as US diplomatic interests.Leal, 38, was convicted in 1994 of the rape and murder of a 16-year-old girl in San Antonio. Few question that he was responsible for the killing but the Texas authorities failed to tell Leal, who was born in Mexico and has lived in the US since the age of two, that under the Vienna convention he was entitled to contact the Mexican consulate when he was arrested. The legal situation has been complicated by earlier court rulings.In 2004, the international court of justice (ICJ) ruled that the US authorities had failed to meet its legal obligations to 51 Mexicans awaiting execution in American prisons when they were not informed of their right to contact their consulates.The then president, George W Bush, a former Texas governor who backs the death penalty, said the US would adhere to the ICJ ruling which, in effect, meant the death sentences would be reviewed or commuted. But in 2008 the supreme court ruled that while the US government was obliged to comply with the ICJ ruling it did not have the power to force individual American states to do so. Only Congress could require adherence by passing a law.The Obama administration has told the supreme court that a bill has recently been introduced in to the Senate to do just that but it is unlikely to win the approval of both houses of Congress before next year. The White House wants Leal's execution put on hold until the law is passed but two courts have already ruled that pending legislation has no effect on the legal process.The UN high commissioner for human rights, Navi Pillay, has appealed to Perry to commute Leal's sentence to life imprisonment.Christof Heyns, the UN special rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions said that if Leal was put to death it would be "tantamount to an arbitrary deprivation of life".Perry's office has said Texas laws had been abided by and that Leal would be executed for "the most heinous of crimes".Hmmmm..........Read the full story here.
- Coming to a ATM near you: "No God but Allah" Dollar bill?(GraniteGrok).This is going to put the Left into quite the quandary!It has been proven in a variety of polls that Lefties tend to trend much more secular than those on the Right. Problem in this case, Progressives are trying to remove God from the public square in their zest to keep us all free from religion (as opposed to the establishment of religion as in the First Amendment), which in my estimation is that they are continuing to establish secular humanism as a religion).Lately, however, but we've seen the Lefty useful idiots "protect" Islam (or is the proper word "use"?) as a victimized identity group (even as FBI stats show that Jews are most likely to be attacked). So, how would the Left rationalize this? Islamists want no God but Allah - they also are not keen on the idea of "no God" either (the Left's seeming adherence to remove "In God We Trust" on our currency, the practice of religion in the public square (except when it benefits them not to), and we've seen President Obama, on several occasions, delete the use of "the Creator" when speaking / quoting the Declaration of Independence. And who is going to go track down who is doing this? After all, it is a purposeful and willful defacing of our currency (and against the law)? Hmmmm......Lets bring back the Gold Standard.Read the full story here.
- Germany's high court on Tuesday began hearing a Legal Challenge to Greece Aid.'The Greeks Would Be Well Advised to Exit the Euro Zone'.(Spiegel).Germany's high court on Tuesday began hearing a legal challenge to the 110-billion-euro aid package provided to debt-stricken Greece in 2010. Retired economics professor Joachim Starbatty is one of those behind the case -- and he expects the court to prove him right.
SPIEGEL ONLINE: Mr. Starbatty, the Greek parliament last week passed a €78 billion package of austerity measures in return for billions more in aid from the European Union.
Starbatty: By approving the package, the parliament decided against the will of the people. But only because it was blackmailed by Greece's partners in the euro zone .
SPIEGEL ONLINE: Is it not legitimate for governments in Europe's common currency zone to want to see a Greek contribution to solving the problem before releasing billions in aid money?
Starbatty: The financial assistance is only there to save the European banking industry. The EU is throwing massive amounts of good money after bad. But it is the Greek people who must endure the brutal belt-tightening measures. I don't consider that to be legitimate.
SPIEGEL ONLINE: Should the German high court side with your view and no longer allow Germany to participate in providing financial assistance to debt-stricken euro-zone countries, Greece would likely become insolvent in a hurry. The monetary union as a whole would also be endangered.
Starbatty: Greece is already broke. The country needs to be given a chance to get back on its feet economically. I expect the court will establish parameters in order to limit the economic nonsense.
SPIEGEL ONLINE: What exactly do you mean by that?
Starbatty: The aid will remain, but the German parliament will in the future have to approve every further credit tranche .
SPIEGEL ONLINE: Were Greece to exit the euro zone, wouldn't the financial markets take aim at other deeply indebted countries and trigger a collapse of the entire currency union?
Starbatty: This "domino theory" only exists to mislead people. Will Finland or the Netherlands fall too? Only those countries that are already deeply in debt are affected. Any further delay will merely drive up the costs.Read the full story here.
- UK - Islamic extremists want to establish independent states with sharia law in Dewsbury, Bradford and Tower Hamlets.(DailyMail).Islamic extremists have called on British Muslims to establish three independent states within the UK.The notorious Muslims Against the Crusades (MAC) group have named Yorkshire towns Bradford and Dewsbury and Tower Hamlets in East London as testbeds for blanket sharia rule.The medieval 'emirates' would operate entirely outside British law, according to a document on the MAC website.The MAC group, led by Abu Assadullah, was set up last year and has become notorious because of its violent protests, most provocatively burning poppies during the Remembrance Day silence.Under the heading 'Muslims should set up Islamic emirates in the UK', MAC says: 'We suggest it is time that areas with large Muslim populations declare an emirate delineating that Muslims trying to live within this area are trying to live by the sharia as much as possible with their own courts and community watch and schools and even self sufficient trade.'Likely areas for these projects might be Dewsbury or Bradford or Tower Hamlets to begin with. 'In time we can envisage that the whole of the sharia might one day be implemented starting with these enclaves.' The call is likely to cause anger among moderate Muslims and community leaders in the areas concerned.Ian Greenwood, leader of Bradford Council, said people would 'not allow extremists to provoke them into violence'.London 7/7 bomber Mohammad Sidique Khan lived in Dewsbury, which has battled to diffuse extremism in recent years. In 2007, it was alleged that a number of Muslims in Dewsbury were running an illegal Islamic court from a school and similar claims have been made in Tower Hamlets and Bradford. Tower Hamlets council was last year accused of falling under the control of extremist groups following a documentary by the Daily Telegraph journalist Andrew Gilligan.The plan is part of the MAC's response to the government's revised Prevent strategy to combat Islamic extremism.In its document, called Islamic Prevent, the fanatics also call for an end to CCTV cameras in and around mosques. It says: 'Muslims must get rid of all CCTV cameras from Muslim institutions. Sadly many mosques have today adopted CCTV cameras to spy on Muslims on behalf of the police and local authorities.' Other inflammatory instructions include demanding the release of all Muslim prisoners, a ban on Muslims joining the police or armed forces and a rejection of British democracy.The document ends: 'We can conclude that measures by the UK government are nothing more than an attempt by them to strip the Muslim community of their Islamic identity and to integrate them into the non-Islamic way of life.'Tower Hamlets and Kirklees Council, the local authority for Dewsbury, refused to comment. Hmmmmm......What happened to :"We don't want to take over your country"?Read the full story here.
- "Food Jihad"? Experts : German E Coli outbreak contamination originated in Egypt!(Seattlepi).LONDON (AP) — Contaminated Egyptian fenugreek seeds are likely the source of Europe's deadly E. coli outbreaks, health experts warned Thursday, predicting there could be more infections from seeds still in the food chain.The tainted seeds may be behind the massive food poisoning outbreak in Germany beginning in May that has killed 49 people and infected over 4,000 in 15 countries, as well as a much smaller outbreak in France in June. More than 800 people have also developed a life-threatening kidney complication after catching the bug.On Thursday, the national French laboratory said the E. coli strain that sickened 15 people in Bordeaux is genetically similar to the one in Germany. The World Health Organization said this increased the proof that the outbreaks were linked, but scientists still haven't found any contaminated seeds."There's no smoking gun," Ian Henderson, a professor of microbial biology at the University of Birmingham, told The Associated Press on Thursday. "But it would be unusual to have the same rare strain found in Germany and France without some link."Fenugreek leaves are commonly used as an herb and also in curry.If the fenugreek seeds were contaminated at the source — during production in Egypt — they could have been freeze-dried before being sold, allowing the E. coli bacteria to live for years. Once water is added to grow the fenugreek sprouts, the entire sprout would be infected and washing wouldn't help get rid of the potentially deadly bacteria.Osterholm said the seeds could also cross-contaminate other products or be sold in a seed mix.The European Food Safety Authority recommends that people stop growing their own sprouts and not eat any type of sprouts unless they're thoroughly cooked.European food safety and health officials have asked Germany and France to quickly find out where seeds from the suspected contaminated Egyptian batch may have been sold. French farmers apparently bought their seeds from Thompson and Morgan, a large British mail-order company.Thompson and Morgan said their supplier bought fenugreek sprouting seeds from Egypt, which were then exclusively sold into a French garden market. The company does not sell sprouting seeds to commercial farms.Germany's consumer protection and food safety agency refused to say Thursday whether the organic farm in northern Germany implicated in the deadly E. coli outbreak used seeds from Egypt or whether other German farms had received Egyptian seeds. However, the agency said it was investigating the report.Experts said it was crucial to trace exactly where the bad seeds ended up but that doing so would be very difficult."They might have shipped over a couple of tons of seeds from Egypt, but it could have just been a small amount of seeds that were contaminated," explained Stephen Smith, a microbiologist at Trinity College in Dublin. "And then some of that shipment goes to Germany, France, and maybe lots of other countries."Smith said it was likely only a small batch of the seeds were contaminated, which might explain why the new E. coli cases are appearing sporadically."We will probably see more cases, but hopefully not on the scale of the German outbreak," he said.Hmmmm..............Read the full story here.
- Related - EU withdraws Egyptian seeds from market and temporarily bans their import.(Al-Arabia).The European Union is withdrawing from the market, and temporarily banning the import of, certain types of seeds from Egypt after Egyptian fenugreek seeds were linked to the E. coli outbreaks (O104 strain) in northern Germany and Bordeaux, France. The decision follows a European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) report, published earlier Tuesday, establishing a link between the outbreaks and seeds from Egypt.Fenugreek seeds imported from Egypt may be the source of highly toxic E. coli outbreaks in Germany and France that have killed at least 48 people, according to investigations by European scientists.More than 4,000 people across Europe and in North America have been infected in the deadliest outbreak of E. coli so far recorded, which began in early May. Almost all of those sickened lived in Germany or had recently travelled there. The German outbreak and a smaller cluster of E. coli near the French city of Bordeaux have both been linked to the seeds. Experts from the Sweden-based European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) and the Italy-based European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) said initial investigations suggested that the consumption of sprouts is the suspected vehicle of infection in both the French cluster and the German outbreak. “The tracing back is progressing and has thus far shown that fenugreek seeds imported from Egypt either in 2009 and/or 2010 are implicated in both outbreaks,” the scientists said.Hmmmm.........Human error , Accidental or ......Food jihad?Read the full story here.
- Syria accused of crimes against humanity.(Al-Jazeera). Amnesty International says it has gathered proof of such crimes by the government in the northern town of Tall Kalakh.The Syrian government's violent suppression of the revolt against its rule could amount to a systematic campaign of crimes against humanity, a human rights group has said.London-based Amnesty International says it has gathered proof of such crimes by the government in the northern town of Tall Kalakh.The organisation called for the UN Security Council to refer the Syrian government's massive repression, which has come in response to continuing protests against President Bashar al-Assad's rule, to the prosecutor of the International Criminal Court, in a report released on Wednesday morning."The willingness of the international community to take action on Libya in the name of human rights has highlighted its double standards on Syria," Philip Luther, Amnesty International's Middle East and North Africa deputy director, said.The testimony gathered from witnesses from Tall Kalakh suggests systematic and targeted abuses aimed at trampling dissent, Luther said."Most of the crimes described in this report would fall within the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court," Luther said."But the UN Security Council must first refer the situation in Syria to the Court's Prosecutor."In a pattern followed in towns across the country since the wave of protests began, army and security forces entered Tall Kalakh on May 14 after a demonstration against the government, Amnesty said.Security forces fired indiscriminately on civilians, killing eight. Scores of men and boys were arrested, most of them tortured, according to evidence collected by Amnesty. Some of them remain in detention, weeks later.Rights groups say that more than 1,300 civilians have been killed and 10,000 people arrested by security forces since the revolt against Assad began in mid-March.The Amnesty report comes as the Syrian government turns its attentions to the central city of Hama.Tanks were still surrounding Hama, days after it witnessed some of the biggest protests against Assad's rule since the recent uprising started. The attacks focused on two districts north of the Orontes River, which splits the city of 650,000 people in half.Some residents of Hama, scene of a crackdown by Assad's father nearly 30 years ago, had sought to halt any military advance by blocking roads between neighbourhoods with garbage containers, and by burning tyres, wood and metal.In response to the amplified violence in Hama, world leaders have threatened to increase the pressure on Syria."Violent repression in Hama will only further undermine the regime's legitimacy and raise serious questions about whether it is committed to the reforms it has recently announced," William Hague, the British foreign minister, said in a statement on Tuesday."The UK has made clear that President Assad must reform or step aside. If the regime continues to choose the path of brutal repression, pressure from the international community will only increase."The US, meanwhile, called on Syria to withdraw its forces from Hama."We urge the government of Syria to immediately halt its intimidation and arrest campaign, to pull its security forces back from Hama and other cities, and to allow Syrians to express their opinions freely so that a genuine transition to democracy can take place," Victoria Nuland, a spokesperson for the US state department, said.Nuland said Washington was "very concerned about the ongoing attacks against peaceful demonstrators in Syria".France, which has taken a tougher stance on Syria than its Western allies, said on Tuesday there were signs Russia was beginning to question its Syrian stance after seeing Assad continue the bloody crackdown.Russia has opposed a French-led UN Security Council draft resolution, which condemns Assad's government and urges it to adopt rapid change, but stops short of imposing sanctions or allow military action.Moscow has accused Western countries of exploiting the Security Council resolution that authorised limited military intervention in Libya and says it fears that could happen again in Syria.Alain Juppe, France’s foreign affairs minister, attempted to sway his Russian counterpart, Sergei Lavrov, in Moscow last week, but said on Tuesday that Russia was still threatening to use a veto against the resolution."I pointed out that there was nothing in it that resembles paragraph 4 [of the Libya resolution], but I still haven't convinced him [Lavrov]," Juppe told the French parliament's foreign affairs commission."I think the point of no return has been crossed and the ability for Assad to make reforms today is zero in view of what has happened," Juppe said."But to facilitate the emergence of a consensus at the UN Security Council we accepted to once again address Assad and to ask him to sign up to reforms."France has also failed to convince South Africa, India and Brazil to vote in favour, leaving the resolution short of the minimum 11 of 15 votes it feels it needs to submit the resolution.Hmmmmmm........Assad the "Reformer" as hillary and erdogan used to call him,Done lots of 'reforming' lately?Read the full story here, Video report by Israel Matzav here.
- Gaza flotilla - French flotilla boat slips trough the maze, sets sail for Gaza.(Al-Jazeera).A French boat has set sail for Gaza in the latest attempt by activists to deliver aid to the Palestinian territory, according to a journalist aboard the vessel.The Dignite al Karama, which slipped past Greek authorities overnight is, thus far, the only boat in a flotilla organised by pro-Palestinian activists to successfully sail for Gaza, with most confined to ports in Greece.The vessel's passengers include Olivier Besancenot, head of the New Left Party in France, French politician and member of the European Parliament Nicole Kiil-Nilsen, and other well-known French personalities."We are about 20 minutes from international waters, and when we arrive there, the organisers on the boat will decide what their next move is," Quentin Girard, a journalist with the French newspaper Liberation, told Al Jazeera from aboard the boat.Girard said that the activists on the boat want to go to Gaza, but are waiting to decide if they will go once the boat arrives in international waters."I think they will go if the international committee for the flotilla encourages them to go," Girard said.Meanwhile, the captain of a US ship, who was arrested by Greek authorities, was released on Tuesday and all charges against him dropped, Al Jazeera's Jamal Elshayyal reported from Athens."He has not been fined for anything, and he is a free man. This after Greek authorities arrested him or detained him late on Friday as he tried to bring his ship out and take the passengers to Gaza," Elshayyal said.The Audacity of Hope, also part of the so-called 'Freedom Flotilla', set sail on Friday from the Greek port of Perama and was towed back to shore by the Greek coast guard."Many viewed that the case today would be indicative of how likely it would be that this flotilla would actually set sail altogether," Elshayyal said. "And it seems that there is reason for optimism on the part of the participants, since now their captain has been set free."Greece's coast guard said on Saturday that the captain of The Audacity of Hope faced charges of trying to leave port without permission and of endangering the lives of the boat's passengers.The US boat is one of nine vessels carrying several hundred activists attempting to deliver aid to Gaza. Some of the passengers on the US ship have remained on board in solidarity with the jailed captain.On June 24, an anonymous complaint was filed against the ship's "seaworthiness". The Israel Law Centre (Shurat HaDin), took responsibility for the complaint in the Israeli media.On Monday, a Canadian boat, the Tahrir, was forced to return to harbour in Crete after an attempt to reach international waters was thwarted by the coast guard, according to onboard activists.The Tahrir sailed 15 minutes out of harbour before it was intercepted, activists told Al Jazeera.The coast guard ship pursued the Tahrir, using water cannons and eventually boarding the ship.Ehab Lotayef, spokesperson and coordinator for the Canadian boat, told Al Jazeera from Montreal that the two kayakers and a Canadian-Jewish activist, Sandra Rush, whose name was on the boat papers, were being held.According to Lotayef, everyone else on the boat remained aboard through the night. On Tuesday, the Greek prosecutor was on board taking statements from the activists.The group of activists in Corfu seemed to have all but exhausted their attempts to comply with the necessary paperwork for getting official permission to leave port.In a meeting on Tuesday, the Corfu group discussed staging local demonstrations against the Greek blockade of their flotilla, but did not disclose the nature of the planned protest.Most activists in the group seemed to reject the idea of breaking out of port, while the captain of the ship said he did not want to copy other breakouts out of fear of jeopardising his sailing license.Hmmmmm.......Back, ye scurvy dogs!or we will be 'placin' the black spot'?Read the full story here.
- Turkey’s ambitious religious imam-hatip schooled Erdogan not a tolerant man.(Al-Arabia). Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s apparent political ambitions to become president with increased powers are not in the country’s interests because of his “dangerous intolerance of criticism,” The Economist’s European editor told a London audience on Tuesday.The editor, John Peet, described Mr. Erdogan as possibly the most important Turk since the founder of the republic, Kemal Ataturk, but said his goal of creating a strong presidency, apparently with himself at the helm, are “somewhat worrying.”He said Mr. Erdogan appeared determined to stay in power for a long time, hinting during the recent national election campaign that he hoped to be president in 2023, the 100th anniversary of the republic.“His party and he have shown they are intolerant of criticism. They don’t like opposition,” Mr. Peet told a meeting of the Royal Institute of International Affairs. He noted that Turkey ranks 138th in the world in the international press freedom index. The Turkish Journalists Association says 58 journalists are in jail, more than in China.The Economist has come under heavy criticism from Mr. Erdogan’s supporters because it endorsed the country’s main opposition party, the Republican People’s Party, in the recent election. Mr. Peet said he was surprised anyone in Turkey even noticed.He noted that the Turkish economy has enjoyed “fantastic success” since the 2001 meltdown in which the government had to call in the International Monetary Fund. It now has the world’s 16th largest economy and could become one of the top 10, he said, moving from basket case to what he called the China of Europe.But he said Turkey has a worryingly large current account deficit, the economy is overheating, unemployment remains just under 10 per cent and the country has been reluctant to embrace reforms in such areas as labor markets and minimum wages.He acknowledged that the Constitution, a military-dictated document dating from 1982, needs updating but questioned Mr. Erdogan’s goal of a presidency based on the French model. “The problem I have with Turkey is autocracy and intolerance of criticism,” he said. He noted that, after the election, Mr. Erdogan promised to work with the opposition on writing a new Constitution but has since become involved in controversy with opposition parties that refuse to take their parliamentary seats because some of their members have been jailed. As for the Kurds, he suggested the government is better at conflict than conflict resolution. It has taken some helpful steps in appeasing the Kurds, he said, but Mr. Erdogan’s opposition to centralization is “worrying.”Turkey and Israel will never go back to their relationship of 10 years ago, he said, but it would be helpful if Turkey could play a mediating role between Israel and its Arab neighbors.He said Turks recognize that their future is with the European Union, but their country’s prospects of joining the EU look “pretty remote” because of opposition from French President Nicolas Sarkozy and some other EU leaders. He expressed hope that Mr. Sarkozy would be toppled in French elections next year.Turkey’s EU prospects might be improved by movement in resolving the Cyprus impasse, he said, but noted there is little sign of concessions by either Greek Cypriots or Turkish Cypriots. The United Nations may be tempted to give up trying to resolve the conflict, he said.Hmmmmm.........Mr. Erdogan appeared determined to stay in power for a long time.Read the full story here.
- And now for something completely different.A warning for Sushi and Cod lovers!Fishing industry quiet as a fish on worms in cod: report.(TheLocal).A growing seal population in the Baltic sea has brought with it an unwanted consequence - the cod worm (anisakis), which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and intense stomach aches if ingested, is steadily becoming more common in the Baltic area.But the Swedish fishing industry has kept a tight lid on information about the growing numbers, according to a report in newspaper Dagens Nyheter (DN)."The worry is that it'll have very negative consequences, and that people will stop eating fish. So we want more information on the subject and so far this has not been a financial priority," Sven-Gunnar Lunneryd, an expert on seals, told the newspaper.Though the symptoms usually disappear within two weeks, severe cases can see the cod worm eating its way through the stomach and showing up in other places in the body.According to the DN report, one unlucky man in the United States suffered from a truly stubborn cod worm after eating sushi. The parasite crawled up his esophagus, and from there proceeded to eat its way through into the man's neck.Another incident reported by the paper was one sufferer who coughed up live worms after experiencing a ticklish and achy throat. But when a similar revelation was made in Germany in the 1980's it caused a significant drop in fish consumption and authorities are fearing the same will happen in Sweden, Lunneryd told the paper."There aren't any reports about this being common in the Baltic, so I got interested and looked through 2,000 fishes collected in the area. From these we can see that the parasite is quite common."Southern areas of Sweden, including the southern coast of Skåne and the waters outside Blekinge and Öland, seem to be hit especially hard. According to Lunneryd, this is well known among his co-workers at the Swedish Board of Fisheries (Fiskeriverket, now Havs- och vattenmyndigheten). But even so, he says no official investigations have been made, nor have any reports been written. In fact, Lunneryd's study was made in his own free time.One person who's seen the cod worm up close is Harry Löfgren, who was just about to eat his newly-caught cod on Friday when he received a nasty surprise."I noticed something moving in my sauce," the 9-year-old told DN.Despite his father cooking the fresh caught cod, the worms, which were "yellow and about a centimeter long", were very much alive, according to the newspaper."Next time we will freeze the fillets before we cook them," the boy told the paper.Hmmmm.....Who's the 'bait' here?Read the full story here.