Wednesday, April 20, 2011
- Live broadcast info from Japan directly ! Here.
- Libya Live Blog - April 20. Here .(Al-Jazeera).
- Syria Live Blog - April 20. Here (Al-Jazeera).
- Updated !Earthquakes in the last 24 hours in the world low seismic activity in Japan today between 4.5 and 4.7! More info here.
- Japan - Latest official Situation Update No. 92.Source : Here .
- Japan : For the most accurate info on the nuclear disaster go to : Paul Langley's Nuclear History Blog
- Obama Skips Tornado Destruction, Heads West to Raise Money.(WhitehouseDossier).President Obama is opting not to visit the tornado-ravaged areas of the South, choosing instead to embark today on a three day tour out West where he will try to boost his political standing by talking up his approach to the deficit and raise millions for himself and fellow Democrats.The tornadoes, part of a storm that rampaged though six states Saturday, resulted in one of the worst disasters of any kind in the United States since the Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Scores were left injured or homeless while 45 people were killed – about four times as many as died in the Gulf oil rig explosion and the subsequent oil spill last year. In North Carolina alone, there were nearly two-dozen storm-related deaths Saturday, with 130 homes destroyed and an estimated 700 more damaged.Not only is Obama staying away from the region, he has said almost nothing publicly about the tragedy beyond an interview with a North Carolina TV station and a very brief mention at a White House prayer breakfast. The president has failed to make the kind of national, attention-getting public statement presidents offer during crises to comfort victims by expressing the condolences of the nation and to seek charitable aid.Sunday, he went golfing. On Monday, he did sign a disaster declaration for North Carolina, which will free up federal assistance to the state.Vice President Biden has also failed to show up. He’s cooling his heels today at home in Wilmington, Delaware. The disaster did not even merit a visit from Secretary of Interior Ken Salazar who – without any apparent irony – was in Boston Tuesday announcing a new wind energy project.Meanwhile, the South is bracing for more, as forecasters say severe storms and tornadoes could hit the region again today.Obama’s failure to publicly attend to the fallout from the tornadoes comes on the one-year anniversary of the rig explosion that caused the Gulf oil spill. Obama was roundly criticized then for failing to respond sufficiently to the crisis.Hmmm....It's pretty obvious by now that the President's 'Christian' side is pretty much blind and deaf to the suffering of the American people!Read the full story here.
- Pal Pres Abbas "We are counting on the words of US Pres Obama who said his vision is to see a Palestinian state this coming September".(Ynet).Mahmoud Abbas says he has confidence in US president's vision ahead of meeting with Nicolas Sarkozy, while Israeli state officials believe Europe won't endorse recognition of Palestinian state in UN.The Palestinians are signaling they are still planning to go ahead with efforts to declare an independent state with the backing of the United Nations. Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said during a visit in Tunisia that the Palestinian Authority is ready to establish a state. "We are counting on the words of US President Barack Obama who said his vision is to see a Palestinian state this coming September according to a deadline set by the Quartet." Abbas added that 130 countries have already recognized a Palestinian state on 1967 borders and that this number could well reach 140 or 150. He stated that Western European countries have also accepted the fact that a Palestinian state will be established sooner or later, despite not having recognized it yet.Meanwhile, Israeli state officials sounded surprisingly optimistic on Tuesday. Deputy Foreign Minister Daniel Ayalon said: "The Palestinian threat for a unilateral move in the UN is an idle threat. I believe the Europeans will not vote in favor of this in the end."Another state official noted, "Abu Mazen (Abbas) is going around the world trying to raise support but not everyone in the PA believe it's the right move for the Palestinians right now. They all understand that a vote will not change reality on the ground. The Europeans are not likely to vote for the Palestinians."Should the resolution address clear borders and the right of return – they won't get the Europeans' support. "Hmmmm......But, but.....Hussein promised.Read the full story here.
- Obama and Facebook getting a little too friendly?(HotAir).Today, Barack Obama will hold a Facebook townhall meeting as his re-election campaign kicks into gear. Obama made good use of social media in his 2008 campaign, and thanks to the popularity of his candidacy, social media sites like Facebook benefited from the exposure. But after two years in office, the luster has worn off of Hope and Change, and the Politico wonders if Facebook might be damaging its brand by hitching its wagon to Obama’s fading star.If you have a critical question for Obama, don’t expect it to get through today, even if you do leave the question at the White House entry form. Instead, Tim Pawlenty wants to take those questions himself on his website, where he will presumably answer those questions that fall outside the “how come America doesn’t appreciate your awesome awesomeness, Mr. President?”Hmmmm.....Lots of "Dead Souls" to be created to get your opinion over to the public?Reich Minister of propaganda Goebbels would have loved this.Read the full story here.
- Related - Facebook Woos Washington.(DailyBeast).President Obama hosts a town-hall at Facebook headquarters today, a sign of the social media giant’s growing political power and its oddly symbiotic relationship with the president: he needs Facebook for reelection, the company needs him to stay in Congress’ good graces.One of the smartest things Zuckerberg ever did was to bring aboard Sheryl Sandberg, the company’s chief operating officer, who will play co-host during the Obama town-hall meeting. Sandberg came to Facebook from Google, but before that she was a power player in D.C., serving as chief of staff under Larry Summers during his tenure as secretary of the Treasury. She’s now a member of the recently formed President’s Council for Jobs and Competitiveness.After Sandberg joined Facebook, she brought along a fellow Google exec, Elliot Schrage, who before coming to Silicon Valley worked at the Council on Foreign Relations. Schrage, a lawyer by training, serves as Facebook’s head of global communications and public affairs.Chris Hughes, a Facebook co-founder, ran Obama’s 2008 social-networking operation via a website called My.BarackObama.com. More recently, Facebook has been rumored to be wooing Robert Gibbs, Obama’s former White House press secretary, to come aboard in a senior communications role. Last year Facebook poached Marne Levine, a White House economic adviser, to help run its global public policy efforts.All this cross-pollination prompted Politico on Tuesday to question whether Obama and Facebook are getting too cozy.Thing is, when it comes to dealing with the government, Facebook needs to get as cozy as it can. This company is gathering more personal information about more people than any other company ever, even more than Google. Suddenly it is dawning on everyone, including members of Congress, just how much power Facebook is amassing.Facebook has already landed in hot water with lawmakers for changing its privacy policies in ways that some found creepy and opportunistic. In April 2010, Facebook caused an uproar by introducing new rules that pushed users to share more information about themselves.When users and privacy advocates howled, Facebook’s spinmeisters claimed, laughably, that the new policy was meant to help members, not hurt them, and that the site simply hadn’t done a good enough job of explaining this fact.When that didn’t wash, Facebook did what it had done in previous skirmishes—it agreed to dial back the changes, a little bit, while leaving much of the encroachment in place.As the Electronic Frontier Foundation points out, the new legislation contains a “Facebook loophole,” allowing Facebook to continue tracking users as they move around the Internet, even when they’re not logged in to Facebook.Now comes President Obama, sitting down for a friendly chat with Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg. Obama needs Facebook to help him get re-\elected. Facebook needs Obama to keep them out of trouble with Congress and countless government agencies. No wonder they’re on each other’s friends list.Hmmmm.....Do you want "Big Brother' watching your evey move on the Internet?I for one don't fancy it and therefor i'm not a member of the 'Check me out book"!Read the full story here.
- Related? - ACTION ALERT: Facebook Censors MASSIVE "Jews" Page on Passover!(JIDF). We have good friends who admin a massive, 245,000+ strong "JEWS" page (http://www.facebook.com/thejews) on Facebook. The "Jews" page shares a lot of our work, and a lot of other great, pro-Israel and Jewish information with their fans. Facebook appears to be in the process of censoring that page. It's either that, or an unfortunate glitch, but considering:
•Facebook's history of censoring pro-Israel, Jewish material (see here, here and here)
•Facebook's threats of censoring other content produced by people they arbitrarily "just don't like" (see here)
•The fact that they allow thousands of anti-Israel, Holocaust denial, and other antisemitic and Islamic terrorist pages (see here, here, here, here and many other pages on our site)
•The fact that they submitted to Islam by censoring the "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day" groups.
we don't think this is a coincidence. We feel this might also be politically motivated, especially considering one of Randi Zuckerberg's (sister of the founder of Facebook) recent Tweets:
Dress rehearsal for President Obama's Facebook Town Hall tomorrow! It's getting close!Hmmmm......Facebook proving his allegiance to 'dear leader'?Read the full story here.
- Al-Azhar Sheikh Working for Release of 'Omar 'Abd Al-Rahman a.k.a. 'The Blind Sheikh' .(Memri).The sheikh of Al-Azhar, Dr. Muhammad Al-Tayeb, said that intense efforts are being made to arrange the release of Sheikh 'Omar 'Abd Al-Rahman, known as the Blind Sheikh, a member of the Al-Jama'a Al-Islamiyya organization who has been imprisoned in the US since 1996 for involvement in the 1993 bombing at the World Trade Center. Al-Tayeb said that the coming days will see a breakthrough in this matter. Tomorrow (April 21) a demonstration is to be held in front of the US embassy in Cairo in demand for the sheikh's release.Hmmmm.....Is Holders Department of injustice planning to release him?Read the full story here.
- Internet censorship on the rise in Turkey, report says.(HurriyetDaily)Internet freedom in Turkey has deteriorated due to the government’s limiting of access to certain information, including political content, a report by the Washington-based advocacy group Freedom House has said.Online freedom has been hampered by the continuous blocking of certain applications, particularly file-sharing sites such as YouTube, Last.fm and Metacafe, whose users have filed cases with the European Court of Human Rights over the last two years, according to the report, Freedom on the Net 2011.The report, prepared for the United Nations Democracy Fund, showed that access to YouTube alone was blocked approximately 20 times between March 2007 and November 2010. It added that lack of transparency in blocking decisions makes it difficult for site owners or users to appeal.Censorship has increased along with Internet access and speed, and around 5,000 websites have been banned since 2001, according to the survey, daily Hürriyet reported Wednesday.Turkey ranks 10th among the countries with “partially free” Internet usage, Hürriyet wrote. The Freedom House ranking gives higher numerical scores to countries with more censorship. Turkey’s score went up to 45 from 42 last year, showing an increase in restrictions on Internet freedom.The sites MySpace and Dailymotion; blog-hosting sites such as WordPress and Blogger; Google groups; and the photo-sharing website Slide are among those that are regularly blocked, the report said.Additionally, the procedures taken by the courts or the Telecommunications Directorate, or TİB, to block websites are not transparent, making it difficult for those seeking to appeal the rulings, the report said. Site owners often have trouble determining why their sites have been blocked and which court issued the order, as the reasoning behind court decisions is not provided in blocking notices.Estonia was considered the most free among the countries surveyed, followed by the United States, Germany, Australia, England, Italy, South Africa and Brazil. The countries of Kenya, Mexico, South Korea, Georgia, Nigeria, India, Malaysia and Jordan are all ahead of Turkey.Turkey had around 26.4 million Internet users in 2009, with 35 percent of them considered active users.Hmmmmm......they better prepare for a lot more restrictions after erdogan wins the upcoming elections.Read the full story here.
- "Life and death in Iran's prisons".Another Prisoner Dies in Iran Due to Lack of Medical Care.Hassan Nahid, a political prisoner who was held in ward 350 of Evin prison died two weeks ago in the hospital due to lack of medical attention and treatment for his cancer, according to the Committee in Defense of Political Prisoners.Hassan Nahid was sentenced to three years in prison on the charges of espionage and disclosing classified documents. Since he was unable to afford the €63,000 fine, he was jailed for an additional three years.In 2006, Hassan Nahid had signed a statement that condemned the suspicious death of Akbar Mohammadi, a member of the central council for the United Student Front who died in prison after a hunger strike and the lack of attention by prison officials. Consequently, Hassan Nahid was denied access to medical services outside the prison, even though he suffered from cancer. He was permitted to only use the medical services offered in the prison clinic. Additionally, he was subjected to continuous harassment and humiliation.Hassan Zarezadeh Ardeshir, the spokesperson for the Committee in Defense of Political Prisoners said, “The death of Hassan Nahid is suspicious. He was under pressure in prison. Despite suffering from a serious illness and a critical health condition, judicial and security authorities prevented him from seeking treatment outside the prison until it was too late. He died after being transferred to the hospital.”Hassan Zarezadeh Ardeshir insists that the death of Hassan Nahid has to be investigated. He also recalled that Mohsen Dokmehchi, the prisoner of conscience held in Rajai Shahr ‘Gohardasht’ prison died on March 30th, also due to the refusal of prison officials to transfer him to a hospital and provide him with much needed medical attention. Mohsen Dokmechi died in Tehran’s Modares hospital after suffering for months from cancer.Many other political prisoners such as Akbar Mohammadi, Amir Saran, Omid Mir-Sayafi, and Alborz Ghassemi-Shall have died under suspicious circumstances in Iranian prisons. Their deaths must be investigated by an independent delegation.The Committee in Defense of Political Prisoners has asked Islamic Republic officials to provide the public and the media with the necessary information regarding Hassan Nahid’s death.Hassan Zarehzadeh Ardeshir points out that, according to international laws and regulations, the Islamic Republic of Iran is responsible for protecting the lives of the prisoners and must be held accountable in this regard. We urge international bodies to take serious action with respect to suspicious deaths in the Islamic Republic’s prisons.Hmmm.....Perhaps the UN can give Iran another seat for human rights?Read the full story here.
- Genie blamed for fall of three girls at wedding.(Emirates247).Three girls fell down from a wedding platform in a packed hall in Saudi Arabia, scaring off guests and prompting relatives to replace songs with verses of the holy Quran to expel what they believe were jinn (genies).The bridegroom instantly shouted for the band to stop the music and turned on Quran verses when his sister who was sitting near him fell off the platform.A few minutes later, his sister in law fell off and was later followed with his cousin, to the shock of the guests who fled the wedding.“Songs were replaced with Quran verses and all guests left the wedding immediately as it was believed that the girls’ fall was caused by jinn,” Kabar newspaper said in a report from the western Red Sea port of Jeddah.Hmmmm.......43 % proof 'Gin'nie in a bottle?Read the full story here.
- UK: Islamists Plan to Burn Effigies of Royals William & Kate Along Wedding Procession Route.(DailyMail).Police anticipate violent clashes between Right-wing English Defence League and Muslim hardliners .Officers consider 'pre-emptive strikes' against troublemakers.Muslim fanatics plan to hijack the Royal Wedding by burning effigies of Prince William and Kate Middleton.Extremists belonging to the group Muslims Against Crusades were behind the poppy-burning outrage on November 11 last year.According to police, they have now vowed to turn the wedding celebrations into a 'nightmare'. They plan a 'forceful demonstration' with thousands of protesters set to burn the Union Flag, images of the Crown, and effigies of the bridal couple.Police are anticipating violent clashes as the Right-wing English Defence League have given notice that they intend to protest against the Muslim hardliners.Scotland Yard chiefs are also preparing for trouble from anarchist yobs.Sixty troublemakers charged with public order offences at past demonstrations have already been banned from the City of Westminster on the day as part of their bail conditions.Officers are considering a series of ‘pre-emptive strikes’, which could see anarchists being hauled from their beds and arrested on the morning of the wedding.Muslim Against Crusades, according to police, have vowed to turn the wedding celebrations into a 'nightmare'.Hmmmm.....I wonder how Henry VIII would have dealt with this?Read the full story here.
- Got an iPhone or 3G iPad? Apple is recording your moves! A section titled "Who has access to this data?" was added.(O.Reilly).A hidden file in iOS 4 is regularly recording the position of devices.The presence of this data on your iPhone, your iPad, and your backups has security and privacy implications. We've contacted Apple's Product Security team, but we haven't heard back.What makes this issue worse is that the file is unencrypted and unprotected, and it's on any machine you've synched with your iOS device. It can also be easily accessed on the device itself if it falls into the wrong hands. Anybody with access to this file knows where you've been over the last year, since iOS 4 was released.Hmmmm.....Big Brother anyone.Read the full story here.
- ACLU: Michigan cops stealing drivers' phone data,yes that photo also.(CNet).The Michigan State Police have started using handheld machines called "extraction devices" to download personal information from motorists they pull over, even if they're not suspected of any crime. Naturally, the ACLU has a problem with this. The devices, sold by a company called Cellebrite, can download text messages, photos, video, and even GPS data from most brands of cell phones. The handheld machines have various interfaces to work with different models and can even bypass security passwords and access some information. The problem as the ACLU sees it, is that accessing a citizen's private phone information when there's no probable cause creates a violation of the Constitution's 4th Amendment, which protects us against unreasonable searches and seizures. To that end, it's petitioning the MSP to turn over information about its use of the devices under the Freedom of Information Act. The MSP said it's happy to comply, that is, if the ACLU provides them with a processing fee in excess of $500,000. That's more than $100,000 for each of the five devices the MSP says it has in use.The ACLU, for its part, says that the fee is odious, and that a public policing agency has a duty to its citizens to be open. "This should be something that they are handing over freely, and that they should be more than happy to share with the public--the routines and the guidelines that they follow," Mark Fancher, an attorney for the ACLU, told Detroit's WDIV. As of yet there's no suit, but one is likely if the MSP sticks to its proverbial guns and refuses to hand over information about how it's using the cell phone snooping devices, without being first paid off. If litigation does come, the outcome may set a precedent that would have far-reaching effects, and might make a device that most of us carry a pocket battleground in the war of digital privacy.Hmmmm.....Democracy or Dictatorship?The choice is yours in 2012.Read the full story here.
- 'I thought there would be a bit of pain, then I would be in Heaven': Maimed Pakistani boy, 14, tells of failed suicide bomb bid.(DailyMail).A Pakistani teenager has told how he was brainwashed by the Taliban into becoming a suicide bomber because he believed he would go to paradise.Umar Fidai, 14, and another schoolboy were behind the attack on a Pakistani shrine earlier this month in which scores were killed and many others injured.Fidai survived because his bomb vest failed to detonate properly, although he has lost an arm and could yet lose his life because of his injuries. Now in custody, he admits he made a terrible mistake and begs forgiveness for his deadly mission - for which his family have now disowned him.He told the BBC he trained with the Taliban for five months, learning how to shoot, use a grenade and ultimately to be a suicide bomber.He was told he would go Afghanistan to kill 'non-believers' but in fact the pair were taken to another part of Pakistan and ordered to blow up the shrine. Umar told the BBC: 'The plan was that Ismail would blow himself up near the shrine, then I would wait and blow myself up near the ambulances when they came.'He said he had no doubts at all about killing himself: 'All I was thinking was that I had to detonate myself near as many people as possible.'When I decided it was the right time, it was a moment of happiness for me. I thought that there would be a little bit of pain, but then I would be in Heaven.Even when the jacket failed, Umar continued to try and bring about more carnage - reaching for a grenade in his pocket.'We had been taught that if the belt does not go off, we should kill ourselves with the grenade.'There were three policemen standing close by, and I thought if I killed them too, I would still make it to Heaven.'As he attempted to pull out the pin, he was shot in the arm by police. He says when doctors and officers then tried to help him, he realised he had made a dreadful mistake.The children were told studying was pointless and that killing 'infidels' would be a route to paradise. 'The Taliban prayed all the time and read the Koran, so I thought they were good people. My heart told me to go and train with them,' he said. He admits he now 'did a very bad thing' and has realised suicide bombing is un-Islamic. The boy has not heard from his family since the blast.He is still seriously ill and is worried the Taliban might come to kill him because he failed to complete his mission.Hmmm......The religion of peace.Read the full story here.
- Hug lands man in jail, girl escapes. (Emirates247). A Saudi man who had apparently known the risks of hugging his girl friend in a public place could not help it and went ahead with it. Moments after the hug, the Gulf Kingdom’s Islamic police were on him.The girl managed to run away when she saw several members of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice rushing towards her. Her boy friend was not equally lucky.“They arrested him for committing an obscene act in public but the girl managed to flee….they also found obscene pictures in his mobile phone,” Kabar Arabic language daily said in a report from the eastern town of Dhahran.Hmmmm.....Sharia is the same as The Constitution?...Anyone?Read the full story here.
Obama "Israel may benefit from the Arab uprisings",yup it's pretty obvious.
- Live broadcast info from Japan directly ! Here.
- Libya Live Blog - April 20. Here .(Al-Jazeera).
- Syria Live Blog - April 20. Here (Al-Jazeera).
- Updated !Earthquakes in the last 24 hours in the world low seismic activity in Japan today between 4.5 and 4.7! More info here.
- Japan - Latest official Situation Update No. 92.Source : Here .
- Japan : For the most accurate info on the nuclear disaster go to : Paul Langley's Nuclear History Blog
- 'They lost in the Supreme Court, they lost in Congress, they lost at the FEC, so now the president is just going to do it by edict'(DougRoss).Is this, as tipster "D&S" calls it, "Obama's Rubicon"?An "impeccable source" alerts former Department of Justice Attorney Hans von Spakovsky to an imminent presidential executive order that would implement portions of the "DISCLOSE Act".You may recall the controversial bill that Democrats tried to ram through Congress last year. Its intent was to make it more difficult for private individuals to fund campaign commercials while simultaneously shielding unions from disclosure requirements. In other words, Democrats -- true to form -- intend to limit free speech unless it politically benefits them. Former FEC Chairman Brad Smith characterized the DISCLOSE Act as "Democrat Incumbents Seeking to Contain Losses by Outlawing Speech in Elections Now".Having failed to limit private speech in the Supreme Court (the Citizens United decision), having failed to pass the DISCLOSE Act itself, and having failed to railroad the Federal Election Commission, the president and his sycophants are using other means to achieve their extra-constitutional ends.An impeccable source has provided me with a copy of a draft Executive Order (PDF) that the White House is apparently circulating for comments from several government agencies. Titled “Disclosure of Political Spending By Government Contractors,” it appears to be an attempt by the Obama administration to implement — by executive fiat — portions of the DISCLOSE Act.When it comes to the radical leftists controlling the Democrat Party, there really appears to be no limit to their disregard for the law.The Democrats want 'transparency and accountability' requirements levied only upon their political enemies, presumably so that union thugs can harass private individuals. We saw them run this game-plan in Madison, where state officials were subjected to death threats and their homes picketed.We are seeing the disintegration of the civil society occur right before our eyes.Hmmmm.......Dictatorship or democracy?Read the full story here.
- Iranian lawmakers warn Ahmadinejad to accept intelligence chief as political feud deepens.(AP).TEHRAN, Iran — Political pressures mounted on President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad after more than 200 lawmakers warned Wednesday that he must obey an order from the country's supreme leader reinstating Iran's powerful intelligence minister.The showdown over Heidar Moslehi has brought fresh allegations that Ahmadinejad and his allies are trying to grab more power and challenge the all-encompassing authority of Iran's ruling clerics. It also pointed to a potential fissure in the heart of Ahmadinejad's government as its base of support shrinks among parliament members and others.Moslehi resigned Sunday following reported internal disputes with Ahmadinejad and the president publicly accepted it. But Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei quickly ordered that Moslehi remain on the job, which has a key role in Iran's relentless crackdown on dissident.A statement signed by 216 parliament members — more than two-thirds of the 290-seat chamber — warned Ahmadinejad that he cannot ignore Khamenei, who has the last word in all state affairs."The parliament expects nothing but total obedience to ... the order without any question. (Khamenei) is above the three branches of power and the executive branch is defined under the supreme leader," the semi-official Fars news agency quoted lawmaker Hossein Naqavi as saying.Hardline media claim that Moslehi had been forced to resign after he fired one of his deputies, Hossein Abdollahi, without consulting Ahmadinejad.But the core dispute appears to be over Ahmadinejad's close confidant, Esfandiar Rahim Mashaei, whose views have outraged hard-liners, including a claim that Iran's ideology should take precedent over promoting Islam on the world stage. Mashaei also has close ties to the dismissed deputy Abdollahi.Khamenei's intervention to reinstate Moslehi has put Ahmadinejad in an awkward position: either openly snub Iran's top leader and risk more fallout from Khamenei or submit to the order and lose a high-profile political fight.The parliament declaration claimed Ahmadinejad is challenging one of the bedrock tenets of Iran's theocracy by openly defying the supreme leader, who is considered by hard-liners as above the law and answerable only to God.Ahmadinejad, who in 2009 said Khamenei was like a father to him, has enjoyed strong support from the Iranian supreme leader but has defied the country's most powerful figure at times.After his disputed re-election, Ahmadinejad bowed to pressure from the supreme leader who ordered Ahmadinejad to dismiss Mashaei as his choice for the key post of first vice-president. Mashaei's daughter is married to the president's son.Hossein Shariatmadari, chief editor of the hard-line daily Kayhan, accused Mashaei of leading a "deviant current" within the government that seeks to challenge the authority of Khamenei and undermine the ruling system from within.Hmmmm.......My guess Ahmadinejad is learning from Obama and wants 'Change'?Read the full story here.
- HT:IsraelMatzav.Guess who's joining the 'Human Rights Council'.Fresh from leading the OIC effort to kill the UN's effort to enact a universal definition of terrorism, Syria is joining the UN 'Human Rights Council.' Syria is currently running for a seat on the U.N.’s flagship “human rights” body, the Human Rights Council. Seats are allocated to five regional groups, and just to make sure Syria’s ascendancy is unimpeded, the Asian group has only nominated the same number of states as they have seats. So barring any unexpected additions, Syria will join fellow U.N. human rights authorities like Saudi Arabia on the Council in May.And the Obama administration is helping the Syrian candidacy along. That might be another bad joke. Except that the Obama administration announced on March 30 that it was so “pleased to note the landmark achievements of the most recent session of the U.N. Human Rights Council” that it was going to seek a second term. That characterization of the Council’s main March session is somewhat dubious, at least if the administration cared at all about the concept of equality and the welfare of Israel. The last session was the worst on record for the demonization of the Jewish state, the Council adopting more anti-Israel resolutions in one sitting than ever before. The wildly premature announcement – the U.S. term will end in December 31, 2012 according to a new General Assembly deal – erases any possibility of using prospective U.S. membership or associated dollars as clout.Hmmmm.....Why not change the name in the Union of Islamic Nations?Read the full story here.
- Lying, Hitting Your Wife and Jihad: Just Another Day in a Moderate Mosque.(Aina).In the small city of Sammamish, WA is an Islamic worship center that most people wouldn’t even recognize as a mosque or anything other than a residential house in just another normal neighborhood. But what is being taught about Islam at the Sammamish Mosque should be brought to attention, not just in this small community, but on the national stage.When I decided to research this mosque I was ready to find the ordinary and mundane, although as a self-taught student of Islam, I was prepared to find some things of concern and perhaps the truly hair-curling. What I discovered was a bit of both: a very ordinary and normal life of faith surrounding the dusty core of a 7th century barbarism, dusted off and polished up for a new life in the Pacific Northwest. This strange mix was all captured on camera and helpfully uploaded to the internet by Imam Wassim Fayed, a Sammamish Mosque trustee who holds regular workshops at the center. He is also one of the founding members of the Sammamish Muslim Association. The two-hour video is a “Daawah Workshop” given by Imam Fayed on proselytizing to non-Muslims including instructions on the best ways to explain the “misconceptions in Islam.” In this video clip, which comes about 15 minutes into the workshop, we are instructed when giving da’wah to tell the truth to non-Muslims. That sounds good, right?Transcript:
Don’t say anything that in front of Allah on the (day of judgement) you’re gonna regret. If you can’t say the truth because it’s gonna incriminate you or put you in a bad spot, better not to say anything. But if you’re able to say it, then say it, inshallah.
So the Imam wants his followers to tell the truth, but he makes it absolutely clear to only tell the truth if it won’t “incriminate you or put you in a bad spot.” It is a little unnerving when this very unassuming and seemingly nice man starts talking about concealing “incriminating” aspects of his religion from non-believers. Maybe this imam needs a lesson on Islam himself since every time we hear about anything negative regarding Islam the media and intelligentsia come out to assure us that Islam has been “hijacked.”
Could it be that this imam knows something about his religion that the MSM doesn’t know or just isn’t willing to say?We are told in the video that Muslim women wear the hijab because they want to and not because they’re “oppressed.” What Imam Fayed doesn’t seem to find ironic is that five minutes later he gives us examples of when you should “punish” your wife, which includes if she “wants to take off her hijab.”Another thing to note in this video is when the imam speaks about the distinct good deeds that Muslim women and Muslim men can do for Allah. He quite clearly says that the best act a man can perform for Allah is to give up his life in jihad, and that women having children is an equally great deed for Allah. He isn’t advocating for suicide bombing, but he is confirming that in the Qur’an Allah considers it the best thing a person can do. If you missed it I would suggest watching the video again so you can get the full context to go with his remarks.This video completely belies the narrative that the politically correct elite have been pushing: that “jihad” just means a “personal struggle.” This imam is not someone that people would normally consider “militant” or “radical” but rather a “moderate.” Yet he confirms what the anti-Shariah, anti-Islamofascism crowd has been saying for years. The radicals and the supposed “moderates” are all following the same playbook; the majority of Muslims want the same ends, they just don’t take the same road to get there.I’m not going to give you the much overused line that “not every Muslim lies about their religion and not every Muslim man hits his wife” because I think it would be a little insulting to assume you don’t already know that or can’t think for yourself. What I will say, is that when Imam Fayed said to lie about Islam and that it is permitted to hit your wife, no one objected. Not one man in that room full of Western educated men, many of whom (we learn from the video) are employed at one of the biggest computer software companies in the world, ever protested or objected to this kind of behavior being condoned in the United States in the 21st century.Not. One.By Kim Edwards.Read the full story here.
- Turkey ignores Israel in '2023 manifest'.(Ynet)Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan neglects to address ties with Israel in new political platform ahead of June elections.Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan presented an updated political platform Tuesday in preparation for June's parliamentary elections, however he ignored the country's shaky relationship with Israel.Erdogan has issued his "Manifest for 2023", a document discussing political strategies in connection to countries in the Mideast and around the world. However, the Turkish leader neglected to mention Israel in any way. The document does not mention any possibility of improving ties with Jerusalem, which were considered close before Operation Cast Lead and reached a new low following the Gaza flotilla in May 2010, when nine Turkish activists where killed during a Navy raid on the Mavi Marmara ship.Unsuccessful reconciliation attempts have been made in recent months, with Turkey demanding an official apology from Israel and compensation for the victims' families. Erdogan, leader of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party), is expected to be reelected for a third term this summer. According to the manifest, the AK Party stresses the importance of ties with Middle Eastern countries and with the United States. Israel is not the only country receiving the cold shoulder from Turkey: In the document Erdogan claimed Armenia's unproductive approach prevents Turkey from normalizing the relationship between the two countries. On the other hand, it is possible that ignoring Israel is a sign of progress after the Turkish National Security Council defined Israel as a 'central threat' in October 2010.Hmmmmm......Perhaps Obama's buddy Erdogan knows something the Jews don't know........Yet?Read the full story here.
- Obama's faith adviser helped craft 'perfect Islamic state'.Shariah project scrubbed from Internet, sought to 'implement' Muslim caliphate.(WND).JERUSALEM – Dalia Mogahed, appointed to President Obama's faith advisory council, was a partner in an Islamic project whose stated goal was to "define, interpret and implement the concept of the Islamic State in modern times," WND has learned. The project was founded and directed by Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, the controversial Muslim cleric behind the proposed 13-story, $100 million Islamic cultural center and mosque two blocks from Ground Zero in New York City. Besides her role on the White House Advisory Council on Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships, Mogahed is also on the advisory council of the Department of Homeland Security. She testified before the Senate on engagement with the Muslim community.Together with Rauf, Mogahed was a leading voice in the Leadership Group on U.S.-Muslim Engagement, which issued a 153-page recommendation paper, obtained and reviewed by WND, that calls for dialogue with Hamas. The consensus focused on improving America's relationship with Muslims globally, with many of the recommendations later reportedly being adopted by the Obama administration. Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright and Dennis Ross, Obama's Mideast envoy, also served on the Leadership Group that released the recommendation paper.The paper specifically called on the U.S. to engage opposition parties in Egypt, including the Muslim Brotherhood. It set the boundaries for dialogue with Hamas if the Islamist terror group renounced violence. Also, the paper called on the U.S. to immediately engage Hamas using intermediaries in hopes of moderating the group. Mogahed, meanwhile, is a senior analyst and executive director of the Gallup Center for Muslim Studies, where she led what has been described an unprecedented survey of Muslims worldwide, including in the U.S. and Europe.WND has learned that Mogahed and the Gallup survey provided key data for Rauf's "Shariah Index Project ," which sought, according to its own mission, to "define, interpret and implement the concept of the Islamic State in modern times." The project at one time was featured on the website of Rauf's Cordoba Initiative, which is the group behind the so-called Ground Zero mosque. However, after the mosque issue was highlighted in the news media, the Shariah Index Project, a sister project of Cordoba, was scrubbed from Rauf's website.Further, Jasser Auda, a Qatari professor who is one of the personalities behind the Shariah Index Project with Rauf, described Mogahed's involvement in providing key data that helped formulate the Shariah Index plan to map out an Islamic state, even referring to Obama's faith adviser as "sister Mogahed." In an interview about the Shariah Index Project with OnIslam.com, an Islamic news portal associated with Muslim Brotherhood leader Youssef Qaradawi, Auda stated, "Our sister Dalia Mugahed – at that time she was the head of the Muslim societies branch, now she is in Abu Dhabi leading the same project on Muslim societies in a different project." Continued Auda, "At that time in Washington she was leading the Muslim societies index, and she gave us according to an agreement between Gallup, Cordoba and the Prime Minister of Malaysia office, gave us (Shariah Index Project) the data for three years, through which we came up with some conclusions based on asking people." In her role on Obama's faith council, Mogahed reportedly offers recommendations to the U.S. president on how faith-based organizations can best work with government to solve society's toughest challenges.Hmmmmm....."I will stand with my Muslim bothers"?Read the full story here.
- Poll: Record High 61% Oppose Birthright Citizenship For Children Born to Illegal Immigrants.(Rasmussen)Several Republican senators are seeking to amend the law that grants full U.S. citizenship to children born to illegal immigrants in this country, and voters strongly support such an effort.A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey shows that 61% of Likely U.S. Voters believe that a child born in the United States to a woman who is here illegally should not automatically become a U.S. citizen. That’s up slightly from last August but is the highest level of support for a change in the existing law found in five years of Rasmussen Reports surveying.Twenty-eight percent (28%) disagree and feel that children born to illegal immigrants in this country should automatically become American citizens as is currently the practice. That’s down six points from August. Another 11% are undecided.Eighty-four percent (84%) of voters believe that before anyone receives local, state or federal government services, they should be required to prove they are legally allowed to be in the United States. Only nine percent (9%) oppose such a requirement.Read the full story here.
- Muslim Mobs Kill At Least 100 Christians, Burn Over 40 Churches in Northern Nigeria.(Aina).Washington -- International Christian Concern (ICC) has learned that Muslim rioters have killed more than 100 Christians and burned down more than 40 churches in an attack that began yesterday in response to the election of Jonathan Goodluck, a Christian, as president of Nigeria. The rioters even destroyed the homes of many Muslims who supported President Jonathan Goodluck.The Muslim attackers allege that the election was rigged and General Muhammadu Buhari, a Muslim presidential candidate, is the rightful winner. Yet, impartial observers have called this election the fairest in decades. According to the Commonwealth observers' report, "The elections for the National Assembly and the Presidency were both credible and creditable and reflected the will of the Nigerian people."According to ICC sources, it is difficult to know the full extent of the damage. The casualties could be much higher as the attacks took place over many of the 12 Muslim majority states in northern Nigeria. The situation is beginning to calm since security forces were deployed and enforced a 24 hour curfew. Christian minorities living in northern Nigeria have faced repeated bouts of violence and discrimination at the hands of the Muslim majority. Since the introduction of Sharia law in northern Nigeria in 2001, tens and thousands of Christians have been killed."Christians in northern Nigeria are being killed and their churches and property destroyed for voting for the candidate of their choice. Why should churches be burned when just it's an issue of politics? Why should Christians be killed just because someone won an election? Goodluck is not the president just for Christians; he is the president for every Nigerian. Why should Christians suffer because Jonathan won the election?" said a Christian leader in the northern Nigerian state of Kaduna.Jonathan Racho, ICC's Regional Manager for Africa, said, "We are very saddened by the violence against Christians and their property in northern Nigeria. Disputes over elections shouldn't have been allowed to lead to religious violence against Christians. We have repeatedly seen Muslims attack and kill those of other faiths at the slightest provocation. We urge Nigeria to fully investigate this attack and bring the perpetrators to justice. As long as these attackers operate with impunity, the attacks will continue."Hmmmm....."The religion of peace".Read the full story here.
- A legal conspiracy against the Turkish Kurds?(HurryetDailyNews)The breaking news of Monday night was truly breaking: Turkey’s Supreme Election Board, or YSK, a board of judges whose job is to oversee the electoral process, had vetoed the candidacy of 12 “independents.” Seven of them were supported by the pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy Party, or BDP. One of them was the famous Leyla Zana, a Kurdish activist who had spent a decade in prison after being convicted of links to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK.This news created a great reaction and uproar, for the vetoing of these candidates is a clear interference in the upcoming elections on June 12. The “independents” already represent a political line that is disadvantaged because of the 10 percent national election threshold. Now the fact that a dozen of them are taken out of the game by a court decision adds much more to the feelings of discrimination. Not just the Kurds but also all democrats are very, very angry.The YSK decision will only help infuriate the base of the BDP, which is already agitated with a passionate Kurdish nationalism. What is worse is that this move might lead the BDP to boycott the upcoming elections. This would not only be a major flaw in the Turkish democracy, but also a sabotage for the already shy and fragile “peace process” between the state and the PKK forces that the BDP is assumed to represent. The words of Bengi Yıldız, a politician within the BDP ranks, are worrying enough: “This decision is clearly a decision of war on the Kurds. It is a decision to send the Kurds to the mountains [to become guerillas]. If the rulers of this country have decided for war, then that is just fine. Then the Kurds will fight the war.”This is a very dangerous psychology. And this is a dangerous moment for Turkish democracy. Politicians might not be responsible for the YSK decision, but they are certainly responsible for doing something about it. First, every legal way should be considered to force the YSK to revise its decision. Secondly, Parliament should consider ways to amend the Law for Deputy Elections, and make those changes applicable to the upcoming elections. Postponing the elections can also be an option.We just should not allow the draconian laws of “Old Turkey” to put a stain on the new one. If we go to elections under the shadow of this veto, that is what will exactly happen.Hmmmm.....Erdogan and Ahmadinejad.....the war against the Kurds,somehow i think they might end up like the Armanians in the past.Read the full story here.
- ‘Turkey should list number of jailed journalists’.(TodaysZaman).Representatives from a France-based reporters’ organization yesterday in İstanbul voiced their concerns that, while there are too many journalists in prison in Turkey, the government does not provide a comprehensive list regarding the number of jailed journalists. “Too many journalists have been arrested in Turkey and Ahmet Şık and Nedim Şener are the most recent ones. It is hard to collect data. Local organizations say that 68 journalists have been arrested but only five show up in our data,” said Johann Bihr, head of the Europe and Central Asia desk of the Reporters Without Borders organization, at a press conference.Bihr pointed out that Turkey ranks 138th in the press freedom index this year, as there are about 2000 cases against journalists, including Büşra Erdal and İsmail Saymaz, who face a record number of cases, mostly due to their disclosure of information regarding ongoing cases.“There is violence against journalists, a lack of respect,” he said, noting, “Freedom of the press and respect for journalists are not priority for the Turkish government.” Recommendations from Reporters Without Borders included making amendments to anti-terror laws and the Code on Criminal Procedure (CMK) that allow for the arrest of journalists, listing the number of journalists in prison and paying attention to what local and international organizations say on the issue. They will be in Turkey on May 3, World Press Freedom Day for solidarity with journalists, Bihr said and added that they will also try to visit Şık and Şener in prison.Hmmmm.....Turkey the worst human rights violator and Obama's best friend&Ally.Read the full story here.
- A Former Judge Takes on Erdogan's Heavy Hand.(DerSpiegel).Until recently, Emine Ülker Tarhan was a Supreme Court justice in Ankara. But now she has discarded her robes and is challenging Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the Turkish leadership. The prime minister, she alleges, is establishing a surveillance state and is "becoming more dictatorial every day."There are days on which Emine Ülker Tarhan isn't constantly worried about bugs and wire taps. They are days when Tarhan, tall and blonde with metal-rimmed glasses, gets her 1964 VW Beetle out of the garage and puts on a CD by Zülfü Livaneli, the Turkish balladeer whose voice reminds her of "clear air."And then are days, she says, when she feels like a character in George Orwell's tale of a surveillance state, "1984." That's when she sees the thought police on patrol, and when she is afraid to say the wrong word in her own home.Today is one of those days. It's a Monday morning in the embassy district of the Turkish capital Ankara, and Tarhan, wearing a black blazer over a blue blouse, is sitting in a friend's law office, where the two are exchanging knowing glances. Could this office be bugged, too, they wonder? "Our country's government is becoming more and more dictatorial every day," says Tarhan. "This isn't paranoia."It seems odd to hear this 48-year-old woman speaking as if she were at the mercy of a despotic government. Five weeks ago Tarhan, a career jurist, was herself a member of the country's power elite. She was a judge on the Supreme Court in Ankara and, since 2006, the president of "Yarsav," a decidedly secular professional association of judges and prosecutors. But then, in early March, she stepped down from both posts and decided to go into politics.The reason for her decision, she say, is the increasingly open attempt by the Islamic conservative administration of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan to destroy the independence of the Turkish judiciary. A closer look, says Tarhan, is enough to see that Erdogan is currently in the process of eliminating the separation of powers in Turkey. "If he gets his way, judges and public prosecutors will no longer serve as a check on the executive branch, but instead will become his agents. I refuse to play along with this."The election campaign began in Turkey last week. And after decades of decline, a party that was considered hopelessly outdated is suddenly in the ascendant: the Republican People's Party (CHP), founded by Atatürk himself, a melting pot of the old secular government elite that has been overrun by the dynamic Erdogan.The CHP has its headquarters on the outskirts of Ankara, in a postmodern building with something that resembles a space capsule on the roof, meant to convey the image of modernity. The mood is buoyant inside the building, now that the CHP has gained a prominent and media-friendly candidate in Emine Tarhan. Party Chairman Kemal Kiliçdaroglu, nicknamed "Kemal Gandhi" because of his mild character, has just greeted her with great enthusiasm.The now former Judge Tarhan, brushing a lock of hair out of her face, insists that she never wanted to become a politician. The many photographers embarrass her, and she is appalled by the posturing of many Turkish politicians.But in light of an impending "dictatorship of the Erdogan clique," says Tarhan, she wants to campaign for a different and more modern Turkey. "In this country, religious leaders are now declaring women who have been raped to be partially culpable, because they showed too much cleavage. They see women as nothing but baby-making machines. Do you really think that I can just sit there and do nothing?"Hmmmm.......Get Turkey out of NATO NOW!Read the full story here.
- HT:Memri.Video - Saudi Cleric Mohsen Al-Awaji Strongly Criticizes Iran and Says: I Don't Want It to Stab Us in the Back with Its Irrational Behavior.Read and see the full story here.
- US Armenians gear up 'genocide' campaign.(HurryetDailyNews).US Armenians gear up ‘genocide’ campaign.US Armenians are preparing to hold a protest against President Barack Obama in Los Angeles to accuse him of breaking his pre-election pledges to Armenians and rally their groups and congressional supporters, once again, to back a campaign to have the deaths of Ottoman Armenians in 1915 labeled a ‘genocide’ in the US.U.S. Armenians have sped up a campaign to convince the country’s president to declare the events of 1915 as “genocide” in the run-up to April 24, "Armenian Remembrance Day" in the United States.Members of the community are preparing to hold a protest against President Barack Obama in Los Angeles on Thursday for allegedly breaking pre-election pledges in 2008 to Armenians and Armenian groups to recognize their genocide claims. The group’s congressional supporters are hoping that the president finally recognizes the "Armenian genocide" this time around.Pro-Armenian legislators came close to winning a congressional endorsement of the genocide claims last December, shortly before the previous Congress expired, when they intensified their efforts for a floor vote in the House of Representatives on a "genocide" bill, which passed the House Foreign Affairs Committee last March.But under strong behind-the-scene pressure by the Obama administration, the bill did not come to a floor vote.Hmmmm.....Erdogan "Muslims don't commit geocide".Read the full story here.
- Russia: Borei submarine to test new missile this year.(TodaysZaman)A new Russian nuclear submarine will be ready to test the next generation of intercontinental missiles this year, a military shipbuilding spokesman said on Tuesday. The Yuri Dolgoruky, the first of Russia’s new Borei class of submarines, has yet to fire the Bulava missile it was made to carry because of numerous failures during testing.“By the beginning of the navigation season all ships will be ready to carry out tests of the Bulava,” said Alexander Kholodov, a representative of submarine-building shipyard Sevmash. “This refers above all to the submarines Dmitry Donskoy and Yuri Dolgoruky,” he said. The Dmitry Donskoy is an older Akula-class vessel used for previous Bulava tests while Borei-class submarines were undergoing testing. The Bulava was designed to be carried on submarines like the Yuri Dolgoruky, but repeated failures of the missile during tests have called the costly project into question.The submarine’s entry into service, carrying the Bulava, will be a major step forward for Russia’s military, which hopes to use rising oil revenues to increase its clout.Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has promised to spend nearly 20 trillion roubles ($705.7 billion) to upgrade Russia’s crumbling defense forces over the next 10 years.The Bulava has failed half of its 14 tests. A 15th test was scheduled last year but harsh winter weather conditions forced Moscow to delay it until this year.Read the full story here.
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
Watch Sohoebat’s appearance on TNL as he relates to Turkey as the potentially future main enemy of Israel and calls on Israel to stop “fearing from Goliath.”
- Live broadcast info from Japan directly ! Here.
- Libya Live Blog - April 19. Here .(Al-Jazeera).
- Syria Live Blog - April 19 Here (Al-Jazeera).
- Updated !Earthquakes in the last 24 hours in the world low seismic activity in Japan today between 4.5 and 4.7! More info here.
- Japan - Latest official Situation Update No. 92.Source : Here .
- Japan : For the most accurate info on the nuclear disaster go to : Paul Langley's Nuclear History Blog
- Michele Bachmann'I Have a Spine Made Out of Titanium'.(DerSpiegel).Michele Bachmann, a darling of the Tea Party movement in the US, voted against President Barack Obama's budget compromise last week. She spoke with SPIEGEL about the need to cut spending, the US involvement in Libya and her fight for principles.
SPIEGEL: Why was it a mistake to intervene in Lybia?
Bachmann: The Obama doctrine now says that President Obama will use our United States military for humanitarian purposes. He went into Libya for humanitarian purposes. Since that time, we have seen murders and riots break out in Syria, and a number of people have been killed in Syria. So does that mean that our United States military should also intervene in Syria and get involved in that conflict? It would take very little for the United States to be involved in multiple efforts all across the world. The fact is we simply do not have the resources to do that.Read the full interview here.
- Malaysia to Send 66 Muslim Schoolboys to Anti-Gay Camp For Being “Too Effeminate”.Malaysian authorities have sent 66 Muslim schoolboys whom they consider effeminate to a four-day camp where they will receive counseling on masculine behavior.The education director of a northeastern state in this Muslim-majority country says the measure is meant to help prevent the teens from potentially becoming gay or transvestites.Gay rights advocates criticized the effort Tuesday and called it a sign of homophobia.Education official Razali Daud says the boys reported Monday for what is officially being called a “self-development course” after their schoolteachers identified them as students who displayed effeminate mannerisms.Razali says it the first program of its kind in Terengganu state, which is known for religious conservatism.Pang Khee Teik, co-founder of a Malaysian sexual rights awareness group, dubbed the camp “outrageous”.“If we don’t do anything to stop the rot of homophobia… I worry it may get worse,” he told Associated Press.Rights for gay people in Malaysia are currently not recognised and acts such as sodomy (both homo and heterosexual) are illegal.Hmmm.......welcome to A.D. 620?Read the full story here.
- Upton Expanding Investigation Into Industry Groups And Unions Secret Meetings With White House Prior to ObamaCare Passage. (DailyCaller)House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Fred Upton is expanding his investigation into the meetings between special interest groups and the Obama White House that set the stage for the passage of Obamacare, sending document requests to 12 industry groups and unions that played a key role in the negotiations.In April 18 letters to the groups, Upton asks for extensive details and documents about each organization’s interactions with the White House in regards to the health care law.The requests come as the Obama White House has so far declined to provide its documents about the meetings.At issue are special deals struck between interest groups and President Obama to either garner the support of major industry sectors or soften their criticism of the health care law.In one major instance, the pharmaceutical drug sector agreed to back the legislation as long as the costs to that sector did not exceed $80 billion. The drug sector eventually spent over $100 million on television advertisements touting the law.The industry groups and unions subject to Upton’s request are AARP, AFL-CIO, AdvaMed, AFSCME, American Hospital Association, American Medical Association, America’s Health Insurance Plans, Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, Business Roundtable, Federation of American Hospitals, PHRMA, and SEIU.Hmmmm.......Let Obamacare die by a thousand cuts?Read the full story here.
- Michigan: County Prosecutors Seeking Court Order to Stop Koran-Burning Pastor From Protesting Outside Dearborn Mosque.(Freep) — Concerned about a potential outbreak of violence, Wayne County prosecutors have filed a complaint in court that seeks to compel Florida pastor Terry Jones, who oversaw the burning of a Quran last month, not to rally outside an Islamic center in Dearborn this week.Jones told the Free Press he intends to come to Dearborn this Friday with others to protest against sharia and jihad, Islamic ideas that he said threaten the U.S.Walid also said that the court filing inaccurately tries to “equate the actions of zealots in Afghanistan with Muslim-Americans in Dearborn,” which he described as a peaceful community that would not harm Jones. The court action, considered rare, is called in the filing a "verified complaint to institute proceedings to prevent crime."But Dearborn police and Wayne County prosecutors are trying to convince him that showing up at the Islamic Center of America would endanger his life and public peace. In the court filing, prosecutors and Dearborn police note that Jones has received numerous death threats and a $1.2 million bounty on his head by leaders of Jamaat-ud Dawa, a cover organization for the Pakistan-based terrorist organization Lashkar-e-Tayyiba. Dearborn and Wayne County authorities also note that Friday happens to be Good Friday and that the Islamic Center is next to several churches. And so if Jones and his followers were to protest, they argue, it could create enormous problems for Christian worshippers to enter and leave the churches for Good Friday services. A spokesperson for Terry Jones was not immediately available to comment today, but Jones has told the Free Press he wants to come to Dearborn to help preserve the U.S. Constitution and ensure that Islam does not dominate non-Muslims.Hmmmm..... "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." the First Amendment.Read the full story here.
- American teacher claims she's detained 457 days against her will.(ArabNews).RIYADH: An American woman who came to Riyadh on a teaching contract has alleged her sponsor detained her in the Kingdom against her will for at least 457 days as of Sunday.“Today is the 457th day that I’ve been held against my will, 13 days longer than the Iranians held Americans between 1979 through to 1981,” Trina Flowers, a teacher from Dulles, told Arab News on Sunday.“I arrived in Saudi Arabia on Oct. 22, 2009, to teach English to university students through a private company in a program undertaken on the initiative of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah mandated to the Ministry of Higher Education.“However, almost immediately after my arrival, I realized that the company was in no way capable of dealing with Western people in a humane manner. I wanted to leave Saudi Arabia. Things went from bad to worse.”She said when she received her visa from the Saudi Embassy in Washington, it stated her employer was King Saud University (KSU).“When I came to Riyadh, I was sent to Najran University,” she added, pointing out that she had never even been to KSU. She strongly believes her sponsor deliberately deceived her since her arrival.The saga started when Flowers refused to renew her visit visa after she realized that it was illegal to work in the Kingdom with such papers.“As soon as I was made aware that none of the teachers would be given proper work visas, I wanted to return to the United States as quickly as possible. Therefore, I refused to renew my visa and told my company that I wanted to leave Saudi Arabia immediately,” she said. “How can such a company bring teachers on visit visas that are renewed every 90 days to work since it is against the labor regulations? Why did the proper Saudi government authorities do nothing when I went to them to file complaints?”The company was supposed to fly her out at 6:15 a.m. on Jan. 15, but it failed to provide a driver or escort to finalize the exit procedures.“They ignored all my attempts to get them to fly me out the following week before my visa expired. I made a number of attempts to give the company the opportunity to redress their crimes and human rights violations. Instead, I was subjected to harassment, threats and even attempts to abduct me in the middle of the night,” Flowers said, adding that she was denied medical care and practically starved to death.At present, the hotel where the teacher has been staying in Riyadh has asked her to vacate her room since her sponsor has withdrawn tenancy of the room. It has warned her that the power supply to the room will be disconnected if she fails to leave.“Now I am penniless and homeless,” Flowers said.“The company lied, threatened and harassed me, left me with no resources whatsoever, and yet they claim it's my fault. I've broken the law and I'm a criminal and they're not responsible?” she said.She said she feels that all this happened due to a human resources officer’s personal vendetta against her.“The company owes me both compensatory and punitive damages for their human rights violations and crimes against me,” Flowers said, recalling that three Western women provided her food after she placed an online advertisement to teach English in exchange for food.Arab News attempted to contact the human resources officer, but there was no response.Read the full story here.
- “One Shock” Away from World Food Crisis.(Bloomberg).World Bank President Robert Zoellick said the global economy is “one shock away” from a crisis in food supplies and prices.Zoellick estimated 44 million people have fallen into poverty due to rising food prices in the past year, and a 10 percent increase in the food price index would send 10 million more people into poverty. The United Nations FAO Food Price index jumped 25 percent last year, the second-steepest increase since at least 1991, and surged to a record in February.Food price inflation is “the biggest threat today to the world’s poor,” Zoellick said at a press conference following meetings of the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund. “We are one shock away from a full-blown crisis.”“For most commodities, stocks are relatively low,” he said. “You have one other weather event in some of these areas and you really take a danger zone and start to push people over the edge.”Zoellick said he opposes export bans that nations use to depress local commodity prices for their citizens, lifting costs for consumers in other countries.Farmers in Russia, once the second-biggest wheat exporter, are planting the fewest acres in four years, in part because a government export ban kept prices low, a Bloomberg survey of producers, traders and analysts showed last month. India, the largest grower after China, is mulling lifting an export ban in place since 2007 as harvests may reach a record for a fourth straight year, Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar said this month.Economic growth “is leveling off after a post-crisis recovery,” Zoellick said. “The question now is whether it’s strong enough to reduce unemployment, particularly in developed countries. Inflation is up in developing countries, and this could lead to overheating or asset price bubbles.”Read the full story here.
- CAN: Charity that aided Muslim countries sent $15M to Hamas.(TheStar).Nearly $15 million of Canadian charitable donations were sent overseas to groups the taxman has labelled terrorist organizations, according to a federal audit obtained by the Toronto Star.The audit states that International Relief Fund for the Afflicted and Needy Canada (IRFAN-Canada) used "deceptive fundraising" to support Hamas.The Canada Revenue Agency announced its decision to revoke the status of the Mississauga-based charity last week. A lawyer for IRFAN-Canada said the charity has appealed the decision."Canada Revenue Agency's position is really built on a pillar of sand," said Naseer Syed.However, a CRA report states that "IRFAN-Canada is an integral part of an international fundraising effort to support Hamas." Hamas is considered a terrorist organization by Canada, the U.S., the European Union and Israel.IRFAN-Canada created promotional videos that the CRA said "demonize Israel, characterize the Arab-Israeli conflict as a religious war, appeal for all Arab and Muslim nations to join in the struggle against Israel and glorify martyrdom."But Syed said the CRA overstated the political content.The CRA said IRFAN-Canada has damaged the integrity of the Canadian charity system.The audit found that the charity redistributed more than $580,000 raised for disaster relief projects to sponsor programs in the West Bank and Gaza. Donors had earmarked donations to specific disasters, including the 2004 tsunami, the 2006 South Asia earthquake, the 2006 Indonesia earthquake, the 2007 Bangladesh cyclone, the 2008 Burma cyclone, the 2008 Pakistan earthquake and the 2008 Indonesia earthquake.However, Syed said some of those funds have already been spent on their designated disaster relief while the rest will remain in IRFAN-Canada's general bank account until suitable projects are selected.The audit also found that the charity failed to maintain proper records. The records the charity did provide for the audit period were often an "after-the-fact paper exercise" that showed it distributed $19 million in Canadian funds and $17 million in gifts-in-kind for projects outside Canada during that period.The audit established that $13 million of the gifts-in-kind were transferred to organization with ties to Hamas.Stockwell Day raised the charity's alleged link to Hamas in Parliament when he was an opposition MP in 2004. He asked the Liberal government to investigate.Day referenced a Privy Council report sent to Prime Minister Jean Chretien in 2000 that listed Povrel Jerusalem Fund for Human Services (JFHS) as a Canadian group with links to terrorist organizations.The audit suggests that JFHS and IRFAN-Canada were consolidated in 2001. under the leadership of Rasem Abdel-Majid. The report states the consolidation was concealed, "leading us to consider the strong possibility that this exercise was intended to circumvent the CRA's refusal to grant JFHS registration as a charity."Syed said IRFAN-Canada was formed independently and later acquired some assets from JFHS.Though the IRFAN-Canada is no longer a charity, it still operates as a not-for profit organization.Hmmmm.......Hurry,hurry ....declare them a state?Read the full story here.
- Europe's Anti-Islamic Parties on the Move.(DanielPipes).Elections in Finland today saw the True Finns Party (PS) win 39 out of 200 seats in parliament, a huge increase over its 1 parliamentary seat in 1999, 3 in 2003, and 5 in 2007. In percentage terms, they went from 1, 2, and 4 percent of the vote to 19 percent.This surge typifies the enormous strides by right-wing insurgent parties which typically emphasize such issues as immigration, cultural continuity, multiculturalism and Islamification.For a graphic of where such parties now stand across Europe, see the helpful graphic, "Europe's Right Turn," published by Der Spiegel just before the Finnish election.To generalize: Anti-Islamic sentiments are now outpacing Islam in Europe.Hmmmm......."CHANGE"?Read the full story here.
- HT:SultanKnish.Muslims Are Not a Minority.The most persistent myth of the Western Dhimmi narrative is that Muslims are a minority and must receive special protection and accommodation. But Muslims are not a minority. There are 1.5 billion Sunni Muslims worldwide, outweighing Catholics as the next largest religious faction at 1.1 billion and Hindus at 1 billion. They are still a minority of the overall population in Western countries, but a demographically trending majority.In the UK more people attend mosques than the Church of England, that makes Muslims the largest functioning religious group there. Mohammed was the most popular baby name last year, ahead of Jack and Harry. In France, in this generation, more mosques have been built than Catholic churches and in southern France there are already more mosques than churches. Mohammed-Amine is the most popular double name, ahead of Jean-Baptiste, Pierre-Louis, Leo-Paul and Mohammed-Ali. In Belgium, 50 percent of newborns are Muslim and empty Belgian churches are being turned into mosques. The most popular baby name is Mohammed and of the top 7 baby names, 6 were Muslim. A quarter of Amsterdam, Marseilles and Rotterdam and a fifth of Stockholm is already Muslim. The most popular baby name in Amsterdam, Utrecht, Rotterdam and The Hague is... Mohammed. Europe's Muslim population doubled in the last generation, and is set to double again. By 2025, (a decade and a half away), a third of all births in the EU will be Muslim. The demographic writing is already on the wall. A third of Muslims in France and Germany are teenagers or younger, as compared to a fifth of the native population. A third of Muslims in the UK and Belgium are under 15 versus a fifth of the native population. Counting all age groups, they're a minority. But in generational demographics, Muslims are swiftly becoming a majority.Muslims in America and Europe are still numerical minorities, but they act like majorities. And they are doing everything they can to become majorities. Treating them like minorities is a mistake, that Europe has already come to regret and that we are only beginning to learn the folly of. Muslims can either be a minority or a majority. If they choose to act like a majority, imposing their culture, religion and worldview on others-- then they should be treated like one.Hmmmm.......Majority rules?Read the full story here.
- Belarus - West Puzzled by Lukashenko's Clampdown on Weak Opposition.(DerSpiegel).Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko no longer leaves the house without Kolya, his favorite son, the product of an extramarital affair with a personal physician he got rid of long ago. The six-year-old boy has been by his side during government talks, corporate visits and an audience with the pope in Rome. Kolya was with his father once again last Monday, April 11, hardly two hours after the bomb attack in Minsk's Oktyabrskaya metro station. They stood together holding hands -- both dressed in black, both with somber demeanors -- on a train platform that was still covered in blood. There, they laid red carnations in silence to commemorate the 13 people who died.
Lukashenko is a lonely man, which explains his demonstrative displays of affection for his son. But since he's also a consummate actor and demagogue, he has devised a political role for his son. He knows that people are touched when they see a strong man with a young boy on his hand. It makes them think his main priorities are order and stability.But what kind of order does he represent? Late Wednesday, Lukashenko told his people that the calm situation in Belarus "had lulled us to sleep." But this time, he continued, officials from the KGB, the country's security service, had done a "brilliant" job in tracking down the men who perpetrated the metro station attack and getting them to confess. The alleged culprits are a lathe operator and an electrician from the provinces.
"Holy cow!" wrote one Belarusian blogger. "After being arrested at 9 p.m., they admitted to several attacks in recent years -- down to the really small ones -- by 5 a.m. They must be using some really cutting-edge interrogation techniques! Is Belarus about to face another 1937, when the show trials were held in Moscow against suspected regime opponents?"That can't be ruled out, although there are indications that the suspected assailants had no political motives. Lukashenko has already announced that he will impose the "strictest order and organization possible" and that the police regiments brought into the city would remain there for the time being. He also said that the all the "gibberish about democracy one wants to impose on us" was absurd and that the people who ordered the bombing -- and who inspired it -- should be sought out in the "fifth column."By "fifth column," Lukashenko means the opposition. Indeed, the president has directed all his scorn at the opposition since the presidential elections held on Dec. 19, 2010. After the autocrat supposedly won 79.7 percent of the vote, most of the opposition candidates joined tens of thousands of demonstrators outside the main government building to protest against suspected electoral fraud and to demand that Lukashenko step down.
Security forces brutally suppressed the demonstration, injuring at least 100 people and arresting some 700. Once it was over, the president boasted that his forces had "reinstated order in seven and a half minutes."Immediately after the demonstration, Lukashenko locked up seven of the nine presidential candidates who had run against him. Two of them are still being held. Although the seven others have been released, they are either being held under house arrest or have been forced to agree to help the KGB. One former candidate, who has since found refuge in the Czech Republic, reports that KGB officers abused and humiliated him.The mills of justice are now grinding relentlessly. Several of the December 19 demonstrators have already been sentenced to between three-and-a-half and four years in prison, and the former presidential candidates are about to face trial. As one Western diplomat put it, the trials will be part of a "general reckoning with the opposition."The West has responded by severing ties with Belarus. To protest against the treatment of regime opponents, the EU banned 177 Belarusian politicians, judges, prosecutors and journalists from entering EU territory. In response, Lukashenko made it clear that Western visitors would not be welcomed in Belarus.Lukashenko has even bad-mouthed German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle as a "fairy" and claimed that Westerwelle had offered him support when he and Poland's foreign minister had visited Minsk before the election. If "people want to try to frighten us with sanctions, no problem" he said, adding that Belarus would become "the Chechnya of the West."
Is it possible that Lukashenko himself is behind the metro attack? Though it's highly unlikely, the explosions certainly did come at a curious moment, when all the country's problems seem to be piling up. Lukashenko has always known how to turn such situations to his own advantage. He is the most agile of all post-Soviet politicians. And as one biography of him published in Moscow puts it, Lukashenko has succeeded with impunity in "creating a closed society right in the middle of Europe." But now he has become a hostage of his own system, and one that cannot survive without constantly searching for new enemies.Hmmmm......."Лукашенко в День дурака уехал в колхоз"Read the full story here.
- And now for something completely different.From Israeli Shores with Love: A Floating Knight Rider.Meet the Silver Marlin, an 11-meter unmanned surface vessel that’s currently residing in Haifa harbor. It’s built by Elbit Systems, whose American offshoot is manning the showroom floor on Monday at the Navy League’s annual Sea Air Space confab just outside Washington. It’s just your standard autonomous robot boat, armed with a .50-caliber machine gun, maneuvering around buoys in a harbor thanks to its package of electro-optic sensors and 360-degree panoramic cameras.So, um. The Knight Rider of boats? “That’s exactly right,” says retired Rear Adm. Mark Milliken, a vice president for Elbit’s U.S. branch.Simpsons nerds will recall that Bart gets disillusioned with the seafaring Kitt when he realizes the show’s writers lazily sneak in fjords or inlets to the plots so it can fight crime. The Silver Marlin isn’t as contrived in its relevance: coastal defense; or protecting an offshore oil rig; or, say, placement “in front of a small flotilla,” Milliken says. (Before you ask: the vessel’s been in development for about two and a half years, he explains, well before last year’s Gaza flotilla incident.)Elbit wants to convince the U.S. Navy of the virtues of its robo-boat for other missions, too: launch from a Littoral Combat Ship to protect against small-boat “swarming” threats to the Navy’s close-to-the-coast tactics. Or even counterpiracy. While the Silver Marlin can operate autonomously, a satellite downlink to a control station puts it in remote control mode. Which is what you want, Milliken notes, when you’re talking about firing a weapon at a hostile craft.Might not be such a hard sell: the Navy’s been experimenting with the concept of drone vessels for years, and particularly with an eye toward thwarting pirates. Its long-range research division, the Office of Naval Research, reconfigured existing boats to turn them into drones. Send ‘em into maritime danger without fear they’ll be blown up. “So long as there’s not a human on board,” Milliken says, “I’m not so concerned with survivability.”Hmmmm..........Tora , Tora?Read and see the full story here.