Wednesday, February 9, 2011
- Egypt volatile situation - Al Jazeera English - Live Streams From Egypt ! Here .
- Egypt protests on Twitter! here.
- Liveblog - Egypt's protests erupt. here.
- Al Qa'ida group calls for jihad in Egypt.AL-QA'IDA front group The Islamic State of Iraq has called on Egyptian protesters to wage jihad and push for the establishment of a government based on Islamic law. The statement, which appears to be the first reaction of any group affiliated with Al-Qa'ida to the ongoing protests in Egypt, was issued on jihadist forums on February 8, the US-based SITE monitoring service said.The message, addressed to the protesters, says that the "market of jihad" has opened in Egypt and "the doors of martyrdom have opened," and every able-bodied man must participate.The group urged Egyptians to ignore the "ignorant deceiving ways" of secularism, democracy, and "rotten pagan nationalism.""Your jihad," the message said, is in support of Islam, the weak and oppressed in Egypt, for "your people" in Gaza and Iraq, and "for every Muslim who was touched by the oppression of the tyrant of Egypt and his masters in Washington and Tel Aviv," read a translation of the text provided by the SITE Intelligence Group.Hmmmm....."Change".Read the full story here.
- World tallest man looking for other half. Sultan Kösen from Turkey’s Mardin province, who currently holds the Guinness World Record for tallest man in the world, said he would like to get married and start a family, speaking to journalists from his hospital bed on Wednesday. Kösen is being treated for acromegaly, a disorder caused by too much growth hormone in the body. Kösem said he wanted to get healthy first and then lead a normal life. He said he wanted to start a family but would need to find a job first to be able to provide for his family. “I need a job first and then I can get married and have children. Aren’t such things also my right?” he asked.“I have the biggest hands in the world. These hands have the capacity to do everything. My hands are 29 centimeters long. My feet are 40 centimeters long, my shoe size is 60.”He said he would like to marry someone preferably from the same culture, language and religion as himself.Kösen first contacted Medicana International Ankara Hospital on Dec. 16, and was admitted for long-term treatment three days later. The hospital has provided a special-sized bed for the 2.47-meter tall, 147 kilogram man and is covering his treatment expenses.Read the full story here.
- HT:PajamasMedia.Democracy or Jew-Hatred? More Evidence of Anti-Semitism at the Egypt Protests.There is massive evidence to be found in the Western media of anti-Semitism and “anti-Zionism” at the Egypt protests. But images in the flickr streams of amateur local photographers are even more shocking and unambiguous.In response to my PJM article documenting anti-Semitic imagery at the Egyptian protests, I’ve received several comments — both in public and in private — suggesting that, nevertheless, anti-Semitic and/or “anti-Zionist” sentiment among the protestors has played only a marginal role. The assurances to this effect are typically based on the first-hand accounts of Western observers or English-speaking participants with Western contacts. These accounts are supposed somehow to trump the clear pictorial evidence to the contrary.The appearance of anti-Semitic and/or “anti-Zionist” motifs in the photos and videos of the protests is, however, simply too widespread and systematic for such assurances to reassure. Such images are to be found in video and photographic material from virtually every major Western news organization present in Egypt. This fact is all the more significant when one considers that the reports published or broadcast by these very same news organizations have as a rule outright ignored any anti-Semitic or anti-Israeli sentiment among the protestors. Indeed, as will be seen below, even more outrageous images figure prominently in the flickr streams of amateur local photographers.Herewith further evidence.Read and see the full story here.
- Turkish PM warns Israel not to mess with a Muslim state.'Erdogan: Israel must not intervene in Egypt's matters'.Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Monday that "Israel must under no circumstance interfere" in what is happening in Egypt, Turkish daily Huriyyet reported.Speaking to a group of reporters at the opening of a "friendship bridge" between Turkey and Syria, Erdogan said he had made this point to US President Barack Obama and Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou, adding that they should intervene to stop Israel should it be "inclined to meddle in Egypt in a last-ditch effort to try and turn the tide against the anti-Mubarak demonstrators," Huriyyet reported.The Turkish paper analyzed Erdogan's statement, saying that it indicates that Israel and Greece "are likely to cozy up to each other in an effort to give the appearance that they are standing together against Turkey."Also on Tuesday, Egypt sent an official letter of protest to Turkey on Tuesday about Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's comments on the protests in Egypt.Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit wrote to his Turkish counterpart Ahmet Davutoglu that Egypt reject's Erdogan's call for Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak to resign.The letter explained that Egypt sees these words as intervention in internal matters and incitement.Gheit also called on Turkey not to publish more statements that can harm the relations between the two countries.Read the full story here.
- WikiLeaks cables: Saudi Arabia cannot pump enough oil to keep a lid on prices.US diplomat convinced by Saudi expert that reserves of world's biggest oil exporter have been overstated by nearly 40%.The US fears that Saudi Arabia, the world's largest crude oil exporter, may not have enough reserves to prevent oil prices escalating, confidential cables from its embassy in Riyadh show.The cables, released by WikiLeaks, urge Washington to take seriously a warning from a senior Saudi government oil executive that the kingdom's crude oil reserves may have been overstated by as much as 300bn barrels – nearly 40%.The revelation comes as the oil price has soared in recent weeks to more than $100 a barrel on global demand and tensions in the Middle East. Many analysts expect that the Saudis and their Opec cartel partners would pump more oil if rising prices threatened to choke off demand.However, Sadad al-Husseini, a geologist and former head of exploration at the Saudi oil monopoly Aramco, met the US consul general in Riyadh in November 2007 and told the US diplomat that Aramco's 12.5m barrel-a-day capacity needed to keep a lid on prices could not be reached.According to the cables, which date between 2007-09, Husseini said Saudi Arabia might reach an output of 12m barrels a day in 10 years but before then – possibly as early as 2012 – global oil production would have hit its highest point. This crunch point is known as "peak oil".In the last two years, other senior energy analysts have backed Husseini. Fatih Birol, chief economist to the International Energy Agency, told the Guardian last year that conventional crude output could plateau in 2020, a development that was "not good news" for a world still heavily dependent on petroleum.Jeremy Leggett, convenor of the UK Industry Taskforce on Peak Oil and Energy Security, said: "We are asleep at the wheel here: choosing to ignore a threat to the global economy that is quite as bad as the credit crunch, quite possibly worse."Hmmmmm........We have heard about Peak oil before ,meanwhile it comes at a convenient time to push the electric car agenda?Read the full story here.More here and here .
- HT:Newsbusters.Chris Matthews Calls Palin 'A Cuckoo Clock' and Gingrich 'A Mortal Enemy to Our Civilization'.Former House Majority Leader Dick Armey said Monday that MSNBC's Chris Matthews "seems to be slipping out of touch with reality."On Tuesday, the "Hardball" host proved Armey's point by calling Sarah Palin "a cuckoo clock" and Newt Gingrich "a mortal enemy to our civilization" (video follows with transcript and commentary).Read and see the full story here.
- Marmara hits stage in anti-Israel play.'We are presenting Israel's inhuman actions against Palestinians,' says director of play on flotilla raid."Our goal is not to allow anyone to forget the Zionist raid on the Marmara and to remember the suffering of the Palestinian people, who are being tormented by Israeli actions," explained director Avşin Bedir.He added that in preparation for the play, he and the 22 actors watched footage from the Marmara raid as well as "torture videos from US and Israeli interrogations". Bedir added, "When the tape ended I was left alone in the classroom. No one could stand to watch the videos to the end."The director added that during the raid, he had rushed to the Israeli embassy in Istanbul. "I felt like my hands were tied while the army murdered innocent people. As part of the Muslim people, we are glad there were martyrs on board the Marmara, and we want to do our part," he said.Rafael Sadi, spokesman for the Organization of Turkish Immigrants in Israel, explained that the anti-Israeli trend in Turkey is proliferating."Not all Turks think this way, and many far from it, but unfortunately this is what the government displays out of political aims. Thus, a play which could have been marginal is receiving a lot of press. Many youths are exposed to this incitement and the de-legitimization of Israel gets worse," Sadi said.hmmmmm.......Indeed "The lights went out not only over Europe but over all civilised people"it's time for Israel to realise that Erdogan's hatred for Israel is only Matched by Ahmadinejad's hatred.Read the full story here.
- Oxford University students secretly served Muslim halal meat.Hundreds of students at Oxford University were fuming after learning they had been secretly served Muslim halal meat.Toff students were not warned their meals came from animals that were slaughtered by having their throats slit without being stunned.The killing method ordered by Islamic law has been condemned as ”barbarically cruel” by animal rights groups.But a Freedom of Information request revealed 17 colleges at Oxford University routinely served up meat from animals butchered using the halal method.Catering firm Field Fresh Farms, which supplies food to the colleges including posh St Catherine’s and Brasenose, confirmed the meat was halal prepared.Students expressed outrage their food had been halal prepared without their knowledge.A Brasenose undergraduate said: ”It’s absolutely outrageous. We eat our food on good faith the animal has not undergone undue suffering.”This is a huge deception, whatever your religious views people have a right to know where their food came from.”Muslims would expect to be informed if the food on offer was not halal, it is only right for non-Muslims to be treated with the same courtesy.”Another student told Cherwell: ”I don’t like the idea that we have been eating halal meat without knowing.”I don’t object to it on principle because it’s part of the Muslim religion and that’s fair enough, but we should have been told so that we could make an informed choice. ”Some people might not want to eat halal meat for ethical reasons, and they should be given the option not to.”Hmmm.......A not so "kosher" story?Read the full story here.
- "Life or Death in Iran's prisons".Imprisoned Protester Dies of Kidney Failure After Being Denied Treatment.After 1 year, 2 months and 26 days of imprisonment, another Green Movement supporter, Arash Arkan, has died of a kidney failure three days after he was hospitalized.According to Iran-Emrooz, Arash Arkan died at the Baghiyatollah hospital at around 2pm on January 29th after a deterioration of his health condition in prison. He was recently granted a prison leave after his kidney disease worsened in Evin, but was soon called back to prison depriving him from receiving the medical attention that he required. Soon after his return to prison, Arkan’s condition deteriorated and just three days prior to his death, he was taken to Baghiatallah hospital—associated with the Revolutionary Guards—where he passed away due to kidney failure.Arash Arkan was arrested on 4 November 2009 while helping a protester who was being chased by the police for having taken pictures from an opposition protests close to Vali-Asr Square in Tehran. According to Iran-Emrooz, Arkan, who had realised that a young protester was in danger of being arrested by Iranian security forces for the sole “crime” of filming the unrest using his mobile phone, quickly intervened and attempted to trip one of the security forces to allow for the protester to flee the scene. Although Arkan’s heroic act helped his fellow Iranian to run away, it wasn’t enough to to save himself from the batons of the police forces present at the scene.It is noteworthy that Arash Arkan’s lawyer was convinced that conducting interviews with foreign television stations and publicising the case would further complicate the situation and damage their case, which is why the plight of this particular prisoner was never reflected in both the Iranian as well as the international press.When Arash was freed from prison for a few days prior to the court’s decision, he was asked, “If you could go back in time, would you be prepared to help that youngster again?”“Without hesitation,” replied Arash Arkan.Hmmm....These are the real martirs PM Erdogan why don't you speak up now??Read the full story here.
- HT:Csmonitor.Are you smarter than a US diplomat? Take our Foreign Service Exam.Diplomats working for the US Foreign Service are responsible for carrying out the policy of the United States. In order to serve at one of the 265 US diplomatic missions around the world, applicants must pass a series of examinations. The tests consist of a job knowledge test, English language test, essays, oral exams, and a qualifications panel. Our 20 questions are modeled after the job knowledge portion of the Foreign Service Officer's test. The real examination consists of 60 questions and is administered over 40 minutes. Think you know enough to become a US diplomat? Take our quiz.Take the quiz here.
- Obama’s Claim That He Did Not Raise Taxes Is Rejected As ‘Blatantly False’ by Taxpayer Watchdog.President Obama’s assertion on Sunday that he “didn’t raise taxes once” is “blatantly false,” a taxpayer watchdog group says. Obama made the claim in his pre-Super Bowl interview with Fox News host Bill O’Reilly. According to Americans for Tax Reform (ATR), President Obama has signed into law at least two dozen tax increases. The first one – a federal tobacco tax hike – came just 16 days into his presidency. ATR says the $1 trillion health care overhaul alone added numerous taxes, including the individual mandate that requires most Americans to purchase health insurance or else pay a fine.The health care law also includes a tax on medical device manufacturers, as well as a higher tax on withdrawals from health savings accounts and a cap on flexible spending accounts. Other taxes in the health care law cited by ATR include a surtax on investment income, an excise tax on comprehensive health insurance plans, a hike the in the Medicare payroll tax and a tax on indoor tanning services. On Feb. 4, 2009, Obama signed a federal tobacco tax hike, raising the excise tax 62 cents per pack. Critics, including ATR, said that tax alone violated Obama’s campaign pledge not to raise taxes on couples earning less than $250,000 and on individuals earning less than $200,000. During Sunday’s interview, Bill O’Reilly asked Obama if he is “a man who wants to redistribute wealth,” as The Wall Street Journal has described him. The president denied it, again saying, “I didn't raise taxes once; I lowered taxes over the last two years.” “Over 90 percent of the dollar value of the tax cuts Obama signed into law are only temporary,” said ATR. “100 percent of the tax increases Obama signed into law are, however, permanent … Permanent changes to tax law signed by Obama amount to a net tax hike of $618.7 billion.”Hmmmmm.....What he says and what he does are two different things.....Anyone in need of snakeoil?Read the full story here.
- HT:JudicialWatch.Obamacare Defense Initiative Secretly Funded.A top Democratic adviser convicted in a major political scandal as a legislative aide will help lead a new initiative to defend President Obama’s highly unpopular healthcare overhaul. Despite her shady past, the consultant (Tanya Bjork) was hired by Obama to head his 2008 presidential campaign in Wisconsin. Now she’ll join forces with another one of the president’s top campaign strategists (Paul Tewes) to fend off Republican criticism of Obamacare through the 2012 elections. Although the president has filled many sound bites chastising special-interest money in politics, funding for the new group is being kept secret. It’s fair to assume however, that the payroll will be quite exorbitant considering the players involved in the new Obamacare defense initiative are high-profile Democratic “political consultants” who command big bucks for their work. Organizers assure they’ll operate independently of the White House and Democrats in Congress, though they acknowledge that they will “be in communication with them.” This may be difficult to swallow considering the cause and who’s running the momentous new enterprise, which is expected to be headquartered a stone’s throw from the Oval Office. The healthcare law defense initiative will be largely headed by Tewes, a key figure in Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign and the man credited with his shocking Iowa Caucus victory. In fact, Tewes is touted by his Washington D.C. consulting firm (New Partners) as the guy who launched “Obama’s historic campaign” by building the “largest grassroots organization in caucus history.”After working on Obama’s presidential campaign Wisconsin’s former governor, Democrat Jim Doyle, awarded Bjork with a six-figure job to lead the state’s federal lobbying effort. The move ignited fury among government watchdog groups that claimed corruption was still prevalent in state politics.Hmmm.....A Man Is Known By The Company He Keeps?Read the full story here.
- UAE strategic food stock is very low.Stockpile is enough only for 10 days compared to six-month international rate: FNC.The UAE’s strategic food stockpile is so low that it will last for only around ten days, far below the accepted international rate of six months to one year, the Federal National Council (FNC) has said.Concerns about the low food stockpile in the second largest Arab economy were the main topic of a debate by the FNC’s foreign affairs, planning and oil panel at its meeting on Tuesday, the Arabic language daily 'Emarat Al Youm' reported on Wednesday.“The country’s strategic food stockpile is sufficient for only 10 days…this poses a major threat in case of emergency or a crisis that could disrupt the UAE’s food imports,” the panel said.“The UAE currently does not have a food stockpile on par with accepted international norms, which stipulate that the stock should cover a period of six months to one year…the present supplies at all cooperative societies will last only for 10 days.”According to the panel, the UAE’s food consumption is growing by as fast as 12 per cent a year because of the high population growth. It noted that the country is still heavily reliant on farm imports despite efforts to achieve self sufficiency in some products, with such imports providing nearly 68 per cent of the country’s total food needs.The UAE is the largest food importer in the Arab region after Saudi Arabia, with its farm bill exceeding $eight billion in 2010.Read the full story here.
- HT:InvestigativeProject.CAIR's Self-Serving Third Jihad Complaint. The Council on American-Islamic Relations' protest that the documentary The Third Jihad smears Muslims reveals more about CAIR's desire to hide its record than any concern for the civil rights of Muslim Americans.Narrated by M. Zuhdi Jasser, a Muslim who challenges groups such as CAIR, The Third Jihad details how CAIR was created shortly after a secret 1993 meeting in Philadelphia involving members of the Muslim Brotherhood's Palestine Committee. Their goal was to lead opposition to the 1993 Oslo accords and generate support for Hamas, the terrorist organization that now runs the government in Gaza.Records of that October 1993 conference, which was tapped by federal law enforcement officials, detail how CAIR's founders Nihad Awad and Omar Ahmad were present as the group discussed the need to create a pro-Hamas advocacy group that would not be tied publicly to Hamas. Shukri Abu-Baker, then the president of the Holy Land Foundation for Relief and Development, a Hamas financial support arm, explained the idea. "We will form an organization for you to show the Americans that you are … [unintelligible]," he said. "It will be made up of some of our people, our beloved ones, and let's not hoist a large Islamic flag and let's not be barbaric-talking. We will remain a front so that if the thing happens, we will benefit from the new happenings instead of having all of our organizations classified and exposed."In testimony, FBI case agent Lara Burns said CAIR was created after the Philadelphia meeting and pointed to an exhibit which shows CAIR listed on a Palestine Committee agenda within weeks of its 1994 creation.The FBI cited that evidence in explaining why it cut off formal communication with the group. "Until we can resolve whether there continues to be a connection between CAIR or its executives and HAMAS," FBI Assistant Director Richard C. Powers wrote in April 2009, "the FBI does not view CAIR as an appropriate liaison partner."The Third Jihad also shows CAIR officials refusing to denounce Hamas or Hizballah as terrorist organizations and cites an internal Muslim Brotherhood document submitted in the federal trial of the Holy Land Foundation for Relief and Development that shows how the Brotherhood wants to create a global Islamic state.CAIR officials, it seems, have never seen a documentary, article or planned congressional investigation of radical Islam they consider "unbiased." Nor, it seems, have they found any law enforcement investigation of radical Islam worthy of their support. All of which makes it quite troubling that the leaders of the police department in the city most victimized by radical Muslim terrorists would roll over so easily.Hmmmm......Congressman King has still loads of work ahead.Read the full story here.
- Gingrich "The Muslim Brotherhood is a mortal enemy of our civilization, they say so openly".Gingrich says Obama administration 'amateurish' on Egypt. Former Republican House Speaker Newt Gingrich said he's "concerned" about the Obama administration's handling of the situation in Egypt and what he sees as a divide between the White House and diplomat Franks Wisner."I think the fact that they appointed a very able diplomat Frank Wisner and within two days were publicly contradicting him is you know so amateurish," Gingrich told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King. "I was with John Bolton (former ambassador to the United Nations) last night. He said it's inconceivable that they would be this clumsy and this out of sync. I mean just with themselves, forget the Arab world. They can't even get the White House and their special envoy to be on the same page."Gingrich also said he's worried that the United States might reach out to the Muslim Brotherhood, an opposition Islamist umbrella group in the country."I think this is absolute total misreading of history. The Muslim Brotherhood is a mortal enemy of our civilization, they say so openly," Gingrich said."Reagan did what he believed in when he thought it was right," Gingrich said. "I frankly try to study Reagan and (Margaret) Thatcher and (Abraham) Lincoln because I think they were the great truth tellers of modern politics, sometimes when telling the truth people in the establishment go nuts because it's not the truth they want to hear."Hmmm......There's nothing more dissturbing then the naked truth.Read the full story here.
- Main tribal groups say queen Rania spends while Jordanians suffer.Jordan tribes criticize queen's role in politics.Jordanian tribal figures have issued a petition urging King Abdullah to end his Palestinian wife's role in politics, in a new challenge to the monarch grappling with fallout from uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt.Evoking comparisons with the wives of Tunisia's former strongman Zine al Abidine Ben Ali and Egypt's President Hosni Mubarak, the signatories attacked Queen Rania's Palestinian origin and accused her of using state funds to promote her image abroad without concern for the hardship of ordinary Jordanians.The 36 figures are drawn from conservative East Bank tribes who form the backbone of the Hashemite monarchy's support -- as opposed to Jordanians of Palestinian, or West Bank, origin who are the majority of the country's seven million population."She is building power centers for her interest that go against what Jordanians and Hashemites have agreed on in governing and is a danger to the nation and the structure of the state and the political structure and the institution of the throne," the petition said."Disregard for the content of the statement will throw us into what happened in Tunis and Egypt and what will happen in other Arab countries," it added.Publicly attacking royal figures is taboo in Jordan under tough sedition or lese majeste rules that limit discussion of Jordan's royal family.But the signatories, drawn from within the ruling hierarchy's chief tribal groups such as the Bani Sakhr, Abadi, Shobaki and Manaseer, said their concern for the country and throne had prompted them to speak out.The signatories said the legitimacy of Jordan's Hashemite monarchy, which claims descent from Islam's Prophet Mohammad, depended on the consent of the East Bank tribes.Mindful of the status of the monarch, Faris al-Fayez, who helped draft the petition, told Reuters the statement emphasized that aside from the monarch there should be no "legal immunity for any corrupt person regardless of his title."The petition is the most sweeping personal attack on the 40-year-old queen since East Bank fans at high profile soccer match chanted slogans denigrating her Palestinian background and even urging the monarch to divorce her.Political analyst Labib Qamhawi said Rania's Palestinian background meant she was an easy target for critics seeking to portray her as non-Jordanian, even though she is not the first queen to hail from outside the East Bank. King Hussein -- Abdullah's father -- had four wives, none of them East Bankers.Hmmmm......."It's" Spreading faster and more contagious then the flu.Read the full story here.
- House seen blocking healthcare funds.The U.S. House of Representatives is likely to vote to block funding for President Barack Obama's signature healthcare overhaul when it takes up a budget plan next week, House Republican Leader Eric Cantor said on Tuesday."I expect to see one way or other the product coming out of the House to speak to that and to preclude any funding to be used for that," Cantor said at a news conference, referring to an effort to block implementation of the health-care law.House Republicans aim to pass a spending measure next week that would immediately cut at least $32 billion from the government's $3.7 trillion budget in an effort to trim budget deficits that could hit an estimated $1.5 trillion this year.A move by Republicans to block healthcare law funds will help set the stage for partisan battle over spending that some lawmakers fear could lead to a government shutdown.Hmmmmm......Und Der Führer ("the Leader") will say i don't care for your petty laws?Read the full story here.
- Michelle Obama defends Super Bowl menu: Healthy eating about "moderation".WASHINGTON--First Lady Michelle Obama, discussing healthy eating the day before the first anniversary of her "Let's Move" anti-obesity campaign, defended the White House Super Bowl menu which included bratwurst, kielbasa, cheeseburgers and deep dish pizza.The point is balance, not deprivation, Mrs. Obama said at Tuesday lunch with reporters who cover her East Wing. "I like to talk about my obsession with French fries because I don't want people to think that "Let's Move" is about complete, utter deprivation. It is about moderation and real life changes and ideas that really work for families, today's families too.It is not necessary or "realistic" to eat healthy food every day and Super Bowl Sunday is a day made for an exception, Mrs. Obama said."I don't even know what you'd have other than some hot dogs and some burgers for a Super Bowl party. That's what Super Bowl is, so the message has always been about balance."Hmmmmm.......It's OK for me ,but bad for you paupers?Read the full story here.
- GM Said to Pay Union Workers Bonuses of More Than $3,000.Feb. 8 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Co. may pay its 53,000 unionized hourly U.S. staff record profit-sharing checks of more than $3,000 per worker, two people familiar with the plan said.The company hasn’t determined a specific amount and may change its plans after completing accounting for 2010, said the people, who asked not to be named because the plans haven’t been publicly disclosed. GM’s previous highest payout was $1,775 in 1999, according to the Center for Automotive Research.Sharing the U.S. auto industry’s prosperity will be a focus of contract talks this year between the United Auto Workers and GM, Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler Group LLC. UAW President Bob King has said he aims to recover some of the $7,000 to $30,000 in concessions each worker gave up since 2005 to help U.S. automakers survive the worst market in decades.“This is probably more than workers were eligible for so that they’ll feel good going into negotiations, which makes this a pre-signing bonus,” said Sean McAlinden, a former auto worker who’s now chief economist for the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, Michigan. “Lump-sum payments like this could make up 12 percent to 15 percent of compensation in the next contract.”Hmmmm......How about Sharing with those unemployed taxpayers who bailed your sorry ass out?Read the full scandal story here.
- HT:IsraelMatzav.UNESCO asked to declare terror attack site a World Heritage site. As part of its drive for 'statehood,' the 'Palestinian Authority' has asked UNESCO to declare Bethlehem's Church of the Nativity a World Heritage site. It would be the first World Heritage site in the 'Palestinian territories' (That's the Washington Post's and the AP's determination - I'm glad to see they admit that Rachel's tomb is not part of the 'Palestinian territories'. Yes I screen captured the page). The Palestinians say they asked UNESCO in January to place the Church of the Nativity on its list of the world's most important cultural sites.No sites under Palestinian control are on the list because Palestinians do not have a state recognized by the U.N.Palestinian officials say they hope the site's overwhelming cultural significance will sway member states to approve the request. A decision is expected in mid-2012.Tourism Minister Khouloud Daibes said Monday that the request is part of the Palestinian campaign to build their state.Explain why Christians accounted for upwards of 90 percent of Bethlehem for years until the Palestinian Authority took control of the city in 1995. Immediately Christians started fleeing the city. Now the population is about 20 to 25 percent Christian. Just what caused the vast majority of Bethlehem's Christians to flee right after the Palestinians took control?Hmmmm.....Yes please by all means elaborate?Is it perhaps something similar to Egypt's Christians their problems?read the full story here.
- IDF says enlisting hackers.Spokesman tells panel on internet 'as strategic weapon' army wants 120 'new media fighters'.IDF Spokesman Avi Benayahu said Tuesday that the army is currently in the process of enlisting "new media fighters".Benayahu told a panel on the subject of "the digital medium as strategic weapon" that the army was searching for "little hackers who were born and raised online". "We screen them with special care and train them to serve the state," the spokesman told the panel, which was part of the Herzliya Conference.He added that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was personally supporting the venture and that he had supplied a budget of NIS 6 million ($1.63 million) for the enlistment of 120 soldiers."This is about the democratization of information, and about the fact that you cannot stuff information down people's throats but you can make it more palatable."Read the full story here.
- Digging on Temple Mount 'to Erase Traces of Jewish Altar'.Muslim religious authorities are concluding a clandestine eight-month dig on the Temple Mount that is intended to erase traces of the Jewish Temple's Altar, Temple activists charge.The digs have been taking place under the Dome of the Chain, believed to have been built over 1300 years ago. For eight months, the dome - which has a diameter of 14 meters - has been surrounded by a metal fence and black cloth, which hide whatever activity has been going on there from outside inspection. The Muslim Waqf religious authority has claimed the activity is simply a refurbishing of the structure, but refuses adamantly to let Jews or tourists near.Jewish activists made various attempts to enter the Dome, but met with no success. In the end, the Our Temple Mount news outlet found an Arab who was willing to take photos inside the compound in return for a handsome fee (see below). The man said that it appears the Waqf has already completed its digs and is now covering the dig with dirt.Our Temple Mount notes that according to Jewish tradition, the place where the Dome of the Chain is located is the spot upon which the sacrificial Altar stood in Temple times. Temple activists said that the Muslim digs are intended to erase the Jewish connection to the Temple Mount.Read and see the full story here.
Tuesday, February 8, 2011
- Egypt volatile situation : - Al Jazeera English - Live Streams From Egypt ! Here .
- Egypt protests on Twitter! here.
- Liveblog - Egypt's protests erupt. here.
- VP: Egypt has plan for power transfer.Suleiman says 'clear road map has been put in place with a set timetable to realize the peaceful and organized transfer of power.' Government won't pursue protestors who have been demanding President Mubarak step down immediately, he adds. Egypt has a plan and timetable for the peaceful transfer of power, the vice president said on Tuesday, adding that the government will not pursue protesters who have been demanding President Hosni Mubarak step down now. "The president welcomed the national consensus, confirming that we are putting our feet on the right path to getting out of the current crisis," Vice President Omar Suleiman said after a briefing with the president on the national dialogue meeting. "A clear road map has been put in place with a set timetable to realize the peaceful and organized transfer of power," he said in comments broadcast on state television."The president welcomed the national consensus, confirming that we are putting our feet on the right path to getting out of the current crisis," Suleiman said in comments broadcast by state television, after briefing Mubarak on the talks.Read the full story here.
- John McCain on the Dangers of the Muslim Brotherhood.'They Should Be Excluded from any Transition Government'.In a SPIEGEL interview, Republican senator and former presidential candidate John McCain, 74, discusses the United States' Middle East policies and his fears of a role for the Muslim Brotherhood in the country's transition to democracy.Read the full story here.
- HT:The BiBiReport.ex-CIA Agent Reveals: “Muslim Brotherhood” has infiltrated Obama Administration.Islamist-allied operatives appointed by Obama are undermining U.S. security policy – explains counter-Intelligence expert, Prof. Clare Lopez. Aimed at co-opting Americas foreign policy in the Middle East, a network including well-known American diplomats, congressional representatives, figures from academia and the think tank world – with ties to the clerical regime in Tehran – is directing the Obama Administration’s policy towards the Islamic Republic of Iran and the Middle East.Hmmmm.......Nooooo... really?He could have fooled me.Not!Read and see the full story here.
- Muslims to Be Congressional Hearings’ Main Focus.The new chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee said Monday that he planned to call mostly Muslim and Arab witnesses to testify in hearings next month on the threat of homegrown Islamic terrorism. “I believe it will have more of an impact on the American people if they see people who are of the Muslim faith and Arab descent testifying,” Mr. King said. The hearings, which Mr. King said would start the week of March 7, have provoked an uproar from both the left and the right. The left has accused Mr. King of embarking on a witch hunt. The right has accused him of capitulation for calling Muslims like Representative Keith Ellison, Democrat of Minnesota, to testify while denying a platform to popular critics of Islamic extremism like Steven Emerson, Frank Gaffney, Daniel Pipes and Robert Spencer. As the hearings approach, the reaction from Muslim groups — initially outraged — has evolved into efforts to get Mr. King to enlarge the scope of the hearings beyond Muslims. They want to use the forum to reinforce the notion that the potential for terrorist violence among American Muslims is very marginal and very isolated.“If you put every single Muslim in the U.S. in jail, it wouldn’t have stopped Jared Loughner,” Mr. Ellison said, referring to the man accused of opening fire on an Arizona congresswoman and her constituents. “It wouldn’t have stopped the young man who killed his classmates at Virginia Tech. It wouldn’t have stopped the bombing in Oklahoma City or the man who killed a guard at the Holocaust Museum in Washington.” But Mr. King dismissed this line of criticism, saying: “I totally reject that. That, to me, is political correctness at its worst. If we included these other violent events in the hearings, we’d be sending the false signal that we think there’s a security threat equivalency between Al Qaeda and the neo-Nazi movement, or Al Qaeda and gun groups. There is none.”Mr. King added, “I’m not going to dilute the hearings by including other extremists.” In fact, he said he planned to hold three or four more hearings this year on topics like the radicalization of Muslims in prisons and Saudi financing for American mosques. He said the only witness he had settled on for certain of the three he would call in the first hearing was Dr. Zuhdi Jasser, a doctor from Arizona and an American military veteran who has little following among Muslims but has become a favorite of conservatives for his portrayal of American Muslim leaders as radical Islamists.The report said, “In some communities, Muslim-Americans have been so concerned about extremists in their midst that they have turned in people who turned out to be undercover informants.” Hmmmm......Yup thats why CAIR started with their "Don't talk to the FBI poster action"?Read the full story here.
- HT:SultanKnish.Presidential Boots Too Big To Fill.Bill Clinton showed up on Time Magazine covers often enough, but never disguised as another American president. But so far Time has presented us with a cover picture of Obama in FDR drag and another one of Reagan embracing Obama. Before the big O's term is done, we may well be treated to another cover of Obama playing basketball with Andrew Jackson on the cover of Newsweek or in bed in the Lincoln Bedroom with Abe Lincoln for Time's last print issue.Back in the 90's, Time's editors seemed to think that Clinton could stand on his own without dressing him up as any other president. But Obama needs constant disguising. Dress him up like FDR or stick him next to Reagan, before people notice that he really can't stand on his own. The constant parallels are meant to emphasize that Obama is a historic figure in the most hamhanded way possible. But the very attempts to make Obama look historic reveal something else entirely.Obama is not Reagan. He's not FDR or even JFK. He hardly even qualifies as Carter. The media has been so busy dressing him up as what he isn't, that even they have no idea of what he really is. In the 90's, Time knew who Clinton was. But they have no real idea who Obama is, behind the curtain of race, the veil of liberalism, all the distractions and diversions, are more of the same. Obama is a hall of mirrors. His image is a reflection of all the posters, slogans and flattering articles directed his way. Not a man, but a meta-image with more in common with Ronald McDonald or Mickey Mouse, than Ronald Reagan or FDR. And an image can't fill a real president's boots.Hmmmm......As i often said "A make believe World".Read the full story here.
- VMI Islamic Conference Grant and the Middle East Funding Connection.Let’s follow the money trail behind Virginia Military Institute’s plans to host a “celebration” commemoration of the Islamic conquest of Spain.Previously, Patrick Poole exposed the planned March 23-25 “celebration” entitled “711 AD – 2011: East Meets West” organized by the Virginia Military Institute’s (VMI) Center for Leadership and Ethics. Then he exposed the VMI cover-up, showing that in response to public criticism, the VMI had already changed its language regarding the event on its website. Originally the event was to “celebrate” the 1300th anniversary of “Tariq ibn Ziyad’s crossing of the Straits of Gibraltar” – in fact ushering in nearly eight centuries of oppressive Islamic rule in Spain – while the new version uses the word “commemoration” instead of “celebrate”.That’s “commemoration” from the Latin commemorationem, meaning “to call to mind.”So commemorate this: let’s call to mind the money trail behind the conference, and follow it to a much bigger set of questions for VMI and their funders discovered in an interesting little program at the Department of Defense, whose primary administrators and advisers are the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and the Politburo of Communist China. And the trail gets even more interesting after that.Hmmm.....An indoctrination in the US?Read the full story here.
- HT:LogisticsMonster.Video : Frank Luntz Focus Group: ‘Obama Is A Muslim’.Yep, pretty sensational question to ask, but more importantly, this focus group of Iowa Republican caucus voters understands how inept the current pResident is when it comes to just about any issue. This segment covers Egypt, the Muslim Brotherhood, Obama’s ‘religion’ of liberalism, and asks why Obama is so ashamed of America.Hmmm......I agree with the Monster it will take decades to undo the damage he inflicted to America.Read and see the full story here.
- HT:TheAmericanDream.4 Ways Barack Obama And The Federal Reserve Are Destroying Our Long-Term Economic Future For Their Short-Term Gain.Many people have been stumped as they have attempted to find a coherent theme in Barack Obama's economic policies. But the truth is that what the Obama administration is trying to do is not that difficult to figure out. Just like so many other previous administrations, the Obama administration is motivated by self-preservation. All of Barack Obama's economic policies are designed to produce a short-term economic burst that will help him win the next election in 2012, and the Federal Reserve has been cooperating every step of the way. Perhaps the Federal Reserve is motivated by self-preservation as well. The American people are becoming extremely disenfranchised with the Federal Reserve, and so those inside the Fed likely realize that they better get the economy on track or face even more scrutiny. In any event, Obama and the Fed are working together to do whatever they can to improve the short-term economic situation. Unfortunately, everything that they are doing is making our long-term economic problems even worse. But Barack Obama and the Federal Reserve are not really concerned with what is going to happen down the road. What the Obama administration and the Federal Reserve are concerned about is protecting their rear ends in the here and now.So exactly what are some of the things that Barack Obama and the Federal Reserve have been doing that are boosting the economy in the short-term but that are destructive to our economy in the long-term?Well, the following are just a few examples....Read the full story here.
- White House Says It Will Implement ObamaCare Despite Judge's Declaration that His Ruling Against It Is 'Equivalent of Injunction'.White House Spokesman Robert Gibbs told CNSNews.com today that the administration will "rightly" continue to implement the Obamacare law even though the federal judge who sided with 26 states in declaring it unconstitutional said that his ruling was “the functional equivalent of an injunction” against the law.In his ruling last week, Judge Roger Vinson of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida wrote that in his opinion an injunction is an extraordinary measure, particularly when a ruling is against the federal government.The ruling said an injunction would be an extraordinary measure. “It is even more so when the party to be enjoined is the federal government, for there is a long-standing presumption ‘that officials of the Executive Branch will adhere to the law as declared by the court. As a result, the declaratory judgment is the functional equivalent of an injunction,’” it said.However, Gibbs said that other court rulings were in the administration’s favor.“There are many courts that have heard many cases on this. More than 12 have dismissed the case,” he told CNSNews.com. “Two have ruled in our favor as to its constitutionality. Two have ruled against us. Implementation of the health care bill rightly continues to move forward as the law of the land.”Hmmmm......Welcome to Dictator Obama's law?Read the full story here.
- Michelle Obama throws her weight behind campaign to get smaller (and healthier) portions for children at restaurants.Michelle Obama has set her sights on the nation's restaurants in her fight against childhood obesity in America. The First Lady wants them to serve smaller portions to youngsters and include vegetables, milk and apple slices - instead of fries and fizzy drinks.Mrs Obama admits she loves unhealthy foods like burgers, ice cream and cake, but she is determined to end child obesity in a generation.Tomorrow she will begin a three-day blitz to spotlight her Let’s Move! initiative which aims to teach children how to increase their daily physical exercise.It also pushes for schools to offer more healthy meals and calls on food companies to label nutritional information more accurately.Hmmmmm.......The Terminator versus the Baconeater?Anything typically American must be terminated?I think it's time that Big Mac takes a Lawyer.Read the full story here.
- Indonesian Mob Burns Churches, Attack Police.Hundreds of Islamic hard-liners stormed a courthouse and set two churches on fire Tuesday in central Indonesia to protest what they considered a lenient sentence for a Christian convicted of blaspheming Islam.Antonius Richmond Bawengan, 58, was found guilty of distributing books and leaflets that "spread hatred about Islam" and sentenced to five years for blasphemy.Islamic hard-liners shouted during the rioting that the man should have received the death penalty. Anti-riot police fired into the air to disperse the crowd.Witnesses said at least nine people were rushed to the hospital with injuries and police led away some protesters for questioning.The mob set two churches on fire and threw rocks at a third and a school building. They also torched a police truck, three cars and six motorcycles.Hmmmm......Obama "Indonesia is an example of religious tolerance".Read the full story here.
- HT:TheStrategyPage.Navy's X-47B First unmanned Flight.The Northrop Grumman-built US Navy X-47B Unmanned Combat Air System Demonstration (UCAS-D) aircraft successfully completed its first flight at Edwards Air Force Base, California. Taking off under hazy skies, the X-47B climbed to an altitude of 5,000 feet, flew several racetrack-type patterns, and landed safely at 2:38 p.m. PST, February 4th 2011. Read and see the full story here.
- Netanyahu: Egypt could follow Iran.Bibi says Egypt may turn into new Iran, radicalize in wake of political upheaval. PM tells European parliamentarians they too are threatened by Tehran's missiles, says West has trouble recognizing fanaticism hiding behind suit and tie.Egypt may follow in Iran's footsteps, oppress its own people and threaten neighboring countries, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Monday at the European Friends of Israel conference held at the Knesset.The PM said that various potential scenarios exist in Egypt at this time, beyond the liberal democratic models – including secular reforms, an Islamist takeover, or Egypt following the Iran example."I don't know what will happen in Egypt, but our interest is clear," he said, making note of the peace treaty with Cairo, which he said "brought quiet to the south and stability to the region."The prime minister also warned European parliamentarians on hand about the danger inherent in Iran's attempts to acquire a nuclear bomb. He said that the events in Egypt were minor compared to a "greater earthquake that may shock the region and the entire world" in case Iran develops nukes. Netanyahu noted that Iran is already sending its tentacles worldwide, saying: "This is what they're doing without nuclear weapons. Imagine what they'll do with them."On the same topic, the PM stressed that Europe too was in Iran's sights. "Today already Iran possesses missiles that can reach Israel. Why do they continue to boost the range of their missiles, you ask? In order to reach you." Netanyahu urged the visitors not to underestimate the Iranian threat, adding that the West at times finds it difficult to recognize fanaticism when it hides behind a suit and tie.Hmmmm.....The trouble with extremists is ,they can't stop bragging about what they will do once they have the weapons they need.Read the full story here.
- Iran Extends Enforcement Of Islamic Penal Code, Including Stoning.Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad has extended for another year enforcement of the Islamic Penal Code that mandates punishments that include stoning.Ahmadinejad on February 6 issued a notification to extend enforcement of the code until March 2012, the beginning of the Iranian new year, following ratification by the Iranian parliament in December 2010. Lashing, amputation of hands, and stoning to death are among the punishments permitted under the code.The Islamic Penal Code was originally ratified by the parliament's Legal and Judicial Commission in 1982 and passed by the top legislative body, the Guardian Council, for an experimental period of five years. Since its revision in 1991, the law's experimental implementation has been repeatedly extended.According to Iran's constitution, the experimental implementation of a law is approved by parliamentary commissions and is never debated by all lawmakers. Such laws are not permanent.He said this shows the Iranian regime is incapable of making laws compatible with today's social conditions.He said Iran's Islamic punishment law has never helped prevent crime, but rather has incited violence in its severest form.Read the full story here.
- Islamist Rebel Doku Umarov Says He Ordered Russian Bombing.Islamist rebel leader Doku Umarov has claimed responsibility for the deadly suicide bombing at Moscow's Domodedovo airport last month.The bomb ripped through the crowded international arrivals hall, killing 36 people and wounding more than 150 others. About 60 people injured in the attack remain hospitalized.Umarov spoke softly and hesitantly in the video, posted late on February 7 by the Islamist website kavkazcenter.com.His message, however, was chilling: "This special operation was carried out on my order. God willing, such special operations will continue to be carried out in the future.""Among us there are hundreds of brothers who are prepared to sacrifice themselves" in further attacks, he added in the video, which appears to have been shot on the day of the January 24 Domodedovo bombing.The video comes just days after the self-styled emir of the Caucasus appeared in a separate video on the same website.In the February 5 footage, Umarov vowed 2011 would be a year of "blood and tears" for Russia if it refused to withdraw from the North Caucasus territories.Umarov, who has evaded capture for almost two decades, and his followers seek to establish an independent Muslim state governed by Shari'a law in the volatile region,The bearded 46-year-old took over the helm of the Chechen rebel movement in June 2006 after his predecessor, Abdul-Khalim Sadulayev, was slain by Russian forces.His group has claimed a string of deadly attacks in the past, including a twin suicide bombing on Moscow's subway last March that left 40 people dead.Read the full story here.
- Netherlands Recalling Its Iran Ambassador Over Bahrami Killing.The Netherlands is recalling its ambassador to Iran for consultations over the death of a Dutch-Iranian woman while in Iranian custody and the failure of the authorities to return her body to her family.The Dutch foreign ministry said the ambassador would return to The Hague on February 10. Iran's ambassador would also be summoned shortly to the Dutch foreign ministry.According to postings on Iranian blogs and news websites, Bahrami actually died while being tortured during interrogation by Iranian authorities. Those reports could not be independently confirmed. She was buried some 400 kilometers away from Tehran and her family could not attend the funeral.Read the full story here.
- HT:KleinVerzet.Wilders Trial - Day 10.Today was the first day of the second half of the Wilders trial. Today's session was a preliminary session, in which both sides could explain to the court how they would like to proceed. DutchNews.nl gives a short brief with the key points.Wilders' lawyer Bram Moszkowicz said he wanted to start the whole process from scratch. The public prosecution department said it is not in favour of going right back to the beginning but would agree to the defence's wishes. After a bit of back and forth the prosecution agreed to hear judge Schalken, but only behind closed doors, without cameras. To the surprise of one of the judges (!) it was revealed that Schalken in not a suspect in the case brought against him by Wilders.The most powerful moment came when Geert Wilders took the word and gave what probably will be known henceforth as the 'All over Europe the lights are going out'-speech. Ferdy sent me a transcript. I made a quick translation, including the presiding judges remarks at the end.One thing to explain: The 'preliminary defence' referred to at the end is the plea that argues that the prosecutors don't have grounds for prosecution. This is based on some technical legal stuff I admittedly only half understand. But as I understand it, it amounts to an argument that what Wilders is accused of falls outside of the scope of the articles of law under which he has been charged. Additionally, given Wilders' status as an MP the Amsterdam court does not have the authority to hear the case against Wilders. Hence the court should summarily reject the case. Obviously that is not the same as being acquitted. But it would be a vindication nonetheless, because it would mean that the case Geert Wilders was without grounds, in a legal sense, to begin with.Anyway, here's my translation of Ferdy's transcript.Hmmmm......"All over Europe the lights are going out".Where have i heard this before?Churchill - The Defence of Freedom and Peace."(The Lights are Going Out) .Broadcast to the United States and to London by Winston S. Churchill .Actually, the quote is originally from Edward Grey, spoken on the eve of WW1, August 3rd, 1914.Indeed Europe and the free world is again under assault !
Are we at the dawn of the next World War?Read the full story here.
Monday, February 7, 2011
- Google Executive Emerges as Key Figure in Revolt.More than a week after his mysterious disappearance in Egypt, Google executive and political activist Wael Ghonim will be released from government detention on Monday, according to his family and a prominent businessman.During his disappearance, Mr. Ghonim, a father of two who is in his 30s, emerged as a central symbol of the antigovernment protests, cast as the face of a movement and hero in the cause of democracy. Protest organizers in Cairo's central Tahrir Square adopted him as a symbolic leader. Suspecting his arrest—but having no proof—they declared in speeches that they wouldn't leave the square until he was freed. Marchers carried homemade signs emblazoned with his name. At the same time, some local media suggested the political activities of Mr. Ghonim, who is Google's head of marketing for the Middle East and North Africa, make him a traitor to his nation.On Sunday, Egyptian authorities broke the silence on Mr. Ghonim's fate, according to his brother, Hazem Ghonim. "They told us they'll probably bring him to us, and that he will likely be escorted by security," he said from Cairo.Last year, Mr. Ghonim was one of four administrators running the first of the major Facebook pages that became a virtual headquarters for the protest movement, according to a collaborator in the political opposition, and also according to an Internet activist familiar with the situation. Mr. Ghonim also set up the official campaign website for opposition leader Mohamed ElBaradei and volunteered as a tech consultant for other opposition groups, according to Ziad Al-Alimi, a senior aide to Mr. ElBaradei.U.S. officials declined to say whether they raised the question of Mr. Ghonim's disappearance with Egyptian authorities. A Google official, asked whether Mr. Ghonim may have violated any company policies, declined to comment, saying someone would first have to talk to him.Online activists including Mr. Ghonim have played a central role in electronically sowing the seeds of the current protests. Mr. Ghonim joined Mr. ElBaradei's political campaign as a volunteer about a month before Mr. ElBaradei, winner of the 2005 Nobel Peace Prize and former head of the International Atomic Energy Commission, made a dramatic return to Egypt last February amid speculation he was seeking a wider political role.Mr. Ghonim went to work setting up Mr. ElBaradei's official web page, www.7amla.net, which in Arabic reads "hamla," or "campaign." Mr. Ghonim also set up a Facebook page for Mr. ElBaradei, according to Mr. al-Alimi, who helped oversee Mr. Ghonim and the project.On Mr. Ghonim's Facebook profile, a photo dated April 10 shows him smiling broadly next to Mr. ElBaradei. "My name is Wael Ghonim and I publicly support ElBaradei," the caption reads.Corrections Wael Ghonim is head of marketing for the Middle East and North Africa for Google, whose offices in the region are in Cairo and Dubai. An earlier version of this article incorrectly said Mr. Ghonim is Google's top executive in the region and that the Dubai office is the company's regional headquarters.Hmmmm.....ElBaradei is said to have received $7Million from Iran for his party and Google helps him?What else did they do for him?Read the full story here.
- US 'desertion' of Mubarak dismays Israel.JERUSALEM — The US "desertion" of its long-time ally President Hosni Mubarak in the face of protests shaking the Egyptian regime has angered Israel, with analysts warning of consequences for the turbulent Middle East.Until now, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government has held back from any public criticism of the US position, to avoid a row with US President Barack Obama.But Washington's change of heart towards the embattled Egyptian president has not passed unnoticed in Israel, where the dominant reaction has been one of criticism -- in government circles, among analysts and in the press."One gets the impression that Washington was pretty anxious to throw Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak overboard" once he became a cumbersome ally, a senior Israeli official told AFP, on condition of anonymity."Even if the American position has become more nuanced in the last few days, it doesn't make it any less of a desertion. That's what is most worrying," he said."Loyalty is priceless, especially in the Middle East," he said, warning that Washington's sudden apparent ditching of the Egyptian leader could undermine the credibility of American foreign policy.He also pointed to "confusion and incoherence of the American positions," referring to the declaration of support by an influential retired diplomat at the weekend, from which the Obama administration quickly distanced itself."And when the US does this to the Egyptian president, what should any other ally of the US think?" the paper asked, warning about the "treacherousness" of the Western world and that it "could also happen to us."For Eitan Gilboa, a professor of political science at Bar Ilan University, Washington "has stabbed its Egyptian ally in the back" when it could have criticised him in a more discrete fashion.Hmmmm.......Israel get ready for the same treatment only a hundred fold worse!Read the full story here.
- HT:InfidelBloggers.Why Is Virginia Military Institute Filled With Muslim Faculty? believe Muslims are tremendously under-represented in our troops, so why do they seem to be over-represented on the faculty of one of our top military schools?From Her Royal Whyness : Looking for news on this event I happened upon the following report : February 03, 2011 WDBJ7 Chris Hurst reports: Local professor weighs in on more protests in Egypt .Visiting professor, Heba El-Shazli is a native Egyptian and teaches at VMI .Made me go hmmmm. . .which led to further exploration of the faculty listing at VMI . . .scan the list of VMI faculty in the "Modern Cultures and Languages" listing http://tinyurl.com/4zftc6k . . .(here's just a few of the more 'modern' names listed) . . .:
Khadija Bentouhami, Ms. - Instructor in Modern Languages & Cultures
Heba F. El-Shazli, Ms. - Visiting Professor of Modern Languages
Ivelise Faundez-Reitsma, Doctor - Instructor of Modern Languages & Cultures
Abdeljalil Naoui-Khir, Doctor - Associate Professor of Modern Languages & Cultures
Mohamed Taifi, Doctor - Professor of Modern Languages & Cultures
Soufia Ezzaki, Ms. - Arabic Tutor in Modern Languages.Hmmmm.......Creeping Sharia anyone?Read the full story here. And more about the VMI - Islam cooperation here.And here the program of the meeting .Towards a Dialogue of Civilizations and an Interfaith Communication - Towards a Free and Responsible Media:Setting the Stage for Cultural Development - Media Diversity and Media Discourse - Democratic Media Governance: Rethinking the Democratic and Cultural Role of the Mass Media - Unification, Problematization, Criminalization: Media Coverage of Minorities.Sounds real democratic, one can not help but wonder what the Virginia Military Institute has lost there?
- George Bush issued travel warning by human rights organisations.Former president vulnerable to 'torture' prosecution, says US group after Swiss trip cancelled amid protest and arrest threats.Human rights groups have vowed to track George W Bush round the world after their success in forcing him to cancel a trip to Switzerland amid concerns over protests and a threatened arrest warrant.Katherine Gallagher, a lawyer with the New York-based Centre for Constitutional Rights, said: "The reach of the convention against torture is wide. This case is prepared and will be waiting for him wherever he travels next."Torturers, even if they are former presidents of the United States, must be held to account and prosecuted."Although Bush has travelled freely round the world since leaving the White House in January 2009, human rights groups believe he is vulnerable to prosecution after admitting in his autobiography last November that he authorised waterboarding and other interrogation techniques."Waterboarding is torture, and Bush has admitted, without any sign of remorse, that he approved its use," said Gallagher, who is also vice-president of the International Federation for Human Rights.Hmmmm.....On the other hand executing people with the use of predators without any form of due process is OK?Read the full story here.
- Moderate NY Muslim Convicted of Beheading Wife…The jury in the Muzzammil Hassan trial has reached a verdict.Muzzammil Hassan is guilty of 2nd degree murder in the death of his wife, Aasiya Hassan.The jury deliberated for a little over an hour before reaching their verdict.The judge has scheduled Hassan’s sentencing for March 9, 2011, where he faces a sentence of up to 25-years-to life behind bars.Hassan was led away in handcuffs.Erie County District Attorney Frank Sedita, Jr. called Hassan a “vicious murderer” during a press conference after the verdict.The jury declined to speak to the media about the trial or their decision.Earlier, Hassan delivered his closing arguments, followed by the prosecution.“Ladies and gentlemen this is not a divorce case, this is a murder case,” said Colleen Curtin Gable, prosecutor.The prosecutor told jurors Hassan was efficient and deliberate in killing his wife in just "thirty-seven seconds." While describing the murder, Curtin Gable described how Aasiya was stabbed in the head and from the mouth to her ear. "How is that self defense, stabbing an unarmed woman from behind," she asked jurors."He was in control," she told jurors. "Cool, calm, collected and calculating every step of the way."Hassan claimed he was a battered spouse, but Curtin Gable told jurors that should not even enter into their deliberations, "battered spouse he was not," she said.Jurors were told that Aasiya Hassan may have been conscious when the defendant started to behead her on February 12, 2009.Hmmm.........Next he's going to claim he's a victim of Islamophobia ...mark my words!Read the full story here.
- South Sudan votes 98.83 percent to secede.Southern Sudan was well on track to become the world's newest state on Monday after final results of its historic independence referendum showed that 98.83 percent had voted for secession.The results -- displayed at a ceremony in Khartoum -- revealed that out of 3,837,406 valid ballots cast, only 44,888 votes, or 1.17 percent, favoured the status quo of unity with the north."The referendum was correct, accurate and transparent and we have no objection to the results," said Mohamed Ibrahim Khalil, chairman of the Southern Sudan Referendum Commission's chairman.The definitive outcome of the January 9-15 referendum emerged soon after Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir said that Khartoum accepted the south's widely anticipated landslide vote for sovereignty."We respect the people of south Sudan's choice and we accept the result of the referendum according to what the commission announces," the Sudanese leadership said in a statement broadcast on state television."South Sudan has chosen secession. But we are committed to the links between the north and the south, and we are committed to good relations based on cooperation," Bashir himself said earlier in Khartoum.Hmmmm.....The countdown is on for the next war?Read the full story here.
- HT:Memri.Hamas Member Escapes Egyptian Prison, Arrives Home To Gaza.Hamas announced on February 6 that Ayman Noufel, a prominent member of its military wing, had escaped from the Egyptian prison where he had been held for three years and had arrived safely home in Gaza on February 5.Noufel was one of eight Palestinians who managed to escape from Abu Za'abel prison; six of them have returned to Gaza.Hmmm......Thank you Muslim Brotherhood?Read and see the full story here.
- HT:JihadWatch.Pakistan: 20,000 rally over Kashmir, call for jihad, nuclear war against India."The only solution to the Kashmir issue is jihad," said Saeed. And oddly enough, it is virtually certain that all 20,000 people in attendance understood him to mean war, not an interior spiritual struggle. Misunderstanding of Islam rampant in Lahore: "JuD leaders chant 'jihad', would not mind Indo-Pak N-war," from PTI, February 6:Extremist leaders, including Jamaat-ud-Dawah (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed, have stepped up calls for jihad against India, even advocating the use of nuclear weapons if needed in the "war for Kashmir".The vicious comments at a massive rally organised by Jamaat-ud-Dawah to mark the Kashmir Solidarity Day, have come at a time when India and Pakistan are trying to find ways to revive the peace process.At the rally, speaker after speaker espoused the use of jihad or holy war to settle the Kashmir issue and Saeed said this approach should be adopted even if even leads to a "nuclear war" with India.Hmmmmm......Remember last weeks post on how Pakistan doubled it's nuclear weapons in recent years?Read the full story here.
- Army Chief Ashkenazi: Prepare for all-out war.In his final days on the job, Chief of Staff Ashkenazi warns about growing radicalization in region.Given recent changes across Middle East, Israel must prepare for a battle in several theaters, he says.The radical camp in the Middle East is gaining strength, Ashkenazi warned, adding that "the moderate camp among the traditional Arab leadership is weakening." He also made note of what he characterized as the "fascinating phenomenon" whereby power is shifting to the people of the region thanks to online social networks.Read the full story here.
- HT:RightTruth.Emergency Alerts from Obama.His Lordship Barack Obama is afraid you are not getting enough of him, so he's planning FCC Emergency Alerts for you... "THIS is a test...this is ONLY a test..., your dear leader needs to indoctrinate you..." Everybody has heard the national Emergency Alert System (EAS).Those familiar "duck calls" that reassure listeners "THIS is a test...this is ONLY a test..."The FCC is planning an upgrade to the tests by including presidential announcements in the system.Lisa Fowlkes, deputy chief of the Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau of the FCC, explained to the Federal Drive the Presidential Alert isn't new."The primary goal is to provide the President with a mechanism to communicate with the American public during times of national emergency," said Fowlkes. The change, she said, is that prior to last week's order there was no rule in place to call for or allow a test from top to bottom.Fowlkes said, "There's never been a test from top to bottom where it's issued by FEMA and it goes straight down to all the different levels of EAS to the American public. So this is a way for us to glean, okay, if there were an actual emergency and the federal government needed to activate the Presidential EAS, making sure that it actually works the way it's designed to."Hmmmm.....This is a test ......like we did in 1939 - 1945?Read the full story here.
- HT:DutchNews.Geert Wilders' inciting hatred trial resumes.The trial of anti-Islam MP Geert Wilders on discrimination and inciting hatred charges resumed in Amsterdam on Monday with both defence and prosecution saying the entire case should be heard again.Last October the trial was abandoned after senior court officials ruled several irregularities in the proceedings could be deemed prejudicial. New judges have now been appointed.During Monday's procedural hearings, Wilders' lawyer Bram Moszkowicz said he wanted to start the whole process from scratch. The public prosecution department said it is not in favour of going right back to the beginning but would agree to the defence's wishes.Moszkowicz said on Monday he would again press for all the witnesses to be heard. At the first trial, only a handful were approved.Wilders took the stand at the end of Monday's hearing and said the trial is about a 'much bigger' issue than him alone. 'Freedom is being sacrificed because a totalitarian ideology wants to turn it into a sin,' Wilders said. 'It is the duty of free people to resist this.'Hmmm.........Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights also guarantees the right to shock, offend or insult others through public expression. Governments are only allowed to prohibit this type of expression if specific laws exist to govern it and as long as the restriction is "necessary for a democratic society" to function. The context of an expression as well as the proportionality of censorship are important considerations in this respect. Read the full story here.
- Lieberman: Radical Islam taking over.Speaking to European diplomats, foreign minister says Israeli-Palestinian conflict holds minor significance; Lieberman also criticizes West, wonders why it doesn't question Saudi ban on synagogues, churches.Radical Islam is taking over the Middle East, with no major force facing it at this time, Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman said Monday in a convention attended by European diplomats who support Israel. Referring to the fatwa issued against author Salman Rushdie, Lieberman said "there is no spiritual or political leader today who stands up and condemns this, and this is a great problem for the whole of society.""Today we see that the Arab world is weakening," the foreign minister added, noting that the three major Mideastern players at this time – Iran, Turkey and Israel – are not Arab. He added that domestic problems in Arab states are prompting many clashes within Islamic society. Referring to what he views as the minor significance of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict to the region, Lieberman said: "I'm monitoring events in Tunisia and Algeria and asking myself what's their connection to the conflict, or what's the connection between our problems with the Palestinians and the tension in Lebanon or current situation in Egypt." "The conflict with the Palestinians is less than 1% of the problems in the Middle East," he said. Lieberman noted that the Iran-Iraq war alone claimed more than a million lives, also making note of the civil wars in Lebanon, Yemen and Algeria. Those who claimed that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is the heart of the problem are merely aiming to evade reality, the minister said. Lieberman also argued that the world at this time is divided into a moderate and radical camp. "At the end of the day, both Abbas and Salam Fayyad know that the great threat is not Israel and Zionism, but rather Hamas and Jihad," he said.In conclusion, Lieberman said he was sorry to see many states adopting a foreign policy based on economic rather than moral values, pointing to Saudi Arabia as an example and wondering why the West doesn't question the Saudi ban on building synagogues and churches in the country."Why aren't they asking basic questions regarding human rights? The European Union, US and the Free World must answer these questions; this is the only way to prevent the next crisis." Hmmmm........Why indeed did things get so much worse since Obama became President?Outreach to Muslims?Read the full story here.
- Hundreds attend funeral of Guantanamo Bay detainee. KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) -- Hundreds of mourners, some chanting anti-American slogans, turned out Monday for the funeral of an Afghan prisoner at Guantanamo Bay who collapsed and died while exercising at the U.S. detention center last week.The mourners ran alongside a vehicle carrying the body of 48-year-old Awal Gul - the seventh detainee to die at the detention center in Cuba since it was opened in January 2002. Gul's body was wrapped in white cloth, but his face and long, black beard were visible inside the coffin, which was buried in Jalalabad, east of Kabul.Read the full story here.
- HT:Memri.In Bahrain, 'Day Of Rage' Organized On Facebook.Bahrain activists posted on February 2, on their Facebook page "14th February 2011 Revolution Day in Bahrain," a call for a "day of rage" on February 14 against the royal house, as happened in Egypt and Tunisia. The demonstrations are to protest against corruption and despotism in Bahrain. The activists' demands include: a new constitution, to be written by the people; a body to investigate regime corruption and punish those who violated the political rights of the people and embezzled public funds. The activists have instructed their supporters to circulate word of the demonstrations on online social networks, and to prepare to hold it in central places in the capital.Read the full story here.
- UN Calls for End to Female Genital Mutilation Practice in Africa.Top U.N. officials are calling for an end to female genital mutilation, saying it violates fundamental human rights and endangers the health of 3 million girls who undergo the practice annually.Anthony Lake, chief of the U.N. Children's Fund, and Babatunde Osotimehin, head of the U.N. Population Fund, called Monday on countries and organizations worldwide to help end the practice.The officials say more than 6,000 communities in Egypt, Ethiopia, Kenya and Senegal have dropped the practice because of a three-year-old U.N. program.Female genital mutilation, also known as female circumcision, is the removal of external genitalia to limit sexual activity. It can cause prolonged bleeding, infection, infertility and death.Read the full story here.
- Republicans out Front of Obama on Regulations. When President Barack Obama asked businesses for advice on creating jobs, he might have anticipated that more than 200 responses would quickly be headed his way courtesy of Rep. Darrell Issa, a Republican who once called him corrupt.A month before Obama reached out to businesses, the new chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee sent 171 letters to various businesses and their trade associations. He asked for help in "identifying existing and proposed regulations that have negatively impacted job growth."This Thursday, Issa is giving business representatives an opportunity at a hearing by his committee to vent their frustration with government requirements issued by unelected bureaucrats. He wants Obama to include their responses in a review of government regulations the president ordered last month in the administration's effort to find rules that cost Americans jobs.Read the full story here.