- Syria Live Blog - May 25. Here .(Al-Jazeera).
- Libya Live Blog - May 23. Here (Al-Jazeera).
- Updated !Earthquakes in the last 24 hours in the world seismic activity in Japan today 4.9 ! More info here.
- Japan - Latest official Situation Update No. 118. Source : Here .
- Japan : For the most accurate info on the nuclear disaster go to : Paul Langley's Nuclear History Blog.Here.
- There's a new "Player" in the Air,meet the Grimsvotn Volcano.By John Seach.(VolcanoLive)
64.42 N, 17.33 W - summit elevation 1725 m - caldera
- RSOE Emergency and Disaster Information Service Grimsvotn Volcano Info Situation Update No. 7 Source :Here .
- Transcript Obama Speech British Parliament May 25, 2011.Obama enters Westminster Hall. White House Senior Adviser Valerie Jarrett, White House Chief of Staff Bill Daley, White House Senior Adviser David Plouffe and National Security Adviser Tom Donilon are among those on stage a few feet from the podium.A few lines from the speech:
Obama frames the fight to end terrorism: "Terrorists have taken the lives of our citizens in New York and in London. And while al Qaeda seeks a religious war with the West, let’s remember that they have killed thousands of Muslims – men, women and children – around the globe. Our nations will never be at war with Islam. Our fight is focused on defeating al Qaeda and its extremist allies. In that effort, we will not relent, as Osama bin Laden and his followers have learned."
Indeed, our efforts in this young century have led us to a new concept for NATO that will give us the capabilities needed to meet new threats — threats like terrorism and piracy, cyber attacks and ballistic missiles. But a revitalized NATO will continue to hew to that original vision of its founders, allowing us to rally collective action for the defense of our people, while building upon the broader belief of Roosevelt and Churchill that all nations have both rights and responsibilities, and all nations share a common interest in an international architecture that maintains the peace.
We share a common interest in resolving conflicts that prolong human suffering and threaten to tear whole regions asunder. In Sudan, after years of war and thousands of deaths, we call on both North and South to pull back from the brink of violence and choose the path of peace. And in the Middle East, we stand united in our support for a secure Israel and a sovereign Palestine.Hmmmm.....Why do i get the feeling it's all about "Responsibility to protect"?Israel beware he has not changed his mind!Read the full speech here.
- Report: Senate Dems Will Join Republicans in Condemning Obama’s Call For Israel to Withdraw to 1967 Lines.(TheHill).Senate Democrats are expected to support a resolution intended as a rebuff to President Obama’s call for basing Middle East peace talks on the 1967 Israeli-Palestinian borders.It would be a rare rebuke of the president by the upper chamber and a sign that Democrats are worried about the impact of last week’s speech on the U.S.-Israel relationship and pro-Israel constituents.Democrats in both chambers are scrambling to fix the damage caused when Obama called for the 1967 borders and land swaps as a basis for peace.Some Democrats have tried to downplay the rift, but Israel’s strongest supporters in Congress say there’s no denying that Obama made a tactical mistake in handling the relationship.“I wish that the president had not made the speech on Thursday, particularly not made it — I gather — without much consultation” with Israel, said Sen. Joe Lieberman (Conn.), an Independent who caucuses with Democrats. “So I think it was a tactical mistake.”Lieberman said he was reassured by the president’s follow-up speech to the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) on Sunday but thinks additional steps need to be taken.He is working with Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) on a resolution that would show broad consensus within Congress that the 1967 Israeli-Palestinian borders are not only “indefensible,” as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stated, but also contrary to U.S. national security interests.Hmmmm.....Meanwhile the 'damage' is done and he's exploiting it in Europe.Read the full story here.
- Obama skirts rule of law to reward pals, punish foes.(Washington Examiner).If Obamacare is so great, why do so many people want to get out from under it?More specifically, why are more than half of those 3,095,593 in plans run by labor unions, which were among Obamacare's biggest political supporters? Union members are only 12 percent of all employees but have gotten 50.3 percent of Obamacare waivers.Just in April, Sebelius granted 38 waivers to restaurants, nightclubs, spas and hotels in former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco congressional district. Pelosi's office said she had nothing to do with it.On its website HHS pledges that the waiver process will be transparent. But it doesn't list those whose requests for waivers have been denied.It does say that requests are "reviewed on a case by case basis by Department officials who look at a series of factors including" -- and then lists two factors. And it refers you to another website that says that "several factors . . . may be considered" -- and then lists six factors.What other factors may be considered? Political contributions or connections? (Unions contributed $400 million to Democrats in the 2008 campaign cycle.) The websites don't say.Another principle of the rule of law is that government can't make up new rules to help its cronies and hurt its adversaries except through due process, such as getting a legislature to pass a new law.The Obamacare waiver process appears to violate that first rule. Two other recent Obama administration actions appear to violate the second.In a Univision radio interview during the 2010 election cycle, Barack Obama urged Latinos not "to sit out the election instead of saying, 'We're going to punish our enemies and we're going to reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us.' "Punishing enemies and rewarding friends -- politics Chicago style -- seems to be the unifying principle that helps explain the Obamacare waivers, the NLRB action against Boeing and the IRS' gift-tax assault on 501(c)(4) donors.They look like examples of crony capitalism, bailout favoritism and gangster government.One thing they don't look like is the rule of law.Hmmmm.....Thugocracy in it's natural habitat.Read the full story here.
- Obama regime Threaten Texas With No-Fly Zone Over Anti-TSA Legislation.(SHTF).The State of Texas is currently considering legislation that would make it illegal for any official, State or Federal, to perform intrusive searches of persons or personal property without probable cause.Under Texas Law, HB 1937 would punish, through criminal prosecution, those involved in “official oppression by the intrusive touching of persons seeking access to public buildings and transportation…”
In response, the Federal Government has threatened to essentially enact a no-fly zone over Texas by restricting flights out of the state due to security concerns.
US Attorneys (Federal) object to the legislation and responded directly to the Texas Legislature on May 24, 2011: May 24, 2011
[On U.S. Department of Justice, Western District of Texas, stationery. Addressed to Speaker Joe Straus, Dewhurst, the House Clerk and the Senate Secretary]
I write with regard to HB 1937, which I understand will imminently be presented to the Texas Senate for a vote.
This office, as well as the Southern, Northern, and Eastern District of Texas United States Attorneys, would like to advise you of the significant leagal and practical problems that will be created if the bill becomes law. As you are no doubt aware, the bill makes it a crime for a federal transportation official (“TSO”) to perform the security screening that he or she is authorized and required by federal law to perform. The proposed legislation would make it unlawful for a federal agent such as a TSO to perform certain specified searches for the purpose of granting access to a publicly accessible building or form of transportation. That provision would thus criminalize searches that are required under federal regulations in order to ensure the safety of the American public. The legislation also makes it a crime for a public servant, as defined by the bill, to deny or impede another person in the excercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege, knowing that the public servant’s conduct is unlawful. As a result, it appears the intent of the bill is to preclude a TSO from turning away from the secure area of an airport someone who otherwise would have been subjected to a pat down as a condition of entry.
The effect of this bill, if enacted, would be to interfere directly with the Transportation Security Administration’s (“TSA”) responsibility for civil aviation security. 49 U.S.C. §114(d); 6 U.S.C. §202(1). Congress has directed the Administrator of TSA to take “necessary actions to improve domestic air transportation security,” 49 U.S.C. §44904(e), and directed him to “prescribe regulations to protect passengers and property on an aircraft … against an act of criminal violence or aircraft piracy.” ID. §44903(b). Congress has directed TSA to provide for “the screening of all passengers and property … before boarding,” in order to ensure that no passenger is unlawfully carrying a dangerous weapon, explosive, or other destructive substance. Id. §44901(a), §44901(a), §114(e). If the Administrator determines that “a particular threat cannot be addressed in a way adequate to ensure … the safety of passengers and crew of a particular flight, he “shall cancel the flight or series of flights.” Id. §44905(b). HB 1937 would conflict directly with federal law. The practical import of the bill is that it would threaten criminal prosecution of Transportation Security Administration personnel who carry out the security procedures required under federal statutes and TSA regulations passed to implement those statutes. Those officials cannot be put to the choice of risking criminal prosecution or carrying out their federal duties. Under the Supremacy Clause of the United States Constitution, Texas has no authority to regulate federal agents and employees in the performance of their federal duties or to pass a statute that conflicts with federal law.
If HR [sic] 1937 were enacted, the federal government would likely seek an emergency stay of the statute. Unless or until such a stay were granted, TSA would likely be required to cancel any flight or series of flights for which it could not ensure the safety of passengers and crew.
We urge that you consider the ramifications of this bill before casting your vote.
Very truly yours,
John E. Murphy - United States Attorney
According to the Tenth Amendment Center, several other states are considering similar legislation to prevent TSA’s gross violations of the 4th Amendment, which protects and guarantees the “right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures.”Battles over the tenth amendment, which gives States the rights to exercise their own sovereignty over issues not delegated to the Federal government by the Constitution, are coming to a head across the country – and not just over TSA anti-groping legislation. In recent years 10th amendment arguments and attempts to nullify Federal legislation have included immigration concerns in Southern states, marijuana legalization, firearms freedom, food freedom, and the rejection of Federally mandated universal health care laws.Regardless of whether we agree with certain arguments made by States with respect to federal legislation or their own, we must wholeheartedly support the right of the people of those states to pass (or reject) legislation that they deem best for their states, even if it is contrary to the beliefs of the people of another state or the Federal government.Hmmmm.....Dictatorship or democracy?Read the full story here.
- "Pint of Guinness records" - President Obama’s top ten insults against Britain – 2011 edition.(Telegraph).In March last year I published a list of Barack Obama’s biggest insults against America’s biggest ally Great Britain, during his time in office. A lot of water has flown under the bridge since then, including the Gulf oil spill and the White House’s campaign against BP, the now infamous Obama-Sarkozy press conference earlier this year, and the release by Wikileaks of US government documents revealing the Obama administration had betrayed Britain in order to appease the Russians over the New START Treaty.
In honour of President Obama’s state visit to Britain this week, here’s an updated and revised list, as a reminder to readers of the president’s less than stellar track record when it comes to US-British relations. The US president will no doubt be careful not to offend his hosts when he travels to London, and he will receive a warm welcome from the Queen and the Prime Minister, as any American president would. But the prospect of an embarrassing diplomatic gaffe or insensitive remark cannot be ruled out from a world leader whose administration has all too often specialised in them. As I noted in my original piece: Without a shadow of a doubt, Barack Obama has been the most anti-British president in modern American history. The Special Relationship has been significantly downgraded, and at times humiliated under his presidency, which has displayed a shocking disregard for America’s most important partner and strategic ally.
There are a multitude of reasons for President Obama’s dismissive approach to the UK, and here are a few: an obsession with engaging and appeasing America’s enemies rather than cultivating allies; personal animosity towards Britain because of his grandfather’s role as a Mau Mau supporter in 1950’s colonial Kenya; Democrat resentment over British support for the Bush Administration over Iraq; left-wing disdain for the idea of Anglo-American exceptionalism and world leadership; support for supranational institutions such as the European Union over the supremacy of the nation state.
- Siding with Argentina over the Falklands
- Calling France America’s strongest ally
- Downgrading the Special Relationship
- Supporting a federal Europe and undercutting British sovereignty
- Betraying Britain to appease Moscow over the New START Treaty
- Placing a “boot on the throat” of BP
- Throwing Churchill out of the Oval Office
- DVDs for the Prime Minister
- Insulting words from the State Department
- Undermining British influence in NATO.
Despite Nicolas Sarkozy’s distinctly unflattering opinion of Barack Obama, the US president has gone to great lengths to appease French interests, even going as far as apologising to the French people in Strasbourg for hurting their feelings over the war in Iraq. The Obama administration has also done its best to give Paris a lead role in the NATO alliance at Britain’s expense, granting it one of two supreme NATO command positions – Allied Command Transformation (ACT). This, despite the fact that France has for decades been ambivalent and obstructionist over NATO, and is failing to carry its weight in Afghanistan.Hmmmm......Lets hope he doesn't miss quote the next time he toast the Queen?Read the full story here.
- Jesse Lee’s wife, Nita Chaudary, behind the “Betray Us” Ad?) Googling Jesse Lee.(PajamasMedia).As Bryan reported yesterday, the Obama White House has hired a man named Jesse Lee to be its new Director of Progressive Media and Online Response or something. This is believed to imply that when people such as, say, Christian Adams say negative things about the administration that are provably true, Lee will “Respond” somehow on Twitter. And Facebook. And there will be links.
Anyway, I just performed a 30-second background check on Lee. And while I feel that most people shouldn’t be held accountable for anything political they say before the age of 25, a couple of wacky things authored by him shortly after college do turn up, probably best considered, if at all, as an example of the narcissism cultured by our developing higher education bubble.I envision a return to the American ideals of Thomas Paine. We must engage in our democracy as an example to all mankind, lest we allow a few greedy men to wield our immense power against all mankind, at home and abroad. We cannot allow such men to breed blinding hatred amongst us; we must put our swords down.I think Jesse might need to reread some of that Thomas Paine. I don’t think it took the first time.Read the full story here.
- Obama’s Israel 1967 “Borders”: What Jordanian/”Palestinians” Did to Pre-1967 Jewish & Christian Graves, Churches. By Debbie Schlussel.Earlier today, I discussed the Palestinian/Jordanian Muslim desecration of Jewish and Christian graves when they had control of the land that Barack Hussein Obama wants Israel to retreat from. Here’s what his cherished “pre-1967 borders” looked like when the Jordanians/”Palestinians” controlled and destroyed the place. These photos, from the pamphlet, “Desecration,” show how Israel found various Jewish and Christian graves and relics of churches and synagogues desecrated and otherwise deliberately damaged and destroyed by the Muslims. There is page after page, and I’m only posting a few examples, below. We must never return to those “pre-1967″ lines. Never.HT:Amnon and Jonathan.Here.
- Did Obama and Erdogan conspire against Turkish nationalists?(HurriyetDaily).The credit for the question in my headline goes to Osman Durmuş, a senior member of Turkey’s Nationalist Movement Party, or the MHP. “Obama has given the orders: the MHP will not be in the parliament,” he said last Friday, in a meeting with his party members. “Instead, PKK militants will go there in mass… This is the project of Obama; the project of the AKP; the project of Tayyip Erdoğan.”The “project” Mr. Durmuş was referring to were the series of secretly taped videos showing various senior MHP members in sexual acts with females who do such things for a living. In the past few weeks, these “sex tapes” indeed have shaken the MHP severely, leading to the resignation of 10 senior members of the party. Many predict that this will influence the MHP negatively in the upcoming general elections. The party, Turkey’s third largest, might face the risk of falling under the 10 percent national election threshold.In other words, these “sex tapes” are clearly an operation against the MHP or its current cadre. In that sense Mr. Durmuş might be right. But I really don’t think President Obama, the United States government, or any other foreign power has anything to do with the “project.” We must rather look at home.The more important matter is the culprit of the conspiracy. Here I freely use the C word, from which I often refrain, for this is undoubtedly a well-crafted plot. Someone must have been monitoring MHP members for a long time to infiltrate into their private lives, and find the safe houses they use for secret intimacies. Then they must have broken into those places to install hidden cameras. Then they must have archived and edited the scenes to release them at a critical moment — like a few weeks before general elections.From the beginning, a shadowy website (www.farkliulkuculer.com) claimed to be behind the operation. The name of the site literally means “different idealists,” the ideal being that of the Turkish nationalist movement. The unknown masters of the site claim to be a splinter group within the MHP, which is fed up with the corruption in its leadership. But one really wonders whether such MHP-loving nationalists would launch such an internal war at a time when their party is heading toward a critical election.That’s why I find it more plausible to think that an agent outside of the MHP is more likely to be behind the plot.But who is that agent? Here, as usual, the two opposing camps in Turkey have totally opposite theories. For the anti-AKP camp, this certainly must be a plot cooked up by pro-AKP forces, most probably elements within the police. The loss of the MHP will be a gain for the AKP, according to this theory, and therefore the culprits of videotapes must be the “new deep state” created by Erdoğan and his party.For the opposite camp, the usual suspect is the “old deep state,” the one mastered by staunch Kemalists and their allies. The intention behind the plot is to “redesign” the MHP, and make it more supportive of the old establishment. Those who advance this argument also recall that a similar “redesign” was made on the CHP about a year ago, when its old and weary leader Deniz Baykal was replaced by the more promising Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu via a similar sex tape.As for me, well, I can’t decide which theory, if any, is true. As the Rumsfeldian language goes, there are many known unknowns and unknown unknowns in this story. Filling such gaps in knowledge with presuppositions might be national pastime in Turkey, but it really is not a safe way to search for the truth.Yet it is certainly the job of the police, and the AKP government to which it is tied, to find the conspirators of the sex tapes. If the party falls below the 10 percent electoral threshold, and stays out of the parliament for the next four years, the tapes will be remembered as an “intervention” into politics by nonpolitical means, leaving a stain on Turkish democracy. Few people will continue to put the blame on President Obama, but more people will put it on Prime Minister Erdoğan. So Erdoğan, for his own sake, should do whatever it takes to find the hidden men behind those hidden cameras.Hmmmm.....I wonder if Obama and Erdogan will talk about it during their weekly phonecall?Read the full story here.